What's new

Round Time Standard

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
So I've been noticing that in the demo round times are set to 90 seconds automatically (as opposed to 99 seconds.) Assuming this stays in the full game, what do you guys think should be the tournament standard for round time?

I know Evo likes using whatever rules come standard in the game, so they might use 90.

It may be hard to get that knowledge out to the general public, so people may practice on 90 seconds.

Also, it may be problematic having to change the setting from standard every time we have to use a setup.

I just think this is something we should discuss before the game is released, just in case.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't get why 90 seconds would be problematic. It's just the default setting. Nothing wrong with that.

Tim Static

Adminerator
yea but it makes no sense why 90 seconds and not 99 when u can add the 9 seconds.

silly that they just didnt make 99 default.

THTB

The past 4 MK games have been defaulted to 90, actually. That's the main reason. Also, weren't the 2D MKs' timer ticks were faster than a second? As far as I understand, MK never actually has had full 99-second clocks.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The past 4 MK games have been defaulted to 90, actually. That's the main reason. Also, weren't the 2D MKs' timer ticks were faster than a second? As far as I understand, MK never actually has had full 99-second clocks.
I know UMK3 seconds are quicker than normal seconds. 90 to 99 is only 9 seconds, if 90 is default that just go with that.

Default. The difference between 90-99 doesn't matter IMO. And yeah, UMK3 only had about 90 second rounds (even though it said 99)

THTB

Well almost every tournament game like, ever, uses 99 seconds.
Tekken is 60 seconds, VF5 is 45, ST had a similar situation to the 2D MKs, so yeah. :p

And Tim, yeah I know, LOL...but hey, that is what happened. 90 seconds was default there...pretty much MK9 just continues that.

DrDogg

Noob
Unless there are ridiculous turtle fests, the timer doesn't really matter (so long as it isn't infinite time).

I don't think this is something that can be determined before the game releases though. We haven't seen what high-level play looks like. In the unlikely event that high-level play leads to fairly regular time outs, then we'd want to lower the timer setting (assuming we even can).