What's new

Reepal and Aris talk "Hands-On" with Mortal Kombat X @ E3, stamina bar + much more explained

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
Seems like with no dash blocking and dashing costing stamina they want to make it more of a footsie game like Street Fighter.

They don't want run to be a button because they want players to have to use skill to use it. They don't want people just hitting buttons with no thought involved
This is untrue. Nothing in MK is done to make execution high as a balancing mechanic.

The skill in MK has never been hitting complex buttoms on time, its been about knowing when and what buttons should be hit.

In MK its not "can I do this? " it's "should I do this?"

This is not Street Fighter where things are made intentionally difficult as an "execution barrier"

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
So that Fwd dash things using Stanima Incorrect!
The you need to Dash before Running Incoorect Incorrect!
and oh yeah about Dash's being slower than Injustice and they cover more space
i dont know, you tell me

Thats 2 Dash's btw

But i havent played the game for 3 hours so my opinion is Invalid

P.S ill say again this is not aimed at RIP, he did a good job and i thank him for his information mans a legend

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This is untrue. Nothing in MK is done to make execution high as a balancing mechanic.

The skill in MK has never been hitting complex buttoms on time, its been about knowing when and what buttons should be hit.

In MK its not "can I do this? " it's "should I do this?"

This is not Street Fighter where things are made intentionally difficult as an "execution barrier"
hugs
and
kisses

and you like SZ

MORE HUGS

mwelele zaza

Aioffe Belle
During E3, @Rip aka Reepal got an opportunity to play Mortal Kombat X behind the scenes for several hours. Following his time playing the game hands-on, Rip is drilled with questions on @Aris AvoidingThePuddle podcast. Topics discussed include the stamina bar, character variations and much more.

Starts at 22:15. The dash mechanic and stamina gauge is explained. You can't break a combo without a full stamina gauge, apparently! That's pretty nuts! Be careful with your dashes because if they get punished, you're done, son!

edited/promoted by STORMS*
Hi am using a mobile phone so I can't see the video can u please send me the video URL but edit it e.g you!tube.com/watch then I will just delete the "!" So that I can see the video thanks

Look at my Gif near the top of the page
this could just mean he hit ff B very quickly. or even buffered ff then triggered dash with B. also dash and run could have the same starting Animation so that the Transition is smooth. this gif doesnt necesarrily prove rips description wrong.

I definitely do not want the core mechanics of a character to change across variations. That's just asking for 2 or 3 characters to be dominant the way Kabal was. If only a few moves change, then it's much easier to balance and avoid that kind of exploitive dominance.

I'm also super psyched about dash-blocking being gone, as well as the stamina bar and loss of some of those other mechanics that really favored braindead-but-safe rushdown. Any fighting game that requires patience to achieve the highest levels of play is gonna get my support.

One important question, though: @Rip started to talk about something where you can double meter burn Scorpion's spear. What the hell was that about?! I got so pissed at Aris cutting him off when he was trying to explain that. Do we know any more about how it works or what it does? Can anyone else do that shit?

Last edited:
I definitely do not want the core mechanics of a character to change across variations. That's just asking for 2 or 3 characters to be dominant the way Kabal was. If only a few moves change, then it's much easier to balance and avoid that kind of exploitive dominance.

I'm also super psyched about dash-blocking being gone, as well as the stamina bar and loss of some of those other mechanics that really favored braindead-but-safe rushdown. Any fighting game that requires patience to achieve the highest levels of play is gonna get my support.

One important question, though: Rip started to talk about something where you can double meter burn Scorpion's spear. What the hell was that about?! I got so pissed at Aris cutting him off when he was trying to explain that. Do we know any more about how it works or what it does? Can anyone else do that shit?
1. some People (not you) act as if changing the Special move palette wouldnt be a big Thing. it can Change the whole strategy of the character though. i think they Chose the right Approach, but i would have preferred if you could Change style during match like mkda. the way it is right now tournaments might become a counterpicking fest with just as much battle in the menues as in the Arenas.

2. you have to burn the spear pre-emptively to get the MB Version at all, but on hit it can be MBed again, while the normal Version cant be MBed on hit. thats how i understood it.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
You cant break a combo without a full stamina gauge? so its either between picking an X-Ray or saving it for combos so you wont get pummeled easily. So it is a 50/50 chance when using full meter.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
They talk about MK for about 30 minutes. If you don't care enough to devote 30 minutes listening to someone talk about a new MK game, you might be on the wrong site.

I told you where to start when they begin talking about MK. It's a good listen. Typing out every detail they go over would be a lot to cover.
Dude stfu I listened to the whole thing. I was talking about lazy gamers not me.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
It literally does nothing, dude. Your character flips the way he/she is standing. It has zero effect on the actual gameplay. It's the most useless button in fighting game history.
Actually, that's not true at all.

You can use stance switch as a baiting tool.

Allow me to explain: Take Harley Quinn for example. When she fires a gun, she switches stances. So if you tap the stance switch button, it looks like she's going to fire a gun when she isn't.

Characters with moves that turn the body benefit from using stance switch to bait. You can also use it depending on your character, as sudden movement from an opponent can often cause people to dash in carelessly.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I want the Stamina bar to NOT replenish while the character is being hit.

This would mean if your run or backdash gets punished you will eat an unbreakable combo.

This would be AWESOME.

E

Eldriken

I want the Stamina bar to NOT replenish while the character is being hit.

This would mean if your run or backdash gets punished you will eat an unbreakable combo.

This would be AWESOME.
The stamina bar has to be full to use a breaker?

E

Eldriken

Ohhhhh, boy. They're adding some massive depth to the game it would seem. Now, just because someone has two bars of meter, they're not necessarily guaranteed a breaker if they used up their stamina bar and it's not fully recharged when they get hit.