What's new

Video/Tutorial Raven Mini Vortex

First off, thanks to Zyphox for helping me record them. My recorder recently broke, so I have no means of uploading any video content now.

Raven Vortex:

This can only be done in Demon Mode, with 1 bar of meter. I would not recommend using this method off a naked EX Singularity; unless you don't wish for the opponent to clash.
This is much more ideal within a combo.

How it works.
The Ex Singularity allows the opponent to stand again, usually taking about 30-35% already depending on the combo started. You do not want to attack right when they hit the floor, but you want to make sure you take notes of how long EX Singularity lasts. You want to input your attack before EX Sing wears off, so that they are forced to block.

I like holding F3 (overhead) and either follow through with it, dash cancel into low, dash cancel into grab, dash cancel into canceled into ff2 overhead, or hold it an armor in case they decide to armor back. You can also 223 to leave you at +6 should it be blocked. Maybe you guys can come up with new traps or setups too :)
You don't want to attack to early to where your hits continue the combo, but you also don't want to attack too late to where your opponent can escape.
You want to time your attack to give little to no frames of escaping if done precisely.

Hidden Attack
This really isn't new, but many people still don't know that in Demon Stance, Raven can DF1U to Full screen Pillar.

Anti Poke/Whiffed restricted Ranged Normals Setup (Like Kitana's F21 :D)

The video (thanks to Zyphox for recording) shows in this order
1. Hidden Move
2. Vortex
3. Whiff/ Anti poke setup

Sami

Noob
Nice find. Out of interest though, can the opponent just back-dash out of the setup when they land? Invincibility frames and all that...

edit: of course, even if they can it still adds to the vortex game as back-dash should be punishable the moment those frames end.

Nice find. Out of interest though, can the opponent just back-dash out of the setup when they land? Invincibility frames and all that...

edit: of course, even if they can it still adds to the vortex game as back-dash should be punishable the moment those frames end.
If you misjudge when the Claw let goes of them, they probably can, but if you follow through on point , they can't. It's very strict, I still mess it up. I haven't had someone back dash though.

Sami

Noob
If you misjudge when the Claw let goes of them, they probably can, but if you follow through on point , they can't. It's very strict, I still mess it up. I haven't had someone back dash though.
Sweet. I didn't know if there are any recovery frames from landing (either for dashing or blocking). Going to try and test the blocking one tonight to see if this vortex can become a (probably just-frame) reset.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
Good stuff and nice vid. I've been using setups like this, even without demon mode I space my combos to make them land where I can pressure with D3 and F3. However the one thing about this "vortex" is that it is easily blown up by anyone with a good reversal such as deathstroke or killer frost. It works well on characters with bad wake-ups such as Raven.

Good stuff and nice vid. I've been using setups like this, even without demon mode I space my combos to make them land where I can pressure with D3 and F3. However the one thing about this "vortex" is that it is easily blown up by anyone with a good reversal such as deathstroke or killer frost. It works well on characters with bad wake-ups such as Raven.
Yeah, they can't right on frame, but Killer Frost's doesn't parry low attacks, and I don't think it parries overheads either. Batman is the only one that might be a problem, but you can bait his parry and punish.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
Killer frost can wake-up slide, it gets enough invincibility to punish which is pretty BS for a safe combo starting move. If you get end a combo close with DB2 immediately hits as meatie as possible, but in training mode KF wakeup slide was still able to punish. You have to MB for armor against her :(

This is great n all, but what do you do when you actually hit either the overhead/low options? I get that Raven is gonna be laming out to build the meter for it, but EX singularity into Forward + 3 dash cancel into Back 1,2 xx EX singularity seems kinda....wasteful >_>(and the combo I'm doing off that is dealing around 35%) And if you follow through with the Forward 3, she's not getting huge damage off it, since Back 3 doesn't wallbounce when using this reset (doing 37%, ending in a hard knockdown for potential mixup on their wakeup). None of the options seem worth the resources spent, compared to Shazam's vortex, which only has him spending one meter for the command grab meter burn/always leaves him in the perfect position for another scoop/annihilates the opponents health bar in a few reps.

EDIT: disregard all of that, was only doing the options after the initial EX Singularity, not comboing into it lol >_>. It still kinda sucks how it loses to characters with good reversals, I guess this is kinda like the Haggar corner reset thats inescaple unless you have air mobility in UMvC3.

Sami

Noob
Yep it won't be usable against the entire cast, but knowing it for certain match-ups could be a game winner.

edit: are you sure you won't get full pop-up/wall-bounce from d or f3? If it's a proper reset then everything should reset, including the gravity (assuming you don't hit them too early and continue the previous combo).

Killer frost can wake-up slide, it gets enough invincibility to punish which is pretty BS for a safe combo starting move. If you get end a combo close with DB2 immediately hits as meatie as possible, but in training mode KF wakeup slide was still able to punish. You have to MB for armor against her :(
There is no knockdown, so there is no wakeup.
It keeps them standing.

Wake up would be after a knockdown, in which Raven's setup NEVER does.
She would not have full invincibility, and her slide is 21 frames startup.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
Ah! Gotcha I couldn't tell from the video but that seems a lot more interesting. I got to test different reversal options against this.

Updated Original Post with a condensed, all in one video showing all 3 Tech in HD.
As Better quality video was requested by many Via PM's, thread, twitter, etc, here it is.

thanks to Espio again
Also, thanks to Zyphox

Obanye
This should be clearer