What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile Mix up, Trap, strategies Thread

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Hi guys,

The purpose of this topic is simple, let's share all the mix up and strategies we have with Reptile.
I will update this topic, the goal is to work hard together in order to improve our character.

Here a trap I discovered:

This video is only to show the purpose of the trap, it needs to be improve with a mix up. The purpose is to trap the opponent with the ball behind him. I haven't find a way to use it properly for the moment. It's very usefull vs Subzero for example, if he uses the slide to escape the ball, it's usefull against an opponent who jump above your ball.

I have lot of ideas to improve it, I need to spend more time on it. If you have ideas, do not hesitate.

Let's share all the mix up, trap, and strategy we have.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I don't want to demoralize you or beat you down, but this concept seems to bank highly on them not using a wake up, moving, or blocking low. Have you been able to perform it online? I will certainly favorite it and test it tomorrow night to play around and see if I can make it more effective or if it works well enough on it's own. Very creative idea, I like your concept. I just don't know how often it'd play out the way we'd like. Don't want to cut you down, I'm on the fence here.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Yop,

No no I am perfectly aware that in this state this tech is not acceptable, you can clearly punish it with a wake up.
"This video is only to show the purpose of the trap", but I think we need to explore deeper this tech.

If at the end of a combo you can have the ball behind the opponent it can be a new trap for reptile and a new way to pressure. Yesterday I try several things in the lab and it was cool stuff. The difficulty is to have this ball behind the opponent...
By the way in a match an opponent can jump over your ball, it's a good idea to use b3f4 in order to trap him with the ball. It's 39% meterless. It's maybe the biggest meterless combo we have with reptile ;)

Kidigital

@KdashDigital/Raiko Digital
Depending on the character his b3 4 could snuff alot of wake up attempts. If there is a way cut down the amount of reads you have to consider on wakeup this could be kinda cool imo. Definitely stunt on some people with this if nothing else lol. I'll mess around with some stuff and get back to you.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Also it'd be such a break of pace, it'd catch people by surprise and I love doing that with Reptile! Like I said I'll definitely take it into the shop too. Keep in mind we can also stop the slow acid ball for a bar. It's a new type of pressure.
It is hands down the highest damage combo we will see for reptile for no bar. Highly situational but this is pure potential and I wish I had access to my Xb1 to try this out right now xD ideas are growing. You sir Dr. Jackal. You're the break of pace we need.

I, from time to time, will use a creeping acid ball and should the opponent jump over it, I'll slide. Getting the acid ball once again between my opponent and I and I'll use another acid ball. This is just what I do on account of my pre planned jump kicking the opponent back into the acid ball almost never works. 80% of the time they get their kick in rather than mine.

Kidigital

Okay so I took a little bit to check this out in the lab and tried to cover almost every option if done correctly. Your Ball trap seems most useful when they delay wake-up. The only thing I believe I have not covered is the roll back which just gives you more time and space to control. I tested this on kung lao buzzsaw but if the dash and acid ball timing is tight it should theoretically eat the tempest spin. Will test in a little.:confused: I do not always do the optimized confirm for time sake and to leave a little to the imagination. Let me know if you guys find any more blowups or any way to make this more useful. Btw @Dr Jackal I replaced f3 with b3 but it should work the same i believe. Little lazy to test. :cool: Oh yeah forgot to record that it eats EX teleport.

Reptile Ball # 1 (The Cool Stuff)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=dc85d0a196cbe7c7!1726&authkey=!AIOQitV1rd0szzE&ithint=video,mp4
Reptile Ball # 2 (includes a couple of blow ups ;))
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=dc85d0a196cbe7c7!1727&authkey=!AM1x19FzNh6112U&ithint=video,mp4
Reptile Ball # 3 (safest option against good anti-airs)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=dc85d0a196cbe7c7!1728&authkey=!AIbzFCDUE-qsF_4&ithint=video,mp4

Last edited:

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
This looks awesome, blowing up a lao wakeups is something I dreamed of doing. Does tempest spin catch you? I'll be trying out every possible thing I can when I get home but I wont be there for a while.

