What's new

Strategy Scorpion stuff that isn't talked about a lot

Auto-correct Spear
Dashing under crossups is a full punish if you hit 1 because the inputs will auto correct into a spear.

Got the idea from Dhalsim slide :D

111 spear isn't all bad. It's similar to how cyrax players go for 21 net on block. Don't use it if the opponent's crouch blocking though.

High risk, high reward. Not my kinda thing, which is why I'd never play scorpion.

111 spear isn't all bad. It's similar to how cyrax players go for 21 net on block. Don't use it if the opponent's crouch blocking though.

High risk, high reward. Not my kinda thing, which is why I'd never play scorpion.
2,1 xx Net is punishable too. Using takedown is better because all your giving up is a free blockstring if it's blocked. However, Scorp can armor out of the opponent's followup.

That's an unnecessary risk IMO.

I'll have to agree with K.O.E_18 on the 111~spear. There's really no reason to ever do that. 111~takedown is the smartest thing you could do and once is respected, opens up other possible mixups.

-1,1,1 takedown it's a good option and for the most part it's safe. However, certain people will start grabbing the fuck out of you if you are too repetitive with this. You can also go for an ex-spear after a takedown if you know a grab is coming.
All good mixups bro. 1,1,1 is underrated. I'm using the 2,1,2 string more because of the mixups, and the pushback on block allows you to whiff punish low pokes.

lol the grab after the Takedown can be neutral crouched, and punished with 3,3 xx Spear. I use the grab because it's hard to react to, and tech.

This guy in my clan named Steelslither would love this 1,1,1 spear tech. Another risky thing that he does is JK teleport. Does 111 spear connect if the opponent goes from standing to crouching?
Steelslither? lol I beat him in a FT5. I thought it was you playing on another account at first. He's pretty good.

All good mixups bro. 1,1,1 is underrated. I'm using the 2,1,2 string more because of the mixups, and the pushback on block allows you to whiff punish low pokes.

lol the grab after the Takedown can be neutral crouched, and punished with 3,3 xx Spear. I use the grab because it's hard to react to, and tech.
Wow seriously. All those times you grabbed me! You Mofo!

As we all know, if you AA with Spear you can't use Scorp's BnB because of the gravity. However, you can get a Void setup from it.

AA Spear - njp - dash, 2 xx TP - f4,3 xx Spear​
It's 26% damage, so it does more damage than the Vortex AA Spear combo.

Yea he is pretty good. Why did you think it was me playing though? Me and him have different play styles. Since you beat him in a FT5 I'm assuming you had good connection and punished his ex teleports.
In lag I punish ex tele with throw lol. Nobody else on XBL knows how to play Scorpion about scrub level lol

ryublaze

Noob
Not trying to discourage you from using that. I'm saying that at the highest level possible your basically giving your opponent a free punish of his choice. In terms of risk/reward it's a very bad idea. It's also a difference between playing unsafe, and just punishing yourself.
Not trying to be mean, but please don't act like I don't play Scorp at a high level. I'm probably the only Scorpion player who plays with Slips (or played cuz I'm not in STL anymore) and probably one of the best Scorps on PSN. I already know about 1,1,1,takedown and that's the safe mix-up which I do when I have no meter, but if you're playing a high risk/high reward Scorpion then you would go for b2/f4 or the 1,1,1,spear. What you're saying is similar to saying "I should go for f4,takedown instead of f4,spear cuz the spear is extremely punishable on block and it's an unnecessary risk." Scorpion has to take risks if he wants to succeed, and I'm not going to be giving up all that damage with 1,1,1,takedown when instead I could've gotten a full combo into void if I did 1,1,1,spear.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
from a b2 u can do 2 tele 2 tele 33 spear crossover punch f21 tele is like 30 from standing and 33 from an aa
The hitbox on standing 3 has kinda quirky collision detection if you're trying to get it after a 2nd tele tho, I wouldn't advise it for non-veteran Scorps.

Speaking of which, anyone remember that thread F0xy made about B2 making no sense because it scales less if you use it on an airborne hitbox? (before TYM crashed) One thing I never understood is why a single standing 3 on an airborne opponent scales less than 3,3..

InFlames

dead
Dude, saying spear on block is punishable isn't a good argument cuz Scorp's b2 and f4 spear are punishable too. 1,1,1,spear is also an unsafe mix-up but the difference is is that it builds meter which is crucial for Scorpion when he guesses wrong and needs breaker. What is so bad about it besides spear being punishable on block? I've caught a ton of people with it even offline. My sparring partner, Error knows about this and Playpal who I played today. Others I forgot cuz it was so long ago but there are videos on youtube of me playing Scorp and catching people with it too. Slips even said it isn't a bad option in the other thread.
Victim here. :(

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I agree with RedRaptor 111 spear is worth going for sometimes. (Only while they are stand blocking though of course so it can't be ducked) If you are unsure how people react to the move then only do it when you have breaker to test just like anytime you take a big risk with Scorp. LBSH people don't give a shit about getting hit by a takedown but they will give a shit getting hit by a spear..

I agree with RedRaptor 111 spear is worth going for sometimes. (Only while they are stand blocking though of course so it can't be ducked) If you are unsure how people react to the move then only do it when you have breaker to test just like anytime you take a big risk with Scorp. LBSH people don't give a shit about getting hit by a takedown but they will give a shit getting hit by a spear..
if the spear can be ducked after 111 its pretty bad. its like kung lao's 1121spin but it doesnt hit mid.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
How much is jip f4 (hit and block) ex tele 334 takedown on chip and whats it build meter wise?

