What's new

Reptile Block String Conditioning

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi Guys.

Just something I have noticed lately, even against some random or basic online players.

Jump in punching into :fk :bp :fp - Acid Hand has been so popularly used by every Reptile player, that now you can almost guarantee that the opponent will stand block after the string, and without doing a risky Slide after the string and putting everything on the line, there really isn't much that begins to happen when you constantly repeat 321 Acid Hand, and every Reptile player I play against won't change the string or condition the opponent to low blocking, and when the opponent isn't conditioned to blocking low, that means your 1221 or 122 Acid Hand still won't work, but it will still constantly be used.

Is no-one else using ''Deadly Venom'' :fp:bp:l:fp string, as early as possible in the round?

It just seems to me, that Reptile players don't feel the need to condition block strings or even try, and even if you don't fully agree with that, you have to admit, that you really don't see as much as any other character.

Does anyone else use this string?

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I don't play Reptile much these days, but I like replacing overheads in standard combo strings with low attacks just to keep the opponent guessing. With Reptile, I'll sometimes pressure with a 122 or a 12 slide. Nobody blocks low after the first 12 so it's a nice 50/50 albeit with a minimal reward.

I do the same with Kabal's 50/50s. Instead of completing a 11b4 I'll cancel 11 into tornado slam if they're not opening up and I'm getting impatient.

Seapeople

This one's for you
It feels like 12b1 might be interruptible but I haven't checked it.

A lot of Reptile's pressure conditions the opponent to block low. After 321, they'll want to poke out. They'll also want to avoid d4 and crouch punish 1. Reptile already has solid mixups with his ordinary block strings.

UsedForGlue

It feels like 12b1 might be interruptible but I haven't checked it.

A lot of Reptile's pressure conditions the opponent to block low. After 321, they'll want to poke out.
Well, its the end of the string, and its where most people will special cancel into Acid Hand or Slide or :en Dash. Poking ''out'' at the end of the string really isn't what most people do as Reptile can get fucked up for not finishing that string.

Things have changed in the last 6 months for Reptile, because everyone finishes with the Acid Hand, opponents have no real reason to crouch now, Reptile players now have to change their rush down and start trying to use other set ups, :fk :bp :l:bk - Lowers his hit box considerably on block, and needs to be punished by fast special, low special or a dash into a string. Underused, and if used enough will get the opponent blocking low.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Well, its the end of the string, and its where most people will special cancel into Acid Hand or Slide or :en Dash. Poking ''out'' at the end of the string really isn't what most people do as Reptile can get fucked up for not finishing that string.

Things have changed in the last 6 months for Reptile, because everyone finishes with the Acid Hand, opponents have no real reason to crouch now, Reptile players now have to change their rush down and start trying to use other set ups, :fk :bp :l:bk - Lowers his hit box considerably on block, and needs to be punished by fast special, low special or a dash into a string. Underused, and if used enough will get the opponent blocking low.
Imo, the core mixup is between 321 and 321~acid hand (321 is neutral on block). If the opponent expects 321~acid hand, you can stop short and continue to pressure. Once they start trying to poke out, keep them in check with 321~acid hand. Overall its less risk and more reward than 12b1

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments

12b4 I really like because you can cancel into a dash on hit which makes for nice pressure.

12b1 is nice in the corner and unless they jump you are at perfect range for f2 or ex dash for more pressure.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
It's important to be a bit risky and use low string enders to keep your opponent in check. Once they figure out that you are willing to do both overhead and low finishers, then it makes it easier to get an invis string somewhere in there and it gives you a lot more options for pressuring/chipping.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hmmm... i am so lost because this is so ....hmmmm.... i dont know. all i can tell u is that every char has multiple options, and reptile pressure is like no one else! he can pressure severely

first off, these kinds of threads are very general....you can find your answers in different threads here. it's just comes down to people being lazy to search at the end, as well as reptile section is populated....so lotta lost stuff and un organized stuff will surface

secondly, YES!!! 1,2,b+2 for reptile is simply amazing tool. to take a shortcut, here's all reptile pressure tools....he got tons of options. 3,2,1~ acid is very basic, and on the long run becomes a dis advantage to reptile.