Kidigital

This looks awesome, blowing up a lao wakeups is something I dreamed of doing. Does tempest spin catch you? I'll be trying out every possible thing I can when I get home but I wont be there for a while.
I'll check in one second. Meanwhile here is the 50/50. without the jump in damage the low starter is 39 percent. thats 51% counting the combo before the reset.

Low Starter (39% blocked jump in)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=dc85d0a196cbe7c7!1729&authkey=!AFuYIRZwACHqrgc&ithint=video,mp4

Overhead Starter (36% blocked jump in)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=dc85d0a196cbe7c7!1730&authkey=!AKtCOFPYZXcCIUo&ithint=video,mp4

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
This is not a 'trap' its a setup. You're using a bar to get 20%, dropping the combo and hoping your opponent is actually a sentient training dummy that somehow got online.

Kidigital

lol Fuck it he just wanted to see if anyone can come up with a way to make it a little more viable. That's why I included Kung lao wake up as an example along with ways to blow up the setup itself including blocking. It's not like reptile has too much damage to leave on the table anyways midscreen but shit I'm taking time out of my day to present him some ideas. Damn nigga let em live:rolleyes:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
lol Fuck it he just wanted to see if anyone can come up with a way to make it a little more viable. That's why I included Kung lao wake up as an example along with ways to blow up the setup itself including blocking. It's not like reptile has too much damage to leave on the table anyways midscreen but shit I'm taking time out of my day to present him some ideas. Damn nigga let em live:rolleyes:
39% midscreen
So should we /thread this then? Or should we just merge this with the Reptile bottom 5 thread?
Ok
You are such a baby. :16Bit
no

Kidigital

39% midscreen

Ok

no
dropping 19% with potential to catch them out for more damage could be a plus especially if your behind and you can't count on one combo to bring you back. Honestly though its not that serious to me

Last edited:

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Sometimes I just wonder if everybody read me when I post a video :D :
lol Fuck it he just wanted to see if anyone can come up with a way to make it a little more viable.
Exactly...

but shit I'm taking time out of my day to present him some ideas.
And I really appreciate

Well anyway ! Thank you @Kidigital for your time, it's interesting. The F3B4 increase a lot the damages indeed.
Yes, this set up seems to be very situational (you delay the wake up right ?) and risky. It's very interesting to know that we still have an option if we have a ball behind the opponent. The opponent will think there is no danger.
I like the "The Cool Stuff", it seems to break armored wake up ?
I will try to find something new tonight in the lab ;)

By the way what are the others set up of reptile ? I will update the first post.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
dropping 19% with potential to catch them out for more damage could be a plus especially if your behind and you can't count on one combo to bring you back. Honestly though its not that serious to me
You're dropping 19% for something gets blown up by:
A) waking up
B) delaying the wake up
C) blocking

If you're counting for that "one combo to bring you back", there are way better options like ex grab, an actual ball setup or actually finishing the combo.

Kidigital

@NapalmCL Yeah if done correctly you bounce off of tempest armor and combo off of acid ball. Np Jackal its a cool concept. Like i said if nothing else then to stunt on somebody lol. Also, its A and B. Wake up and delayed are both covered i just had to say that. @RM Cossner nobody is calling it the go to setup he asked i answered just like you.

Last edited:

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
You are right Cossner, there is to many assumptions to use it in this state.
But nobody post new things on reptile, there is lot of set up to discover and that's the purpose of this thread.

The concept is still cool and it's important to go deeper to see if it can be viable.

