What's new

Rushdown Sektor Strategies

ryublaze

Noob
When I say "rushdown" I mean "offensive".

I'm trying to develop new strategies for rushing down but I want to know what other people think.

So I've been messing with max range F2. Usually the opponent tries to poke afterwards, but if you back dash and do F2 again you can interrupt their poke. If F2 gets blocked again, you can back dash and repeat. Negative edge might affect you and you get a Flame Burner but that's no problem since it'll still hit the opponent. You might also be able to back dash, forward dash and interrupt with B3, 4, TU. If the opponent tries jumping at you when you back dash, you can anti-air with 1. Once the opponent's conditioned to not poke, you can do B3 or Throw. If F2 hits, you're at +6 so this can lead to the next thing I want to talk about...

I think my training buddy already posted this for the Sektor guide but on block if your opponent is expecting 1, 2, B1 you can stop the 1, 2 and do B3. B3 on hit lets you go into the 1, 2 mix-up again. If they expect the B3 and try to poke while you are doing 1, 2, B1 the B1 will hit and lead into full combo. You can also mix in Throw after B3 on hit. I think I've seen IKizzLE do this so this is most likely not new.

NKZero

Noob
yeah that make-shift 50/50 between 122 and 12 into B3 is in the guide but I cannot remember who suggested it to me. If someone blocks standing then you can always follow up F2 with a 12B1 or 12 pressure or whatever. Everything else you suggested seems legit as well.

Also the point of B3 isn't necessarily for the frame advantage (otherwise of course you are better off with D4). You are just testing how they are blocking. Of B3 as you said you can do 12 mix-up or finish with B34 or B3-throw etc.

Perhaps at my level of play I'm just missing something, but how can a character who has so many normals that wiff on crouch rushdown?

ryublaze

Noob
Perhaps at my level of play I'm just missing something, but how can a character who has so many normals that wiff on crouch rushdown?
Not the type of rushdown like Johnny Cage's. Being defensive and zoning with Sektor gets boring for me and I want to be more offensive. I'm trying to avoid the normals that whiff on crouch and go for F2 and B3 pokes. Up Missiles can also help 1, 2 not whiff on crouch.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
I use f2 to get in but only when the other player is at a disadvantage to allow this move to work. Because what i found out at final round is that the top players will poke this move as its on its way in. If they start poking after this is blocked what would be a better option is back dashing and whiff punishing the low poke with Sektors best whiff punisher...b2~tu b21,b34extu 12~flame...or the shorter version. Thats what i do anyway. You can also cross them up to punish the low poke. When I do a f2 i sometimes go for a 12 trap or b3 pressure. If the other player is smart though like Morty Seinfeld, they will poke after the block.

Then calling it a rushdown seems a tad disingenuous to me. It sounds like what you're talking about is more akin to aggressive footsies than anything.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
One thing to remember is that knee stance exists and in dash and special move cancellable. Ive had a tremendous amount of success creating mixup situations with knee stances as far as mid screen away. you have the option of knee stance/dash cancel grab which is instant. Knee stance/back dash b1 and so forth.Plus it allows some links to happen off of jump in punch that shouldnt work.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Rushdown sektor is something that won't last long against someone with a D1 or D3.

If you can't jail them, don't bother. With most characters anyway.

NKZero

Noob
Rushdown sektor is something that won't last long against someone with a D1 or D3.

If you can't jail them, don't bother. With most characters anyway.
Isn't Sektor in essence a zoning/footsie character? B1 and F2 as advancing/retreating pokes while zoning with the missiles and punishing with 12B1 for full combo when possible? I mean you have some up missile set-ups up close as well as some B34 shenanigans but he's most effective at 2/3-3/4 screen no?

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Isn't Sektor in essence a zoning/footsie character? B1 and F2 as advancing/retreating pokes while zoning with the missiles and punishing with 12B1 for full combo when possible? I mean you have some up missile set-ups up close as well as some B34 shenanigans but he's most effective at 2/3-3/4 screen no?
exactly.

not rushdown, lol.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Good players that know Sektor just poke after 1 2 so that mix up of 1 2 b1 or B3 isn't really good. Poke interrupts b1 after the 1 2, as well as the 2, and the 4..

Sektor is a footsie character.. Once I started using him that way I did MUCH better.
That isn't to say you shouldn't rush down. Just make sure that when you do so, you're making the right reads. Expect a down poke, block and use the advantage you just got to open up other options...

devil_puncher

Sektor Supreme
I rush down all the time! Dash 12b1 is what I do and it pays off, but as they down poke I just give them a deep jump in kick and TU combo. ^_^

NKZero

Noob
Good players that know Sektor just poke after 1 2 so that mix up of 1 2 b1 or B3 isn't really good. Poke interrupts b1 after the 1 2, as well as the 2, and the 4..

Sektor is a footsie character.. Once I started using him that way I did MUCH better.
That isn't to say you shouldn't rush down. Just make sure that when you do so, you're making the right reads. Expect a down poke, block and use the advantage you just got to open up other options...
I realise that people don't finish the 12 strings a lot with either B1 or 2. Even if 12 is blocked and B1 launches you can still react in time and salvage a decent damaging combo. If 122 hits you can continue pressure or launch missiles or whatever. 122 especially is sorely under-used and I saw Maxter using it @ On the Edge II a couple of days ago to great success. That then opens up the B3 mix-up after 12 because the opponent won't think about poking. It's all about conditioning.

NKZero

Noob
I rush down all the time! Dash 12b1 is what I do and it pays off, but as they down poke I just give them a deep jump in kick and TU combo. ^_^
I wouldn't rely on it too much. If the opponent is stand blocking them you can abuse any of his strings. Otherwise stick to B34, B21 or create footsie mind games with B1 and F2. If you want to press the offense you have to find a suitable up missile set-up in order to give yourself a free jump in. But trust me man, Sektor out footsies a lot of the cast and out zones a lot of the cast and always has the thread of instant air teleport to punish the opponents' zoning attempts. That's how he operates best.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I realise that people don't finish the 12 strings a lot with either B1 or 2. Even if 12 is blocked and B1 launches you can still react in time and salvage a decent damaging combo. If 122 hits you can continue pressure or launch missiles or whatever. 122 especially is sorely under-used and I saw Maxter using it @ On the Edge II a couple of days ago to great success. That then opens up the B3 mix-up after 12 because the opponent won't think about poking. It's all about conditioning.
1 2 2 is one of the least useful strings in Sektor's Arsenal. I don't think you're understanding how easy it is to poke after 1 2. If you do 1 2 and the opponent pokes, here's what happens:

You go into B1, you just got poked out.
You go into 4, you just got poked out.
You go into 2, you definitely got poked out.
You go into B3, easier to see coming so yeah, you got poked out.

1 2 2 does not condition people to stop poking. In fact, it encourages it.

NKZero

Noob
1 2 2 is one of the least useful strings in Sektor's Arsenal. I don't think you're understanding how easy it is to poke after 1 2. If you do 1 2 and the opponent pokes, here's what happens:

You go into B1, you just got poked out.
You go into 4, you just got poked out.
You go into 2, you definitely got poked out.
You go into B3, easier to see coming so yeah, you got poked out.

1 2 2 does not condition people to stop poking. In fact, it encourages it.
What's the frame data for poking out between 12B1 and 122?

Also there are so many ways to condition the opponent to do something. If I do 12 and I anticipate a poke, I'll block, they're negative frames and I counter-poke and get big advantage. That's not even the thing though. You make a good point about being able to poke out but if that was the case, it would render Raiden's strings useless. Also if the gap is tight why take the risk?Risk/reward is heavily in Sektor's favour. We are human at the end of the day and we won't react correctly and accurately in every situation. Also since I have never been poked out of 12B1 and 122, why should I stop abusing them?

I mean they aren't my go to strings (12B1 I use as a punish only really and 122 on standing opponents to try and get a high/lox mix-up if possible with B3) but still you cannot just rely on B34 when you are up close.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
What's the frame data for poking out between 12B1 and 122?

