What's new

Reasons we LOVE Mortal Kombat XL

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There is no denying that we have our fair share of BS, but there is also an great amount of things NRS did pretty good with this game,, here are my favorite ones:

1. I know more than half disagrees with it, but i think the Variation system into some extend works great for the game, it adds diversity, and there has to be at least one variation that suits your playstyle, even if its not as strong, or it not reached the intended initial goal.

2. I can finally play MKXL with a stick pretty well and feel the advantage is just as the same as playing on D-Pad this time around, thank you NRS for the legacy controllers, you've earned 1000 points for that.

3. The Training mode is incredible refined and incredible fitting, hopefully it grows from there, though i'm actually satisfied with it, can't wait until more features are added in future games, that allows us to go more technical from defending against setups.

4. Music shifting between rounds. Honestly hoping this returns.

5. Rematch option is the best one in every fighting game, it happens so fast that puts any other game out there into shame, you can even do it before the winning animation begins.

6. Configure controls in select character screen or in the fighting, absolutely perfect, on a side note, wish the custom had more slots though that could be easily switched, i see a lot of people redefining custom controllers all the time.

7. The Pause delay, no one will ever take the pause win again haha.

8. The save replay game, i know to some its kinda pointless since PS4 and XBONE can stream and save videos, still i think its pretty useful, specially to those who can't stream or save videos right away into the PS4 system.

9. Match extended

10. It took us 5 years, but finally we have an Online worth playing, it even got me to pay PS Plus subscription just for it

11. Expanded costume appeal research, thank god women don't all look as dressed hookers anymore

12. Being incredibly supportive to the community until the moment, and still going, either balanced, bugs correction or tournament support, over 100 thumbs up for this.

13. Normals having the same hit animation and advantage if hits someone crouching or standing, i dunno who had this idea, but it was genius really.

14. In game frame data got a massive overhaul, i know its not perfect, but it was a pretty good attempt, sometimes what's missing are just the little details, like specific frame data on certain moves when hit or blocked, such as damage and chip the same move deals or recovery, but its really just a few, specially dual hitting moves from a single command.

15. Quitalities

16. The addition of stage fatalities in the last patch, such as the pit stage was a very good idea.

17. Goro being a playable character, gives some good hopes for other boss characters in future mk games, imagine Shao Kahn, Kintaro and Motaro, damn.

18. AI difficulties, and actually capable of doing juggle combos

19. Counting wins/loses/win streaks

I know we all like to suggest things for improvement, pretty sure there is a big list on this one, but since we've been doing this from every good or bad critic thread, this one goes just as some positive suggestions.

Maybe instead of launching one DLC character at the time and further balancing one after another, releasing the entire pack in the same day can be a time saving idea (KP2), which allows everyone to grind all of them at one single shot, so when the patch comes, it gets to further balance all of them at once instead of going through patchings, it might actually save patching times and sort.

We've been having armor as a defensive mechanic in game, which is rewarded for having meter, and its practically the most obvious defensive mechanic in the game, i was thinking maybe NRS wants to add something new to reinvent the wheel.

MK has going into a direction, where i think having counter hits as a rewarding mechanic has been a necessity for a while, MK9 had different frame advantages if one is hit standing or crouching, this mechanic was removed, maybe re introduced as counters only? Too much street fighter into it?

Another way to small reward players with meter, punishing any move in the game should reward players with a bit of a bar. Maybe that's something counter hits should do as well.

First hit bonus, or starting the match with one bar, pick one.

Training mode could use some improvements in some areas, such as:
frame data counter, if you can design a script to count startup, block and hit stun, and recovery inside the game, there is no way you need to shove the frame data hand written for every single character in the game.
It can also be used to display the data when moves hit, are blocked, or when it whiffs, so the player will know exactly how plus, or minus he is right from there instead of doing maths, not that doing maths is a bad thing.

