What's new

Run-jabs: if you could do UMK3 over, would you keep them in?

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
I was thinking about run-jabs the other day (probably on the toilet or something), and I figured that the makers of UMK3 probably never had them in mind when they made the game. I figure this type of thing is common in fighting games, where a dominating high-level tactic involves a technique that the designers didn't even put in there intentionally.

I wish there was some way to disable the run jabs, because I'd love to see how the game changes without them. Like, if a close-range LP just gave you the first hit of an autocombo, as if you had hit HP... it would change up the whole pressure game!

So if you could change history, would you change the way run-jabbing (or, by extension, throw-blocking) works?

Tim Static

Adminerator
I was thinking about run-jabs the other day (probably on the toilet or something), and I figured that the makers of UMK3 probably never had them in mind when they made the game. I figure this type of thing is common in fighting games, where a dominating high-level tactic involves a technique that the designers didn't even put in there intentionally.

I wish there was some way to disable the run jabs, because I'd love to see how the game changes without them. Like, if a close-range LP just gave you the first hit of an autocombo, as if you had hit HP... it would change up the whole pressure game!

So if you could change history, would you change the way run-jabbing (or, by extension, throw-blocking) works?
First off, one should always keep a notebook or voice recorder by the pot. Best thinking I do is on there or in shower. :)

I also wonder how much, especially with all the combo vids nowadays, of how much of todays gameplay was made for on purpose. I mean, with Ed & companies track record for making NOT VERY GOOD games, I wonder how much was by accident. hehe

As far as changing run jabs, I am on both sides of the fence. Using it to your advantage is great, especially keeping your opponent on their heels, making them make mistakes, and hence, punishing time. But I also see how fucking cheap they are and such, so I dunno.

I guess it would be like playin UMK3 wirh Run disabled, or playing MK2 :)

PS- good thread Busta :p

it wouldn't be as fun thats for sure
I Agree.

Also Tim, I asked that question some time back, though asking if Boon and Co actually meant to make a tier list by giving some characters stronger moves, cheaper properties and the such. I would Say Run Jabs are an accident. Making Kabal's Spin so damn powerful? Done on Purpose.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Run jabs keep the pace moving. A similar question would be, should blocked run jabs do chip damage? Run jabs would still exist and lock down opponents, but the damage they do little by little is no longer a threat.

Run jabs keep the pace moving. A similar question would be, should blocked run jabs do chip damage? Run jabs would still exist and lock down opponents, but the damage they do little by little is no longer a threat.
I don't think it would make a huge difference. Maybe with Corner traps, but Run jabs are used more for pressure and baiting an opening used for a bigger combo.

I'd be a lot harder to beat that's for sure (because of my playstyle along with a lot of other people too) and I really don't use them so i wish they weren't in there, but it is what it is

FILER

Noob
Run jabs are necisary. Almost everyone runs away the entire game and turtles. It has gotten to the point where this game is retarded at times. If you pick Stryker, Sub, Reptile, or one of the teleporting ninjas and run away the ENTIRE game, you deserve to get run jabbed the shit out of.

Run jabs are necisary. Almost everyone runs away the entire game and turtles. It has gotten to the point where this game is retarded at times. If you pick Stryker, Sub, Reptile, or one of the teleporting ninjas and run away the ENTIRE game, you deserve to get run jabbed the shit out of.
What happened to the art of throwing projectiles? Besides if they're constantly "running away" you won't be able to get close enough for jabs anyways, am I correct?

NO they shouldn't be ... def the worst part of the game .
yeah cause you're the biggest [ban incoming] who posts here and have one of the worst attitudes on xbla. "put in the no block code you fuckin noob"

suck my dick :)

performing runjabs and reacting to them are half the fuckin game!

