What's new

Raiden Updated Combo Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
No, this still doesn't work because the SC difference against females makes the combo lose damage instead of gain, and your claim is Raiden was dealing more damage to certain females (which he wasn't) so this explanation cannot be the answer.

Works on everyone, not just the guys.
It did work but like I said I can't replay the video, I know he did more damage I have a good longterm memory and he did over 40% months ago now it's 37. I know because in the combo thread nobody had posted that specific combo til I posted it...

It changed at some point a while ago but yeah I never said it don't work on the females, just that the damage used to be different with that one combo.

MKF30

these are old so I would alternate

but more recently I just press F2 right after the jump attack and it'll hit, depending on the situation I'll make small changes

F2 is the better choice since you recover faster and on the guys you can add a 12 before the Electric Fly or Storm Cell finish
Makes sense, same here. If I'm in a tense match I won't try to get fancy with certain combos I'll play it safe.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It changed at some point a while ago but yeah I never said it don't work on the females, just that the damage used to be different with that one combo.
The only way the damage would be different is if the number of hits in the combo were different. If the number of hits is the same, and in the same order, then the damage is the same regardless of male/female. Combos don't do more damage simply based on whether it's done to a male character or a female character. That's not how the programming would even work.

MKF30

The only way the damage would be different is if the number of hits in the combo were different. If the number of hits is the same, and in the same order, then the damage is the same regardless of male/female. Combos don't do more damage simply based on whether it's done to a male character or a female character. That's not how the programming would even work.
The number of hits seemed more a year ago than now for the specific combo I am talking about. But it's whatever, they're all even now so that's all that matters. I wouldn't mind if they buffed his damage output lol

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
@Marlow Updated TW BNBs
Midscreen combos should be unaffected

Corner combos
B12~DB2 AMP, JI3, 243~BF3 (311.55)
12 starter (301.55)
F4 starter (336.37)
B31~DB2AMP, JI3, JI3~BF3 (314.09)
243~DB2AMP, JI3, JI3~BF3 (328.39)

MKF30

Ever notice certain characters have insane corner damage where others are just ok average in MK 11? They're fun to watch though. Raiden has some cool combos in the corner, but damn other day this freaking Kung Lao in KL did like 48% to me in the corner like goddamn lol.

Last edited:

MKF30

I like his combos in the corner they take more timing than other characters imo. I also enjoy combos where he pushes you into the corner(have to be in the corner)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I like his combos in the corner they take more timing than other characters imo. I also enjoy combos where he pushes you into the corner(have to be in the corner)
Raiden's Corner Carry potential is really good, it's one of the reasons it sucks to play T&L because you lose that corner carry.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
What do u guys do when TW runs out of defensive bars? What do u guys do to keep yourself safe in that situation (especially when you cornered your opponent)?

Mandolore1123

What do u guys do when TW runs out of defensive bars? What do u guys do to keep yourself safe in that situation (especially when you cornered your opponent)?
In theory it’s best to always keep 1 bar to pressure and keep options open. However it you do find yourself starved it’s best to hang back so you get space to manoeuvre. Up close you should mix up your stagger options to keep opponents guess so you can steal turns and sneak in more stuff. Don’t be afraid to hold the opponent’s pressure and look for opportunities to counter attack. TW isn’t really an aggressive character precisely because he’s defensive bar dependent so keep this in mind.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
In theory it’s best to always keep 1 bar to pressure and keep options open. However it you do find yourself starved it’s best to hang back so you get space to manoeuvre. Up close you should mix up your stagger options to keep opponents guess so you can steal turns and sneak in more stuff. Don’t be afraid to hold the opponent’s pressure and look for opportunities to counter attack. TW isn’t really an aggressive character precisely because he’s defensive bar dependent so keep this in mind.
He's not even a good zoner to keep away, how do I use him effectively?

Mandolore1123

He's not even a good zoner to keep away, how do I use him effectively?
When I said hang back I meant at mid range. Raiden has 3 main weaknesses in base: zoning/counter-zoning, safety and aerial presence. That's why he suffers when he's at full screen or when he's up close. However he is good at mid range. Normals like F4, F11, B1, F3, B3 are great footsie tools to whiff punish at different ranges and all lead to good damage. Just staying at around starting distance (the distance at Match Start) with your opponent is pretty good for Raiden since he can threaten with F4 which is 19f and mid and -3. In TW, your fly cancels and tp cancels are geared more towards creating space for whiff punishing rather than being absolutely safe. However as established they are very heavily dependent on defensive bar so you might have to be playing defence most of the time and be very patient. Teleport is great on a read against projectiles and Raiden does have decent damage. Don't forget storm cell is an exceptional launcher since its giant hit-box can catch opponents in the air easily from multiple angles (use it in conversions, anti-airs, etc), and it jails from pokes, so it's a massively unsafe version of Outtake's rising star except your reward is a full combo every time if the opponent guesses wrong but if they sit and block then you eat big damage. Of course that opens up poke into poke and poke into throw and various other mind games.

If you do find yourself up close, remember to abuse his frames on hit from F3 and s12 from jails. F3 is your best friend up close, so bully with it a lot. If you like playing more offensive and prefer to be more safe then I would suggest Raijin since it's move set can plug up Raiden's base weakness better than TW does.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
When I said hang back I meant at mid range. Raiden has 3 main weaknesses in base: zoning/counter-zoning, safety and aerial presence. That's why he suffers when he's at full screen or when he's up close. However he is good at mid range. Normals like F4, F11, B1, F3, B3 are great footsie tools to whiff punish at different ranges and all lead to good damage. Just staying at around starting distance (the distance at Match Start) with your opponent is pretty good for Raiden since he can threaten with F4 which is 19f and mid and -3. In TW, your fly cancels and tp cancels are geared more towards creating space for whiff punishing rather than being absolutely safe. However as established they are very heavily dependent on defensive bar so you might have to be playing defence most of the time and be very patient. Teleport is great on a read against projectiles and Raiden does have decent damage. Don't forget storm cell is an exceptional launcher since its giant hit-box can catch opponents in the air easily from multiple angles (use it in conversions, anti-airs, etc), and it jails from pokes, so it's a massively unsafe version of Outtake's rising star except your reward is a full combo every time if the opponent guesses wrong but if they sit and block then you eat big damage. Of course that opens up poke into poke and poke into throw and various other mind games.

