What's new

Self Reflection-Improving Your Game

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Lmao where do I start I could go on for days..

Why you always fucking jumping bro stop that shit

Bro stop inputting so fast that's why your rocket cancels off of 123 become 12 machine gun

You've been playing jax for months yet still fuck up the spacing on a jump in punch

Stop trying to armour out after someone used a jump in punch they are plus dumbass even if you blocked it man just wait

Bro yes they are baiting you but guess what it's not a one person tango you can fucking do it too!

Bro if he's blocking and baiting your dash punch why would you test if he might drop his block with the fucking dash punch he was obviously baiting.

Bro they will poke out your 1-1 mix it up man wtf

Yes calm down calm the fuck down man and press your buttons properly

Just cause you're plus doesn't mean your invincible.

Bro stop fucking dash punching on wake up all the fucking time

Bro you can punish kung Lao teleport with stand 1 why the fuck are you trying to uppercut

Bro you have low strings, use em

Stop fucking falling for obvious bait bro

Stop Yolo Rushdown man your not the only one with and armored wake up

Bro Yolo 123 to break armour will not always work please use your fucking brain on what your doing on wakeup

Bro you cannot armour armour break nut punch,punch walk or Ferra torrs run thing stop fucking trying too

You are not the greatest jax player in the world stop kidding yourself and put 100% in every match so you don't have to be salty after

Stop fucking kidding yourself and go lab matchups because blockstrings exist and you keep fucking falling for them

Stop poking everything man your d1 is 6 frames sure but bro it's not meant to poke out of every single fucking thing man

Learn tactics and learn to adapt and stop fucking falling for scrubby zoning

You're not the only one who can be plus man respect some shit please

You cannot always jump over hallsparks stop

You're main damage is in the corner why the fuck are your trying to fight mid screen

Rocket launcher is no the best projectile stop using that shit like that

Stop underestimating your opponents

Stop falling for telestomp

Stop falling for kung lao spin

Stop falling for johnny cage mixups

Stop looking at your character look at your opponents

Stop jumping when playing against kitana

Stop trying to fucking zone out Quan Chi with Pumped Up Jax

Yes.it's grandmaster stop being so hasty he controls the tempo just go with it

What the fuck is footsies? Use em dumbass

That's my self reflection I just want it somewhere in text so I can always review and then work on it

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Patience could use some work.

I could block better than I do.

I backdash on wake up too much.
(Probably a habit I picked up from abusing Batman's godlike backdash)

I let my temper get the best of me and salt out to the point where nothing productive gets accomplished.

I over-respect my opponent's options.

I have trouble keeping people out of the air.

I have EXTREMELY bad tournament nerves which have cost me games I could have just as easily won if I had calmed the fuck down.
I'm not on your level, but I have advice for you here.

Don't focus on anything except what you have to do.

None of it matters. What you're going to get, what can happen, who is next, even what they might do - is completely irrelevant unless you do what you gotta do.

Be single-minded, not simple-minded - and just do it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm not on your level, but I have advice for you here.

Don't focus on anything except what you have to do.

None of it matters. What you're going to get, what can happen, who is next, even what they might do - is completely irrelevant unless you do what you gotta do.

Be single-minded, not simple-minded - and just do it.

I'll keep this in mind for my next local.

I tell you man, it's tough. In tournament I'm either super respectful or so anxious I start fucking up. I've played in at least three locals, a handful of offline casuals where I do fine, and was at an event called Red September under the name, "Retired Tom Brady(because I'm an unrepentant jackass)."

GQJ

Noob
Besides everything?

My pressure strings after pokes aren't tight enough. So I get no respect.

Pretty cool thread. Great responses.

GAV

I'll keep this in mind for my next local.

I tell you man, it's tough. In tournament I'm either super respectful or so anxious I start fucking up. I've played in at least three locals, a handful of offline casuals where I do fine, and was at an event called Red September under the name, "Retired Tom Brady(because I'm an unrepentant jackass)."
Take a breath. For nervous fighters, I always make up some kind of routine for them to do before going in. The routine doesn't matter. Its the nerves that matter. It sounds to me like you're clever, so play to the crowd. Then, once its time - just focus on what you have to do.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
As a Lao player:

1) im so into the pressure shenanigans that i forget to bait reversals. sometimes, i get opened up cause i think im +12 and i can do the hell i want everytime.

2) my oki, stagger, throw mixup game is not that great yet. I usually fall into patterns. also, i dealy wake up too much.

3) this is mostly online but, when i do 112124 i still have to hit confirm better and go either ex hat on block or regular on hit. I spend bars that i could've saved for better purposes.

4) i forget that i cant spin without my hat on :p

As a player in general:

1) Input errors (a lot)

2) drop combos in clutch situations

3) too much respect when i could've just get in and go ham, i usually freeze up a lot

4) maaan... i should start ducking dem projectiles :D

these are the things im working on right now

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Take a breath. For nervous fighters, I always make up some kind of routine for them to do before going in. The routine doesn't matter. Its the nerves that matter. It sounds to me like you're clever, so play to the crowd. Then, once its time - just focus on what you have to do.

