What's new

Recommended New 52 titles?

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
OK, I REALLY don't like contributing to the DC Comics forum on TYM but I'm not on ComicVine or anything so this'll have to do. Pretty much all I've read of the New 52 at the moment is Aquaman and a bit of Justice League.

EGGXI Because I know you'll have something to say.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
The first graphic novel for Batman: Court of Owls and Red Hood and the Outlaws are both really good. I'd stay away from Nightwing, even if you are a big fan of the character.
Red Hood and the Outlaws? Really? I've wanted to check it out for a long time, but I don't think I've heard a single positive thing about it.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Top Tier:
Earth 2: Shhh just do it. Earth 2 is the best Earth.
Wonder Woman: It's good, made me actually want to keep reading Wonder Woman, huge fan now.
Flash: Pretty good, dig the art style ALOT.
Batman: I know it's Batman but some of the story arcs are literally flawless, some of the best of the 52 happens to be in here (Night of Owls knocks it out the park IMO)... maybe consider picking up Talon after this?

Mid Tier:
You're already reading Justice League & Aquaman and those are both solid.
Swamp Thing: Maybe, depends if you're willing to read Animal Man as well.
Suicide Squad: Bit hit and miss but it's on the ups.

I mean... what characters do you like/have an interest in and I can hook you up with something better than my personal faves.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Batwoman: Elegy...
Most of the BLC stuff was pretty awesome too. Made me actually care about a Superman story arc. Aquaman is picking up too.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Not speaking from experience but I think the general thought is that Wonderwoman has the best New 52 storyline going from what I've read on TYM.

Don't even know why I'm posting this though, I seriously don't know shit about actual comics.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Red Hood and the Outlaws? Really? I've wanted to check it out for a long time, but I don't think I've heard a single positive thing about it.
They did a great job with Jason Todd, and for the first time I think Starfire is interesting (I've always hated the character), although many complain that she is oversexualized. Red Arrow/Arsenal is a complete fuck up in this series, so if you previously liked the character, again you might want to skip this one.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
They did a great job with Jason Todd, and for the first time I think Starfire is interesting (I've always hated the character), although many complain that she is oversexualized. Red Arrow/Arsenal is a complete fuck up in this series, so if you previously liked the character, again you might want to skip this one.
I don't care about Red Arrow at all so it's cool. I think I'll check it out, I might have just been hearing too much about Starfire. Still not sure what Red Hood's doing in a team though.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
She's still damn terrible.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I mean... what characters do you like/have an interest in and I can hook you up with something better than my personal faves.
I'm pretty much open to anything, plus if you asked me to name all of my favourite DC characters I'd be here for a long time.

Briyen

Noob
flash
wonder woman
batman
green arrow (new team started around 17)
JLA
animal man

*current

but if you go back there was more that was better like swamp thing with snyder or action comics grant morrison

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I'm pretty much open to anything, plus if you asked me to name all of my favourite DC characters I'd be here for a long time.
Alright, well basically the stuff I have gone back to read all over again in the New 52 are Earth 2, Wonder Woman, Flash, Suicide Squad, Batman & Swamp Thing.

But Wonder Woman and Earth 2 are my recommendations.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Personally,

Wonder Woman. Seriously you can't go wrong everything about it is amazing.

Batwoman. Great art. Decent writing. The first story arc went on a bit long but it's still carried by the utterly gorgeous art and layouts.

Now this next one is a love it or hate it, but personally I like Simone.

Batgirl. Some people just don't like Simone, she can be a bit wordy and the art is hit or miss, but she's always had a great handle on Babs. Unlike some of the other bat family Barbara actually seems like a 3-dimensional character.

I read a bit of Red Hood and the Outlaws and I'm just not sure where the appeal lies. Arsenal is a mopey screw up. Red Hood is just every 90s bad boy comic cliche that made everyone hate 90s comics, and Starfire is literally a soulless sex doll. But hey if you dig it you dig it, but honestly for me one character was more boring and lame than the next.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
Alright, well basically the stuff I have gone back to read all over again in the New 52 are Earth 2, Wonder Woman, Flash, Suicide Squad, Batman & Swamp Thing.