I like using safe setups like this that you can use to get in that head mentally while taking damage, building meter and being safe.

ryublaze

Noob
if the spear can be ducked after 111 its pretty bad. its like kung lao's 1121spin but it doesnt hit mid.
You have to jail them into stand block (like after a teleport on hit) so they can't duck the spear. 1,1,1 on crouch block the spear will go over their head.

How much is jip f4 (hit and block) ex tele 334 takedown on chip and whats it build meter wise?

I like using safe setups like this that you can use to get in that head mentally while taking damage, building meter and being safe.
Idk but using any blockstring into ex tele the opponent can crouch block or neutral crouch and punish the teleport. 3,3,4 can't be linked into specials.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
It can't be ducked if they stand block the 111. Which is why this is mainly only good after a jip.

And KL's spin doesn't lead to void. Its worth going for sometimes, just like its worth going for f4 spear or b2 sometimes too.

If your playing someone who understands its ok to get hit by Scorpion's pressure because he can't really keep the momentum when it hits you gotta do it.

Dude, saying spear on block is punishable isn't a good argument cuz Scorp's b2 and f4 spear are punishable too. 1,1,1,spear is also an unsafe mix-up but the difference is is that it builds meter which is crucial for Scorpion when he guesses wrong and needs breaker. What is so bad about it besides spear being punishable on block? I've caught a ton of people with it even offline. My sparring partner, Error knows about this and Playpal who I played today. Others I forgot cuz it was so long ago but there are videos on youtube of me playing Scorp and catching people with it too. Slips even said it isn't a bad option in the other thread.
I myself don't like 111 spear and would prefer to remain neutral to space my opponent. This way I can play footsies instead of hoping for something to land. My method of trying to land a spear would be by staggering the 111 string and hit confirming, not by guessing.

Just because something is a gimmick and works doesn't mean it's good. It means you gambled for a chance at a combo. Now, some argue Scorpion is all about gambling but then if that is the case you may as well do every damn gimmick in the book and even then, you'll never be in full control or have a greater chance than 50/50 of landing anything anyways.

In the long run, your probability of success remains 50% if you rely on a gimmick, regardless of the amount of gimmicks you introduce to your game plan. Although it can play in your favor, it can also play in their favor as well.

In the end, the random spear does work but I believe you will need some heavy conditioning before using it.

It can't be ducked if they stand block the 111. Which is why this is mainly only good after a jip.

And KL's spin doesn't lead to void. Its worth going for sometimes, just like its worth going for f4 spear or b2 sometimes too.

If your playing someone who understands its ok to get hit by Scorpion's pressure because he can't really keep the momentum when it hits you gotta do it.
If kung lao had decent midhitting strings he wouldnt have to spin. the spin is to make them respect you so you can pressure them further, kung lao has that 21/24/1121 stuff. But you can use it sometimes, its stupid how they dont have anything solid for scorpion to use and its almost always circimstancial

ryublaze

Noob
I myself don't like 111 spear and would prefer to remain neutral to space my opponent. This way I can play footsies instead of hoping for something to land. My method of trying to land a spear would be by staggering the 111 string and hit confirming, not by guessing.

Just because something is a gimmick and works doesn't mean it's good. It means you gambled for a chance at a combo. Now, some argue Scorpion is all about gambling but then if that is the case you may as well do every damn gimmick in the book and even then, you'll never be in full control or have a greater chance than 50/50 of landing anything anyways.

In the long run, your probability of success remains 50% if you rely on a gimmick, regardless of the amount of gimmicks you introduce to your game plan. Although it can play in your favor, it can also play in their favor as well.

In the end, the random spear does work but I believe you will need some heavy conditioning before using it.
Depends on how you define gimmick. Sub's ground freeze is considered a gimmick cuz it can be escaped every time. I don't like to call Scorp's 50/50 a gimmick cuz your opponent has to guess. Some gimmicks like that one Air Throw spear thing I posted (lol) aren't worth doing.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
You have to jail them into stand block (like after a teleport on hit) so they can't duck the spear. 1,1,1 on crouch block the spear will go over their head.

Idk but using any blockstring into ex tele the opponent can crouch block or neutral crouch and punish the teleport. 3,3,4 can't be linked into specials.
Ohhhh

So jip f4 ex tele they can interrupt w crouch/uppercut?

thanks

Not trying to be mean, but please don't act like I don't play Scorp at a high level. I'm probably the only Scorpion player who plays with Slips (or played cuz I'm not in STL anymore) and probably one of the best Scorps on PSN. I already know about 1,1,1,takedown and that's the safe mix-up which I do when I have no meter, but if you're playing a high risk/high reward Scorpion then you would go for b2/f4 or the 1,1,1,spear. What you're saying is similar to saying "I should go for f4,takedown instead of f4,spear cuz the spear is extremely punishable on block and it's an unnecessary risk." Scorpion has to take risks if he wants to succeed, and I'm not going to be giving up all that damage with 1,1,1,takedown when instead I could've gotten a full combo into void if I did 1,1,1,spear.
It's no need to act like a school girl bro. I already said you can play how you want. It doesn't bother me in any way, shape, or form. 1,1,1 xx takedown offers the exact same mixups that your mentioning. The difference is that it's much safer. I don't know where your getting this mindset of if a character is unsafe to play you might as well say fuck it. The character should still be played safely to avoid unnecessary punishment. What your saying is like playing AE and doing a SRK/Tatsu in a blockstring....your getting punished every single time!

LBSH, 90% of players will be blocking low regardless if they respect the takedown or not. The point of a blockstring is to stay safe. You never want to hand your opponent advantage on a silver platter. In this case your basically fucking yourself. It's unnecessary. I can only see this working on an overly anxious player.

EDIT: jailing after a jip is cool, but why would they just let go of block after a safe string that can be canceled?