What's new

Road to Evo 2012 Event UFGT8: Mortal Kombat Top 8 Set for Sunday!

Im definitely supporting slips, he gave me all the support on the forums when I used to play scorpion. and scorpion is just awesome once he gets going.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
"My eyes and heart are burning with passion! I will grasp this victory with my fiery flames and spear! prepare for your undoing mortals" - An evil looking Slips

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
He was playing Cage and he looked awful. But he still beat ChrisG somehow.
Chris G could've switched to Reptile and won if he wanted. I think he just felt like playing Noob and really didn't care if he won or lost. It's interesting that Floe was playing Cage, even if he looked bad. That says to me that Justin or someone else has him actually playing the game, right?

Slips looks so bad ass, no wonder gay arabian dudes are hitting on him right and left.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Scorpion in top 8 winners!?

Flow playing MK again and making top 16!?

Chris G not making it out of pools!?

Sheeva almost in top 8!?

You guys are proving everything we know about Mortal Kombat wrong.

Flagg

Noob
Scorpion in top 8 winners!?

Flow playing MK again and making top 16!?

Chris G not making it out of pools!?

Sheeva almost in top 8!?

You guys are proving everything we know about Mortal Kombat wrong.
I sometimes wonder how much better players from other fighting games are than us. Chris G and Wong consistantly place high and they dont play the game that much. And now Floe?

I'd really like to see GGA Jeremiah make grand finals. A lot of people say Sheeva is the worst...I disagree. I think it's Kano. I just think people dont exploit the stuff Sheeva does have, except for players like Jeremiah. I could see Sheeva suddenly becoming the new Jade with "Oh, she has potential, etc...."

Vincent Gayadeen

SOEphoenix
I sometimes wonder how much better players from other fighting games are than us. Chris G and Wong consistantly place high and they dont play the game that much. And now Floe?

I'd really like to see GGA Jeremiah make grand finals. A lot of people say Sheeva is the worst...I disagree. I think it's Kano. I just think people dont exploit the stuff Sheeva does have, except for players like Jeremiah. I could see Sheeva suddenly becoming the new Jade with "Oh, she has potential, etc...."
we only understand abt 50-60% of this game so far imo......the tier list today may not be the same as the tier list 6 months from now.....some characters are still waiting on the right player to bring out their full potential eg. slips makes scorpian look top tier

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Matter of fact now that I think about it, I affected all of the top 8 players here. I played Slips with cage and he beat dizzy 2-0, I play Pig Of The Hut all the time and got him ready for UFGT, I play @0su 16 bit and give him kabal training every now and then, IKizzLE and I plays lots of games on ps3, I played @clintthebeast for a while in casuals at MLG along with soonk and lastly I play KevoDaMaN on xbox. Dizzy i shook everyone up with my cage so they are scared of yours :p

Cmon guys shoutouts to CURBOLICOUS?

I sometimes wonder how much better players from other fighting games are than us. Chris G and Wong consistantly place high and they dont play the game that much. And now Floe?."
This actually isn't true. The reason why multigame players like ChrisG and Wong do well in MK is because the game still is largely about fighting game - particularly 2d fighting game - fundamentals. Good spacing, meter usage (Noob combos aside), and good reads will do you good in MK just as well as it will be in SF or MVC3, and the top players in those games have those good fundamentals.

That said, you do see MK players with just as good fundamentals - CD Jr has shown that he can be pretty decent at SF games when he has gone to Big Two (He's gotten 4th at SFxT twice), and I'm sure REO could be good as well. The key is that they just don't want to play the other games as much, so you don't see the MK players doing well in other games because THEY DONT WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
It sux that UFGT didn't have a dedicated stream for MK. Comicpalooza ftw, we in there. all of the top matches were streamed and archived including Houston vs Louisiana 6v6

Matter of fact now that I think about it, I affected all of the top 8 players here. I played Slips with cage and he beat dizzy 2-0, I play Pig Of The Hut all the time and got him ready for UFGT, I play @0su 16 bit and give him kabal training every now and then, IKizzLE and I plays lots of games on ps3, I played @clintthebeast for a while in casuals at MLG along with soonk and lastly I play KevoDaMaN on xbox. Dizzy i shook everyone up with my cage so they are scared of yours :p

Cmon guys shoutouts to CURBOLICOUS?
Omg youre so cocky lol

Delriach

Sindelly
It sux that UFGT didn't have a dedicated stream for MK. Comicpalooza ftw, we in there. all of the top matches were streamed and archived including Houston vs Louisiana 6v6
Maybe if more people actually entered the tournament MK could have been taken more seriously. It sucks that it wasn't all streamed but it's not always going to be like that. If you want to see most tournament matches you have to be at the tournament. It's as simple as that.

And don't think it's some bias against MK. One of Chicagos best umvc3 players got into top 8 and none of his matches were on stream. No reason to expect MK, especially when it had only 58 entrants. Marvel and AE were more than double that. Same for SFxT. Skullgirls had almost 100 entrants. Kof had nearly 90. So no, we ain't in there. Stream monstering only goes so far. You don't add to the numbers by sitting at home.

There's really no excuse either. NRS even added to the prize pool. That's something Keits worked to do for us.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
you don't see the MK players doing well in other games because THEY DONT WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES.
Which in all honesty isn't exactly a good thing because you learn a lot playing different games at once, because you can actually transfer things you learn from other games into what you mainly play.

I didn't think about this before, but I do honestly think this screws over REO at times lol, now that I think about it. CDjr actually plays a lot of different games at once in comparison to REO.

Maybe if more people actually entered the tournament MK could have been taken more seriously. It sucks that it wasn't all streamed but it's not always going to be like that. If you want to see most tournament matches you have to be at the tournament. It's as simple as that.

And don't think it's some bias against MK. One of Chicagos best umvc3 players got into top 8 and none of his matches were on stream. No reason to expect MK, especially when it had only 58 entrants. Marvel and AE were more than double that. Same for SFxT. Skullgirls had almost 100 entrants. Kof had nearly 90. So no, we ain't in there. Stream monstering only goes so far. You don't add to the numbers by sitting at home.

There's really no excuse either. NRS even added to the prize pool. That's something Keits worked to do for us.
So much truth I can't even...ugh! JIZZING HARDCORE RIGHT NOW.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
What the hell is going on? Its says the top 4 is streamed at 6:30, but im hearing people spit up results and stuff.

Could someone with actual knowledge of the tournament please drop some info on it?

I watched Floe play. He hit most of his combos every time with Johnny. Like 2,1,F2, dash f3 nut punch, and he properly adjusted to do Johnny's corner combos as well when he got his opponent in the corner.

His MU knowledge of course was completely bare.