Votes: 10 3.9%
  • 1 MK9 2 IGAU, too soon to judge MKX

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • 1 IGAU 2 MK9, too soon to judge MKX

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
IGAU - This game will always be special to me because of it being my first fighting game. I loved everything about it except unblockable interactables and otg interactables. I think that needed to be toned down but they weren't necessarily broken. I loved background bounces and character specific interactables like Flash banging the opponents head on a car. Now that I've played MKX, I feel like Injustice mobility was certainly an issue. A faster walk speed would have helped it a lot.

MKX - This game is really fun for me because it's a fun change of pace and different mechanics make it enjoyable for me. Learning new things in MUs and improving my play with D'Vorah is so much fun.

MK9 - No real opinion since I didn't play it. But from what I've seen, the lack of character diversity kinda hurt it imo.

the only thing mk9 has above the others is the roster, Smoke, Sektor, Cyrax (broken but he looks cool), Rain, Noob Saibot, The cyborgs and ninjas are the coolest chars and all of them belong in mkx. Cyborg Smoke is the greatest fictional character in human history and it blows my mind that he wasnt in mkx

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
the only thing mk9 has above the others is the roster, Smoke, Sektor, Cyrax (broken but he looks cool), Rain, Noob Saibot, The cyborgs and ninjas are the coolest chars and all of them belong in mkx. Cyborg Smoke is the greatest fictional character in human history and it blows my mind that he wasnt in mkx
I would have to agree. I miss some of the characters from MK9 due to the nostalgia feeling, But that's the only thing I can say what makes MK9 better than MKX. MKX to me is better besides that. The game is addicting on learning new things.

MK9 > MKX > IGAU

MK9 was the game that gave life back into this franchise, and i'll never forget that. It was the game that got me back into MK and I didn't put the controller down for weeks. I still haven't had the same type of experience since, even though MKX is still really good and improved in some areas, I don't think i'll have as much fun playing this game as I did back then. Maybe if Fujin is DLC i'll enjoy MKX more but there's a lot of flaws that i'm waiting to be sorted out and until they do i'm probably not going to take this game seriously. IGAU was a good, fun game, but again I didn't have a character I truly wanted to play and that was a big part of the problem. I still enjoyed playing it though, I just never cared about it as much as I do MK.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
MKX loves corners so much, they have a fight modifier where each characters starts off a sweep distance away from each other while both characters are in a corner. Me and my friends call this game Bodega Fighter X because everything happens down at the corner.

In terms of rank, I rank them equally. They all have some game mechanic or property, that drives me batty. (MK9 bugs and chip damage, Injustice walk speed and interactables, and MKX's lineraity)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I would have to agree. I miss some of the characters from MK9 due to the nostalgia feeling, But that's the only thing I can say what makes MK9 better than MKX. MKX to me is better besides that. The game is addicting on learning new things.
I think this is the reason people are choosing MK9 over MKX.

It is an objective reality that MKX is a better game than MK9, but people have their emotions wrapped up in to MK9's roster, and/or it being their first "serious" game, so they are more tied to it.

Nobody can really argue against that. Just as nobody really can legitimately argue that MK9 is a better FG than MKX, and thus they have to tear down MKX, and pump up (forget the issues and flaws) MK9, to make an argument.

FYI: Anyone who thinks all of MK9 problems could have been fixed with "one more patch" is crazy. It would have been awesome if MK9 had one more patch, but the most it would have done is inject maybe one more year of competition into the community for the game we all loved at the time.

Wigy

There it is...
You know a big factor that made mk9 so much fun, the dash cancels allowed for some awesome combo potential. In injustice most of the combos are dull. Nothing has come close to TONYT and Check's MK9 stuff for either mkx or injustice.

Doesn't seem like a big deal but it added lots to the games fun and depth.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
You know a big factor that made mk9 so much fun, the dash cancels allowed for some awesome combo potential. In injustice most of the combos are dull. Nothing has come close to TONYT and Check's MK9 stuff for either mkx or injustice.

I disagree. True MK9 had a lot of combo potential but interactables also greatly increased the combo potential in Injustice. Some of the combos & setups in that game are insane.

Onilordasmodeus

That is true, but there is a double edged sword there.

Being able to cancel a dash with anything made the game sort of goofy, and far less deliberate than many other FGs out there. Making it so dashes are punishable, makes the way you rush down more risky, and really makes footsies that much more important.

IMO it adds way more reward to playing well, than it does in fun/easy factor as far as combos go. Not to mention that run cancel combos in MKX are very similar to the "dash cancel combos" of MK9, except expanded upon, with a higher level of execution.

Onilordasmodeus

I disagree. True MK9 had a lot of combo potential but interactables also greatly increased the combo potential in Injustice. Some of the combos & setups in that game are insane.
Injustice was WAY more setup heavy than MK9 was, and to a degree MKX.