Reptile all tool offensive pressure:

Finishers are : slide , Acid hand, Invisibility and EX Elbow dash. they can be used at any giving situations

1- standing 1. zero frames results. (can add finishers)
2- cr+4~ finisher
3- Specific: cr+3~ EX elbow dash frame trap. (as well as other finishers, though all escapable except EX elbow dash, due to the frame trap)
4- Standing 3,2,1 . Zero frame results. (can add finishers)
5- Sanding 3,2. can add finishers
6- Specific: 1,2,2~ Invis. Zero frame
7- 1,2,2~ (finisher). a very great tool to use specially for comboing on hit with FB. also give better Mix up finisher option due to (high, med , low or H,M,H options)
8- Specific: f+2~ invis. zero frames. great tool as well due on hit, here it staggers opponent giving reptile a full advantage to re pressure opponent while invisible
9- Specific: cr+4~ invis. on hit zero frames.

It just seems to me, that Reptile players don't feel the need to condition block strings or even try, and even if you don't fully agree with that, you have to admit, that you really don't see as much as any other character.

this is so wrong and very random

UsedForGlue

You can find your answers in different threads here. it's just comes down to people being lazy to search at the end, as well as reptile section is populated....so lotta lost stuff and un organized stuff will surface

this is so wrong and very random
Well, I am not ''searching'' or looking for answers about what these strings do, that's completely misread and taking something from my initial post that really isn't there, that wasn't the point at all. This is forum, for discussion, that's was the aim of the thread, to get people discussing the lesser used strings and conditioning from Reptile, I am not asking for expert opinions on what Reptile's tools are, I am very aware of that, as most people are.

You appear to use the character, but I am surprised that you have over looked my initial point.

I was saying at the beginning , that the opponent (and opponents in general) are no longer is ''afraid'' to stand block against Reptile, and his strings, so to never be launched by :fp:fp:bp:fp or :en Acid Hand anymore, because it has become common among reptile players to use his ''best string'' 321.

And all the options you have listed in your reply, still don't fix this.

Standing 1 - Doesn't condition the opponent to crouch low, nor can you hit confirm directly off a JIP into ''1, add finishers'' and if you land a JIP into 1, and it is blocked, then fine, thats all good, as you will have the opponent in-front of you for a 321 on block, building meter etc...but on hit, you are completely dropping your opportunity to combo on hit and launch, as you will hit 1, and then into a block string 321. Same as pre-emptively deciding to throw after a JIP, and not only missing the throw, but dropping an op for a combo.

Elbow Dash frame trap is another great tool, but again, it still doesn't condition the opponent to crouch low.

122 Invisibility or 32 Invisibility on block are not only both risky, but again, do not condition the opponent to crouch blocking.

321 no special, into another string, again, its another well known idea, but still, doesn't condition low blocking.

Those are just a few I have singled out, and as good as they are, and well documented, they really don't come into line with my first post.

---

All these will result in the same scenario, Reptile being stuck in the dash distance to which he can't really do much, from here, he has no Air control, no consistant or ''dependable'' anti airs, risks dashing or sliding, and can't really throw out acid balls as it again lays everything on the line.

So in my opinion, it's about laying a 12B1 or 32b4 as early and as frequently as possible or even risking the occasional Slide at the end of your block string (with a breaker at hand) to get the opponent to try duck low and make him guess, and not just expect acidhand or :en dash or 32 Invis, every time, and when that acid hand or 1221 hits overhead, that should be exactly what you want. Or am I the only one who does't want the opponent always blocking my overheads, and keeping me in dash distance?

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
IMO building meter is just better because if you cut 321 acid hands short and cross over from time to time there is the possibility to build close to a bar or so into ex dash and this brings you to the starting point again with +5 frame advantage. Here whichever blocked pressure you do should rebuild the bar and then you can ex dash again or do something else.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Well, I am not ''searching'' or looking for answers about what these strings do, that's completely misread and taking something from my initial post that really isn't there, that wasn't the point at all. This is forum, for discussion, that's was the aim of the thread, to get people discussing the lesser used strings and conditioning from Reptile, I am not asking for expert opinions on what Reptile's tools are, I am very aware of that, as most people are.

