What's new

Question - Hellfire Scorpion's 214>tp>21>spear troubles.

Hi, I'm new here so hi everyone. I did a search for my question but really couldn't find anything although I'm sure it's been asked before, guess I haven't looked hard enough. Anyways I've been practicing scorpion's 214,teleport,21,spear combo for days now and I can't connect it at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried doing it all super fast, I've tried walking towards them a little after the teleport hits, I've tried letting go of the pad and just stand there after the teleport hits and press 21, nothing has worked. Can anyone tell me exactly how it's done? I mean can anyone explain the timing on this combo? Do I have to wait a little after the teleport? It seems this is the hardest combo ever. Thanks.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
It's a timing thing, you'll know if you were too fast just a standing 1 will come out, if 21 is coming out but whiffing you need to go faster. It's probably the latter, the timing is deceptive.

If it's still bothering you, it's been made a lot easier in the beta so that will likely be patched into the main game within about a month

Th
It's a timing thing, you'll know if you were too fast just a standing 1 will come out, if 21 is coming out but whiffing you need to go faster. It's probably the latter, the timing is deceptive.

If it's still bothering you, it's been made a lot easier in the beta so that will likely be patched into the main game within about a month
Thanks for replying. A few questions, what's whiffing mean? Also I'm a noob to this mk so what do you mean by the beta? I thought betas were before any actual game was released? Sorry I'm a newbie!

God Confirm

P.S. just a warning tho that this aint even the hard stuff, you gunna be looking at dual Flame Aura links per combo and very tight control to make run cancels jail.

God Confirm

Th

Thanks for replying. A few questions, what's whiffing mean? Also I'm a noob to this mk so what do you mean by the beta? I thought betas were before any actual game was released? Sorry I'm a newbie!
Whiffing just means "missing" but whiffing is a more encompassing term.

Yeah Beta's are generally held before, but MKX is about to recieve a big multiplayer update, and there is a beta being held for it, and its given us insight into likely changes in the next upcoming patch.

Whiffing just means "missing" but whiffing is a more encompassing term.

Yeah Beta's are generally held before, but MKX is about to recieve a big multiplayer update, and there is a beta being held for it, and its given us insight into likely changes in the next upcoming patch.
Ah ok I got it. Well thanks for the heads up about the difficulty, I've always been very good at fighting games, took a looong break and mk x got me back into gaming. About run cancels, is it the same as the run cancel with raiden? Because I literally just learned that today with Raiden. It's where you start the fireball but then run at the opponent to continue a combo right?

God Confirm

Ah ok I got it. Well thanks for the heads up about the difficulty, I've always been very good at fighting games, took a looong break and mk x got me back into gaming. About run cancels, is it the same as the run cancel with raiden? Because I literally just learned that today with Raiden. It's where you start the fireball but then run at the opponent to continue a combo right?
Yes indeed, FBC (fireball cancel) is the term for it. If you are confident in your ability to master tight timings, Hellfire is very underrated character and is only about to get stronger, but you should practice mastering Flame Aura linked in 21 as the one combo. It's a 2 frame link and quite difficult.

Scorps mid combo run cancels are generally not too difficult, 21 FBC 21, or 21 FBC 4, but the difficulty is 214 FBC 214 pressure on block (practice against Cassies non-ex flip), and opening up with F3 FBC F3 on block and finding the timing where it strings on hit but spear doesn't come out on block, can be difficult for a while. Good luck, if you have any more questions feel free to message me or just post here or tag me at anytime.

Jason Pls

Certified free as fuck
Hi, I'm new here so hi everyone. I did a search for my question but really couldn't find anything although I'm sure it's been asked before, guess I haven't looked hard enough. Anyways I've been practicing scorpion's 214,teleport,21,spear combo for days now and I can't connect it at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried doing it all super fast, I've tried walking towards them a little after the teleport hits, I've tried letting go of the pad and just stand there after the teleport hits and press 21, nothing has worked. Can anyone tell me exactly how it's done? I mean can anyone explain the timing on this combo? Do I have to wait a little after the teleport? It seems this is the hardest combo ever. Thanks.
Personally, I learned the timing by watching the kick part of the teleport, and when that finishes, inputing 21. It's worked for me ever since and it'll become muscle memory soon enough. For a while I had the issue of inputting too early, so it came out s1 instead of 21, so be careful of that. Good luck!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It used to work consistently until it got nerfed.

