What's new

Rip 29 characters base roster... :(

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I couldn't give a shit about Skarlet or Frost.

I was surprised to see Shao Kahn featuring in story mode, as they hadn't done that with Goro or Darkseid previously - it'll certainly be interesting to see how that plays out. I hope Kotal doesn't lose literally every fight again, as he's my favourite new character and I want him to be a good Emperor : <
Interesting / Diverse roster doesn't take into account personal taste.

You said you wanted one but are personally omitting the entries you think are stupid/shouldn't be there. But that's part of Diversity and Intrigue. One man's garbage etc etc.

I think Skarlet is awesome, and I'm curious (But not optimistic) that Frost will be better than she was in the past. I could not give less of a damn about Kano and Sonya but they're going to be in every game. I'm looking forward to a SK vs KK fight! Should be fun haha Everyone will be waiting with baited breath to see the name of who you'll be playing as that chapter so we know who winds up dead.

Here's another option (which I'm not saying is true, but I'm not discounting it either) - if there are any extra, secret unlockable characters - then they'd be SECRET. As in, no one would talk about them. So when asked about Roster size - they will say "25 characters" not "25 characters and 3 secret ones.".

Because that's not how secrets work.

vapid

cyber warlord
Interesting / Diverse roster doesn't take into account personal taste.

You said you wanted one but are personally omitting the entries you think are stupid/shouldn't be there. But that's part of Diversity and Intrigue. One man's garbage etc etc.

I think Skarlet is awesome, and I'm curious (But not optimistic) that Frost will be better than she was in the past. I could not give less of a damn about Kano and Sonya but they're going to be in every game. I'm looking forward to a SK vs KK fight! Should be fun haha Everyone will be waiting with baited breath to see the name of who you'll be playing as that chapter so we know who winds up dead.
Ha, yes, don't get me started on all those Special Forces characters. :(

Its doesnt mean that 25 is all thats there. If There are secret kharacters then you obviously cant talk about it lol Im not getting my hopes up either way

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Here's another option (which I'm not saying is true, but I'm not discounting it either) - if there are any extra, secret unlockable characters - then they'd be SECRET. As in, no one would talk about them. So when asked about Roster size - they will say "25 characters" not "25 characters and 3 secret ones.".

Because that's not how secrets work.
That's exactly how secrets worked in MKX and INJ2, where Shinnok and Brainiac were both open secrets.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Weird, their website shows 29 slots. How can I, as a consumer, not get confused about it? Their marketing sucks tbh.
It could show 457 slots, all fading into varying degrees of obscurity...that doesn't mean there's 457 base characters. Could represent future DLC. Could represent unlockables. Could represent nothing.

The fact is, they've said more than a few times that the roster is going to be ~25. Boon just confirmed it in this latest interview, and because you may have set your own expectations too high, you're disappointed. And now you're looking for someone other than yourself to blame.

That's on you, not NRS. :)

SinkFla

Noob
Yeah as time went on the prospect of unlockable characters started to look grim :(. I will say however, that when I first heard the "Kronika and Shinnok are related" rumor I didn't fully believe it but now that seems to be true. It was the same source I'd heard that there would be unlockables from but again I'm thinking those unlockables are now DLC (just like Shang Tsung). Also, Daanish said on Twitter that there are some characters that they are intentionally not showing off before launch which is... weird.

P.S.O.T. The kustom variation news sucks lol.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
It could show 457 slots, all fading into varying degrees of obscurity...that doesn't mean there's 457 base characters. Could represent future DLC. Could represent unlockables. Could represent nothing.
I notice a lot of people have been bringing up this "fading DLC slots" thing as though it always made it perfectly clear there would only be 25 base roster characters, and I can't disagree with that more strongly.

Know why? One reason only. Shao Kahn.

Shao Kahn is not a "base roster" character. He is a DLC character available on day 1. This is not arguable. He is very clearly marked as a DLC character on the MK roster page, with a pretty yellow DLC ribbon.

