What's new

Ranking System for Online Matches?

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
We ALREADY don´t know how variations work in rankeds..... There´s so much things NRS need to clarify about competitive play :mad:
From the last kombat last it sounds like they might take the injustice approach with just a base used for competitive play and all the abilities just for casual modes, they referred to Johnny cage’s “base” or “default” moveset a few times. Would suck if this is the case but it’s my best guess for now

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
We ALREADY don´t know how variations work in rankeds..... There´s so much things NRS need to clarify about competitive play :mad:
That's a very good point. I hope that won't hinder them to considering putting a ranked system in there.

Though we have to think that this is information we don't have because they haven't talked about it yet, which is freaking ridiculous considering the Beta is going live in 3 weeks. It doesn't mean that they didn't figure this stuff out already and are just waiting to announce it.

Rizz091

Noob
IMO a ranking system really does something for the longevity of a fighting game too.

There are so many people that I know that literally grind online just to get through that next threshold.

For NRS games of the past though?
There is no goal to playing ranked except reaching somewhere different in the leaderboards.
Yeah, it's fun, to a point, but only a few hundred of us enjoy that thrill of the climb.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.
I WANT THIS SO BADLY NRS!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

I'd feel like such shit if we get the beta and we enter ranked and it's the same old shit with just WINS/LOSSES. I'd be deflated so badly.
Omg can't agree more. I always hated the display of wins and losses, especially for player matches. What if I'm grinding a match up with a friend and I'm losing a ton but improving, or vica versa ? And even in ranked, you may have lost a ton in the beginning, but have improved so much since, that those old losses no longest matter.

That's why a rank in a ranking system is just such a better indicator of your skill in that very moment.

SindelQueen

Sindels gay husband
You won't get matches with people that are leagues below you, but you also won't get matches with players that are leagues above you.

Being equally matched with someone makes the best and most intense fights. Not to mention you can learn a lot from player players that are of your skill level, especially if you watch your replays and see what you did good and what you did wrong.

Inversely, you also learn a lot when you fight against players that are a league or two above you. You have to learn how to adapt to their playstyle and counter them and it's always really satisfying when you finally beat them.

You grow with your character as you rank up and, you learn and develop a strategy on how to use them effectively. And sure, that happens without ranks, but then again you won't get those matches where you get destroyed and feel discouraged or play easy matches that can also have the same effect.

I don't think NRS talked about this at all, but what do you guys think about this?

ex:
Steel
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Ruby
Sapphire
Jade
Diamond
I disagree . I like fighting people better than me and I learn way more. Fighting someone one the same level as you is just not as fun

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I disagree . I like fighting people better than me and I learn way more. Fighting someone one the same level as you is just not as fun
Right, but I addressed that as well. Ranking systems will make you fight players right at your level or a bit better than you and that's how you really learn without getting discouraged from getting bodied.

Of course, you'll learn even with the system NRS always has, but I feel like with rankings learning is way more organic and it's a constant growth whereas without rankings sometimes it feels like you hit a plateau and that's when a lot of players try new characters or put online aside for a while.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
So Tekken? Lol.

In Tekken you select your character before the match making, dont know who you face until after it links, and each character ranks up individually. But it also takes your overall skill into account because say your best Character is level 15Dan. All of your "worst" characters (ones you never even played) get defaulted to level 10, since your skill level would be too strong with a 2 week character vs someone at Level 5. That's a spitball of the numbers involved, but that's how it works.

If MK can expand on that, rename the ranks MK related (say Elder God is the top rank for elites), and add some extra perks it would be the ideal scenario. Most games have some sort of ranking system but NRS is in a prime position to reset the market here.
This 100%. Being placed in a rank tier gives me so much more motivation to really climb out and improve my game. Being another number on a leaderboard and told that I have 20% chance to beat someone just doesn't mean much IMO.

And because we have all these customization options with items and shaders, i'd like to see them adopt seasons with rewards such as a Golden equipment you can only get from the ranked mode. (overwatch does something like this)

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
This 100%. Being placed in a rank tier gives me so much more motivation to really climb out and improve my game. Being another number on a leaderboard and told that I have 20% chance to beat someone just doesn't mean much IMO.

And because we have all these customization options with items and shaders, i'd like to see them adopt seasons with rewards such as a Golden equipment you can only get from the ranked mode. (overwatch does something like this)
I feel like seeing your win percentage does play a lot on us psychologically. Like, if we see a number under 30% we'll automatically think 'well I don't have a chance in hell to win!' Whereas if you see a rank higher above you, you'll be most likely think something closer to 'this is a good learning opportunity'.

That would be amazing! They could honestly do so much with rankings.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage

I'm all about the idea of rank-locked skins.

I just hope that it doesn't encourage boosting in any form. Games like Street Fighter are pretty good when it comes to their anti-boost rules because they have a replay system that let's you see past matches too.

Judging by the fact that this would NRS's first go at a real ranking system, I don't want it to be a complete boost fest (Tekken6 had this problem online in a big way too).

