What's new

Reiko General Discussion

I've yet to see any good gameplay, but from the little I've seen i'm mostly fine with it?

He's never had a ton of identity. "Other ninja" in mk4, which already had major issues with identity, and then "diet shao" later on didn't leave him with a ton of interesting options to go for.

I haven't seen the flip kick or the teleport, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Even if they don't, I think i'm find with him being a MMAish grappler. It's hard to get too much of a vibe though from the crappy footage i've seen, and I wouldn't be shocked if he's got more going on. Frankly from the little I've seen he feels FAAAAR too fair right now, so i suspect there's either move properties I don't understand or other moves that weren't shown off.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Why does he look like an MK11 Jacqui reskin? He straight up has her F12, lol.
holy shit, you are right. I can't unsee now how "female-ish" his moves look like. Plus he got Jade fatality in a sense.
It's disappointing as I had so high expectations in terms of his appearance in this game.

Temptress

Edenian Empress
holy shit, you are right. I can't unsee now how "female-ish" his moves look like. Plus he got Jade fatality in a sense.
It's disappointing as I had so high expectations in terms of his appearance in this game.
I don't think his animations look bad per se, but they just feel inharmonious with his visual aesthetics and some of the punches look stiff. Hard to tell with the AI repeating the same strings and specials repeatedly so I'll hold off on judgement until I get my hands on him, but he looks... odd.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
yea, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the quality of animations. They just look a bit weird for him, especially after you pointed out that those could be Jacqui's reused ones. Even his punches look like hers.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Hot take: I think, from the very limited footage we saw, that this iteration of Reiko is quite simply Jacqui 2.0 - a borefest of wasted potential. Not touching him unless I see something that blows my mind and changes my perspective completely, and I doubt that will happen.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I don't give a single shit about the terminator. He can go to hell with other guests. From past and from the future.

On topic - notice Reiko's knee-charge. Pay attention to his low punches (like low-torso ones). And most importantly - check his fatality.

Isn't that something that is looking like being ripped of from Jacqui (punches, knee) and Jade (fatality)?
Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but as said - I cannot unsee it right now.

His animations couldn't be any more aesthetically boring to me, completely uninspired. I think he'll please someone though? Just sad that a character with a nice-ish potential for good looking moves was gutted like that.

At least his classic brotherhood make-up is still a serve and I can use it on my avatar to look cute, by other than that, dead on arrival lol

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
so, Reiko is generic as fuck ?

that's the conclusion about it ?

I dunno; will wait for the game release, lab the motherfucker in the training mode, and see if he has some usefulness or not, hehe :p

I'm excited for him. And I'm super excited if he's one of, if not the only so far, grappler in this game.

That said his fatal blow looks very generic. Also the move that looks to be his grapple move is kind of lack luster, but I've felt this way about a lot of NRS's grapple characters ever since they knocked if out of the park with Grundy in Injustice (among others). Reiko's grapple move just looks meh, Zangief's regular throws in SF6 look a million times better/have more weight to them. It also seems to side switch which is an annoying feature NRS keep giving to grappler's.

haketh

Noob
I am not seeing anything gendered about Reiko’s animations that point to him being a reuse of Jacqui stuff like at all

Same with the Fatality, other than using a pole arm for it, it’s not really striking me as something Jade would do. This is way more “Brutal Warlord making an example of an Enemy General and turning their corpse in a Standard” than anything Jade would do.

That stuff aside, the tackle takedown is pretty dope but I’m always a sucker for that kind of stuff. Also looking forward to figuring out how many of those knees I can put in a combo.