Remz

https//:wavenet.remz.ca
I think it's a good thing that run-jabs do chip damage, it forces the blocker to react in a relatively short time so its easier to guess when.

yeah cause you're the biggest [ban incoming] who posts here and have one of the worst attitudes on xbla. "put in the no block code you fuckin noob"

Probably the greatest post you've ever made! + Rep

I don't do them very often, but I think its a great way of keeping the gameplay varied and forcing your opponent to do something different. When umk3 came out on xbl all I had to do against 90% of opponents was use reptile's or the sub-zeros slide when they started rushing. I ended up pissing off a lot of people because I was spamming it to often, I had to explain to most of them that it was jabbable ;) and punishable.

Lol did you really get on here to just flame me?

Look man you need to chill out when i played you i was drunk so i will give you my apology but as far as the run jabs go i still dont believe they should be there be cause i believe it was an accident in the first place Ya Dig?

Lol did you really get on here to just flame me?

Look man you need to chill out when i played you i was drunk so i will give you my apology but as far as the run jabs go i still dont believe they should be there be cause i believe it was an accident in the first place Ya Dig?
You've been acting like this since fuckin '06. Why do you come to this website? It says where throwing is always encouraged! People say half this fuckin game is an accident, either way, it is what it is, deal with it. If you like playing umk3 at a high (even medium...) level you don't even think about run jabs, they're just part of the game. So no, acid, I don't dig.

Personally I have a real hard time believing that reptile's, kung lao's and stryker's infinites are all by accident. Seems ridiculous to me to believe that. If so jesus christ did the makers get lucky with that one.

Tim Static

Adminerator
blaming drunkeness = ultra lame

but yeah, who cares what was meant or not. Its there, and if you dont use it, fine. You dont HAVE too. :rolleyes:

HAYRON

Noob
I would say that they were by accident.

I would actually think that Kabal's powerful spin was partly on accident as well. I think they intended it to be very useful, but I don't think they realized how far people would be able take it. (IE traps, on crossover jumpers, from crouching)

And I think you'd see a lot more fake attacks in the game in place. You'd see more fake ducking or stopping short and sweeping or LKing to train the opponent that you're stopping early. More of the lesser used tactics would be more prevalent.

Just FYI. I played this guy Leethaaal awhile back and smoked him a couple rounds w/o using any runjabbing, just some mid-damage juggles. After about 3 beatings he cussed me out and said "Yeah, your probably one of those jerk-offs from ultimatemk.com who thinks running in and LP'ing over and over is a strategy too."...... My response..... "well. yeah." lol.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I don't care what part of the game was an accident and what part was intended to be in it, I love the fucking game, it's just so fun, the fast paced action is what made the game so awesome and fun to play. there's no other game like this in terms of speed and aggressiveness.

I'd keep the run jabs, but I have to admit, back in 2000, few people used run jabs around here, and we *fucking scrubs* thought that that part of the game was just cheap and retarded. it was so annoying JAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJ, but when I decided to play the way the game is meant to, I begun to have a lot more fun. even today I have fun playing it. I haven't played in 1 month, though jeje

You've been acting like this since fuckin '06. Why do you come to this website? It says where throwing is always encouraged! People say half this fuckin game is an accident, either way, it is what it is, deal with it. If you like playing umk3 at a high (even medium...) level you don't even think about run jabs, they're just part of the game. So no, acid, I don't dig.

Personally I have a real hard time believing that reptile's, kung lao's and stryker's infinites are all by accident. Seems ridiculous to me to believe that. If so jesus christ did the makers get lucky with that one.
what are you talking about "since '06" sure i was a dick then and then changed my ways man i even believe there is a thread on here somewere about it ... point is i never made a personal attack on you i attacked run jabs and all i said was that if you werent able to use them then you wouldnt be able to beat me a lil cocky? sure i was drunk and annoyed but i even sent you a message after the match telling you that you were as good if not better than me so dont give me that "since '06" . second i like to play no block because it forces each player into constant combat . but i did not once disrespect you just the run jabs even though as soon as the game was over you blast me with a message calling me a novice and a noob i didnt come scrawling onto here to say anything about it man. so chill out / if you dont like me too bad im not trying to be everyones friend some people are my friends on here some people are not but i refuse to go back to my old ways and argue this topic any further this thread is about run jabs not your disliking for me .