What's new

(Rant warning) Balance issues

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
I think people who are sore at Subzero's 50/50 really should be mad at the amplified ice ball. Unreactable overhead is of course horseshit, but at least if they have Rising Ice you can breaker out of it. Overhead into amp ice ball is guaranteed damage.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Since these comments have nothing to do with the topic at and why doesn't a moderator just remove all of them...
My well-written, educative post should stay up.

Anyways... back to the topic. Can we talk about how unfair and stupid the amount of slots some move get? Like Spawn’s charge and Sindel’s haircut move? For spawn I can understand, but for Sindel it doesn’t make sense. It should be one slot. Speaking of Sindel, I hope they fix her F2.

Espio

Kokomo
On topic of the thread, I really like Kitana and I think the fixation on Back 2 as a string is unfortunate. I still think Back 1,4,2 is her actual best string, not that string but that's just me. I enjoy her customs and the fact you can alter your jump arc like three times with the build I use.

She's not broke or anything, but I think choosing to utilize riskier options when you don't have to is a mistake. It's like Jade's back 2 if you use it inappropriately you're gonna get punished but if you use it for its intended function you tend to have great success. Every tool has to be contextualized.

if I hate on Jade do I also get banned? @Espio (pls don’t ban me)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on characters even if it's tragically misinformed :p.

Onryoki

On topic of the thread, I really like Kitana and I think the fixation on Back 2 as a string is unfortunate. I still think Back 1,4,2 is her actual best string, not that string but that's just me. I enjoy her customs and the fact you can alter your jump arc like three times with the build I use.

She's not broke or anything, but I think choosing to utilize riskier options when you don't have to is a mistake. It's like Jade's back 2 if you use it inappropriately you're gonna get punished but if you use it for its intended function you tend to have great success. Every tool has to be contextualized.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on characters even if it's tragically misinformed :p.

View attachment 17898
I love Jade lmao, she, Tanya and Kronika are my favourite female characters in the whole series.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Shao Kahn is at the bottom of the list I'm sorry but that's just the way things are however that does not make him a hopeless character

Now I'm not saying if they were to make F2 a mid I wouldn't be happy

Agilaz

It has begun
With UMK it's very clear NRS just decided that balancing is no longer a concern.

Its actually funny, cause the new DLC characters came pre-balanced with customs in mind. The rest of the roster is yolo stupid now, for the most part

Pyrosis

Shao Kahn is at the bottom of the list I'm sorry but that's just the way things are however that does not make him a hopeless character

Now I'm not saying if they were to make F2 a mid I wouldn't be happy
No one said he was hopeless. But let's not pretend that he doesn't need a couple buffs to be more consistent. Right now for him to be effective you have to play to maximize every stray hit you land with neutral and strike/throw because it's so rare for him to a solid combo on opponents with decent defense. Skewered and Shoulder Charger is a necessity to ensure he gets his damage in or builds his spear KB. There may be another that I'm not thinking of atm, but I cant really off the top of my head think of another character that's so bad a opening the opponent up that this is their gameplan to winning.

Shao has to play waiting for the opponent committing to punishable whiffs or abuse his F4 as much as possible to get in a strike/throw, get in his damage/KB build when he finally gets a hit or lose, or just depend on absolute gimmicks to get damage.

IMO, Shao Kahn in his current state only functions in line with the rest of the cast if my speculation about his design is correct and F3,4 was originally a gapless string. I firmly believe that he was meant to hinge off of imposing your pressure with plus frames off of F4, 4,4(Its fine this has a gap) and S1 with the added option of going after a strike/throw mix with a gapless F3,4 into completing the string for a throw/shoulder charger. I'm not sure what would cause this change in design since if he had this option it's still not even that powerful of a mix. Throw or shoulder charger is still easy to guard against, the added gap in F3,4 is just overkill for this string and makes it completely dead against a competent opponent.

The only evidence that I can think of for huge flawless blockable gap F3,4 being the original intentional design is F3 being called "Shao Shimmy", as if you're meant to stagger F3 and catch people out trying to flawless block the full string but like... this is just silly to me. Using a -8 on block mid to stagger with only works against players with bad defense or are just like.. not mashing. Committing to a strike/throw after a F3 is also a gigantic risk and loses to every character with and even decent jab (basically everyone) so I'm really not sure what the point is in calling this fucking normal "Shao Shimmy"...