IMO all the games were/are good, and fun. All of them had/have their quirks. I think it does a slight disservice trying to rank them honestly, especially Injustice vs. the MK's, because they all brought something different to the table, but Injustice was almost just another beast entirely.

IMO MKX is MK9...just better / fixed.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
1. Injustice - It was the first fighting game that I played seriously which gives it a huge boost in points for me. Also, B2B >Block Button. DC Characters >>> MK Characters. Yeah there's a lot of bullshit in this game but what I like about it is that there are ways to counter nearly everything, bar OTG interactables and Zod trait/smash-face-against-controller interactables. But anyways, jump, backdash, MB F3/B3 cancels, all got you through it. It seems that a lot of people are saying that no matter that, if someone hits RB, you're getting fucked for 20% free which just isn't the case. The slower pace suited me better as well. I prefer a more calculated game, with different playstyles that are all successful. Like @Rude said, "In Injustice you could play a zoner (Zod), a setplay character (Batgirl), a grappler (Bane), A footsies/whiff punish character (Aquaman), a counter zoner (MMH), Rushdown(The Flash) and do well."
There is also a ton of individual character things that have to be learned which I like to see.
Character diversity was super apparent in top 8/16's, which even the most anti-IGAU, MK9-is-Jesus people have to admit.

2. MK9 - Can't really say much about this game as I really only played it for a couple of months before MKX came out so that I could get used to the block button, so I never really learned the nuances of the game. However, I can say that watching this game gets me hype, which is more than I can accredit to MKX.

3. MKX - Ugh. This game, man. Only one viable playstyle - rushdown. This kills the Mannimal. Now, it'd be O.K. if there was even one character who could win with the main gameplan being zoning. Some would say Quan Chi can do this, but can he really? Because at least 70% of the damage dealt by him comes from his vortex. (Note: I make up random statistics. But you get my point.) If it was rushdown pressure, I could handle it. But it's not. It's: run, do an advancing 50/50 which, for some reason, can be option selected to make safe, push to the corner with one or two combos, go into 50/50, 33/33/33, and 25/75 heaven and win. Oh, and don't forget, you can get command grabbed off nearly every decent string that a cowboy with dual revolvers and a rifle has. Did I mention that the character design in this game makes no sense? Not to mention the phantom hurtboxes of certain jump attacks. The game seems designed to cater to casuals, as nearly all zoning is ruined by either the frames on it, or the fact that backdashes and breaker both require stamina meter. If you're going to make backdashes require stamina, so should forward dashes, not that anyone uses them, as you can just run and cancel into a string or block for a much faster and safer movement option. Throws are designed horrendously, too.
However, there are things that the game should receive credit for. I like how every character has multiple personalized interactions with each other before the start of the match, as opposed to the three or four that each character in Injustice had. The game looks far better than any of it's predecessors, and, as far as fighting games go, is only challenged by Killer Instinct. As for the majority of 50/50s that can't be option selected, most are punishable, and if they're not, they only lead to 10-15% or so damage. That's a huge step-up from Injustice, where most 50/50s were only slightly negative on block.

One more thing:

I think that A LOT of people in this thread need to acknowledge my first sentence as being true for them and stop trying to prove that MK9 or IGAU or MKX is the best, since if it was your first game, you have a huge bias towards it. LBSH. Let's not pretend that any of these games are golden, they all have their problems.

I never understood "zoning" players. You want to stand full screen and do the same special move over and over? Sounds boring.

Wigy

There it is...
Those combos weren't fun and were barely viable half he time. How many times did u actually see a roomba combo done in game?
It was just x combo HKD throw interactable. Maybe high damage but dull dull dull

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I liked mk9, I like mkx even more.

Injustice was ass.

1. MKX - Simply have had the most fun with it so far, this might change but i feel its very well put together

2. MK9 - Was kinda broken in certain ways but a great game overall

3. IGAU - Good attempt at something new but my god the movement in this game completely killed it, i could LITERALLY (not exaggerating here) make a simple sandwich in the time it takes a character to walk across the entire screen. Only viable way to move around is either jumping, which just encouraged scrubby play, or by dashing and without dash cancels just made certain character fail epically hard against anyone with even a semi decent projectile. Very one dimensional game imo

No kabal, smoke sektor or Cyrax! Mk9 was the best fuckn game ever brainstormed! Lol
Although Kotal Kahn is the fuckn man!
Pray for the KAHNS mercy!

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Are you saying GL doesn't have combos or just show your lack of knowledge for the game?
The part about run and throw fireballs. Green arrow was a hit and run character. In genereal, on wakeup he loved to do savage blast to get away and create some space to load ice arrow. Then throw arrows to land a freeze, so he could rush in and combo. Green Arrow was the type of character that set up his combo damage by "running and throwing "fireballs" all day"

Also your avatar is Green Arrow (GA) and not of Green Lantern (GL).

Last edited: