Votes: 10 3.9%
  • 1 MK9 2 IGAU, too soon to judge MKX

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • 1 IGAU 2 MK9, too soon to judge MKX

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Those combos weren't fun and were barely viable half he time. How many times did u actually see a roomba combo done in game?
It was just x combo HKD throw interactable. Maybe high damage but dull dull dull
Erm... Remind me again how many times we saw Sub-Zero's 82% Toasty Boost combo or some random 150% tag combo. Most combo videos are just that - a video.

Lmao, maybe Day 1 those were the only combos.

Last edited:

Death

Noob
1) MKX: Probably the best and most fun game I've ever played. I just want to get better everyday with it.
2) MK9: First fighting game ever. It was pretty amazing imo but I didnt like P1 adv or input bug.
3) Injustice: Not a huge fan. Slow walk speeds felt like you couldnt play footsies well. Just was very slow. OP interactables on knockdown. I know this is a bad reason to not like it but I hated how small the characters looked. Its like I had to squint to see them. Felt very dull. Seemed like everyone had the same wall bounce combos. Just couldnt get into it.

Wigy

There it is...
Erm... Remind me again how many times we saw Sub-Zero's 82% Toasty Boost combo or some random 150% tag combo. Most combo videos are just that - a video.

Lmao, maybe Day 1 those were the only combos.
The main point is the combos that came out for injustice were boring and shit with a OTG interactable at the end. The MK9 ones were way more interesting.

Cyrax's combos (though OP) were tricky at times and hella swaggy. As were kabals NDC midscreen ones. Smoke resets were tricky and execution demanding and hella hype. SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE.. SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE... SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE... (reset)

I literally see no way you can argue the combo potential was better for injustice. Go look up the TYM joint mk9 combo compliation better than any stupid random rumba into bnb into otg for 484%

HeroesNZ

I literally see no way you can argue the combo potential was better for injustice.
wut? I never said Injustice had more combo potential. Of course MK9 has more combo potential, all I said was that Injustice had a lot of combo potential too.

Wigy

There it is...
wut? I never said Injustice had more combo potential. Of course MK9 has more combo potential, all I said was that Injustice had a lot of combo potential too.
You seemed to be arguing against my point that mk9 had the most combo potential the last couple comments..

HeroesNZ

Bruh
You know a big factor that made mk9 so much fun, the dash cancels allowed for some awesome combo potential. In injustice most of the combos are dull. Nothing has come close to TONYT and Check's MK9 stuff for either mkx or injustice.

Doesn't seem like a big deal but it added lots to the games fun and depth.
I disagree. True MK9 had a lot of combo potential but interactables also greatly increased the combo potential in Injustice. Some of the combos & setups in that game are insane.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I love MK9 because, design-wise, it's just straight-up unapologetic fun. The movesets are diverse, the characters are purely throwbacks, the gameplay is goofy (babalities, toasty boost, kombat kodes), the colors are vibrant, and the character designs are over-the-top. It was the game that Ed Boon never wanted to make, but was forced to because of Midway going bankrupt. The result was a game that people actually wanted.

MKX, by contrast, is muted and self-aware. It wants a seat at the table of most popular fighters by asking politely, not by showing up uninvited and throwing someone out of their chair. It doesn't want to be too sexy, it doesn't want to be too vibrant, it doesn't want to develop organically, it doesn't want to come across as silly, and it doesn't want to be perceived as scrubby. In short, MKX just tries way too hard and leaves us with a one-dimensional shell of a game that functions better as a sales platform than a competitive fighter.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I love MK9 because, design-wise, it's just straight-up unapologetic fun. The movesets are diverse, the characters are purely throwbacks, the gameplay is goofy (babalities, toasty boost, kombat kodes), the colors are vibrant, and the character designs are over-the-top. It was the game that Ed Boon never wanted to make, but was forced to because of Midway going bankrupt. The result was a game that people actually wanted.

MKX, by contrast, is muted and self-aware. It wants a seat at the table of most popular fighters by asking politely, not by showing up uninvited and throwing someone out of their chair. It doesn't want to be too sexy, it doesn't want to be too vibrant, it doesn't want to develop organically, it doesn't want to come across as silly, and it doesn't want to be perceived as scrubby. In short, MKX just tries way too hard and leaves us with a one-dimensional shell of a game that functions better as a sales platform than a competitive fighter.
I dunno. I vastly prefer the female character design of MK X to MK9.
They typically wear far more practical clothing than their MK9 counterparts, for the most part. Hair is better, too.

I was instantly hooked on mk9 and it grew on me even more.
I grew on Injustice.
I was instantly hooked on mkx but the more I play the worse it gets.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
MK9 -- Lovable cast of characters. Had a lot of the series favorites. Gameplay emphasized spacing, fine-grained movement with dash cancels, footsies, and pressure. You saw a lot of diff. character archetypes; Kitana played totally different from Cyrax, who was completely diff. from Lao, who was diff. from Smoke, who was diff from Jax, who was nothing like Kenshi, who was distinct from Johnny Cage etc.

Had major balance problems, lots of game engine and design issues, some serious bugs. Those 3 things kept the game from being all it could be.

Injustice -- Pushed the characater diversity even farther by branching out towards anime and hand-drawn-fighter-style archetypes. Crazy traits, flying characters, huge brawlers (Bane is really a brawler, not a grappler), etc. This left some people feeling like they didn't relate to the characters, but for those who liked the comic-book style it was a ton of fun. Despite the footsies being different from MK9, they were nevertheless very important, which is why players like Theo/Cowboy/Bit did well with characters like AM/Sinestro/CW.