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
No one said he was hopeless. But let's not pretend that he doesn't need a couple buffs to be more consistent. Right now for him to be effective you have to play to maximize every stray hit you land with neutral and strike/throw because it's so rare for him to a solid combo on opponents with decent defense. Skewered and Shoulder Charger is a necessity to ensure he gets his damage in or builds his spear KB. There may be another that I'm not thinking of atm, but I cant really off the top of my head think of another character that's so bad a opening the opponent up that this is their gameplan to winning.

Shao has to play waiting for the opponent committing to punishable whiffs or abuse his F4 as much as possible to get in a strike/throw, get in his damage/KB build when he finally gets a hit or lose, or just depend on absolute gimmicks to get damage.

IMO, Shao Kahn in his current state only functions in line with the rest of the cast if my speculation about his design is correct and F3,4 was originally a gapless string. I firmly believe that he was meant to hinge off of imposing your pressure with plus frames off of F4, 4,4(Its fine this has a gap) and S1 with the added option of going after a strike/throw mix with a gapless F3,4 into completing the string for a throw/shoulder charger. I'm not sure what would cause this change in design since if he had this option it's still not even that powerful of a mix. Throw or shoulder charger is still easy to guard against, the added gap in F3,4 is just overkill for this string and makes it completely dead against a competent opponent.

The only evidence that I can think of for huge flawless blockable gap F3,4 being the original intentional design is F3 being called "Shao Shimmy", as if you're meant to stagger F3 and catch people out trying to flawless block the full string but like... this is just silly to me. Using a -8 on block mid to stagger with only works against players with bad defense or are just like.. not mashing. Committing to a strike/throw after a F3 is also a gigantic risk and loses to every character with and even decent jab (basically everyone) so I'm really not sure what the point is in calling this fucking normal "Shao Shimmy"...
agreed

Just when the focus of the game was balance? It has been almost 2 years since its launch and as older I get, as more experience I get, as a guy who plays fighting games since 6 years old, it is pretty clear to me that this game is awesome to play with your friends and have some fun, laugh, play arcade, history....but balance? Sorry....people who compete in a mess like this either get money from it or are just passionate.

Pyrosis

Just because you've played fighting games for a long time doesn't mean you're an authority on what is balance within them... It's just as easy for anyone to say that they've played MK series for a long time and this is probably the most balanced MK game yet released, despite it having a couple glaring sore spots the level of balance among the roster is pretty in line. Like... just say you have an opinion on the game like the rest of us instead of making some random appeal to authority argument. Anyone who insists that MK11 is less balanced than previous entries in the series is definitely fooling themselves.

Insisting that MK11 isn't an honest effort at creating a MK game that's even capable of being traditionally balanced like other fighting games is likewise just being intentionally argumentative... Anyone can see that jump in game design from MKX to 11, and the effort to create a game that has varied playstyles but relative balance. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at something like Acidic Alien in MKX and think that any character release in MK11 has even come close to that degree of just straight up imbalanced nonsense, for example.

MK11. Not perfect. But so far the most balanced MK game to date and tbh it's not even close.

Just because you've played fighting games for a long time doesn't mean you're an authority on what is balance within them... It's just as easy for anyone to say that they've played MK series for a long time and this is probably the most balanced MK game yet released, despite it having a couple glaring sore spots the level of balance among the roster is pretty in line. Like... just say you have an opinion on the game like the rest of us instead of making some random appeal to authority argument. Anyone who insists that MK11 is less balanced than previous entries in the series is definitely fooling themselves.

Insisting that MK11 isn't an honest effort at creating a MK game that's even capable of being traditionally balanced like other fighting games is likewise just being intentionally argumentative... Anyone can see that jump in game design from MKX to 11, and the effort to create a game that has varied playstyles but relative balance. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at something like Acidic Alien in MKX and think that any character release in MK11 has even come close to that degree of just straight up imbalanced nonsense, for example.

