What's new

General/Other Raven for Dummies

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and fighting games, in general really. I absolutely love DC, and have played a ton of DCUO :D. Anyway, I'm trying to pick up Raven because I'm a 1990s Teen Titans fan-and I absolutely love Demon Stance. I had a few questions, after browsing some of the threads here.

For a new player, can anyone give me some insight into some of Raven's best go-tos in the following situations? I am working on my execution, and played a little SF4 and Marvel, so I'm not completely terrible. I keep reading that combos are the least important part to learning a character, so I'm trying to focus on situational stuff instead. That said, after playing online and getting dominated alot, I kept wondering these things.

What combo starter should I use as a punisher? D1 is 6f I read, is that pretty go-to?

What combo strings are relatively safe? Should I DAC her db2 and df2's, or hit-confirm? Are either safe?

What should I do for wake-ups? I read Raven is weak here, and I personally am just terrible at wake-ups, so any advice would be appreciated!

And, in general, should Raven be played more as a zoner? I'm more interested in playing her and NW because I just like the characters themselves, so it's not a selling point, I just want to know the general mindset I should have. Does her anti-zoning strength lie in her Trait and her ability to absorb projectiles?

Just gotta say I'm really impressed by the Raven community, you guys sound awesome. Appreciate any and all advice.

D1 into Ex Lift or Standing 1 into EX lift

Attacks that push them away, such as aquamans scoop, use f2 (2 hits) ex lift.

EVERY single string, and normal Raven has is safe (-5) or less. Her sweep says it is unsafe, but it is -5 at best.
Her unsafeness comes from her special moves.

For wake ups, use teleport or lift, do not use her soul crush, it is -20 and terrible. Use it to avoid setups such as greenarrows super or interactables.

She should be played as an Anti Zoner and sit on the life lead when she can.
Also, check out my Raven Vortex Thread.
Need help, just ask.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/raven-mini-vortex.31279/

Owerbart

I miss you
longstreet Glad you picked Raven :)

I'll agree with Mr. Mileena and say Raven has pretty much all her strings as safe. 223 Is good, on block will leave you at +6, but you have a huge gap between 22-3 that can lead to serious punishes. F13 is also a nice string, but the diamond has to be d1->exlift. D1 not only is a 6f combo starter but also lowers raven hitbox so some mid attacks will even whiff against it.
B23 is an excellent string to end combos if cancelled into demon stance. Pretty much puts you full screen in demon mode. Practice your Negative Masses inputs, so they appear the place you want them to appear.
You won't be able to zone anyone with your shadow crow, because it can be ducked. But it's great for meter building and if blocked at a relative long distance you can get a Df2 frametrap.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies guys! A few more quick questions.

When should I be using Lift and Soul Crush? Is Soul Crush a good anti air? Should I ever throw it out without cancelling into it?

Use soul crush to supplement your full screen [really 7 /8 screen] zoning. You can also use it as footie range as a sort of counter poke but be careful it can be punished .

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
Soul Crush is kind of a "projectile punish" if you will. Depends on the matchup but you can block someones projectile and then soul crush straight away for a "reversal" (It will say reversal on the screen if done correctly).

Spacing is important. try to keep the enemy in front and far away, setting up soul crush annoyance and sit back and enjoy the tears...

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I personally learn BnBs/combos first. So I know generally a good punish and what not not. That's just me though lol.

Her trait is her biggest asset imo. As said above, practice nailing her pillars accurately. They're neutral on block and a Soul Crush right after is unavoidable. (I think) Her lift (Singularity) can also catch them if they try and dash, and is only -2 (in Demon Stance).

As already stated, Raven is more of a Anti-Zoner/Zoner. She doesn't have that much up close options. (As far as I know)

Hope this helps, though I kinda think I just repeated what everyone else said...

I personally learn BnBs/combos first. So I know generally a good punish and what not not. That's just me though lol.

Her trait is her biggest asset imo. As said above, practice nailing her pillars accurately. They're neutral on block and a Soul Crush right after is unavoidable. (I think) Her lift (Singularity) can also catch them if they try and dash, and is only -2 (in Demon Stance).

As already stated, Raven is more of a Anti-Zoner/Zoner. She doesn't have that much up close options. (As far as I know)

Hope this helps, though I kinda think I just repeated what everyone else said...

Isn't it -6 ?

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
Thanks for the replies guys! A few more quick questions.

When should I be using Lift and Soul Crush? Is Soul Crush a good anti air? Should I ever throw it out without cancelling into it?

Soul Crush is a good AA as long as your opponent isn't too high up in the air.
This character requires a lot of training, at least for me. I put a lot of lab time in with her and I can't use her as well as my Killer Frost that I picked up 3 days ago... Good luck with her!