What's new

General/Other - Jacqui Briggs Reasons I Think Jacqui Briggs Is NOT Top 5

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Lol, wut

He landed 5 b2's in the set
He whiffed 2 of them due to being too far away on reads

I'm no rocket scientist, but Math > Tears

Also, Sonic isn't the only player that knows how to effectively use Jacqui's tools in neutral -- just the most prominent example.
We know how to use her tools, that doesn't mean she has strong neutral tools.

Compare them to something like Cassie, Mileena, Alien, Kung Jin, Kenshi, Jax, Johnny Cage, D'Vorah, Takeda, Sonya, Jason, Kotal, Predator and you see what we mean.

Her neutral is existent but hard to utilise. The reward she gets for actually touching you is where her strength lies. In shotgun she gets low shot to help her neutral and 50/50 restands. High tech gets ridiculous block pressure so once she gets in either on hit or block she can start her game. This variation however suffers the most in the neutral. Full auto gets a full screen presence and makes the opponent approach her.

All have their strengths and weakness, the neutral just isn't really one of her strengths collectively across all her variations.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
We know how to use her tools, that doesn't mean she has strong neutral tools.

Compare them to something like Cassie, Mileena, Alien, Kung Jin, Kenshi, Jax, Johnny Cage, D'Vorah, Takeda, Sonya, Jason, Kotal, Predator and you see what we mean.

Her neutral is existent but hard to utilise.

The irony of this is inescapable.

Anyway, it's clear that you guys have your minds made up, so I'm going to tiptoe out of the thread. Meanwhile Sonic will still be using the fastest run in the game and a 70% screen mid-hitting uppercut to get in where he wants and stay in. And people will continue writing it off as Sonic's Magic Fairy Dust

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

The irony of this is inescapable
I see the comparison you are trying to make here haha.

I've said for the longest time that Jacqui is like batgirl. Funny thing is, MKX is full of so much stuff that I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that she is as strong in MKX as batgirl is in Injustice.

For what it's worth I actually think smoke is the closest character to batgirl in terms of gameplay, gameplan and moveset.

Beside the point, I still stand by the point that batgirl's neutral wasn't brain dead easy as everyone had you believe. Granted once she hit you game over, but with characters like sinestro, Martian, doomsday, aquaman and batman with much stronger neutral tools, you can understand why.

Honestly, having a difficult neutral doesn't preclude a character from being good, or even from being exceptional (as batgirl was/is).

As I said before, the reason she is not top 5 is purely a numbers game. It's not because of poor pokes or lack of fast ranged normals (although these are some of the reasons she's not considered better than she already is). It's simply because there are probably around 10ish characters who deserve higher placements.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
As I said before, the reason she is not top 5 is purely a numbers game. It's not because of poor pokes or lack of fast ranged normals. It's simply because there are probably around 10ish characters who deserve higher placements.
Which is reasonable -- and I didn't enter this thread to contest whether she was Top 5 or not (I still think it's too early post-patch to call a definitive Top 5). Only to contest this silly talking point that having shorter limbs means you can't be a great character in MKX.

I meant Red didn't but alright. I don't know about that, at 11 frames and with good reach it can be a useful whiff punisher since god knows her other moves won't reach or are too slow lol. Think of it like Subs/Reptiles slide but a high :p
yeah thats who i meant too

Which is reasonable -- and I didn't enter this thread to contest whether she was Top 5 or not (I still think it's too early post-patch to call a definitive Top 5). Only to contest this silly talking point that having shorter limbs means you can't be a great character in MKX.
B2 is too slow to be considered a footsie tool.....you wouldn't block a poke then go into a b2. if the opponent knows the MU, that aint happening. Kotal kahn and shinnok can abuse their d4's. you cant even poke back on a blocked cassie d3 because nothing is fast enough or long enough for her to poke back with.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
B2 is too slow to be considered a footsie tool.....you wouldn't block a poke then go into a b2. if the opponent knows the MU, that aint happening. Kotal kahn and shinnok can abuse their d4's. you cant even poke back on a blocked cassie d3 because nothing is fast enough or long enough for her to poke back with.
The worst are pokes with pushback. If they have pushback your D1 and D3 become useless on block because they won't reach. It forces you to basically walk backwards and reset neutral instead, where you lose. It's like you're anti-rewarded for blocking a poke.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Definitely doesn't stop from being a great character I agree. But it does HELP make a character great if they're that kind of chararacter. A lot of characters are great in different ways.

The-Bizzle

You alright mate ?
Kung Lao can't teleport at all really without getting punished. But when Jacqui is in the corner against him. It's hard to get out imo. Some of his staggerable strings Jacqui can poke back against.
True, only with a hard knockdown its hard to get out of the corner. Not Jacqui only, but more characters because of his armor break punches and hat spin. But Kung Lao is fucked up in the air ( Up missile's Full Auto ). Jacqui is almost plus on everythig so you can put up a good pressure game and zone Kung Lao out.