What's new

Question - Scorpion Scorpions in tournament

So @Kroaken and myself were discussing this earlier.

Why do we not see more scorpion loyalists in tournaments? Most characters have competitive loyalists players, but scorpion you only really see @YOMI RM JagoBlake and @Mitsuownes unless I'm just blind and missing some people.

Anyone got answers as to why we don't see many scorpions in tournaments and the lack of loyalists for the character.

Skedar70

Noob
Its the same for almost every character. How many Kitanas do you see represented? Kitana Prime??? How many reptiles(pig, milky) how many shinnoks(cowboy), Raiden(nivek), Dvorah(honeybee) FerraThor(biohazard). Theres is usually one or two maybe three representatives at the most for each character in the tournament scene. A few characters get more.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Its the same for almost every character. How many Kitanas do you see represented? Kitana Prime??? How many reptiles(pig, milky) how many shinnoks(cowboy), Raiden(nivek), Dvorah(honeybee) FerraThor(biohazard). Theres is usually one or two maybe three representatives at the most for each character in the tournament scene. A few characters get more.
I agree and disagree..

There are more players than that for each character, depending on the event, but if you're only looking at finalists you're right..

True. Which is the point I made, but I think it is more noticeable with scorpion since he is one of the two flagship characters (scorpion / sub zero similar to ryu/Ken for SF series).

We were just debating his viability since you don't see many in tournaments and sometimes see, arguably, worse characters at times.

@Kitana Prime was a prime example of what I was saying. He is one of the only kitana loyalists that people can name off the top of their head. Reptile has a few. D'vorah is a strong character that you don't really see outside of @HoneyBee. Same with f/t.

A lot of characters have this and I think a lot of it has to do with players who just really love the character and enjoy being a loyalist, but some characters you don't see much of that at all. I don't know if it's because not alot of people love the character or because the character isn't as tournament viable.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Many ppl prob feel having only 1 character in tournaments isn't enough to win. It's at times became a counter picking fest that having a pocket is needed hence lack of loyalists. The only explanation I can come up with lack of Scorpion players is prob due to the Scorpion Syndrome (aka everyone knows the matchup)

MK_Al

Noob
check out @Crathen, an Italian scorpion main and very smart and skilled player (and a very nice guy as well). he beat f0xy grampa 3-2 in viennality pools, won some EU tournaments and played a very good set against madzin in the eu esl top 8 about three weeks ago - if i remeber correctly. definitely one of my favourite eu players

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
check out @Crathen, an Italian scorpion main and very smart and skilled player (and a very nice guy as well). he beat f0xy grampa 3-2 in viennality pools, won some EU tournaments and played a very good set against madzin in the eu esl top 8 about three weeks ago - if i remeber correctly. definitely one of my favourite eu players
He was an Erron Black main, which is why some people might not have noticed his switch to Ninjutsu.

Skedar70

Noob
True. Which is the point I made, but I think it is more noticeable with scorpion since he is one of the two flagship characters (scorpion / sub zero similar to ryu/Ken for SF series).

We were just debating his viability since you don't see many in tournaments and sometimes see, arguably, worse characters at times.

@Kitana Prime was a prime example of what I was saying. He is one of the only kitana loyalists that people can name off the top of their head. Reptile has a few. D'vorah is a strong character that you don't really see outside of @HoneyBee. Same with f/t.

A lot of characters have this and I think a lot of it has to do with players who just really love the character and enjoy being a loyalist, but some characters you don't see much of that at all. I don't know if it's because not alot of people love the character or because the character isn't as tournament viable.
I think its more player preferences. F/T is an example of a completely viable tournament character that people simply don't use because they don't like the character. Scorpion seems pretty viable to me. I mean I've seen Blake lose not because of some cheap character but because of a bad read, better read by the opponent or dropped combo etc.

Skedar70

Noob
You can also check streams for pools. You will probably find lots of character varieties in pools. Many scorpions probably.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
The real reason and probably the most significant reason we don't see many Scorpion players in tournaments because most tournament players just play to win. So they base their character choices on those characters that in the layman's term are called OVERPOWERED. Scorpion is a mid-level well balanced character that requires a player to really think and use wise tactical choices at the risk of getting punished and being placed into almost a lock-down/frame-trap situation that causes you to waste meter just trying to escape. The haters who say "no its because I like Cage or I like Mileena or I like Kung Lao or I like Jax or I like Sonya." Proof of their truth in saying they don't pick characters based on the OP factor is to have them main Scorpion and enter a tournament. Bottom line. All other excuses are just that, excuses.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
On another note, one may ask why would someone like Jagoblake and Eddy Wang or Mistownz (however u spell his name) stick to Scorpion if they know other characters in the roster are more Overpowered/more advantageous to use and better the chances of winning? Well its because when a player knows and is convinced that a character is well built and solid and at least falls in the mid-level category, that is usually enough to satisfy a player who is not a tournament tier whore. I use Scorpion myself and I also use Mileena, Goro, DVorah, Alien, Ermac and Smoke. I know four of the other characters I use are stronger than Scorpion, but I'm happy with Scorpions well built and new buffed state. So its enjoyable to use him because I know I'm not at a complete disadvantage in using him at the casual level.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
Blake
Slips
Crathen
Mitsu
Strykie
JTB
Jin
Man0
Viking

EU seems to have a more popular Scorp presence
What hell ever happened to Slips? He took shitty MK9 Scorpion to the highest place anyone could have taken that horribly built version and died with Deathstroke in IGAU. Where is he today?

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
As for Jagoblake, I was disappointed he shifted to Sonya in MK9, gained back my respect for him with his Batman in IGAU and I still have a space in my heart for him because of the MKvsDC era where his Scorpion was GOD!

Mitsuownes

Grandmaster of the Shirai-Ryu
On another note, one may ask why would someone like Jagoblake and Eddy Wang or Mistownz (however u spell his name) stick to Scorpion if they know other characters in the roster are more Overpowered/more advantageous to use and better the chances of winning? [...]
Because I love that character and rather lose with him than win with another one.

Last edited: