What's new

Rain general discussion

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Robocop looking real bad for Rain. Grenade ignores rift, gunshot KB, etc.

All he needs is one grab once im in to repeat.
Rift absorbs grenades. I would choose slice and Edenian force against Robocop.

By the way, katar toss is always -12 on block, no matter the range., which means that a flawless blocked katar toss will always be -17.

Geras punishes a flawless blocked katar toss anywhere on the screen with quick sand. LOL.

Characters with fast advancing special moves (i.e., Johnny Cage's slide, Liu Kang's dragon kick, Sub Zero's slide, etc.) do the same at mid range very easily.

The more I lab against this character the more bad news I seem to discover, which sucks because Rain is one of my favorite characters.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Rift absorbs grenades. I would choose slice and Edenian force against Robocop.

By the way, katar toss is always -12 on block, no matter the range., which means that a flawless blocked katar toss will always be -17.

Geras punishes a flawless blocked katar toss anywhere on the screen with quick sand. LOL.

Characters with fast advancing special moves (i.e., Johnny Cage's slide, Liu Kang's dragon kick, Sub Zero's slide, etc.) do the same at mid range very easily.

The more I lab against this character the more bad news I seem to discover, which sucks because Rain is one of my favorite characters.
I also noticed that Katar Toss has very bad recovery, enough to get punished if you manage to duck it at close to mid range.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
it's so dumb that water bubble is two slots because it forces you to use tidal wave or Hydroboost to stay somewhat safe.

it's so dumb that water bubble is two slots because it forces you to use tidal wave or Hydroboost to stay somewhat safe.
He can stay safe without needing to special cancel. It's his inability to create pressure without losing his turn.

With that said water ball has all his fun combos. I use it because I don't want to lose his signatures moves from past games and I'm force to pick between this or Purple Pain. I also don't to use hydroboost because that replaces super kick.

It pains to said that I haven't run into any Rain that bothers with his signatures and just run Geyser palm, hydroboost and either hydroplane or tidal wave. That's not Rain for me.

DarksydeDash

He can stay safe without needing to special cancel. It's his inability to create pressure without losing his turn.

With that said water ball has all his fun combos. I use it because I don't want to lose his signatures moves from past games and I'm force to pick between this or Purple Pain. I also don't to use hydroboost because that replaces super kick.

It pains to said that I haven't run into any Rain that bothers with his signatures and just run Geyser palm, hydroboost and either hydroplane or tidal wave. That's not Rain for me.
b212 has a flawless block gap and without tidal wave, you can't cover it.

Rain would have been so much stronger if he had a great whiff punishing button to compliment his amazing backdash. A lot time I manage to bait people into poking by wavedashing in forward and then backdashing but I am unable to catch the whiff punish with any of his buttons.

Mandolore1123

Rain would have been so much stronger if he had a great whiff punishing button to compliment his amazing backdash. A lot time I manage to bait people into poking by wavedashing in forward and then backdashing but I am unable to catch the whiff punish with any of his buttons.
Use B1 or F2. Or just wave dash D3. He doesn’t need stupidly long range buttons

Use B1 or F2. Or just wave dash D3. He doesn’t need stupidly long range buttons
Both of those buttons can work but if Rain had something like Fujin's b1 then his wavedash game would be so much scarier. B1 often gets clipped because it doesn't have a disjointed hitbox and its range isn't that good. You also can't backdash into f2 since its a forward input so its often too slow to catch the whiff punish for pokes. I don't think Rain is bad at all I was just hoping for him to be a whiff punish god with that ridiculous movement.

Mandolore1123

Both of those buttons can work but if Rain had something like Fujin's b1 then his wavedash game would be so much scarier. B1 often gets clipped because it doesn't have a disjointed hitbox and its range isn't that good. You also can't backdash into f2 since its a forward input so its often too slow to catch the whiff punish for pokes. I don't think Rain is bad at all I was just hoping for him to be a whiff punish god with that ridiculous movement.
Just D3 and take your turn then. His D3 is already a disjointed hit box. He’s got even better movement than Fujin. That’s why he’s so stubby. You have to dash up and poke or dash up string to whiff punish people. He even has a mid projectile that’s super fast and does great damage.

Wigy

There it is...
I also basically never use b1. Where are you guys slotting it in? Just for dash in punishes?

Not a real stagger and range is so so.

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
I also basically never use b1. Where are you guys slotting it in? Just for dash in punishes?

Not a real stagger and range is so so.
B1 itself is the best meaty against jumpers because it lets you convert into 133/242. And if they jump from long distance it works the same as an anti air. I also use the whole B14 string in neutral sometimes because it high profiles some attacks and it's range is pretty good. Many get hit by it not expecting to reach.

DarksydeDash

Yeah b1 into Hydroplane, boost, Katar toss, etc. Is 100% legit.

Beaides, you can use b14f to switch sides.

Dante

Noob
Nah it doesn't combo, but it's still a punish, as if you would get thrown if you held block.
Feels so sad that Purple Pain needs to trade good tools like geyser palm or hydro boost. Choosing geyser palm loses you the damage and those corner setups and choosing hydro loses you anti airs and 133 confirms to a lesser extend.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

So apparently he can combo off lighting IF only 2 bolts hit which allows him to connect standing buttons into a combo. Granting him 3 to 4% dmg increase tho.

Don't mind the b21 because it can be done without it I just have time constraints haven't had time to lab since he dropped lol.