What's new

Rain General Discussion

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Yep, Day 1 main. I guess the refreshment did him well. He is quite original, we never had proper wizard/mage in MK and I'm totally into the mage-ish design.

Plus (I haven't watched the story yet) I guess there is still possibility that he can indeed be a demigod and that his story might be expanded further. His demi-godhood might explain his elemental powers and he can still be both prince and mage. Can't wait to play him and to dig his intros and interactions with other fighters.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
He got the Skarlet treatment. From a rushdown fighter to a boring zoner. And most of his signatures are gone.

Can wait to see how dumb he'll look when people put on his classic ninja skin while carrying around a wand.
How are most of his signatures gone? He still has the lighting and roundhouse kick plus loads of new cool water moves that juggle. The water bubble is the only one that is just part of his throw now but it's still there. And if you ask me, the replacement he got (whirlpool) is much better as it's low and not mid and still allows for a juggle.

Thingy

Retired account
Just checking in to say….

I am going in with Rain. I love a strong zoner because it gives me options anywhere on the screen. The swag and mind games will be off the charts.

As for the redesign, I am grateful for it. Looking forward to what they do with his alternate skins.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
let's hope they didn't tone him down in terms of personality and he is still vain, cunning and cruel. And that we will find it out in his intro dialogues.

I've seen the switch version of his fatality. It's decent. Can't wait to see it in a proper resolution. It's creative and, most importantly, uses his signature power in it. It's not just something plain & brutal. Wonder what his 2nd will be.

How are most of his signatures gone? He still has the lighting and roundhouse kick plus loads of new cool water moves that juggle. The water bubble is the only one that is just part of his throw now but it's still there. And if you ask me, the replacement he got (whirlpool) is much better as it's low and not mid and still allows for a juggle.
The lightning cloud is gone unless you can show me. I haven't seen it at all.

I play a lot of UMK3 Rain up to MK9 Rain. I guess a lot of people here weren't around back then to know how different he played. I'll give him a shot, but this is a huge departure.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I've been there since MK1 and played Rain in UMK3 and MK:T.
I've been there when Armageddon happened
I've been there when Rain was in a limbo and later became DLC staple.

I really don't mind if he is a rushdown/grappler/combo-heavy/zoner/whatever character.

I want him to be original, mainstay with water/rain/storm powers - how these powers can be portrayed and reimagined - it's up to the creators. I care more about his character, design, personality rather than how will he end up gameplay-wise.

As per his lightning cloud - it can still be there in his fatality and it's a part of his fatal blow.

What are his other signature moves?
Roundhouse kick - check
Bubble - check, but in the throw (and probably a part of brutality)
Water splash - reimagined into various water projectiles, what's not to like?
Waterport - reimagined into the portals, weird but ok

As I'm reading reddit, twitter and even this forum, seems that a lot of people are now disappointed because he seem to be zoner, yet I think he will end up crazy fun and people will change their minds.

Hope that will happen, because then there will be more probability for him to be in MK2.

I hope that "zoners" don't end up with too many disadvantages as we have Kameo's to pull up. Can't wait to figure it all out tho.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
so we got his fatality in good quality (MK leaks on reddit). Damn! It looks great!!! And I'm not saying that only because it belongs to Rain. It might be easily top3 out of every fatalities that we have seen so far.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
The lightning cloud is gone unless you can show me. I haven't seen it at all.
Have you watched his Kombat Kast? It's not gone:
https://www.youtube.com/live/rxpsZbVhQCQ?si=-o-xZmC9Bvfvh4E7&t=2092

I play a lot of UMK3 Rain up to MK9 Rain. I guess a lot of people here weren't around back then to know how different he played. I'll give him a shot, but this is a huge departure.
I played UMK3 Rain, and yes he did play different. He was a boring palette swap with barely any thought put in his moveset. MK9 stepped in the right direction in making him stand out, but he still was just a purple ninja visually with a few more water special moves. This time around they actually thought him through, and made him really stand out. That is a win to me as a Rain fan, not a departure. But hey, to each their own.

Thingy

Retired account
Anyone have any first impressions? I got to play for maybe 10 mins before work because I slept in. working until 11:15. :(

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
my impressions - he is great and as Rooflemonger said in other topic - he is way more complex than "there you have Rain - he a zoner". Pairing him with Sektor and I guess that would be my squad for the online matches for the initial phase of me playing.

Anyone have any first impressions? I got to play for maybe 10 mins before work because I slept in. working until 11:15. :(
Actual zoning tools are slow as hell.
Pokes are stubby
Portals are more maintenance then they are worth outside of a few corner gimmicks

Last edited:
Man I'm so sad. I got to play Rain at a friend's house, had way too much fun, and now I have to wait until official release. I don't think he's really meant to be a zoner

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, Cyrax allows Rain to convert his armor into a full kombo or remain safe on block...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I have to test and explore more, but the zoning seems really bad thus far. Everything is comically slow. The straight projectile has 34 frames of start up. LOL. Why? It does not even hit mid.