You appear to use the character, but I am surprised that you have over looked my initial point.

I was saying at the beginning , that the opponent (and opponents in general) are no longer is ''afraid'' to stand block against Reptile, and his strings, so to never be launched by :fp:fp:bp:fp or :en Acid Hand anymore, because it has become common among reptile players to use his ''best string'' 321.

Standing 1 - Doesn't condition the opponent to crouch low, nor can you hit confirm directly off a JIP into ''1, add finishers'' and if you land a JIP into 1, and it is blocked, then fine, thats all good, as you will have the opponent in-front of you for a 321 on block, building meter etc...but on hit, you are completely dropping your opportunity to combo on hit and launch, as you will hit 1, and then into a block string 321. Same as pre-emptively deciding to throw after a JIP, and not only missing the throw, but dropping an op for a combo.

Elbow Dash frame trap is another great tool, but again, it still doesn't condition the opponent to crouch low.

122 Invisibility or 32 Invisibility on block are not only both risky, but again, do not condition the opponent to crouch blocking.

321 no special, into another string, again, its another well known idea, but still, doesn't condition low blocking.

Those are just a few I have singled out, and as good as they are, and well documented, they really don't come into line with my first post.

---

All these will result in the same scenario, Reptile being stuck in the dash distance to which he can't really do much, from here, he has no Air control, no consistant or ''dependable'' anti airs, risks dashing or sliding, and can't really throw out acid balls as it again lays everything on the line.

So in my opinion, it's about laying a 12B1 or 32b4 as early and as frequently as possible or even risking the occasional Slide at the end of your block string (with a breaker at hand) to get the opponent to try duck low and make him guess, and not just expect acidhand or :en dash or 32 Invis, every time, and when that acid hand or 1221 hits overhead, that should be exactly what you want. Or am I the only one who does't want the opponent always blocking my overheads, and keeping me in dash distance?
I agree with you. I think that you are very smart player and you have a point. But still jip 312 acid hand ex dash into mix up is a good tool. You are building the meter bar back, but you can't do it during the entire fight. So 12b1 is very usefull. Just one question........On hit 12b1 you don't have so much advantage...so what is the best way to follow 12b1 on hit? Thanks in advance.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator

---

hey man. ahh now i got what you mean. i think i partially meant for the answer but should've been a little bet clear.

i think my answer is actually relative.

this is all about reads :S....i have players who already familiar with my style, that blocks my risks. it comes down at the end to You confusing them and using as much as possible lots of mix up to confuse your opponent as much as possible.

taking the risk to use not just low hitters to knock down and push awareness that you can mix it up , it will cause multiple situation and not just forcing opponent to block standing.
you were saying something THAT wasnt releated in such case, which is gettin hit and that you wasted your chance....or crouch from start....etc

no no, i am talking about a perfect situation...whether after JIP, stagger situation...etc.
u cannot take example and judge!! you can even base the same situation as if it's ALL blocked successfully ....this all comes down to mix ups, reads, pokes...etc

all i can say is that, this is basic to every other char....some have it better than others where you will find it hard to ACTUALLY guess to block low or high...etc but basically, all are the same.

all i can say is, forcing opponent to block low isnt the major thing reptile can achieve. reptile have tons of other options that if done , it will cause opponent to answer differently to Reptiles options.

for examples:

-cut down strings will force opponent sometimes to poke in between to break! whether strings to just throw after wards, jump over, re continue another full string...etc
-Different combo finishers like with dashes to change sides, or invis and turtle, or invis and pressure

so forcing opponent to either block high or low is not the main issue reptile will face....lately, the chances of me doing 3,2,1~acid hand or slide, or even 1,2,2~ low or high finisher can be a risk taking to me! i would rather instead force opponent to react and bait to punish, or keep him stressed out about multiple other options!
will i stop the string to re continue another one? will i do 1 hit and then throw? will it fully finish and then go invis and guard there baited move (especially ex amor? )? will i "FINISH WITH LOW knock down" ? will i jail bait with frame trap EX dash and then NJP or bait after ex elbow dash?

