What's new

Red Hood Normals/Strings Into Trait Gap Sizes

UPR_Nova

Noob
This is basically the gap for string/normal cancelled into trait 3. For example, 11xx43 is a true blockstring with no gap between the 4 and the 3. 112xx4(3) has a 5 frame gap between the 4 and the 3, meaning Wonder Woman, Batman and I think Joker can parry and the entire cast can backdash. Hopefully, this is useful to Red Hood mains and those defending against him.

Please feel free to let me know if something is not easy to understand or could be written in a different way. Also, it goes without saying, please let me know if something is incorrect. I tried to be as crispy as possible on these cancels but there is always a chance that I messed up or I'm calculating incorrectly.

Normals
1 trait -> 8 frame gap
*b1 trait -> 1 - 3
d1 trait -> 10
2 trait -> 10
**b2 trait -> 5 or 6
*f2 trait -> 1 - 3
***d2 trait -> 7 or 8
*3 trait -> 1 - 3

Strings
11 trait -> no gap, true blockstring
112 trait -> 5 frame gap
22 trait -> 8
**b23 trait -> 5 or 6
*f23 trait -> 1 - 3
***32 trait -> 7 or 8

*If the string/normal is 1 - 3, this means that it isn't a true blockstring, however, the exact gap count is unknown as there aren't any 3 frame or less normals/specials to test.

**If the string/normal is 5 or 6, this means that a 5 frame reversal will punish the gap (Wonder Woman parry) but a 5 frame start-up normal isn't available to test so it could possibly be a 6 frame gap.

***If the string/normal is 7 or 8, this means that it has some kind of weird, ducking properties that some characters can take advantage of. For example, Batman 7 frame start-up standing 1 will trade but his 7 frame start-up d1 will win. You will have to take that to the lab for your particular character. It's pretty safe to say add a frame when standing.

Last edited:

UPR_Nova

Noob
So 1xx43 is +4 or am I not under standing this correctly
1 into trait is +4, meaning there is an 8 frame gap in 1x4(3), also meaning a 7 frame startup normal will punish. Anything above that will get beaten or trade if it's the same, i.e 9 frame attack, 8 frames of startup in this case.

1 into trait is +4, meaning there is an 8 frame gap in 1x4(3), also meaning a 7 frame startup normal will punish. Anything above that will get beaten or trade if it's the same, i.e 9 frame attack, 8 frames of startup in this case.
Ok I see so how can we take advantage of this.

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
So im assuming its not plus at all if you do say f23 41?

UPR_Nova

Noob
So im assuming its not plus at all if you do say f23 41?
See that one is weird. I didn't really get into testing that. I know it's some sort of negative in most situations but I don't know the negativity. Might be the next project, unless they are all highly negative. No point if that's the case.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

No idea what it means but it looks like you worked hard!

UPR_Nova

Noob
Edited the OP to reflect what it actually is rather than come confusing, plus frame nonsense. Although that is actually what it is, it's better to simply say "these are gaps" than letting everyone try to decipher what, more than likely, only makes sense to me. I hope this is better!

G11OST

Noob
let me edit my first Post

Wtf did u just say

*Edit
*I mean, wow the way you string words together is just so beautiful, a masterpiece. I will never be lost again.
lol, looks great tho man, makes complete sense now and is very good information you have gathered here. Great job. Thanks.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
So basically, it's this:

How plus/negative you are with your starting string, determines if there is a gap with trait cancel into 3.

So like, how Liu Kang's f213~fbrc into f44 would be considered a true blockstring in MKX but some of his other strings are not.

UPR_Nova

Noob
So basically, it's this:

How plus/negative you are with your starting string, determines if there is a gap with trait cancel into 3.

So like, how Liu Kang's f213~fbrc into f44 would be considered a true blockstring in MKX but some of his other strings are not.
For the most part. I feel like there were some outliers but regardless, your statement is true.