What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters
Been grinding in practice mode with Reptile the last few days and I'm seeing pretty big improvements. However, I'm having a hell of a time landing the grab after f2,1. I can get it in in practice, but online or offline against the cpu, I just can't land it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm holding forward after the 1 hits, but the grab won't come out (and I hit it immediately after I hit the 1).

Been grinding in practice mode with Reptile the last few days and I'm seeing pretty big improvements. However, I'm having a hell of a time landing the grab after f2,1. I can get it in in practice, but online or offline against the cpu, I just can't land it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm holding forward after the 1 hits, but the grab won't come out (and I hit it immediately after I hit the 1).
Try inputting L1 instead of 1+3.

Try inputting L1 instead of 1+3.
That's actually what I've been trying to do. Although now I'm actually thinking I should try 1+3 instead. Sometimes I forget that L1 is a shortcut for a two button input. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try both ways and see what happens.

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
That's actually what I've been trying to do. Although now I'm actually thinking I should try 1+3 instead. Sometimes I forget that L1 is a shortcut for a two button input. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try both ways and see what happens.
You might be doing it a bit too fast. Start doing to combo slower, and work your way up with speed. Break down F21 till you can do it 10 times without fail, then add the grab at the end. After you see the "1" hit your opponent input Grab or 1+3.

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I just piano is out at a reasonable pace, f21+L1. If you hesitate too long on the L1, I find it drops the grab. If you want to MB it, however, you have to pause and wait for the grab animation before hitting block.

EDIT: In other words, I don't pay attention to the animation when inputting f21+L1. You can fire it off pretty damn fast and it should still happen. Only the MB requires any kind of timing, in my experience.

Last edited:

Badfulgore

Beta Tester
No problem, I might need some help going through it and making it more organized (suggestions?) so we can have a clean looking thread here. I appreciate all the work you, @RM Cossner @THTB @Badfulgore and others have contributed so we can get all of our Reptiles good to go. Ok, I'll have to try those out. I'm having trouble with timings on some of his strings. Such as the one string that is f421->Dash (whiff)->21->421->Ender of choice. Am I supposed to already be inputing 21 in after the dash starts or what? Yeah, I need more time into the lab for sure, but I will focus on confirming f421 and memorizing block strings for today.
Thanks you man ;)

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I didn't get to fully test it (finals week), but I wasn't able to punish it at all. Is it safe?
I don't think it's 100% safe, but not everyone can punish. Pretty sure Jax will pound you like a nail. I have yet to test it against the Lao spin, but I assume it'll punish hard.

Nice! That midscreen would add a few percent to my BnB, with or without a JiP. The timing on the f41 f412 is crazy tight, though. I have yet to land it once. Is it reliant on Ferra/Torr's big ass hitbox?

Last edited:

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
I don't think it's 100% safe, but not everyone can punish. Pretty sure Jax will pound you like a nail. I have yet to test it against the Lao spin, but I assume it'll punish hard.

Nice! That midscreen would add a few percent to my BnB, with or without a JiP. The timing on the f42 f421 is crazy tight, though. I have yet to land it once. Is it reliant on Ferra/Torr's big ass hitbox?
Isn't Lao's spin 5 Frames?

Dr.Venkman

Does not have actual Ph.D
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone found an input shortcut for stopping the forceball?

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Isn't Lao's spin 5 Frames?
Yeah, I think it was 4 and is now 5 (since they updated the frame data). Not near the game so cannot confirm. If the spin doesn't punish, nothing will.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone found an input shortcut for stopping the forceball?
I was JUST thinking about this the other day but haven't lab'd it myself.

qspec

Noob

Nice! That midscreen would add a few percent to my BnB, with or without a JiP. The timing on the f42 f421 is crazy tight, though. I have yet to land it once. Is it reliant on Ferra/Torr's big ass hitbox?
I was testing it with a 6 frame D'vorah jab. I'll have to try out the spin. Is that the fastest reversal in the game? Ermac has a 5 frame jab too, no?

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I believe most people use the spin to test if a move is 100% safe. Unsure about the Ermac jab, tbh. I'd also test it against the likes of Jax's 6 frame jab, but at the point, the window is getting pretty narrow for a human opponent (especially online).

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Has anyone been able to convert b2 run f412 into anything other than a slide ender? I've tried to bf2 and connect with anything, but so far I've been failing pretty hard.

Last edited:

Xev

Noob
Has anyone been able to convert b2 run f421 into anything other than a slide ender? I've tried to bf2 and connect with anything, but so far I've been failing pretty hard.
You can do b2 run f412 db 4 for 20%. Kinda depends on spacing, have to hit b2 fairly close and be fast with the run.

edit, i derp'd

Last edited:

Method

Full Combo Punishable
You can do b2 run f421 db 4 for 20%. Kinda depends on spacing, have to hit b2 fairly close and be fast with the run.
Oops. Meant f412. Keep typing that wrong ... fixed in my post.

Yeah, I've been leaning on that, though man I hate the recovery on db4. Was hoping we could squeeze more than 20%, but doesn't seem likely.

Xev

Noob
I typo'd f412 anyway but yea that's where it seems to top out at unless you want to spend some meter.

You might be doing it a bit too fast. Start doing to combo slower, and work your way up with speed. Break down F21 till you can do it 10 times without fail, then add the grab at the end. After you see the "1" hit your opponent input Grab or 1+3.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Just had to get into a certain rhythm with it and I got it down. However, I still can't do squat in an actual match. I think I just panic when I finally get in for a combo and I choke. I can't seem to hit those big combos and end up with a simple four hit combo. I'm pretty sure I'm accidentally hitting an extra button here or there and it throws the whole thing off. I just gotta keep practicing until I can do them in my sleep and not get so jumpy about the inputs.

mamasau

Noob
This is my spreadsheet with the combos I tested so far, it's not complete but I'm constantly updating it.
They are all meterless with only few ones with 1 bar usage and not restricted to any variation.
The light green selections are the combos I consider being reliable to do for damage, execution and utility.
Maybe the notes can have errors by wrong assumptions and if you have notes/hints to add just tell me :D

spreadsheet reptile

Last edited:

Badfulgore

Beta Tester

Nice! That midscreen would add a few percent to my BnB, with or without a JiP. The timing on the f41 f412 is crazy tight, though. I have yet to land it once. Is it reliant on Ferra/Torr's big ass hitbox?
Hahaha -Big ass- xddd
I think only work in some characters. But also is posible with intro combo: 2124 dash f41 dash f41 xray (47%) or f412 slide (29%)
So... I am working in combos with more of 60%

Method

Full Combo Punishable
This is my spreadsheet with the combos I tested so far, it's not complete but I'm constantly updating it.
They are all meterless with only few ones with 1 bar usage and not restricted to any variation.
The light green selections are the combos I consider being reliable to do for damage, execution and utility.
Maybe the notes can have errors by wrong assumptions and if you have notes/hints to add just tell me :D
Wow, thanks for doing this! Great work.

And of course, big ups to @MK_GDROM for curating the thread. Thanks for all the effort. :)