But Wonder Woman and Earth 2 are my recommendations.
Could you give a little info on the Earth 2 storyline/characters (or at least how it starts out, I'm not sure what the current issue # is)? I personally know little to nothing of it, I'd appreciate a minor summary. Put it in spoiler tags if you want.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Could you give a little info on the Earth 2 storyline/characters (or at least how it starts out, I'm not sure what the current issue # is)? I personally know little to nothing of it, I'd appreciate a minor summary. Put it in spoiler tags if you want.
Basically Earth 2 was similar in a lot of ways to Earth One with some minor differences here and there.
In the Justice League comic the opening fight that brings them together is a fight against an invasion from Apokalips, not that they know it at the time, some portals open up and there are some Parademons etc.

In Earth 2 this assault was a thousand times worse, and in a last-ditch effort to save their earth, three of their greatest Wonders (their word for heroes, as their Justice League were known as the 8 Wonders of the World) gave their lives to save it. Those three Wonders were Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The casualties on Earth were massive, leaving giant Apokolips fire-pits marring the surface of Earth (it's explained in Issue #0 how this happened). Of the 8 Wonders, 3 were killed, two were missing in action (their adventure continue in World's Finest) and it is unknown what remains of some of the others.

After this, many countries united to form the World Army, to ensure nothing like this could ever happen again. In a world now without Wonders, with No Hal Jordan and Green Lantern Corps, No Justice League, No Batman or Wonder Woman or Superman etc.

This is basically how the story starts, you are about to meet a new age of heroes, not like the ones you know. Earth 2 is basically the New 52 to answer to the Justice Society of America, WWII Era heroes like the original Flash and Green Lantern, except now they are now in a modern setting in a different kind of "World War".

TL;DR: It's a world where Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Supergirl and nearly all the characters from Earth 1 don't exist, but different versions of the Flash & Green Lantern do who got their powers in different ways.

August

yssalc sa lleh
Aside from the aforementioned Aquaman, Animal Man, and Swamp-Thing, I recommend Justice League Dark. The first story arc is brilliant. If you can get past the changes they made to Constantine and Zatanna, you'll enjoy it even more. The rest of the story arcs don't really compare to the first one, but they're not that bad. I still read it because I like magic and occult comics in general. Plus, JLD is gonna be part of Trinity War.

you could read flash, i need more captain cold soldiers. i've only heard good things about wonder woman, you can also try reading swamp thing and animal man.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
I'm reading almost all of the New52 titles (it's bad), but Justice League of America, Justice League, Batgirl, & Batman are by far the best and well written.

I don't read Swamp Thing, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Wonder Woman and Batman are musts. The best DC mainstream superhero books on the shelves, IMO.

Haven't read Earth 2, but it seems to be a "love it or meh it" title. The art is supposedly consistently gorgeous though.

I really like Justice League, and I've come to enjoy JLA as well. I'm a huge Martian Manhunter fan, as well as Hawkman, so that's a big part of it though. It's nice to see them handled well, and to see Catwoman in capable creative hands too. Also, these two books are where most of the big event stuff in the DCU will spin out of, as you might guess.

Green Lantern is solid for the first 20 issues. I love Sinestro, so I enjoyed keeping up with that. Since he left, not too much interested in Douche Jordan. Though I might pick up Green Lantern Corps., as John is my favorite GL, and it seems to be heading in a positive direction.

If you want a Superman title and are willing to gamble, go with Scott Snyder's Superman Unchained. Decent so far, and it's only 2 issues in.

Obviously I am crazy biased because I love the book, but I've also never read/heard bad/meh things about it.
I admit, the only reviews of it that I have seen are on IGN. They consistently do not care for the story, but praise the art. But they have most certainly been wrong before. I have wanted to check it out personally for while now, and your recommendation has motivated me.

Reedoms

Noob
I admit, the only reviews of it that I have seen are on IGN. They consistently do not care for the story, but praise the art. But they have most certainly been wrong before. I have wanted to check it out personally for while now, and your recommendation has motivated me.
Don't ever go to IGN for deciding if you want to buy something. If it isn't 10/10 it's shit with them. If it looks interesting, take a look at it.