Hitbox viewer
If you can see the hitboxes in the game, phantom hitboxes are less likely to exist

If variation are to make a return, rather just add more characters to the cast that could have made it and no variations at all

Still waiting the day, NRS will make some minor characters playable and develop their histories, it would be a totally awesome idea, i haven't lost faith that NRS can redeem any character from past MKs, playable or not.

a) Great Kung Lao: Kinda curious how Liu Kang, and Kungs ancestors plays, he seemed totally awesome.
b) Sektor's father
c) Demons (we had sareena once, the entire trio is a race that is missing from actual kombat, some good part of the lore to explore though.)
d) Raiden has failed earth realm more than anytime i can count now, Its time for another gods to assume his place, Fujin should be the rightfully god to do so, but the other gods shouldn't be ignored, they exist after all.
e) we need a new realm
d) we need a new stage that is not on earth realm, outworld, netherrealm, or edenia

REO

Undead
1.) The Online

2.) The character balance

3.) The walk speed

4.) Extended Match (AKA tie rounds)

5.) The characters and roster

6.) The character select screen design

7.) The pause delay option

8.) The lowered health bars

9.) The Brutalities

10.) The longer continued support and patches compared to MK9 & Injustice

11.) Armor attacks just having one hit of armor

12.) The reversal system

13.) The amazing practice / training mode

14.) The heavily detailed Life Bars

15.) The specific match up and multiple different character intros

16.) The soundtrack

17.) The updated controller configurations and options

18.) The addition of block stop

19.) Kustom Kombat

20.) Replay Saves

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
- Having 99 different characters to play is fucking awesome
- Interactables you can actually block
- Special Forces and Konjurer being so fucking fun to play
- The satisfaction from doing cool/high damage combos
- The satisfying sense of progression as you improve at the game
- The quality of online
- Watching high level players compete
- The support through patches
- Butcher's brutality

omooba

fear the moobs
jacqui says "say my name bitch"
ermac says we are many more times infinity asjxgfygbhkrwnemas
liu kang burns your dick off
kano calls cassie a bitch
johnny cage exposes mileena for having sex with baraka

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
The content. There is just SO MUCH content. Different modes for single-player fun, lots of multiplayer fight options, costumes, character dialogue, lore, Krypt unlockables... It's really incredible.

In contrast, now when I play Street Fighter V, I'm so bummed at how there's next to nothing. It's the most bare bones fighting game I've ever played. It honestly still feels like it's a beta.

Last edited:

Decay

King of the Bill
It's NetherRealm's most refined game to date, a lot of love went into it. The quality of this game compared to many fighters is way superior, from the online, modes, single player content, characters, all the way down to the level of detail in animation and art design.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
Having arguments with one person while helping them out on an entirely different subject (@omooba :D)

All the shit Ferra/Torr says
"MEEEEEBOOOOYYYYY"
"WE BREAK FACE"
"TORRRRRIFIC!!"
"ZAP ZAP NO HURT WE"(talking to raiden)

Sweet brutalities (some unnecessarily hard)
Comebacks are real
Unique character intros (I feel like this is part of why I never really picked up a fighter like street fighter or Soulcaliber like I have mkx, hearing the same shit over and over is annoying)
Ferra/Torr
Ferra/Torr
Ferra
Torr

did I mention Ferra/Torr!?!? (seriously tho guys I have been in love with this character since day 1, even when we were actually mid to lower tier I was still winning and still loving the two)

And my favourite thing about MKXL?

You guys, the community, if I talk toomuch I'll prolly start crying at work but despite my snide remarks, smart ass attitude, I have a deep appreciation for YOU, all the info, all the shit talk, all the love, all of it. It's the best part of playing this game. Lets keep it up guys.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
Default Liu Kang is the best design this character ever had.

Faction Wars which allows unique main menus and customized kombat kard. You can make yourself recognizible with this online.

Current online netkode.

Visuals and sound designs - 10 out of 10.

Unique intro dialogues between the entire cast.

Story Mode with much better cut-scenes and awesome QTE.

The Krypt design and gameplay wise is perfection.

Stylish character select screen with animated models, where you can see alternative costumes right away and characters have their own unique animations of how they enter towards you when you select them and how they go behind the screen during loading. I just love the aesthetics of MKX.