I really appreciate it. One thing I'm working on is to ignore the guy sitting next to me and focus solely on fighting the character.

So, this one time at Red September, I'm fighting this Cassie player. The first match goes my way. He goes to the character select screen and picks Sonya. No big deal.

Until his team mate shows up and starts coaching him. He's standing behind me and coaching his friend. So I'm trying to fight this Sonya nonsense and I keep hearing him calling out my moves and pumping up his boy.

I lose my concentration and get bopped at a crucial moment.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Nope, I'm a perfect player.

The only reason I lose is online lag, I don't know the match up, or the match up actually sucks.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Hey kid, stop assuming "They'll block it eventually" if Ronins b21 hits 7 times in a row so be it. Do the same kombo over and over but when they block it. Then prepare the adaptation.

My god I hate when people do not block a mix up ever.

GAV

I really appreciate it. One thing I'm working on is to ignore the guy sitting next to me and focus solely on fighting the character.

So, this one time at Red September, I'm fighting this Cassie player. The first match goes my way. He goes to the character select screen and picks Sonya. No big deal.

Until his team mate shows up and starts coaching him. He's standing behind me and coaching his friend. So I'm trying to fight this Sonya nonsense and I keep hearing him calling out my moves and pumping up his boy.

I lose my concentration and get bopped at a crucial moment.
Headphones, ... always bring them. When someone comes to coach, pop 'em on and hone in with some good tunes. As long as you know the matchup, you're not going to hear anything profound.

When I play Madden, I lock in on the area directly around the QB. I know where my receivers are and I can read the coverage in my peripheral effectively. This lets me traverse ground with my QB, helping out blockers, eluding defenders, creating lanes to throw, and taking easy run yardage.

In MKX, look directly at your opponent. You know what your character is doing, so there's no need to focus on that. Put your complete focus on your opponent's character. It will help you make reads. Any tells or nuances, you will notice.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
I'm far to rush down, against opponents that use 50\50 characters I will go all out attack so that they waste their bars on breakers instead of big damage 50\50 combos, it works 60% of the time all the time.

I also seem to pick characters that aren't meant to be played on this shitty PS4 pad, so i drop alot & get destroyed for it.

If I could block properly as well, that would help.

Anyway, apart from those, I'm ok-ish.

I don't back dash enough. I never got a habit of doing it since it costs stamina. I also get too frustrated playing online. I drop a ton of strings and have difficulty with AA do to timing. I'm getting better with the frustration but I think that's because I'm starting not to enjoy the game online completely. Once that happens it will become a dust collector.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
1. I'm free to crossups even though I have practiced how to anti-air them.

2. I'm free to throws even though I know when a person is going to throw and which way. So instead of neutral ducking or teching I just block and eat the throw.

3. I sometimes go for the wrong combos in certain situations.

4. Need to get better at walking and whiff punishing.

5. General summary of above points: Not translating all knowledge into gameplay

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Massive reliance on gimmicks than in my head are utter genius but in reality are so easy to blow up by anyone half decent.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I tend to respect my opponent way too mutch, suck at antiairs and have issues against the "yolo" playstyle, probably because I rely a lot on reads.

EDIT: my tournament nerves are horrible.

Last edited:
I try to blow up armor attempts way too much. I should go for mixups more, because the opponent is probably already respecting my pressure.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
- I jump too much
- I press too many buttons when I shouldnt be especially since i play lasher where pressing buttons at the wrong times will get me killed
- I armor too much to the point where i can easily get baited

Agilaz

It has begun
I jump too much.

I lose patience too quickly and end up killing myself by going ham.

OR

I'm too patient, respect too much, and become afraid to press any buttons at all.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Completely agree with your mindset, Espio. Nobody will ever hear me use an excuse for losing to somebody offline.

Although obviously, you shouldn't take it too far and blame yourself for anything that happens online. Nor should you take much credit for online wins. Shit is broken. Back to topic of OP.

1) I need to learn patience. So badly. I have a lot of trouble dealing with characters who are often plus on block, and especially cancel characters. I start pushing buttons, get rekt for it, and then I begin clenching my controller too hard and messing up my inputs.

2) Execution. I have gotten much, much better at this, but I still have work to do. I've been straight up living in the lab attempting to get this down. I've come a long way, although my number 1 issue (patience) occasionally leads to temporary regression.

3) I too go on auto-pilot with my zoning sometimes. Basically, this is an awareness thing. I need to keep in mind who I am playing, meter, and the health bars at all times.

Solid thread. It feels good to write that all out, it's been in my head as a mental list for a while now.

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
I play when I'm too tired.

After i come home from work/gym i realistically only have enough energy for maybe 5 fights..... but i love MKX