The walk speed was controversial, and some very dominant characters spoiled the party in the end. People complained a lot about ending up in guessing-only situations. All kinds of wakeup reversal glitches, corner glitches, etc. added to this. Improved on MK9 in several ways, but the movement kept a lot of people from wanting to continue to play the game.

MKX -- Probably the best core engine of the three. Feels responsive, characters seem to have weight, good depth of interesting character tools, the movement feels smooth. Free of a lot of the glitches that plagued the last two games. Frame data finally puts universal emphasis on pokes and choosing proper attacks, rather than throwing out tons of strings that are + or 0 on block.

The game design pushes almost every top character (with maybe 1-2) exceptions toward one play style. The run button, fast 50/50s, easy long-distance footsie strings, lack of invincible wakeups, massive corner carry, and expensive push block leads 90% of matches to be constant face-to-face mixup-based gameplay. This deemphasizes the great movement, because you spend so much of the match face-to-face rather than moving around in footsie range (with the exception of playing against some characters like Johnny Cage).

---

MKX has the best engine, but it's hard to say in terms of the overall layout and enjoyment of the game which is best. All 3 games are different in their own ways.

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
It's all about the general movement for me. MK9 has what I like, which is a modified version of MKDA's movement. Movement in MKX feels too much like a mechanic for my personal taste (I really most fighting games movement is a "mechanic" like that, but that's why I enjoyed MK so much). That and I see the jumping attacks/anti-airs as a bit awkward. I do wish there wasn't such an emphasis on rush-down guessing and corner play is far too prevalent. It's not my preference, but I can accept it. It's MKD v2.0. But stuff isn't nearly as punishable as in that game and the 3d plane was a big help. I'm not convinced there won't be a massive general change to the system in an upcoming patch (dash nerf in MK9). Maybe I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise.

But I like MKX overall for sure. It's still fun. If they took the general mechanics of MK9 and applied it to the progression of MKX, I'd be in heaven.

Injustice wasn't my cup of tea. I don't like comic books but I do like movement. So it had nothing for me.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I feel IGAU is the "worst", so to speak, with MKX probably at the pinnacle as far as a solid base game goes. IGAU is the only game they made which I truly feel was flawed from the very beginning and that no amount of changes were going to fix that. With the exception of Batgirl, all of the top characters were played best by holding back and letting the other characters walk into their far superior moves. This didn't change as you went down the line of best characters, as Bane, Sinestro, Superman, Doomsday, Wonder Woman, etc. also relied on this as their strongest, most universal tactic. Characters like Flash, who were pretty powerful mixup characters, still couldn't contend with this, which we saw numerous times over the life of the game. There was almost nothing fair about Aquaman or how simply he reduced your character to zero options by the facet of existing. Far more fun at a mid level than it was at the higher levels of play, which is a shame.

MK9 and MKX are both more solid to me, with some things being done better in one game than the other. For one, while a lot would complain about the loss of archetypes, I have always felt that MK9 (and MKX, by extension) are, at their core, 3D fighters masquerading as 2D fighters. 3D fighters have archetypes in a sense, but it's far less defined than perhaps a 2D game like Street Fighter. There are little things, like the occasional command grab or projectile attack, but for the most part everyone kind of lives and dies by how strong they can play the base game. In MK9 this was most likely domination of the midscreen game, while in MKX it's firing the first salvo and forcing the opponent to crumble with strong mixups. There's really dumb stuff here and there and a lot of it requires extreme mental toughness and deft decision making over executional stuff, but I like it. Much like KI, I feel there is less of an emphasis on execution and waiting around and more on the decisions being made in the heat of the moment. I can definitely see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I also feel like, and this is something @funkdoc alluded to in a thread once, that when they try to make an archetype really defined in a game where that's not really super inforced, it becomes rote and uninteresting, whether that be the sort of zoning where they other opponent literally can't move (Zod, Freddy) or grapplers who have grabs that are extremely difficult to avoid and literally cover every option (Bane). MKX is more of a mixed bag because the game isn't done developing or changing, so the jury will be out for some time, but I don't imagine the main thing that makes a character good will really change.

So I guess it would be MKX=MK9>IGAU??

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Mk9>Mkx>Injustice

despite MK9s being broken, at the highest level it seens to me it was more skill intensive. Mkx is fun but its effectively competitive roulette.
Injustice was just garbage, no footsies, clunky broken design with clunky broken characters and clunky broken interactables.
While that is completely accurate and I agree , remember not everyone on this forum is playing competively and a lot of them started on injustice , so it's no surprise that mk9 isn't on the top of the popularity list :(

Wigy

There it is...
While that is completely accurate and I agree , remember not everyone on this forum is playing competively and a lot of them started on injustice , so it's no surprise that mk9 isn't on the top of the popularity list :(
If im honest. I don't care about what the casuals want when it comes to a game i intend to put weeks of playtime into

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
If im honest. I don't care about what the casuals want when it comes to a game i intend to put weeks of playtime into
I'm on the same page , what freebies have to say doesn't concern me , I'm playing this game to be the best or die trying

Wigy

There it is...
Anyone who actually thinks MK9 is better than MKX or Injustice is kidding themselves, come on. Take your nostalgia hats off.
I played like 40-50 days on mk9 at least i stopped playing injustice after maybe 2-3 weeks and tried to pick it up again like 4 times but every time it was painful. Maybe spent 3days on it tops. Mkx i've played nonstop since release and will keep playing.

Injustice seems to be hated or loved. Apprently some people like slow pace with no footsies and unblockable 20% OTG's at the end of every combo.

Tl/dr people are entitled to their opinion and the fact its a majority opinion tells u sometthing