@RM Cossner

He is showing a set up that many people have not seen before. Is it the greatest thing reptile has? No, but he even states that and says that he wants to "improve it" through collaboration. He is just showing it is out there. Did you know that Erron Black uses a standing reset for 13% damage instead of doing a guaranteed 37%? Must be garbage too, but I guess the current top players do not know that yet. You do these things to bring variance to your game and throw off the opponent. I do appreciate you pointing out the obvious options against the proof of concept, but you are way too condescending for a player of your skill level.

I see your posts a lot unfortunately and hate calling people out on stuff, but you are probably one of the largest negative impacts of this forum. You may have been good or are still good at a game, but you are rude and a turn off for many players that are trying to find things for this character. You could have simply avoided being a dick or maybe you can't. The OP did nothing to incite lash back at all. Just stay on the Kung Jin forums, no one will miss you here.

@Dr Jackal thanks for posting something other than requests for nerfs/buffs and why reptile is x on an imaginary tier list.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
@RM Cossner

He is showing a set up that many people have not seen before. Is it the greatest thing reptile has? No, but he even states that and says that he wants to "improve it" through collaboration. He is just showing it is out there. Did you know that Erron Black uses a standing reset for 13% damage instead of doing a guaranteed 37%? Must be garbage too, but I guess the current top players do not know that yet. You do these things to bring variance to your game and throw off the opponent. I do appreciate you pointing out the obvious options against the proof of concept, but you are way too condescending for a player of your skill level.

I see your posts a lot unfortunately and hate calling people out on stuff, but you are probably one of the largest negative impacts of this forum. You may have been good or are still good at a game, but you are rude and a turn off for many players that are trying to find things for this character. You could have simply avoided being a dick or maybe you can't. The OP did nothing to incite lash back at all. Just stay on the Kung Jin forums, no one will miss you here.

@Dr Jackal thanks for posting something other than requests for nerfs/buffs and why reptile is x on an imaginary tier list.
Nop, someone has to police these forums, especially when half the tech is "mash d3 on wake up".

I'm sorry I'm not the type of guy who'll stick "nice try" stars in everyone's forehead.

If you post something here, at least go online first and try whatever "tech" you post, at least try to develop it a bit more or point how people are blowing it up so we can see whether it has future or not. Is that too much to ask for? If you want a forum full of useless tech/combos then be my guest.

There's a huge difference between this forum and the GA forums. GA forums were filler with amazingly talented people who'd test their tech in an out and would explain the possibilities very clearly. That character was hella explored, I look at the Reptile forums and all I find is people crying, saying the bnbs are "too hard" or posting the worst training dummy tech. No señor I'll be as fart as I can (and I barely post here lbsh) until we get truly great players working to find legit stuff.

Also I guess my biggest negative contribution was saying that Reptile is not as garbage as people say he is. Now he'll never get overbuffed like Kenshi :(

And I have never ever clicked once in the Kung Jin forums and I never will lol.

Last edited:

mamasau

Noob
In the forum I found these threads can be listed in the topic:

dribirut Guaranteed 50/50 Reset;
JDM corner anti wu;
Visceral Vain Corner Setup and Mixup, Looks at All Wakeup Options and Getup Timings;
HPHatecraft Reversing wake ups mid screen and corner.

Reversing wakeup can be done by all the variations. I focused myself a bit on that and there're situations where also with dash you can hop, but all these situations aren't hard knockdown.
The one that woks midscreen is f412, dash, f41, swipe.
Swipe is soft knockdown and with a well timed dash, after a little step back, you'll be on the opponent, not to the other side, but on him just to reverting his wu.
If they delay, go for meaty.
If they tech roll, you'll be on the point they start to roll, you can actually react to what will come soon after, blocking, jumping, other.
It works only midscreen, in corner situations it's better hkd, like showed in hphatecraft's videos.
At least with swipe it's possible doing a little more damage than finishing with 14(f211+3 is a great alternative for run reverse), building more meter with the 2 dashes and the dash hop is more unexpected than run hop.

:)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Can you hit them with something as they are falling from the second forceball and use that move to cancel into another forceball that maybe they would stand up or wakeup into?