What's new

SF3: 3rd Strike Online; News, Updates and Info!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition Due Out This Summer

Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition has a release window. The game is due out on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network this summer, for 1,200 Microsoft Points, or $14.99.

Third Strike Online Edition is a downloadable game, but Capcom USA say it has the highest budget of any downloadable game they’ve created. They've released a trailer and screenshots:

Source

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Why Didn’t Capcom Rebalance Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition?

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online has graphic filters, single player challenges, and new music. What it won’t have is rebalanced characters.

Seth Killian, Strategic Marketing Director of Online & Community, answered:

Seth Killian said:
We had discussed it, actually, somewhat extensively. The first time I wrote this document for this game was probably, maybe, two and half years ago. When we put together the basic pitch, we did have as part of the potential budget a rebalance. In order to achieve some of the other things I felt were absolutely necessary for the game to be released – budget was going to be an issue, playtesting in terms of time, and balancing was going to be an issue
Seth Killian said:
Third Strike had over ten years of a competitive history. For anyone who wants to say the game is ridiculous in terms of balance or anything like that – there are very few games that have that kind of history that are actually as bad as they say they are. But, we do understand where they are coming from and it is something we considered.
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition will have a training mode to teach players how to parry. And for the pros you can upload replays directly on to YouTube. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition will also have downloadable content, but Capcom has not revealed what kind of content at this time.

Source

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition’s Graphics And Filters:

Seth Killian said:
We didn’t redraw the graphics, of course, those are done with filters and things like that.

Even though there are just filters, there was still a lot of work put into that.
Seth Killian, Strategic Marketing Director of Online & Community, said in an interview with Siliconera. S.Kill dug into the details:

Seth Killian said:
There are three filters, including an unfiltered version and we can’t take any credit for that. Even when the other two filters are applied they are applied on a per character basis. The way the original characters were drawn they were shaded differently. The use of negative space and shadows varies across characters. Even if you apply a filter that looks good overall to some of the characters, it doesn’t necessarily look good to all of the characters.
Source

---------------------

August 23rd to PSN, August 24th to XBL

Zebster

How's my volume?
I hope it sells well, so that Capcom will be motivated to include GGPO in more games, and to try to have more complete games like this in the future.

Whoa holy geez 600 posts already.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope it sells well, so that Capcom will be motivated to include GGPO in more games, and to try to have more complete games like this in the future.
Not just Capcom games, every fighter. I really hope the MK Arcade Kollection will have GGPO, but I highly doubt it. However, it does need it... badly.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Welp, looking through SRK, starting to look like people are losing faith in the game because there are a lot of differences spotted in the game that aren't arcade perfect, and is reminding them of the DC port of the game. Looks like it wasn't as arcade perfect as we were led to believe.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Mmh another Crapcom fighter eh. Swore off Capcom after the third repackaging of SF4 and all their shaddy DLC bullshit. But Third Strike just might interest me enough to buy it. $14.99 is a bit too steep for me though. And with confirmation that the game was not rebalanced and how that will affect online play makes me want to pass (everyone will tier whore the few broken characters). Also, Deux Ex Human Revolution comes out the same day. GG Capcom.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Mmh another Crapcom fighter eh. Swore off Capcom after the third repackaging of SF4 and all their shaddy DLC bullshit. But Third Strike just might interest me enough to buy it. $14.99 is a bit too steep for me though. And with confirmation that the game was not rebalanced and how that will affect online play makes me want to pass (everyone will tier whore the few broken characters). Also, Deux Ex Human Revolution comes out the same day. GG Capcom.
This is SF BEFORE Ono and the SF4 series. The SF3 series is fucking golden. period. And $15 for a port with GGPO netplay is worth 5 times more imo.

And rebalanced? why? Who is "broken"??

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
This is SF BEFORE Ono and the SF4 series. The SF3 series is fucking golden. period. And $15 for a port with GGPO netplay is worth 5 times more imo.