Now, where would you expect to find Shao Kahn, a DLC character, on that page if NRS's marketing was trying to say that the DLC characters are all at the end of the list? At the end of the list. #25.

Where is Shao Kahn on that page? #10. What does him being #10 tell us? That there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the placement of characters, base roster or DLC, and thus every square is up for grabs.

If you guessed their intentions correctly from the get-go, good for you. Obviously you guessed right. But your interpretation was not the most logical one. Fading slots don't trump DLC in the middle of the roster.

projectzero00

nomnomnom

The fact is, they've said more than a few times that the roster is going to be ~25. Boon just confirmed it in this latest interview, and because you may have set your own expectations too high, you're disappointed. And now you're looking for someone other than yourself to blame.

That's on you, not NRS. :)
I'm sorry but that's a silly argument. How can you possibly compare an unrealistic number such as 457 to 29 which was perfectly doable? It's like that stupid parent thing to say when you wanna do something your friend did: "Oh so if he jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?" :DOGE

The were always unclear on whether it was precisely 25, not confirming base roster, not confirming whether Shao Kahn is part of that, not confirming whether the website slots were future DLC, etc. So no, nobody is to blame themselves but NRS for not managing fan expectations and setting them up too high when they could be clear from the get go. Same thing happened with variations so there's a pattern here.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Silly or not, guys, we're getting 25 characters to start (with unlockables may or may not being a thing). shrugs That's coming from the big guy himself, so sounds definitive.

I don't know what else to tell you besides you can be mad about it and rake NRS over the coals due to getting your own expectations over-hyped, or accept it. :/

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
Im happy with the roster. There's a lot of characters i want to play and lab. I cant think of a single character thats in the game that i can honestly say "i hate or their playstyle isnt interesting" in some fashion.

Sure i wanted ferra/torr, rain, bo rai cho, tanya, and tremor to return as based roster characters in mk11. But it just wasnt meant to be.

But nrs made a believer outa me when they made jacqui and cassie look fun to play/learn in mk11. and i wouldnt give them the time of day in mkx (or mkx in general lol).

Anyways, ill see u guys online. You're gonna get the game anyways lmfao.

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
So your argument here is that they weren’t precisely clear and it could have been 25 or 26, therefore NRS bad?

I mean, let’s put aside the fact that they have been crystal clear saying 25 over and over, and its not that hard to understand that Shao Khan is one of those 25.

But really, we’re quibbling over 25 versus 26?

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I'm pretty content, actually. 25 is plenty and I've been pleasantly surprised with even the choices I wasn't thrilled for.

vapid

cyber warlord
Don't let anyone fool you on here.... You literally joined a forum about a game..ya buyin' da game
I don't know what to say, really - I haven't pre-ordered the game, and at present I do not intend to buy it. I imagine I'll stop posting here in the near future, as my interest wanes.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Extra character reveals will not change my main character candidates but i hope there are extra characters. Especially Shinnok after Cetrion's reveal, looks like he has to be in..

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
So I’m guessing that according to the roster leak we are getting on launch only the characters who have pictures/name on the select screen and Shao Khan is one of the 25, then we have 9 slots which could mean:

- one of them is random select and we’re getting 2 DLC packs (4 on each), no unlockables OR maybe one of the characters we already know about is gonna be the unlockable.

- one secret unlockable character and 2 DLC packs

- one of them is random select, 2 unlockable bitches and 2 DLC packs (3 on each)

Kratilim

Noob
- one of them is random select and we’re getting 2 DLC packs (4 on each), no unlockables OR maybe one of the characters we already know about is gonna be the unlockable.

- one secret unlockable character and 2 DLC packs

- one of them is random select, 2 unlockable bitches and 2 DLC packs (3 on each)
1st dlc pack is 6 characters. So your 1st guess can't happen. And the other two are tgen also very unlikely. I'm assuming no secret unlockables and Shao Kahn is part of the 25.