What's new

(Rant warning) Balance issues

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Not sure why my comment was deleted from this thread, but I'll phrase it with less snark.

Steph is going out of her way to be patient and polite here. If someone came up to me and said "every time I put my hand on the stove I get burned. Please fix the stove so this stops happening" especially when I'm not the one who builds the stoves, I don't think I could be half as kind as she was.

The implication that this exchange shows how unreasonable the NRS staff are and how little they care or listen to the community is laughable. This is a person going out of their way, on their own personal social media channel, to respond to an issue with good advice and more restraint than is deserved.

Something like this should be filed under basic match up knowledge. "Hey, this character's wake up leaves them in an airborne state. I shouldn't try to punish it with the string that requires a full dial-in commitment and will leave me wiffing, I should use something else."

I don't like to be one of those people who just says "git gud" to every complaint, but it's justified in this case. Stop doing the thing that is losing you matches instead of begging QA on Twitter to magically fix it for you.

As far as overall balance is concerned, I do not believe the central focus of the most recent patch was balance. A subsequent balance patch is likely to be released at a later time to fix any unbalanced and underwhelming custom moves.
Kind of surprised no one even mentioned dead kustom moves on the last podcast. Was no one else’s expectations raised by that showcase on the Mileena Kombat Kast of the buffs to Raiden’s Superbolt kustom? I totally thought they were implying changes across the roster. My only hope is that they don’t take 7 months this time.

Lol here goes nothing.... I don’t see how a character with a great wavedash, great d2, great U3, best sweep in the game, extra health, mid-hitting projectile, braindead armor breakers and who can now easily hitconfirm jail from both d1 and d3 into a +4 jab is trash. Also is everyone really flawless block punishing the f34 gap online? Shao is not bottom tier anymore guys... pls don’t pillory me

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
Every time I see someone asking for a character to be buffed that isn't Shao Kahn I slip further and further to the Dark Side.

Kind of surprised no one even mentioned dead kustom moves on the last podcast. Was no one else’s expectations raised by that showcase on the Mileena Kombat Kast of the buffs to Raiden’s Superbolt kustom? I totally thought they were implying changes across the roster. My only hope is that they don’t take 7 months this time.
People are thinking they balanced the general gameplay before the characters to prevent something crazy from happening.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
As a Kitana player, here are my 2 cents: No she doesn't need buffs LMAO. Buff YOUR neutral.

I went back to Kitana after playing Mileena since she released and damn, it's nice to have good advancing strings you can stagger lmao. And a great meaty. And meterless launcher with tons of easy KBs. And a great armor breaker you can now mix and match with your fave moves.

I mean, let's be honest, if your neutral sucks, it's going to be rough. But that's with any character.

DarkSado

Noob
As a Kitana player, here are my 2 cents: No she doesn't need buffs LMAO. Buff YOUR neutral.

I went back to Kitana after playing Mileena since she released and damn, it's nice to have good advancing strings you can stagger lmao. And a great meaty. And meterless launcher with tons of easy KBs. And a great armor breaker you can now mix and match with your fave moves.

I mean, let's be honest, if your neutral sucks, it's going to be rough. But that's with any character.
" Buff YOUR neutral" What fighting game player talk like this LMAO!

gitblame

Noob
I hit countless B231 on airborne players and I got punished every time. Yeah I am always mumbling to myself right afterwards that game sucks and it shouldn't be like this but when salt leaves my veins I can admit I was stupid to just throw that button knowing I am risking getting punished.
Now it's way better because D4 is +20 on hit and I can actually make ppl respect B231 coming on hit so it's not that big issue for me now.

Last edited:
Kitana's power level isn't lacking, and my main grievance with her treatment is that they just went 'hey, here is a pile of damage for your meterless launcher' a few patches back, and people praised how this fixes everything about Kitana...

No, my personal issue is that she feels clunky and awkward, which doesn't fit my idea of her. But then, Frost and Sub-Zero have completely wrong movesets for their personalities and they would fit much better if they switched them, but... you either make your peace with such a core issue or just play someone else.

Last edited:
Its always the fanbases of the same few characters that whine the most. I'm surprised Stephanie even wasted her time with you on this.

Oh and Kitana has been nothing but buffed with every patch. Yet, her fans always seem to cry the hardest.
been that way since MKX they cried& moaned until she was buffed to ridiculous levels in that game

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I haven't seen a Jacqui in Top 8 (or even Top 16, really) or top player exhibitions since the patch. We ran a tournament the week before with customs already unlocked, and Jacqui was nowhere to be found there either. Most good players have either dropped her, or just aren't getting anywhere with her right now.

Jueks seems like he quit the game (at least temporarily), Rewind moved on to Liu, Semij is playing Mileena and Cassie. Not sure about this increase in Jacqui play.
Well I mean, yeah. With customs people are gonna try other characters for a while cause now their favorites have access to new moves. Let's not act like Jacqui couldn't make a top 8 in customs lmao

Also in liga latina pro tour thing that just happened, goo graded jacqui was everywhere.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Well I mean, yeah. With customs people are gonna try other characters for a while cause now their favorites have access to new moves. Let's not act like Jacqui couldn't make a top 8 in customs lmao

Also in liga latina pro tour thing that just happened, goo graded jacqui was everywhere.
Just noting that for whatever reason the actual top players have been playing her less and less, even before the patch.

I don’t think that’s the same as a statement that a character can’t make top 8. For example, Cetrion is really good, but you’ll almost never see a Top 8 with a bunch of people playing Cetrion. Or Joker. But you will always see Liu Kang, etc.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Kitana's power level isn't lacking, and my main grievance with her treatment is that they just went 'hey, here is a pile of damage for your meterless launcher' a few patches back, and people praised how this fixes everything about Kitana...

No, my personal issue is that she feels clunky and awkward, which doesn't fit my idea of her. But then, Frost and Sub-Zero have completely wrong movesets for their personalities and they would fit much better if they switched them, but... you either make your peace with such a core issue or just play someone else.
Omg you are absolutely right about frost and sub zero. Can we switch these movesets please?

How am I gonna have fun playing frost but hate her as a character??? This shit is just wrong.

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
Omg you are absolutely right about frost and sub zero. Can we switch these movesets please?

How am I gonna have fun playing frost but hate her as a character??? This shit is just wrong.
Subzero should definitely take his own head off and throw it as a bomb