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Why don't introduce a ranking system, where you can win 1-2 points per win and lose 50-100 points per loss?

That would be great

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I feel like seeing your win percentage does play a lot on us psychologically. Like, if we see a number under 30% we'll automatically think 'well I don't have a chance in hell to win!' Whereas if you see a rank higher above you, you'll be most likely think something closer to 'this is a good learning opportunity'.

That would be amazing! They could honestly do so much with rankings.
Definitely, seeing that you have a 25% chance to win against someone who is 600/400, is a bit more demoralizing than being gold facing plat. Also the latter gives you a chance to prove you can get to, and belong in the higher rank if you win.

I'm all about the idea of rank-locked skins.

I just hope that it doesn't encourage boosting in any form. Games like Street Fighter are pretty good when it comes to their anti-boost rules because they have a replay system that let's you see past matches too.

Judging by the fact that this would NRS's first go at a real ranking system, I don't want it to be a complete boost fest (Tekken6 had this problem online in a big way too).
True, that would be on NRS's implementation. They already had replay's in MKX so they'd just need to bridge that gap to hopefully prevent it. I'm worried they won't have a good Rage quitting system.

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
I would honestly love if they implemented this. I have voiced my opinion on this in the past two games a multitude of times. I honestly think they need to make the lifespan of each game longer by introducing seasons, adding more skins, gear pieces etc. If capcom can do it I don't see why NRS can't.

Increase game life expectancy instead of working on the next game while a new game comes out lol. This helps the game from becoming too bland and having a community melt down and crying for injustice 3 IMO.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You won't get matches with people that are leagues below you, but you also won't get matches with players that are leagues above you.

Being equally matched with someone makes the best and most intense fights. Not to mention you can learn a lot from player players that are of your skill level, especially if you watch your replays and see what you did good and what you did wrong.

Inversely, you also learn a lot when you fight against players that are a league or two above you. You have to learn how to adapt to their playstyle and counter them and it's always really satisfying when you finally beat them.

You grow with your character as you rank up and, you learn and develop a strategy on how to use them effectively. And sure, that happens without ranks, but then again you won't get those matches where you get destroyed and feel discouraged or play easy matches that can also have the same effect.

I don't think NRS talked about this at all, but what do you guys think about this?

ex:
Steel
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Ruby
Sapphire
Jade
Diamond
Points systems make people not want to fight others who do not yield them points so unless that will be solved I see no good in it.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Points systems make people not want to fight others who do not yield them points so unless that will be solved I see no good in it.
In ranked for both Tekken and SF you can't decline a match so you won't have any say if you want to fight the person or not. If the ranks are similar and the ranking system pairs you up, then you have no choice unless you want to quit and lose points.

For casual matches there shouldn't be points rewarded at all, even with the ranking system in place.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
In ranked for both Tekken and SF you can't decline a match so you won't have any say if you want to fight the person or not. If the ranks are similar and the ranking system pairs you up, then you have no choice unless you want to quit and lose points.

For casual matches there shouldn't be points rewarded at all, even with the ranking system in place.
I wasn't talking about declining, I'm talking about rematching or even adding a person who's worse at the game to help them grow by beating the living fuck out of them repeatedly.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I wasn't talking about declining, I'm talking about rematching or even adding a person who's worse at the game to help them grow by beating the living fuck out of them repeatedly.
You won't need to help someone grow by beating the living fuck out of them repeatedly, if they can just learn at their own pace by playing people at their own skill level instead.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I'd love it if you were to pick your character before entering matchmaking, and having matchmaking take into account your skill/experience with said character.

I hardly get the chance to use my newer, inexperienced characters in MKX because of the record I built with my comfy characters. Get matched with killers 75% of the time, and the other 25% decline because they see my record. Like jesus I just want to practice my two week old Torr. Shouldn't be this difficult.

Edit: Forgot to mention hidey/smurf accounts. I love taking one of my newer characters against a 75/100 Cassie that ends up playing like SonicFox's. Good times.
Plus the people who instantly teabag you and leave after one game just because they beat your 3 days old character. Happens way too often in player matches.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I'm against this only because of the cancer that was Killer Instinct and SFV with ranked. Someone is losing? They pull the plug or turn off their console causing me to lose points/rank.

I think there being no ranking system makes online scrubs less likely to rage quit.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
You won't need to help someone grow by beating the living fuck out of them repeatedly, if they can just learn at their own pace by playing people at their own skill level instead.
Agreed.

I'm against this only because of the cancer that was Killer Instinct and SFV with ranked. Someone is losing? They pull the plug or turn off their console causing me to lose points/rank.

I think there being no ranking system makes online scrubs less likely to rage quit.
DOA6 has ranked and I've played nearly 100 matches so far and no one has done that. I mean, I'm sure some salty children do that, but why should we all be punished for those who can't take a loss? I've played Tekken 7 and SFV a lot too and I've rarely seen disconnects. They could just count disconnects as a loss and I would be fine with that.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That's how you develop bad habits and impede your own growth by thinking your gimmicks are legit, though.