Replace your 21 with 12~spear for now, if the beta buffs sustains through the main game, the 214 repetitions will be re-usable again.

Personally, I learned the timing by watching the kick part of the teleport, and when that finishes, inputing 21. It's worked for me ever since and it'll become muscle memory soon enough. For a while I had the issue of inputting too early, so it came out s1 instead of 21, so be careful of that. Good luck!
Thanks. By the kick part do you mean as soon as he 4 connects??

Yes indeed, FBC (fireball cancel) is the term for it. If you are confident in your ability to master tight timings, Hellfire is very underrated character and is only about to get stronger, but you should practice mastering Flame Aura linked in 21 as the one combo. It's a 2 frame link and quite difficult.

Scorps mid combo run cancels are generally not too difficult, 21 FBC 21, or 21 FBC 4, but the difficulty is 214 FBC 214 pressure on block (practice against Cassies non-ex flip), and opening up with F3 FBC F3 on block and finding the timing where it strings on hit but spear doesn't come out on block, can be difficult for a while. Good luck, if you have any more questions feel free to message me or just post here or tag me at anytime.
Flamed aura linked in 21 means do a 21 then into the flame aura right? That seems pretty easy unless thats not what you mean?

Jason Pls

Certified free as fuck
Thanks. By the kick part do you mean as soon as he 4 connects??
Oh no, if you watch the teleport animation, he has a burning kick that hits the opponent. As that animation finishes up, Scorpion's model is just about back to neutral, so you can input 21 and it should come out. I hit it 98% of the time, and the times I don't are when online really doesn't want me to get hits in or if I haven't touched MK in a while.

Oh no, if you watch the teleport animation, he has a burning kick that hits the opponent. As that animation finishes up, Scorpion's model is just about back to neutral, so you can input 21 and it should come out. I hit it 98% of the time, and the times I don't are when online really doesn't want me to get hits in or if I haven't touched MK in a while.
Oh ok I get it now thanks I'll try!

God Confirm

Flamed aura linked in 21 means do a 21 then into the flame aura right? That seems pretty easy unless thats not what you mean?
Nope, other way around. Flame Aura to reset them standing, and then connect a 21 (or a standing 4) cancelled into TP afterwards, that is your standing reset into block string pressure with Flame Aura up, and some variation of this is how you want to be ending all your combo's p much.

Nope, other way around. Flame Aura to reset them standing, and then connect a 21 (or a standing 4) cancelled into TP afterwards, that is your standing reset into block string pressure with Flame Aura up, and some variation of this is how you want to be ending all your combo's p much.
How do you reset them standing? I mean if you start with a flame aura then do a 21 or 4~ TP does that mean I can do 214~TP,21~flame aura,21 again?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
How do you reset them standing? I mean if you start with a flame aura then do a 21 or 4~ TP does that mean I can do 214~TP,21~flame aura,21 again?
Ideally all your combos should end like so:

(Simple example)
214 trlepunch 21~spear jip2~f4~flame aura 21 teleport.

That last tele that hits them standing leaves you at massive frame advantage Allowing you to continue pressure with FBC and what have you.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge

that last bit you mentioned sounds like an OS....i thought they fixed that shiet...

Thanks guys I'll keep practicing, one more question about run cancels with both scorpion and raiden, I've noticed that if you do the db1 and you start seeing the fireball motion then you can just tap ff without even releasing 1 and it'll FRC, I mean you don't even need to press block or release the 1, im confused as if this is how good players do the run cancels or do you guys actually do the db1,hold1,then ff+block,release 1? I mean wouldn't the first method be so much easier?