...and so forth

so in my opinion, a lot of stuff causes stress to force opponent to do stuff...not just block high. that's what i meant

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
hey man. ahh now i got what you mean. i think i partially meant for the answer but should've been a little bet clear.

i think my answer is actually relative.

this is all about reads :S....i have players who already familiar with my style, that blocks my risks. it comes down at the end to You confusing them and using as much as possible lots of mix up to confuse your opponent as much as possible.

taking the risk to use not just low hitters to knock down and push awareness that you can mix it up , it will cause multiple situation and not just forcing opponent to block standing.
you were saying something THAT wasnt releated in such case, which is gettin hit and that you wasted your chance....or crouch from start....etc

no no, i am talking about a perfect situation...whether after JIP, stagger situation...etc.
u cannot take example and judge!! you can even base the same situation as if it's ALL blocked successfully ....this all comes down to mix ups, reads, pokes...etc

all i can say is that, this is basic to every other char....some have it better than others where you will find it hard to ACTUALLY guess to block low or high...etc but basically, all are the same.

all i can say is, forcing opponent to block low isnt the major thing reptile can achieve. reptile have tons of other options that if done , it will cause opponent to answer differently to Reptiles options.

for examples:

-cut down strings will force opponent sometimes to poke in between to break! whether strings to just throw after wards, jump over, re continue another full string...etc
-Different combo finishers like with dashes to change sides, or invis and turtle, or invis and pressure

so forcing opponent to either block high or low is not the main issue reptile will face....lately, the chances of me doing 3,2,1~acid hand or slide, or even 1,2,2~ low or high finisher can be a risk taking to me! i would rather instead force opponent to react and bait to punish, or keep him stressed out about multiple other options!
will i stop the string to re continue another one? will i do 1 hit and then throw? will it fully finish and then go invis and guard there baited move (especially ex amor? )? will i "FINISH WITH LOW knock down" ? will i jail bait with frame trap EX dash and then NJP or bait after ex elbow dash?

...and so forth

so in my opinion, a lot of stuff causes stress to force opponent to do stuff...not just block high. that's what i meant
When you dont finish your block strings with Reptile, you get chewed up, he's too slow to not be able to react to staggered strings.

But at the same time hitting me low when I'm stand blocking isnt gonna make me wanna block low any more than I already would. Fuzzy the Slide/Acid hand string ender making the risk on Reptiles side. I'll take the low hits in his strings any day over overhead launchers.

But preferably I'd rather have the Reptile player try stagger their strings.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
When you dont finish your block strings with Reptile, you get chewed up, he's too slow to not be able to react to staggered strings.

But at the same time hitting me low when I'm stand blocking isnt gonna make me wanna block low any more than I already would. Fuzzy the Slide/Acid hand string ender making the risk on Reptiles side. I'll take the low hits in his strings any day over overhead launchers.

But preferably I'd rather have the Reptile player try stagger their strings.
hey foxy. i dont know why, but i feel that you and glue mentioned the same exact situation....hopefully i understood it correctly and thats what both of u meant in some of your sentences lol.

really foxy? so as a result, you will block low strings due to fuzzy guarding? and that it wont make u block low every time?

but at the same time man reptile stoped string and paused one in between, u will Chew reptile up?

-so between the option is mentioned you can punish reptile from all of them?
-yet you can fuzzy guard
3,1~ slide or acid hand
cr+1 or standing 1 ~ invis, slide acid hand
3,2,1~ finisher (whether slide acid hand or invis)
1,2,2 ~ ...etc
1,2~ ....etc
cr+4~ ...etc
and finall f+2

whether they are chained after JIP, or footsies, or in close pressure? will....GL fuzzy guarding his options that EASY and goodluck in chewnig up his multiple options at pressure because "he's too slow" ....(didnt get the staggered part)

>< ..

