What's new

Scar Asks: Do u feel MK11 should have variations?

Did variations idea work?

• No! Explain.

Votes: 81 51.9%
  • Yes! Explain.

Votes: 75 48.1%

• Total voters

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I think my opinion goes against the grain on this one.

I think variations are great and the arguments against them are nonsense.

"one or two variations are always stronger than the other" well no shit. That's bound to happen. The community just doesn't want to utilise them the way they were designed. The existence of "variation mains" who complain about their bad match ups is evidence of this.

Not every variation in this game could ever be fully tournament viable. If you ever expected that, then you are a fool.

If it hadn't been for variations (and indeed some of these "useless" variations such as noxious) we'd still be getting sold bills by communities that think they know everything about the game a week after release.

The fact remains that this game will be left under-explored when we move on to I2 and people who claim to know MU numbers for certain probably don't know shit (recent Alien Kang debacle for example).

However, saying this, I actually don't want variations to exist in exactly the same way for MK11, purely because I feel that they were something that made MKX unique and I"d like to see another innovation for MK11.

trufenix

bye felicia
Your logic is highly flawed and reaching to the highest degree. There's so many holes in it, I don't know where to begin. What a gross, vague, broad overstatement.

It's easy to see your a debater to the highest degree, and debating with you looks to be like giant a waste of time. I don't think you even know what you're debating; just debating.

Anyways, I stated my opinion.

trufenix

bye felicia
Yes.... Because math.
Here's some math for you

amount of time it takes to design / model / write a character < amount of time it takes to slap a sword on an existing characters back and call it a variation

also

number of well balanced games with less than 10 characters < number of balanced games with more than 10 characters.

dubson

Noob
Here's some math for you

amount of time it takes to design / model / write a character < amount of time it takes to slap a sword on an existing characters back and call it a variation

also

number of well balanced games with less than 10 characters < number of balanced games with more than 10 characters.
You're claiming that designing a character takes LESS time than slapping a sword on a characters back and calling it a variation? That makes zero sense.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

"amount of time it takes to slap a sword on an existing characters back and call it a variation" is exactly why NRS games are so hard to balance. They don't put much thought into things all around. Just throw shit in there and let it fly in the wind and let the players figure it out; lazy as hell.

That's why NRS gets laughed at. They just care about making money (guest characters) and how the game looks graphically, not about the actual gameplay. Hence why they move on from games so fast, they're already working on the next one.

You're saying the number of well balanced games with less than 10 chars is less than those with more. That's such a stupid statement. Barely any fighting games had less than 10 characters except the very first ones. Games had less characters back in the day because they didn't have the room for the data. It's simply easier to manage the game as a whole with less characters. You can disagree all you want, it's simple logic.

Why don't you shoot your list off now (of well balanced games compared to non well balanced games greater than/less than 10 characters) and let's see who we're talking to. I bet you won't.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I don't particularly like the variation system, and for one sole reason: it simply doesn't make sense.

It just feels completely silly that a character only knows how to do certain moves sometimes. Like why can Mileena do her regular Sai Blast all the time, but in her Piercing variation, she can suddenly do an additional variation of it, the Low Sai Blast? It just doesn't make sense to me whatsoever.

The only ones that actually make sense are the ones who bring a different weapon, such as Jason and Erron Black, for example. But overall I feel like too many of them are a bit of a stretch, like Ermac and Raiden for example... Guys who still have the same powers, but only know certain moves based on the situation. I just don't like that idea at all.

ShaolinChuan

LEARN FROM THIS
I loved the variations, so I hope they return for MK11. 3 per character is a good amount, no more, no less.

Only Triborg can have a 4th variation :DOGE

mkl

Poopbutt.
Characters like Kotal Kahn prove that the variation system is a very unique and fun take on the genre when it works right. Every single variation he has is viable and has strengths where the others do not. Even Alien, Kung Lao, Triborg, Sonya, etc ended up having at least two great variations with a third at least viable one. The problem was making it this way for every character. That's an undertaking that's just too difficult. I vote yes just because when it works it's amazing and FUN.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'd still be fine with conservative approach, just saying. In my humble and deeply personal opinion, if devs really want to create extra moves, they can as well be available all at once. Maybe some of them will be gimmiky when they have to compete with each other, who cares. People won't be ready for every single thing from a huge list.

I'd prefer that over mechanically unreactable but expectable moves.
And extra stage of character select screen warrioring, for that matter.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
i think variations is a great idea to stick with, not that they have had there forst attempt at it i believe they will do much better next time, also this is probably the best game they have ever made. so with that said i don't think they did to bad, more so they did horrible at balancing the game from the start.

on another note MKXL is not over yet at least for me, i remember MK9 lasted at least a good 5 years for me and i feel this one will last 7 or so.

add to that there is more to come, MKXL on PC and the promised character love / Buffs. can't wait for Kenshi/Cyrax/CyberSub Zero and Sub Zero to get some nice changes among other characters like Lao.

all in all i Vote Yes Variation's is a good idea but i do not understand why anyone is talking about this so early, 1 year is not so long for a fighting game especially Mortal Kombat games. and with hoiw long they have been taking recently to make a game yeah, and once again they are not done adding to the game. we herd from them before that they where gonna hop back and forth between MKX and Injustice 2. and thats just what they have done. soon we will start to see the changes, right now we allready have Open Beta for MKXL on PC :)