God Confirm

that last bit you mentioned sounds like an OS....i thought they fixed that shiet...
Yeah it's really lame it's like a reverse OS, on hit you'll always get what you input, but on block the exact same input of F3 FBRC will either give you F3 Chain, F3 raw fireball, or F3 FBRC, depending on how long you delayed the input. B3 is even worse.
Thanks guys I'll keep practicing, one more question about run cancels with both scorpion and raiden, I've noticed that if you do the db1 and you start seeing the fireball motion then you can just tap ff without even releasing 1 and it'll FRC, I mean you don't even need to press block or release the 1, im confused as if this is how good players do the run cancels or do you guys actually do the db1,hold1,then ff+block,release 1? I mean wouldn't the first method be so much easier?
What you are doing there is dash cancelling, so you have to wait for the animation of the dash to finish before you can press any buttons. Run's can be cancelled straight into normal at any time. The point of the FBC is to remove the whole backswing animation of a move like 214, it still leaves them block stunned for as long but you can really reduce your recovery by cancelling the string into a Fireball cancelled back into a normal, the difference is massive, the 214 string usually leaves him like -12 or something, instead it now leaves him about +7. And yeah, we hold tap FF+block, and then release 1 and immediately go into the next normal. You just gotta get confident in just punching the whole sequence out at lightning speed.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yeah it's really lame it's like a reverse OS, on hit you'll always get what you input, but on block the exact same input of F3 FBRC will either give you F3 Chain, F3 raw fireball, or F3 FBRC, depending on how long you delayed the input. B3 is even worse.

What you are doing there is dash cancelling, so you have to wait for the animation of the dash to finish before you can press any buttons. Run's can be cancelled straight into normal at any time. The point of the FBC is to remove the whole backswing animation of a move like 214, it still leaves them block stunned for as long but you can really reduce your recovery by cancelling the string into a Fireball cancelled back into a normal, the difference is massive, the 214 string usually leaves him like -12 or something, instead it now leaves him about +7. And yeah, we hold tap FF+block, and then release 1 and immediately go into the next normal. You just gotta get confident in just punching the whole sequence out at lightning speed.
the whole OS select thing just gives me a headache thinking about it, i really don't try to attempt that stuff since its awkward to pull off and its clearly not intended. Plus i thought it was gone.

Ahhh ok got it!!! Yea I can't do anything until I stop doing it this way that I mentioned, thanks a lot bro. Now I see that it's a dash cancel and not a run cancel, thanks. How do you run? Ff+block or f+fb at the same time? And does it matter in FBRC's?

God Confirm

the whole OS select thing just gives me a headache thinking about it, i really don't try to attempt that stuff since its awkward to pull off and its clearly not intended. Plus i thought it was gone.
Yeah, this isn't a beneficial OS in any way, I mean you ALWAYS want FBC on block and you most definitely NEVER want to chain on block, the whole point of the run cancel is to be able to safely hitconfirm F3 FBC F3, or B3 FBC B12... so you just gotta play around the game option selecting out DEATH when you input THE CORRECT INPUT a millisecond too fast... it's super lame for a Scorp player.

What's OS??
Option select is where the exact same input sequence gives you one option in one circurmstance like on hit, and another in a different one like on block. It usually involves timing, and was generally used in a beneficial manner to make stuff safer, e.g. people were able to time Raidens safe special that ended a combo so that his unsafe B2 launcher was cancelled into it becoming safe on block, but on hit the special didnt come out so his B2 launched. It was basically a really stupid game mechanic that benefit some characters more than others, everyone hated it, and for the most part it has been removed, with very few exceptions here and there.

Ahhh ok got it!!! Yea I can't do anything until I stop doing it this way that I mentioned, thanks a lot bro. Now I see that it's a dash cancel and not a run cancel, thanks. How do you run? Ff+block or f+fb at the same time? And does it matter in FBRC's?
That's up to you and pretty minor, just pump it out safe as possible, sometimes get FF,Block sequence or I get F,F+Block at other it's not super relevant.

Hey quick question, when you hit the 21 after the teleport kick what are you doing on the pad? I mean are you just neutral on it as in you're holding no direction? Or are you pressing forward or back?