Also there are so many ways to condition the opponent to do something. If I do 12 and I anticipate a poke, I'll block, they're negative frames and I counter-poke and get big advantage. That's not even the thing though. You make a good point about being able to poke out but if that was the case, it would render Raiden's strings useless. Also if the gap is tight why take the risk?Risk/reward is heavily in Sektor's favour. We are human at the end of the day and we won't react correctly and accurately in every situation. Also since I have never been poked out of 12B1 and 122, why should I stop abusing them?

I mean they aren't my go to strings (12B1 I use as a punish only really and 122 on standing opponents to try and get a high/lox mix-up if possible with B3) but still you cannot just rely on B34 when you are up close.
You're right..
But poking in between these strings isn't that hard. If you kan kounter poke (punish a d3) then you definitely kould poke in between these strings. Raiden's strings don't wiff against crouching opponents. Sektor's do. People kan poke after the first jab in 1 2, and after the 2, and in whatever comes after it. They kan duck block, wait for the wiff, then poke. Not that hard when you're given that much time to react.

If people don't know the character then that's fine. I just tend to play against people that do.. And when you play against people that know the character you might begin to feel helpless when you kan't fall back on your basic tactics.

The most effective way I've found to "rushdown" with Sektor is d3/b3 and throw. It's a similar gambit to Smoke; harass them with d3 until they block low and then throw. Only Smoke gets a b24~Smoke Bomb out of it.

Sektor's throw is really good though. The throws in this game either put you at full or mid screen, and Sektor's is the latter. And since throws are untechable knockdowns, this puts you right back into footsies range. It's also one of, if not the, shortest throw animation in the game so it doesn't give you're opponent a breather to think of what they are going to do next.

B34 is also fairly effective, as you don't have to buffer it with a d3 or b3 first to make sure the 4 hits against half the cast.

ryublaze

Noob
I wish you could rename threads because "rushdown" and "offensive" seemed to have been mixed up. Personally, I like to call any type of offense rushdown.

As for poking out of 1, 2, B1, we're talking about when the 1, 2 is blocked. This can occur after any jump-in punch. Everyone knows that the first two hits whiff on crouch. That's where the D3 and B3 come into play.

I like Sektor's throw because it puts you at perfect distance for a max range Flame Burner or footsies range.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I wish you could rename threads because "rushdown" and "offensive" seemed to have been mixed up. Personally, I like to call any type of offense rushdown.

As for poking out of 1, 2, B1, we're talking about when the 1, 2 is blocked. This can occur after any jump-in punch. Everyone knows that the first two hits whiff on crouch. That's where the D3 and B3 come into play.

I like Sektor's throw because it puts you at perfect distance for a max range Flame Burner or footsies range.
Yeah, it isn't a complete rushdown like some other characters.

I didn't know that.. I stopped using Flamethrower as much as I used to lately. (My training partner is a Cyrax player so maybe that's why. lol)

The most effective way I've found to "rushdown" with Sektor is d3/b3 and throw. It's a similar gambit to Smoke; harass them with d3 until they block low and then throw. Only Smoke gets a b24~Smoke Bomb out of it.

Sektor's throw is really good though. The throws in this game either put you at full or mid screen, and Sektor's is the latter. And since throws are untechable knockdowns, this puts you right back into footsies range. It's also one of, if not the, shortest throw animation in the game so it doesn't give you're opponent a breather to think of what they are going to do next.

B34 is also fairly effective, as you don't have to buffer it with a d3 or b3 first to make sure the 4 hits against half the cast.
I agree. Sektor's throw works really well when you condition them not to poke. It kan pretty much put you where ever you want. Throw them and dash back for zoning, or dash forward for pressure, or simply stay put at the footsie range. It's really the fear of the low starter that allow you to get that throw.

NKZero

Noob
I agree. Sektor's throw works really well when you condition them not to poke. It kan pretty much put you where ever you want. Throw them and dash back for zoning, or dash forward for pressure, or simply stay put at the footsie range. It's really the fear of the low starter that allow you to get that throw.
Wait, 12B1 doesn't jail standing off a JIP?