What's new

Reveals delay

The drip feeding would be fine if it was at least a bit more steady.

We all know this game is going to be full of content, there really should be at least two new things shown a week at this rate.

Them wasting a Kast on mobile is kind of baffling since it’s not really the game and could easily just be tacked on to a regular showcase at the end.

I feel like they’re going to space some things out in huge chunks and I think that won’t be that good for the community as we’ll have too much stuff to have to dig through at a time and the forums will probably turn into a jumbled mess. I’d much prefer a constant even stream of info.
I just hope the content is spread out of 3-4 years so we have a game for longer than the 2 year NRS limit. I hope the game has enough depth to keep people interested.

I am very much against easy to use characters bc it always people to have 3-4 mains. They mentioned kabal and jade were both easy to use. That is a bad sign imo.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I realize that, but I'm saying they might have HAD plans to do this that got changed up with the leak. Obviously they're not going to be mad at the consumers, but definitely frustrated that all the reveal planning, etc. Was ruined because someone found and shared the leak
Possible that they changed the order of reveals but I'm not so sure NRS does it that way. IIRC Scarecrow was leaked for Inj2 months before his official console reveal because of the mobile game. Though maybe they pushed his date back because of the leak. :eek:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I just hope the content is spread out of 3-4 years so we have a game for longer than the 2 year NRS limit. I hope the game has enough depth to keep people interested.

I am very much against easy to use characters bc it always people to have 3-4 mains. They mentioned kabal and jade were both easy to use. That is a bad sign imo.
Most of the MKX cast was incredibly easy to use at a base level and that didn’t lead to any real problems specifically resulting from it.

If you’re good you’re good, if you’re bad you’re bad, having however many mains doesn’t do much but spread your attention thinner compared to loyalist, and good players are familiar with all the matchups their characters have anyway.

Being easy to use will be especially irrelevant in this game due to how neutral heavy it is, neutral is the true mind game of fighters and no amount of ease of use will allow a mediocre player to break out of it for free.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I just hope the content is spread out of 3-4 years so we have a game for longer than the 2 year NRS limit.
That won't matter this time around, because we'll be getting Injustice 3 on the next generation consoles in 2 years. MK 11 will be automatically dead by then.
They'll probably just port the ultimate edition of MK11 to the new consoles the same way they did it with Injustice 1, but that won't make a difference.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
What did you people do when MKX was announced at the beginning of June 2014 and didn't release until late April 2015? Did you all seek therapy of some sort to get you through those trying times??

This is the SHORTEST WINDOW EVER as far as reveal and release for an NRS game. The game was revealed in December and we were given a date of 4/23. THAT'S ONLY 5 MONTHS AFTER THE REVEAL.

At this point we are a little over 2 months away. It's going to be fine. Doesn't anyone want a little mystery anymore? This entire series was built on secrets and mystery. Now you fuckers are data-mining every god damn thing in the game to the point where there's nothing to even discover.

All this boo-hoo'ing over not having a Kombat Kast this week is driving me nuts. Some of you people wouldn't be happy unless Ed Boon called you personally every few hours to check in on you and reveal a new character.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

Why is everyone being an ass? It's not a bad thread.
Certainly not everyone, but there's so many people who complain endlessly on here about a lack of reveals and info. We know a lot already and know probably over half the cast at this point. And it's not like this doesn't happen for EVERY NRS release.

Don't mind me. I'm a salty old man who used to have to walk to the mall barefoot in the snow uphill both ways just to play MK, only to be kicked out for not having shoes when I got there.

Most of the MKX cast was incredibly easy to use at a base level and that didn’t lead to any real problems specifically resulting from it.

If you’re good you’re good, if you’re bad you’re bad, having however many mains doesn’t do much but spread your attention thinner compared to loyalist, and good players are familiar with all the matchups their characters have anyway.

Being easy to use will be especially irrelevant in this game due to how neutral heavy it is, neutral is the true mind game of fighters and no amount of ease of use will allow a mediocre player to break out of it for free.
I don’t disagree with anything you said but there is something you left out. This allows the best players to create paper rock scissor situations bc they can easily learn 4-5 characters at the highest possible level. I’ll argue that at the peak of mkx the best players had a true dedicated main and an alt there were competitive with. In i2 you had top players learning at least 3 characters. Deadshot is a perfect example of this. A laughably easy character to learn and he was top 5. Maybe even the best in the game at one point

I know ultra David makes the point about the mind game but there is something to be said about an execution barrier. It’s just a part of fighting games character shouldn’t be super easy to play in my opinion Players should have to lab for hours and hours and hours to learn a character at the highest level not three days and you’re beating top players with them. Another great example is StarFire

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I think it was back before Injustice 2's launch I saw a lot of people saying the lack of reveals and news etc was killing hype, because there was too long in between them so the hype got the chance to die down before it got sparked up again.

"We need to get the hype-train going!"

But question is... did that really affect anyone enough to not buy the game once it was out?

Why is everyone being an ass? It's not a bad thread.
That's just the nature of most (not all) MK fans these days... Instead of open conversation and fandom it's all anger and putting each other down. For MKX I was on the TRMK forum and had to leave because of the visceral negativity, this forum seems to be heading that way too with some people (again, not all)

John Grizzly

That's just the nature of most (not all) MK fans these days... Instead of open conversation and fandom it's all anger and putting each other down. For MKX I was on the TRMK forum and had to leave because of the visceral negativity, this forum seems to be heading that way too with some people (again, not all)
I'm not being negative at all. I'm a huge supporter of NRS and everything they do. I'm simply getting tired of so many people moaning about a lack of reveals. Aside from this week, which is mobile only, we are getting an in depth reveal every single week. That's pretty great, if you ask me. No other fighting game developer does that.

This is how NRS has always handled their releases, as far as reveals go. It's nothing new. People just claim it's "killing hype" because they want NRS to magically change their mind and reveal the whole cast in a day. And then....when people see their main isn't in the game, a whole new can of worms is opened for complaints. People can say what they want, but NO ONE is better at dangling carrots and getting people whipped into a frenzy over their games than NRS. They know EXACTLY what they're doing, and it's not changing any time soon.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It’s just frustrating because the game is ~two months away and there’s simply so much that we DON’T KNOW.

-What is the official word on how big the roster will be?
-Why haven’t we seen even the smallest of clips of gameplay from D’Vorah and Kano?
-What are the plans for tournament play and how are they going about “variations” if they even take that route?
-What new online features are there?
-Why haven’t we seen any of the other single player modes yet?
-Has NRS decided what they’re doing with the enhanced specials yet?

And the list goes on. I know Boon said a lot of things are still up in the air, and they’re still debating on how things will work upon the game’s release.... but it’s getting real close, some things are going to be have to be nailed down here pretty soon. Hell, the beta is next month and we don’t even know what characters/features will be present in that.

I have faith that NRS will put out a great product, but the lack of information is killing me.

Raider

Noob
Something like IGN First with few reveals and new info would be nice, maybe in March.
Or GameInformer coverage. I don't remember seeing MK11 on any magazine covers.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I just hope we get something like this again

or the boots type puzzle tease we got.

Was really fun all trying to figure out what everything was, and everyone having their own theories. Brought a lot of hype and fun to the game coming out.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The way NRS is handling reveals IS weird. People keep saying "the game will be out in 60-something days guys! Have patience!" and yeah, obviously LOL. Every game is going to come out eventually, so what exactly is your point?

Yes, the game will be out in 2 months which isn't that long and means we will be able to play it. That doesn't mean that the way that NRS has handle reveals for this game isn't weird:
  • Waited until The Game Awards to reveal the game, only to tell people that they still had to wait over a month to actually see the game at their own event.
  • Showed the game off like 3-months before the game is out vs. showing the game like a year before the game is out like previous NRS titles at E3. Despite being so close to release, the Reveal Event build only included 7 characters which is able to same amount NRS games have at E3. Hell, MK9 had 8 characters at the E3 demonstration.
  • Kano and D'Vorah are revealed by using renders, for some reason. Still no date one when we will see gameplay.
  • Un-hype reveals. On both Kombat Kasts they have spoiled the character they are going to reveal before they play the trailer. I'm glad 16 Bit got the honors of announcing Jade who he seems to really like, but at the same time it probably would have been more hype if they just let the trailer play. Not to mention like every NRS dev was posting green on Twitter so we already knew who it was before 16 Bit even got said honors.
  • The lack of teasers. @Zev mentioned the MKX boot tease, which is a good example of what I mean.
  • Competitive Variations are apparently still not done, so they can't be shown off yet. Ed Boon himself has said that Kustom Variations will NOT interest competitive players in anyway. So what are competitive players suppose to get excited about when watching these reveals? M2Dave, Tom Brady, and some others were actually talking about this on a Podcast and I'm glad they brought it up because I felt the same way after I realized they weren't going to be showing competitive variations on the Kombat Kasts.
  • The fact that we are 2 months away and we've only seen 9 characters. No, I don't expect to see the full roster by now or anything. Yes, NRS has revealed characters like Captain Cold and Scarecrow 2 months before the release of Injustice 2 before. I'm aware. But only seeing 9 out of 25 characters (maybe more) being 2 months away from release is a bit low.
  • Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking about right now.
I also see people saying that we'll know everything by the time the Beta is out, but how can you be so sure? The beta only lasts 4 days, and it's possible that they are going to want people to play with Kustom Variations so they can test and balance certain moves. NOTHING about us getting competitive variations or anything like that in the Beta.

NOTE: I'm super excited for Mortal Kombat 11 obviously, and I'm glad that we've been able to see what we have. I don't have anything against NRS or anything like that. But I feel like there is no denying that the way NRS is handling reveals is weird. It really is.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is an NRS game, when it comes to fighters they always have significantly more content than their peers.
MK9 and MKX had plenty you could do.

