What's new

General/Other Rain coming to MK9 on July 19th

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Is this the heavy rushdown, combo-oriented char with low and overhead starters ive been waiting to alt?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
That first overhead string at 0:27 looks absolutely devastating. Just from speed of it and how quickly he dashes after the 3rd hit connects, looks like a great pressure tool (even on block). Also, I hope that kicking string at 0:37 hits low with the first hit.

I'm really hoping that stream of water behaves like Reptile's Acid Stream, and can be used as a combo ender to leave the opponent standing (i.e. Sektor's Flamethrower)

Overall with Roundhouse Kick, Water Orb, launching Lightning, and Teleport Uppercut (sort of), the combo possibilities look endless. As long as his damage isn't complete shit, it wouldn't surprise me if Rain has some of the most devastating bnb's in this game.
The trend is that DLC characters average between 35 to 40% meterless damage whenever they complete a combo. I doubt Rain will be any different.

I honestly hope they don't completely fuck him up by making him have to blow through meter constantly for combos.

Is this the heavy rushdown, combo-oriented char with low and overhead starters ive been waiting to alt?
Liu Kang?

His bubble better not be comboable, like he can use it mid combo. That would be stupid, unless it scales when an opponent is iced.
He uses it mid-combo right at the end, at 1:16. I'm sure it scales significantly, but Rain's combo potential is definitely amazing from the looks of his specials.

mesk

Noob
THIS JUST IN: casey anthony verdict protestors trampled by Mortal Kombat 2011 fans rejoicing over the fact that the character RAIN will be available on July 19th!
:)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
He uses it mid-combo right at the end, at 1:16. I'm sure it scales significantly, but Rain's combo potential is definitely amazing from the looks of his specials.
It might not scale significantly. What if it's an important part of his combos like Reptile's force balls? Unless his shit does HUGE damage, the orb only needs normal proration. Nothing like freeze scaling.

mesk

Noob
Shouldn't it say "Available July 19th, unless you have an Xbox"?
I think this time both $ony & M$ will have their stuff together,and TBH,most likely he will be available on 360 first,since they update live before PSN is updated,but who knows?
I hope there are no problems with Rain OR the skins

It might not scale significantly. What if it's an important part of his combos like Reptile's force balls? Unless his shit does HUGE damage, the orb only needs normal proration. Nothing like freeze scaling.
Lol I mean it looks like he has plenty of other tools to combo with. How many other characters have a roundhouse kick, an extremely quick move that launches (Lightning), and a teleport punch that pops the opponent up, all before you give this character a projectile orb that captures your opponent and allows you to position him exactly where you want?

Obviously this is all speculation, it just seems his combo-ability is already pretty significant without even considering the water orb. I mean, look what Sektor can do with just a Teleport Uppercut. I don't think freze scaling on the orb would ruin his combos too much, but that's just my assessment based on a 1-minute long video .

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
All I was saying is that he won't need it if his damage isn't insane. Considering the amount of stuff he has to potentially start combos with, it probably isn't.

The orb being able to position your opponent where you want them, is kind of a gimmick. Holding them in the air so they get juggled is it's practical use (and I guess landing an X-Ray, but we all know that's effectively pointless between breakers and :en moves unless it's for the win). But all moves in the game that cause untechable time can be used to position your opponent close to you or far away. You just move yourself rather than your opponent after landing it.

Trust me, it won't be an issue.

Kombo

Noob
That win pose! :p
I know somebody is going to be a little upset about Rain using their old win pose. :reptile:

Reptile has forever been salty for having to share his win pose with Rain lol. If he's upset he only has himself to blame for de-evolving and losing the privilege to that pose xD.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
So his teleport seems to be two different moves, the super jump attack, and the teleport uppercut, it shows him doing the normal version of the jump and the ex and they do the same thing, and neither of them seem to track the opponent, he dashed up to them to do it. They just don't show the normal version of the teleport upper.

Maybe the supper jump is supposed to be that attack called "windy feet" that he had in MKA, I never plaeyd the game so I don't know what it looks like, but IDK.

But all moves in the game that cause untechable time can be used to position your opponent close to you or far away. You just move yourself rather than your opponent after landing it.

Trust me, it won't be an issue.
I understand what you're saying, but you're contradicting yourself. You're making the point that the water orb is essentially like any other move that causes an untechable state (i.e. freeze, net, etc.). Why, then, would water orb not have the same proration properties as freeze and net?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Because Rain is a different character from Sub-Zero and Cyrax? I highly doubt he'll be able to totally lock you down with the constant threat of freeze into combo like Subs, and Cyrax does 57% damage for one bar off a net (and that's just without the reset). Is there really any scaling there? If there is, somebody at NRS is bad at math.

I'm not saying there won't be damage scaling. Any move that doesn't have positive proration will reduce the damage of the subsequent attack. I just don't think it's wise to assume that the proration off the water orb will be as high as Sub-Zero's freeze/"significant", and nobody should want that of all things before they have any practical knowledge of how he operates.

Oh boy, i wasn't hype before but man, Rain looks awesome! He seems to have unique strings and good speed coupled with lots of awesome specials.. Water Orb is gonna be such a sweet trolling tool.

Pantera

Cowboy from Hell
When it rains it pours, which is a lot in England lol. I'm really happy with that trailer and the 19th can't come soon enough. Thank you NRS.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Does anyone else think his stance when the opponent is in the water orb is kind of... goofy?

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I was never a fan of Rain before... he always felt incomplete and I always just took him as a joke. I don't know if i'll be using him much when he comes out but, I think it's awesome he looks like a fully realized character now. Props to NRS, seems like they made a lot of people happy.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
They did the 3 lightning strikes i said they should do....
WORD!!!!!!!!!

its official rain is my new main, FUCK YEAH!