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage

I think if Reptile actually had something formidable outside of d4, it'd be different, but yeah; you really have no incentive to block low. 12b1 is pretty shitty, b4 is good if you need some extra damage, slide is horribly punishable and is way too risky imo. d4 acid hand does decent chip and builds okay meter, his d4 is great but in terms of pokes but that's all he has going for him in that department.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
12b1 pushes way too far back for Reptile to really get anything else going after it hits, though b1 is a solid advancing poke. Idk about 32b4...fun fact, though, now that you mentioned that, I have rarely been punished hard for either 32b4 or b4 on block.

Reptile's not about the high/low game, anyway. That's evident in blocking low vs him doesn't have much of a reward, either unless he has, like, full meter. Not many characters in the game are heavily rewarded for it, either.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
12b1 pushes way too far back for Reptile to really get anything else going after it hits, though b1 is a solid advancing poke. Idk about 32b4...fun fact, though, now that you mentioned that, I have rarely been punished hard for either 32b4 or b4 on block.

Reptile's not about the high/low game, anyway. That's evident in blocking low vs him doesn't have much of a reward, either unless he has, like, full meter. Not many characters in the game are heavily rewarded for it, either.
not correct my friend.
1,2,2~ invis is -1 on block.... it's a really good tool that only 6 framer or less can punish
1,2,2~ invis will result in a complete close combat and frame war

sweep is negative a lot! not sure but can check it out. though the only advantage he has is the hurtbox being so low

Another PS i wanted to say...will test it out soon:
reptile f+2 and 1,2,2 are one of his most damaging stuns....this looks like a subject to Fuzzy guarding bug if (d,u) fuzzy guard is used. by means if opponent tried to fuzzy guard he will get hit no matter what the case is.
same goes for cr+4 on hit (not sure bout cr+4)
will test later today and give the answer

dont u wish b+1 is chainable? haha.....perfect answer for AA cross ups

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Eh? What was wrong? I was talking about 12b1 lol.

Also, didn't Somber look at 122 xx invis and find that it's -7? At least that's what I recalled.

Sabin

Elder God
Frame data in this game is still a lightup I see there's still no consensus of advantage or disadvantage lol. Fix the blockstun :(

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Eh? What was wrong? I was talking about 12b1 lol.

Also, didn't Somber look at 122 xx invis and find that it's -7? At least that's what I recalled.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!!! haha...i apologize!! such a scrubby mistake haha...sorry smith, dont flip out yet haha

my mistake!! i counted it wrong be reversing the process lol. instead of saying 6 framers can only punish and not 7 frames, and then subtracting the double, i simply reversed it and said...ohhh u can block 7 frames but cant 6 frames, then it means -1 (which is the diffrence in negative ) ROFL

bad match...i apologize again

1,2,2~ invis is around -6/ -7 ....the only frame that can punish is anything below 7 frames (6 in that case, like jax, sonya pokes...etc, reptile elbow...kenshi charge...etc)

and your wrong about not being able to close combat chain string after 1,2,2. u can by using 1,2,2~ invis

[MENTION=2311]Sabin[/MENTION]
Frame data in this game is still a lightup I see there's still no consensus of advantage or disadvantage lol. Fix the blockstun

lol...i luv u more now. the blockstun makes this game UN TOLERATABLE most of the time...must be fixed and i cant STRESS OUT THE FACT on this!! like in every thread of nerfs and fixing, i have to mention this

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't use 12 B1 but I do use B1 every now and then as a poke.Because it has good range(similar to Smoke's B2) and bags 5%.I wish it was cancellable to make it more usefull but you have to work with what you got.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I don't use 12 B1 but I do use B1 every now and then as a poke.Because it has good range(similar to Smoke's B2) and bags 5%.I wish it was cancellable to make it more usefull but you have to work with what you got.
I'm better than you.

Most Reptiles I play are easy to predict true. Nobody is taking the time to learn new strings or anything. The best thing you can do Is to be as random as possible in matches, and they won't know what to block. My piece of advice. and @Temjin im better. LOL