And given that this game has had a longer development time than the rest as far as we know, since they confirmed that it was in development before even MKX was out, I don’t see how it wouldn’t.

We can already see a bunch of the modes in the demo footage even if we don’t know exactly what they do yet and we can tell there’s going to be a surplus of unlockable content.

When I say “know” I mean dictated by common sense and experience. But if you want to play semantics, it is almost entirely sure that the game will have a lot of content.

I'm not being negative at all. I'm a huge supporter of NRS and everything they do. I'm simply getting tired of so many people moaning about a lack of reveals. Aside from this week, which is mobile only, we are getting an in depth reveal every single week. That's pretty great, if you ask me. No other fighting game developer does that.

This is how NRS has always handled their releases, as far as reveals go. It's nothing new. People just claim it's "killing hype" because they want NRS to magically change their mind and reveal the whole cast in a day. And then....when people see their main isn't in the game, a whole new can of worms is opened for complaints. People can say what they want, but NO ONE is better at dangling carrots and getting people whipped into a frenzy over their games than NRS. They know EXACTLY what they're doing, and it's not changing any time soon.
Yeah I'm not necessarily saying you specifically .it's more so the people that call each other idiots and bash their posts or threads and whatnot. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, if you agree or disagree with someone else, but it's the flaming each other that ruins these things.

@Pterodactyl
Your naïvety (as to the ingravescent diminution of [substantive] game content... esp. out-of-the-box / minus obligatory "DLC" racketeering) is Jurassic. Your optimism (for NRS's propensity for resistance in following invidious industry suit) is bordering Tithonian.

Embrace scepticism. Let the cynicism flow through you, Mr. Andserson. Take the black pill...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The more people desperately stomp around for info the more I think NRS is doing a good job with their reveal strategy. They want people to post twenty threads speculating about the game, it's good for business.

That said, I think the negative reactions people have had to early build faces and the like may have encouraged them to release character footage later down the line. Some early release footage of characters in MKX and INJ2 got criticized because the facial graphics/animations weren't finished and rightfully so in some cases. You still see rare comments about Injustice 2's "NRS faces" even though they were pretty gorgeous in the end product.

Last edited:

Thingy

Retired account
I just wish there was going to be a reveal every Kombat Kast. They said there wouldn't be a character reveal every Kast, and that to me is what's disappointing. Though I do enjoy seeing character breakdowns. I am really curious what they will be doing with Kano and D'Vorah.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The more people desperately stomp around for info the more I think NRS is doing a good job with their reveal strategy. They want people to post twenty threads speculating about the game, it's good for business.

That said, I think the negative reactions people have had to early build faces and the like may have encouraged them to release character footage later down the line. Some early release footage of characters in MKX and INJ2 got criticized because the facial graphics/animations weren't finished and rightfully so in some cases. You still see rare comments about Injustice 2's "NRS faces" even though they were pretty gorgeous in the end product.
I noticed that they made a real effort to NOT show Jade’s face during her reveal. They skipped through all her intros in her maskless variation.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Should release like sfv did with kage.

Borrow ono from capcom to try and speak engrish to announce them.

Da home or da room or da ribbidyreber...kage

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Yes, the game will be out in 2 months which isn't that long and means we will be able to play it. That doesn't mean that the way that NRS has handle reveals for this game isn't weird:
  • Waited until The Game Awards to reveal the game, only to tell people that they still had to wait over a month to actually see the game at their own event.
  • Showed the game off like 3-months before the game is out vs. showing the game like a year before the game is out like previous NRS titles at E3. .
Marketing strategies for products generally do look weird to the people on the outside because they don't see the sales figures for the year in detail like the company itself does.

Sony isn't going to attending E3 in 2019, at all. To many this is absolutely crazy.

========================

Shawn Layden from Playstation tried his best to explain:

"“Now we have an event in February called Destination PlayStation, where we bring all retailers and third-party partners to come hear the story for the year. They’re making purchasing discussions in February. June, now, is just too late to have a Christmas holiday discussion with retailers. So retail has really dropped off. And journalists now, with the internet and the fact that 24/7 there is game news, it’s lost its impact around that.”

“So the trade show became a trade show without a lot of trade activity. The world has changed, but E3 hasn’t necessarily changed with it.”

=======================

While the specifics of what NRS is doing with Mortal Kombat 11 are a mystery to us, their marketing team has a strategy to maximize the amount of money they'll make from the game throughout the entire course of the game's life.

This could mean that the reason they decided to announce the game IN DECEMEBER was because they literally have an entire year before the next holiday season, where they suspect they will make the most of those few months sales-wise. By working with retailers with such ample time, they could really do something as far as deals/promotions.

Again, who knows, but my point is that the marketing strategies NRS have decided on boiled down aren't as weird as you might think if you look at the big picture business-wise.