If you do find yourself up close, remember to abuse his frames on hit from F3 and s12 from jails. F3 is your best friend up close, so bully with it a lot. If you like playing more offensive and prefer to be more safe then I would suggest Raijin since it's move set can plug up Raiden's base weakness better than TW does.
Yes I played Raijin before I play TW and that was the best variation of Raiden that I feel the most comfortable, but I got a lot of struggles against heavy zoners such as Sonya, Frost, Skarlet and that's why I think of practicing TW to counter them. But then I found another struggle of TW is Idk what to do when I cornered the oppponent because everything TW do in the corner end up being unsafe most of the time

Mandolore1123

Yes I played Raijin before I play TW and that was the best variation of Raiden that I feel the most comfortable, but I got a lot of struggles against heavy zoners such as Sonya, Frost, Skarlet and that's why I think of practicing TW to counter them. But then I found another struggle of TW is Idk what to do when I cornered the oppponent because everything TW do in the corner end up being unsafe most of the time
They complement each other, in only that TW can destroy projectile-heavy play but suffers in all other aspects. I would say learn both and change up in accordance to MU and opponent play style.

As for the corner, just keep them there. They will kill themselves eventually. F3 stagger into strike/throw, overhead/low, jail with frames, whiff punish with F4 and all those things will help. Remember that TW also has access to side switch combos so you're always one combo away from putting them back in the corner for your big damage and stronger (ish) mixups

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
They complement each other, in only that TW can destroy projectile-heavy play but suffers in all other aspects. I would say learn both and change up in accordance to MU and opponent play style.

As for the corner, just keep them there. They will kill themselves eventually. F3 stagger into strike/throw, overhead/low, jail with frames, whiff punish with F4 and all those things will help. Remember that TW also has access to side switch combos so you're always one combo away from putting them back in the corner for your big damage and stronger (ish) mixups
His F3 is actually not that great. It's -6 on block so when I use it as the stagger I often get poked when I try to add D1/D3 or any other attacks like B12, B31. I wish it would be like Scor's F3 but it is not. How do u trick ppl with Raiden's F3? And any other options TW can do besides F3 stagger?

Mandolore1123

His F3 is actually not that great. It's -6 on block so when I use it as the stagger I often get poked when I try to add D1/D3 or any other attacks like B12, B31. I wish it would be like Scor's F3 but it is not. How do u trick ppl with Raiden's F3? And any other options TW can do besides F3 stagger?
Mix with F32. At high level play you should be threatening flawless block reversals as well. In Raijin F3 becomes much scarier because of the option of F3~DF2. In TW you only have F3 and F32. It's not that great compared with other better staggers, but at the same time flawless block reversals should always be a threat (of course that's assuming you can flawless block to begin with). If people like poking after your F3, you can always just block their poke and take your turn back with a throw or mid. If they throw then you can try to duck and punish. Remember to mix up your options as well. Catch people off guard with stuff they might not expect. You'll have to learn how to use all parts of the kit since Raiden doesn't have an all purpose string that does everything for him

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
Mix with F32. At high level play you should be threatening flawless block reversals as well. In Raijin F3 becomes much scarier because of the option of F3~DF2. In TW you only have F3 and F32. It's not that great compared with other better staggers, but at the same time flawless block reversals should always be a threat (of course that's assuming you can flawless block to begin with). If people like poking after your F3, you can always just block their poke and take your turn back with a throw or mid. If they throw then you can try to duck and punish. Remember to mix up your options as well. Catch people off guard with stuff they might not expect. You'll have to learn how to use all parts of the kit since Raiden doesn't have an all purpose string that does everything for him
Thank bro, I will take note your knowledge and apply it. Really appreciate

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just a quick FYI, it's going to be really hard for me to get this stuff updated with the changes since I'm still in the "New Father Adjustment" phase. Video game time is basically 30 minutes a week, if I'm lucky. But if anyone finds anything good please feel free to share it!

Mandolore1123

Just a quick FYI, it's going to be really hard for me to get this stuff updated with the changes since I'm still in the "New Father Adjustment" phase. Video game time is basically 30 minutes a week, if I'm lucky. But if anyone finds anything good please feel free to share it!
At the moment combo-wish the routes are all the same and so is the damage. I know Raijin can just summon lightning after his DB4AMP launcher for armour break for less damage (~25% off B12). Not hard and essentially gives us the best plus frames for ending combos. However, doing F2 is also good because it leaves Raiden up close for more pressure. To be honest I've never felt Raijin in particular had a problem with breakaway.

As for TW, nothing has changed except storm cell can't be broken out of.

At least that's what I've garnered playing for a few hours. The more significant things I feel are the hit box adjustments, the block push back and the changes to BF1

EDIT: As of my testing, using summon lightning on opponents trying to breakaway gives a damage boost of around 2% so keep that in mind. It'll be 27% for B12

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Does B31 and 243 work with summon lightning mid screen now? And does it work better on female characters?

I might also want to add the D2 KB into Summon Lightning damage summary, just to have that info available.