What's new

Breakthrough Rain: New Outlook

9_Lives

Noob
I'd have to be careful with the lightning, but RH cancels at farther distances are good for building meter. I'm usually more concerned with getting in since I am still a scrub yet. I currently feel that he is at his strongest when he his EX RH cancelling through a poke or block string and full comboing, but I have been trying to perfect my strategy, and perhaps what I am lacking is patience.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I just got blown up by Rain and I realized that I know nothing about the matchup. :coffee:
Time for some frame data.
HAve you noticed how many rains are out there as well. I play the character, and I can't even fight against him. I haven't lost to any, but I'm just gonna chalk that up to luck.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
HAve you noticed how many rains are out there as well. I play the character, and I can't even fight against him. I haven't lost to any, but I'm just gonna chalk that up to luck.
I can generally read them right and blow them up but when the player is more skilled than I am, I'll need to have something up my sleeve, such as knowing when I have to 12df4d1df2 and when I can n2,n3,b1 for a punish.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
See I never get into rain mirrors I usually get to play Rain when I have the chance to play offline. Online it's just to inconsistent for me to punish properly. I usually win through deception, and other gimmicks though, BTW I was wondering. Since scorpion can beat sonya's unenhanced wake-ups that aren't the leg grab with 3,3 and beat out her enhanced speacials that aren't karthweele can rain do it with 4,3 or maybe B3. Also since scorpion can also go avoid all of johnny cages wake-ups with a sweep can rain also do it? I mean he could seriouslt benefit from a whiffed shadow kick punish with out the use of meter. Just my thinking.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Standing 4, Standing 2, B2, B2 1+2 and B23 are all amazing footsie tools, not to mention the RH cancels of some of these and the water gun move, which is good for spacing.

Hey....and as an aside Rain players...has anyone toyed with the idea of using water bubble to lame people out?

Follow me here....

In my mind, Rain is all about footsies, limited pressure, and heavy punishes. Say you get off a good 40% punish...which is easy for the character...what if you used a water bubble in the middle of your next combo to push them full-screen?

Enhance it, and you drain some meter. Use B2, water gun, etc to space them out and if they get in, armor through the offense and put them right back to full screen with the bubble again.

Does this have any validity?
This is a great way to look at some MU's like Kitana say. Kitana will throw fans the whole damn match, run away from Rain, and wait for you to mess up so she can take like 50%. Say you land the first combo, now you're half a life bar ahead and she has to come to you. Rain is muchhhhhhhhhh better when you make your opponent come to you.

Don't use bubble in the middle of your combo to create space, just do 4 or 4(3) Geyser kick at the end of your combo. You will get max damage and put your opponent full screen =)

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
So I looked at the Frame data and I mean it looks sound enough. Being that rains B4 has a 48f duration and most of cages wake-ups near the 60's they would have to respect a lighting on a whiffed shadow kick wake-up, and eclipse kick duration is 3 frames slower but you will be around halfway through with it be the time he is over your head meaning you might be able to punish it with a 4 I will try to test it out, but I don't know if this is good or just a neat gimmick. Seeing as the whole cast should be afraid of getting punished by Rain, him if not anyone else would benefit from this

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
So yeah i just tried it and it work on all of johnny's wake-up attacks. So basically any combo that puts JC close to rain a b4 will make him whiff any wake-up attack.

Shadow kick: Lighting
flip kick: throw, ex roundhouse will catch them trying to do it again
nut punch: 4,3 lightning, uppercut, 4,3 bubble, uppercut, 4 aqua splash
that goes for the ex versions as well

I think that it's a pretty neat trick to keep up your sleeve especially since Rain can punish harder than most the cast. Hopefully this was helpful

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Totally didnt even notice people had been posting here. Guess it all happened last night. Some good possible ideas being thrown around but for me rain is all about being a tank and getting in and out safely. This weekend i may do some more write ups on the character that ive been forgetting to mention and also repost the match up chart that got lost in the downtime with some changes since that time. Also Clayman please dont come here just to trash the character. He is good but not great and has his options just like any other character. No reason to come here and just mindlessly post that he is shit. Thank you.

Clayman

you don't get it, do you?
Also Clayman please dont come here just to trash the character. He is good but not great and has his options just like any other character. No reason to come here and just mindlessly post that he is shit. Thank you.
Agreed. Rain is solid mid tier character, i just don't like the hype around his "godlike footsies", best armor in the world and damage output that cyrax, smoke and quan chi will never match. I say compare ur character to top tier, then make a statement about how great he is. Edenian prince coming to u in ur wet dreams is another case though.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Agreed. Rain is solid mid tier character, i just don't like the hype around his "godlike footsies", best armor in the world and damage output that cyrax, smoke and quan chi will never match. I say compare ur character to top tier, then make a statement about how great he is. Edenian prince coming to u in ur wet dreams is another case though.
I personally have always said rain hangs in the realm of 15 in the tier list IMO. His footsies are decent. His damage is high and meterless. He has great armor. Hes overall solid except at full screen. Then he can only slowly get in, teleport (very risky), or hope for a trade that ends in his favor. Keep him out and know how to get away and hes not that great of a threat. Still my favorite character and he fits how i like to play so until i find something like that again he will stay my main and ill attempt to prove how good i am/he is.

Espio

Kokomo
It's more important to worry about making a character work and improving on their strengths, while minimizing the impact of their weaknesses/making weaknesses a strength than worrying about where they hang in the tier list or how "sucky" they allegedly are in the game.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
U personally have always been very wrong. Rain is somewhere near top20. Listen to CD Jr, if u dont wanna listen to me.
top 15 is pretty close to 20. People have their own ideas of different characters and thats my opinion on how i see this character. How can an opinion be wrong?