What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile vs Cage Matchup Discussion

i'm not denying the risk reward not being in reptiles favor.

but anytime I block something... its a 50/50.... because if I go to dash..... ONE of us WILL win. That is the definition of a 50/50. Plus Reptile gets away from you to setup another round of the forceball circus. Each person gains a good amount in there "win"; Cage damage, Reptile spacing.

Your points about Cages meter though are on point.
yes, one of us will win, but cage is more likely to win. he can finish the string, and bait the dash, and you have to guess when to dash

this matchup is even, reptiles spacing options and zoning game(both of which lead to free pressure) are way too dominant in a matchup where the other character has no zoning... while cage has dominant options up close reptile still has 6f dash and 6f ex dash and armor... reptile can utilize forceball spacing for free pressure with pushback... also free grabs... in my opinion this is even if not reptiles favor. in my opinion reptile is the 7th best character in this game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
this matchup is even, reptiles spacing options and zoning game(both of which lead to free pressure) are way too dominant in a matchup where the other character has no zoning... while cage has dominant options up close reptile still has 6f dash and 6f ex dash and armor... reptile can utilize forceball spacing for free pressure with pushback... also free grabs... in my opinion this is even if not reptiles favor. in my opinion reptile is the 7th best character in this game.
It's a lot more difficult in practice than it is on paper to play this matchup the way Reptile wants to. It basically means playing Reptile's game with good guesses all the time in order to stay ahead.

It's a lot more difficult in practice than it is on paper to play this matchup the way Reptile wants to. It basically means playing Reptile's game with good guesses all the time in order to stay ahead.
cage can be very obnoxious i agree.

Something that's really fun to do in this match is when you end a combo with 321 exsfb, or get a dash knock down and throw a quick exsfb.
Most cages frantically mash an ex shadow kick. Reptile can use d4 to make the kick whiff and bam, full combo punish, reptile now had life lead

Man I used to argue this point all day.....until my friend started maiming cage. I fell it is in his favor now. You can not keep him at bay for long. Especially without meter. And as has been pointed out you have to guess with edash all the damn time.

#IamMuffinMuggers

Something that's really fun to do in this match is when you end a combo with 321 exsfb, or get a dash knock down and throw a quick exsfb.
Most cages frantically mash an ex shadow kick. Reptile can use d4 to make the kick whiff and bam, full combo punish, reptile now had life lead
Why not just block it and not risk miss timing it?

#IamMuffinMuggers

UPR_Nova

Noob
Reptile can't poke for two reasons:

1.) Slow
2.) Cage d1 pushes Reptile out of d3 range after certain strings which is possibly the best poke choice for Reptile

Wouldn't a 50/50 be a 2,1,f2 and 2,1,b4 mixup anyway? I don't think a good Cage (or a bad one for that matter) would continuously f3 you in the chest and pray for victory. The only string in my matchup experience that is extremely "punishable" and open for dash is f3,3 anyway. But if used correctly, that should be good if continued by a d3 or d1. As Cage, I want you to see a "hole" and react so I can blow you up. I'm not saying his pressure is garbage by any means but you want nutpunch resets not f3's for days, therefore, the "holes" should be purposeful 95% of the time. So go ahead and dash. If you come up for pressure you better finish because a poke in Cage's favor = Reptile in danger. His d1 is good for EX dash pressure too. You aren't forced to commit to riskier maneuvers like a KL spin or Sonya instant dive kick. That d1 is packing range so it's fairly easy to poke out. Waste of meter to break and you are battling out of pressure again. Of course you can EX nutpunch out or b3 but its hella tough against a good Reptile.

Just because you have a fast special doesn't mean its the be all end all. My normals are way better. Lack of armor too, let's not forget that.

I just don't think people realize the effectiveness of Cage's d1 in this matchup. Somebody has to back me up on this one. Showtime can you enlighten the people on d1 or THTB? I haven't fought THTB personally with Cage but I would assume he knows of the d1 silliness.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile can't poke for two reasons:

1.) Slow
2.) Cage d1 pushes Reptile out of d3 range after certain strings which is possibly the best poke choice for Reptile

Wouldn't a 50/50 be a 2,1,f2 and 2,1,b4 mixup anyway? I don't think a good Cage (or a bad one for that matter) would continuously f3 you in the chest and pray for victory. The only string in my matchup experience that is extremely "punishable" and open for dash is f3,3 anyway. But if used correctly, that should be good if continued by a d3 or d1. As Cage, I want you to see a "hole" and react so I can blow you up. I'm not saying his pressure is garbage by any means but you want nutpunch resets not f3's for days, therefore, the "holes" should be purposeful 95% of the time. So go ahead and dash. If you come up for pressure you better finish because a poke in Cage's favor = Reptile in danger. His d1 is good for EX dash pressure too. You aren't forced to commit to riskier maneuvers like a KL spin or Sonya instant dive kick. That d1 is packing range so it's fairly easy to poke out. Waste of meter to break and you are battling out of pressure again. Of course you can EX nutpunch out or b3 but its hella tough against a good Reptile.