I've always heard good things about Third Strike from friends, but personally never got a chance to play it hardcore. I fear that just like SSF2 HDR, majority of the online players would be the super-hardcore-arcadestickusing fans and I wont stand a chance. Also, not a big fan of the newer characters added post SF2. No idea who the broken characters are but reading the interview w/ Seth above he said they purposely chose not to rebalance the game. Why would the game need rebalancing if it wasnt broken in one area or another ? And as the case for fighting games, most players just whore out top tier characters and that's all we'll see online.

thwak

Noob
I've always heard good things about Third Strike from friends, but personally never got a chance to play it hardcore. I fear that just like SSF2 HDR, majority of the online players would be the super-hardcore-arcadestickusing fans and I wont stand a chance. Also, not a big fan of the newer characters added post SF2. No idea who the broken characters are but reading the interview w/ Seth above he said they purposely chose not to rebalance the game. Why would the game need rebalancing if it wasnt broken in one area or another ? And as the case for fighting games, most players just whore out top tier characters and that's all we'll see online.
If I were in charge of rebalancing the game I wouldn't really nerf characters as much as I'd buff the lower tier characters. Like 3rd strike didn't have a lot of OP characters, it just had a lot of useless characters like sean and remy. Sometimes you would see guys really take low tier characters and do amazing things with them, like pino with necro or hayao with hugo, but it was easier to play the game with mid to high tier characters than it was with the lower ones.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
If I were in charge of rebalancing the game I wouldn't really nerf characters as much as I'd buff the lower tier characters. Like 3rd strike didn't have a lot of OP characters, it just had a lot of useless characters like sean and remy. Sometimes you would see guys really take low tier characters and do amazing things with them, like pino with necro or hayao with hugo, but it was easier to play the game with mid to high tier characters than it was with the lower ones.
Okay thanks for clarifying that. I'll talk to my gameshare group about buying it. Split 4 ways thats $3.75 and at that price it's a steal.

Sasuga

Noob
I've been wanting this for so long and I'm getting it for sure. But as much as I want to, I just don't have the time to play this game as much as SSF4:AE and MK. I hardly have the time to play those 2. But I'm picking it up, even if it's just for Capcom support.

Makato anyone? I dont know too much about SF3 TS, but I know that Makoto is broken. Her super? The one with the punches then launcher? Too f'ing powerful

Tim Static

Adminerator
Makato anyone? I dont know too much about SF3 TS, but I know that Makoto is broken. Her super? The one with the punches then launcher? Too f'ing powerful
Powerful, yes. Broken? no way.

Makoto, Ken and Chun are all very very good in this game. Regardless, i am just glad REAL SF is coming back!!

Okay thanks for clarifying that. I'll talk to my gameshare group about buying it. Split 4 ways thats $3.75 and at that price it's a steal.
lmao man, $15 is a steal. Read the first post here, there is tons of stuff coming with the game, including again, GGPO NETPLAY!!

3S0 one of the best fighting game ever made.

3S0 tier list isn't as important as MK9/SSF4/ etc etc due to parry system. Majority of the game comes down to the players skills, ability to read/react and mindgames. 3SO has a high learning curve, because of the parry system and what it brings to the game.

Whoever said Makoto is broken is just talking out of their ass.

There are only 2 top tier characters and those 2 are Chun-Li and Yun. But they aren't "OMG this is an 8-2 matchup gg", or any of that shit.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Can't wait to actually learn this game now! I know some stuff but I'm a complete noob right now. :wow:

DIRTY

Noob
Can't believe I'll most likely be playing an over 10 year old game over MK9. It'll be so nice to have commands come out when I enter them VS a second later. But still, Saddening. :(

Tim Static

Adminerator
Can't believe I'll most likely be playing an over 10 year old game over MK9. It'll be so nice to have commands come out when I enter them VS a second later. But still, Saddening. :(
newer never meant better!!

ST, UMK3, MvC2, SF3:3s = best fighters ever!! (imo)

I just hope the return of this game does not steal AEs thunder, i never really cared for 3rd strike but im not going to say i hate it , its just kind of you know meh~ BUT if CVS2 was anounnced instead of this well then id be hype , but im just MEH

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Idk why, but 3rd strike interests me while other SF games dont interest me in the slightest. Not trying to hate but just stating the way I feel. Looking forward to this release, trying to get it MAME32 emulated atm but no luck yet. :(

Would the MAME version with online be better than this re-release, sum1 in this thread here said it mite not be arcade perfect or some such thing.

retic

Noob
disappointed in the sense that Super SF 2 Turbo HD remix was rebalanced but this one wasn't.

If you thought Kung Lao in MK9 is bad, try facing off against Chun Li in 3S. I'm so thankful they revamped Chun Li after 3S (CvS2 and eventually, the SF4 series).

1: 3S Chun Li pissed off even Daigo (google up the epic comeback of Daigo against Justin Wong in Evo and listen to the commentary), one of THE best SF players in the world. That should say alot about the need to rebalance 3S. IMO, I find her WORSE than Ibuki in 2nd Impact.

2: on my very first time to play 3S, I picked Chun Li and had a 5 win streak against seasoned players in the game.