Practice Mode.

Comfortable and fast Rematch function for Versus mode.

Lots of single player stuff.

I love having access to any and all frame data in the game. It makes the amazing practice mode even better. This should be a norm for fighting games.

The overall presentation and aesthetics of the game. The intro dialogue, the beautiful graphics and the entirety of the character select screen in general.

The abundance of single player content.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
1. Cyrax being in the game.

2. The rest of KP2.

3. New netcode.

4. BRC farting during combos.

5. My characters having all the tools and the perfect tool set i wanted from them.

6. The new characters (Not the KP2, i'm talking about cassie, d'vorah, ferra/torr, takeda, jacqui, kung jin)

7. KP1

8. Watching someone quit while you mop them with unblockable resets online feels good :cool:.

9. Having a really useful training mode that allows us to do everything we want in it.

10. Living towers.

11. New character costumes.

12. The krypt.

13. High execution characters.

14. Low execution characters.

15. Tie matches.

16. Being able to save recordings of gameplay in training mode.

17. The characters and how they play.

18. Armor attacks for characters that actually need them.

19. No armor for characters that don't need it.

20. Zoning characters.

21. Rushdown characters.

22. Characters with no mixups and are all about hit-confirming and spacing.

23. All the patched normalizing characters (Well, *looks at tanya* maybe)

24. All the buffs for characters who actually needed them (Well, *looks at ferra/torr maybe)

25. How balanced the characters are.

26. Being able to make your own controller figuration settings.

27. AI being able to do good combos in very hard and able to own the human body in seconds, but not really they're pretty free if you know what you're doing.

28. All the brutalities.

29. Test your luck for freaking hilarious games with friends or siblings.

30. Test your might for me to snap my controller in half.

31. Sadly jumpscares in the krypt aren't that scary, but they can catch you off guard sometimes lol.

32. The people sending me hate-mail.

33. People said my erron black was good :eek:.

34. "The Pit " arena coming back, i love that stage man.

35. All the intros for every character in the game.

36. Endless and survivor towers to see how long you can hold up before you eventually lose.

37. All the NRS developers actually caring about their fans, no matter how many times we've said "Fuck you and your shitty ass netcode, micro-transaction bullshit, go burn in hell"

38. Corrupted shinnok boss fight, because this version is OP.

39. All the tower challenges.

40. King of the hill.

41. Team battles, i wish people played this mode more :(, it has so much potential.

42. The online delay into offline option.

43. The sound effects.

44. The animation of the characters.

45. The tournaments we watch or participate in as competitive players.

46. The pot bonuses that keep the tournaments going.

47. Local tournaments.

48. The support of local scenes in some countries for mkxl.

49. Sonicfox ending top 9 at winter brawl in sfv. :eek:

50. All the interesting challenges to obtain each costume.

51. Having almost 100 different variations to play with.

I can list more but these should probably be enough. :joker:

Edit: Lol at the people who don't have any reasons to love this game.

Last edited:

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Oh boy I just love everything about it. The gameplay, the look, the content. They blew my fucking face off with this game. I absolutely adored mk9 and i didnt see any way to possibly top it. Then this game comes out and just improved every last thing.

I really just love Mortal Kombat and its great to see them so perfectly adapt the franchise into the modern era. But even if the next game was just two turds fighting toilet bowl, if they're wearing colorful ninja masks, I'm buying it.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Run Button
Training Mode
Decent Netcode(finally)
Fast-Paced offensive gameplay
Unique new characters(Dvorah, Erron, and Ferra T. are all great IMO)
Brutalities
Leatherface
Continued support for the game a year after its release
Abundance of armor moves(to lessen the impact of all the 50/50s)
Variation system
Most characters now have at least 1 viable variation
MKX being a mostly read based game focusing on conditioning and mindgames(seeing the game through my mains eyes hear lol)
The new Krypt is tight
THe community overall becoming much bigger
Financial support that NRS has continued giving

Probably more but thats off the top of my head