MK11. Not perfect. But so far the most balanced MK game to date and tbh it's not even close.
  • KABAL
  • JACCQUI
  • CETRION
  • SUB
  • SPAWN
  • PLUS FRAMES ON BLOCK IS NEVER YOUR TURN
  • FATAL BLOW STARTUP AND ANIMATIONS
  • FATAL BLOWS ON BLOCK
  • NO ANTI AIRS
  • THE DAMAGE
  • RANDOM CB
  • CB ON GRAB
  • GUESS THE SIDE OF THE GRAB
  • D2 CB
  • CETRION AGAIN
  • KABAL AGAIN
  • KANO GASOLINE
  • PLUS FRAMES....IT IS NEVER YOUR TURN....
repeat this louder, looking at the mirror, and conclude saying that mk11 is balanced.

Onryoki

• KABAL
  • JACCQUI
  • CETRION
  • SUB
  • SPAWN
  • FATAL BLOWS ON BLOCK
  • NO ANTI AIRS
  • THE DAMAGE
  • RANDOM CB
  • CB ON GRAB
  • D2 CB
  • CETRION AGAIN
  • KABAL AGAIN
  • KANO GASOLINE
repeat this louder, looking at the mirror, and conclude saying that mk11 is balanced.
Just from this post alone I already know you suck at the game and come here to whine and finger point about how awful and unbalanced the game is, instead of looking at yourself. I don’t particularly like every mechanic/character of the game either, but crying about how cheap they are 24/7 won’t change anything. This is what it is as of right now and you just have to work with what you got. Maybe you should put the time you’re complaining about the game/characters into training, so you learn a thing or two.

Pyrosis

• KABAL
  • JACCQUI
  • CETRION
  • SUB
  • SPAWN
  • FATAL BLOWS ON BLOCK
  • NO ANTI AIRS
  • THE DAMAGE
  • RANDOM CB
  • CB ON GRAB
  • D2 CB
  • CETRION AGAIN
  • KABAL AGAIN
  • KANO GASOLINE
I would say a good more than half of the things you listed here is not balance issues. Like... at all. Just things that you're bad at defending against or implementing into your own game play.

Even if every bullet in this list was a legitimate imbalance in MK11, and you could even think of a couple more, it would still make MK11 the most balanced MK game to date... which I think is where you've misconstrued what I'm saying:

MK11 PERFECTLY BALANCED IN ALL ASPECTS? NO

MK11 THE MOST BALANCED MK GAME SO FAR? YES

Hope this clarifies.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
to ppl still crying about komittal strings, hope ya'll enjoy lmao.

I forgot to mention, if you duck Lao's string he dies.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Idk if it’s a balance issue the way it’s meant in OP, but I really hope they do another pass on some of these custom moves. I haven’t dived into ever character in the roster, but it seems like so many characters have 1 or 2 moves that are just gutter trash that nobody trying to win will ever pick. Stuff like Frost Core Overload, Kitana Edenian Fade, whatever that pitiful ass reflect Jade has is called, etc.

Gaxkang

Banned
to ppl still crying about komittal strings, hope ya'll enjoy lmao.

I forgot to mention, if you duck Lao's string he dies.
So like that on that Kitana string, which Kitanas tend to do quite a bit of...you're supposed to jump after guessing she will do it? Eh.

The vid just kinda illustrates to me you don't typically want to be defense really.

And losing a turn may not mean much....and can possibly be stolen back anyways.

Gaxkang

Banned
I would say a good more than half of the things you listed here is not balance issues. Like... at all. Just things that you're bad at defending against or implementing into your own game play.

Even if every bullet in this list was a legitimate imbalance in MK11, and you could even think of a couple more, it would still make MK11 the most balanced MK game to date... which I think is where you've misconstrued what I'm saying:

MK11 PERFECTLY BALANCED IN ALL ASPECTS? NO

MK11 THE MOST BALANCED MK GAME SO FAR? YES

Hope this clarifies.
Seemed like a pretty good list to me. :D

If one says it's the most balanced MK yet....it still means NRS is still coming up rather short.

They got a long ways to go, if they really would try.

NRS ball l
Just from this post alone I already know you suck at the game and come here to whine and finger point about how awful and unbalanced the game is, instead of looking at yourself. I don’t particularly like every mechanic/character of the game either, but crying about how cheap they are 24/7 won’t change anything. This is what it is as of right now and you just have to work with what you got. Maybe you should put the time you’re complaining about the game/characters into training, so you learn a thing or two.
Well, that is not what poeple who play me say.

NRS kids will never give up....nothing new here.