Just because you have a fast special doesn't mean its the be all end all. My normals are way better. Lack of armor too, let's not forget that.

I just don't think people realize the effectiveness of Cage's d1 in this matchup. Somebody has to back me up on this one. Showtime can you enlighten the people on d1 or THTB? I haven't fought THTB personally with Cage but I would assume he knows of the d1 silliness.
If Cage d1s, I'm free to do d4 anyway, and if I react well enough, I can dash. Cage never has to d1 anyway, because d3 is still fast enough to completely outpoke Reptile.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
This MU is super frustrating...that is all. I would like to go ahead and list some things that have helped me in the MU though:

1) I don't recommend poking cage after f3 and ONLY f3, if he stops at f3 3 you can get out a d1 since he is -4 and if he finishes the string you are at the advantage because you can start using d4's

2) If you happen to get to finish an ex dash and Cage has meter, don't do anything but jump back or block. Ex nut punch will seriously blow any follow up options you might think about using right the fuck up, even d3's. So look for it and try to bait it out for a good punish.

3) Mind your spacing at all times, and try not to dash unless it is blatantly obvious that it will whiff. If you aren't sure I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you think it will hit. One good dash block from Cage though and you can say hello to dat mufuckas foots, and goodbye to yo' nuts.

4) Reptile's fb oki game works pretty well against him, but it gains some wholes when Cage has meter. I suggest throwing a lot if he just wants to sit in and take chip all day.

2) If you happen to get to finish an ex dash and Cage has meter, don't do anything but jump back or block. Ex nut punch will seriously blow any follow up options you might think about using right the fuck up, even d3's. So look for it and try to bait it out for a good punish.
After an ex dash you can grab JC right out of the nut punch

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Why poke? He can bait punish pokes just as hard as dash.
I don't understand. The dash itself on hit lends you to EVERYTHING you need to get cage off, and set up a whole screen full of combo's.

Sure fighting him is annoying, but fighting him in a way that is always at his advantage is just dumb.
He WANTS you to poke away at him.... why do it? It isn't your only way out... and he's going to punish you if he reads those as well. So why not use the one tool that will turn the war into your favor?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Why poke? He can bait punish pokes just as hard as dash.
I don't understand. The dash itself on hit lends you to EVERYTHING you need to get cage off, and set up a whole screen full of combo's.

Sure fighting him is annoying, but fighting him in a way that is always at his advantage is just dumb.
He WANTS you to poke away at him.... why do it? It isn't your only way out... and he's going to punish you if he reads those as well. So why not use the one tool that will turn the war into your favor?
Well because a blocked dash gets punished way harder than a blocked/stuffed d1.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
I play my offline friend grotesquegod92 and his Cage is insane, he jails with f3,d1 ,1,1,f3,2 and all kinds of crazy cage-nanigans, the only way I keep him at bay is elbow dash and 3,2,1 and fast balls, I find the most effective is 3,2,1, acid hand, JIP BnB but its tough

UPR_Nova

Noob
If Cage d1s, I'm free to do d4 anyway, and if I react well enough, I can dash. Cage never has to d1 anyway, because d3 is still fast enough to completely outpoke Reptile.
I use the d1 personally to stuff specials. I agree with the fact that d3 is better but to blow up special attempts after punishable block strings I prefer d1. Plus am I not correct in thinking that Reptile will have a 1 frame gap to get the d4 out there to begin pressure? (Cage d1 is -13 on both crouching and stand block and Reptile d4 is 12 frames) If I'm looking at the data incorrectly please let me know.

Just from a Cage perspective I see the d1 being MUCH less risky against Reptile and it blows up hella specials, therefore, I see it as extremely viable in the matchup. If the d4 is put on the screen too slowly that's trouble for Reptile and in my personal opinion, getting hit by an elbow dash is not that big of a deal.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Not a fan of this match, you cant poke out of cages pressure bc reptiles normals are ass, and if you dash you get a kn8cidown (wakeup opportunity) or blocked and b3d full combo f33 nutpunch. Your best bet is to through acid balls all match, dont use ex bc cage blows it up with f33 and raw ex nutpunch.. use meter for exsfb instead

I use the d1 personally to stuff specials. I agree with the fact that d3 is better but to blow up special attempts after punishable block strings I prefer d1. Plus am I not correct in thinking that Reptile will have a 1 frame gap to get the d4 out there to begin pressure? (Cage d1 is -13 on both crouching and stand block and Reptile d4 is 12 frames) If I'm looking at the data incorrectly please let me know.

Just from a Cage perspective I see the d1 being MUCH less risky against Reptile and it blows up hella specials, therefore, I see it as extremely viable in the matchup. If the d4 is put on the screen too slowly that's trouble for Reptile and in my personal opinion, getting hit by an elbow dash is not that big of a deal.
the gap is 10 frames if he follows with a f3. 13+9= 12+10.... 8 if he does a d3.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

d1 does 1% damage
you aren't blowing me up at all.. just stopping something.

11% adds up. Especially since you bascially have to eat the chip damage from the incoming projectiles as well. D1 isn't going to make me think twice about doing something...... full combo does.