What's new

Raiden looks incredible in MK11

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I've honestly never been the biggest fan of Raiden. I don't dislike him, but I've never really gave him much attention in any game. I think the most I ever played him was during MK2 days.

Having said that, he looks fucking AMAZING in MK11. He finally looks and feels like the god he is. Even his walk is badass. He stands straight up and towers over just about the whole cast (so far). All his moves look devastating. That throw where he shocks the opponent and walks them down is hard as fuck. And that air lighting strike where he stomps the ground is so fucking cool.

Raiden looks very strong, as he should be. He's the sub boss in MK11 and he absolutely looks like it. For the first time ever, I really can't wait to play Raiden. Furthermore, we only saw the default variation.

One last thing - Rewind was anti-airing with what looked like a standing 1 on multiple occasions. That really made me happy. Brings back memories of MK9 where anti-airs actually worked properly.

Raiden was my favorite that we’ve seen so far, I’m so fucking glad they decided to almost completely revamp him. With the staff no less, he looks fuckin awesome. I pray he isn’t boring to play, and he doesn’t look like he will be. Very pleased with him so far, his design is amazing too.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
(For some reason Youtube timestamps don't work right on TYM so I just put the times where the moves are in my comment.)

I love everything about MK11 Raiden:

- The Dark Raiden persona is initimidating, with the way he speaks and how he has thrown all mercy out of the window.

- The kick at the end of his forward grab where he kicks you fullscreen (at 53:35) has a ton of weight to it. I will never get tired of using that move.

- Raiden's bolt move where he stomps the ground and a lightning bolt drops from the sky feels so heavy (at 54:16). One thing that always bothered me about MKX Raiden and Black Adam in Injustice 2 was how their lightning felt sort of laser-like, where the lightning was there more to cut through opponents rather than giving very strtong hits like a lightning strike would. In MK11 it looks like weighty lightning bolts are plentiful. It's so good.

Also the extra sound effect that sounds like an ACTUAL lightning strike is the best thing ever.

- Rewind used a bunch of MB Superman in his matches where Raiden grabs you and does a huge slam at the end (at 53:50). Again, the weightiness just makes the move feel extremely strong.

- The three-part lightning circle ( at 0:26 / 0:27 has such a nice animation to it, especially the shape he makes with his hands at the end.

- Also it looks like RAIDEN HAS GOOD FOOTSIES YES

He looks absolutely perfect. I can't wait to play him.

Last edited:
Raiden alone sells this game

10/10
Pretty much this.
After MKX and IJ2 I was feeling pretty mixed about NRS. I keep telling myself I'm gonna pass on their next game, and then I see his gameplay and..

"Ah, fuck."

I'm really hoping that electric light saber Raiden used to decapitate Shinnok in the prologue is part of one of his variations. Shit looked sick and the thought of Raiden using electric constructs is really fucking cool.

Now...all he needs is a grey beard.
I watched some footage of browsing through Raiden's variations and I didn't see anything related to that lightning blade. I'm surprised, really. I also assumed he'd have it as a new attack, he even uses two of them in another cinematic.

Here's said footage (skip to 10:20):

Last edited:
Yeah. Seems 'the Dark Side' has really taken to Raiden (or visa-versa) -- making his lightning abilities much more beseem a "thunder god" (i.e., compared to the weedy 'sperm ball' lightning that he's been insulted with in the past).

Before, Wrath-hammering Raiden's dim dome held an especially pleasure. His M11K incarnation, on the other hand, looks far more worthy of respect -- allegiances aside.

Last edited:

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Raiden looks godlike, no pun intended, he's just wholesome. His armor, His voice, His aggro, His entrance alone is so badass i can watch it on a loop forever. I don't even wanna get started on his gameplay from what we seen so far, But just from his appearance in the reveal cinematic and the prologue am sold, He's actually a selling point for this game which is beyond amazing.

Even those who didn't care about Raiden before can see it too, You just can't NOT love dark Raiden. I can't fucking wait.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I love the pulse lightning move he dose.. I think it is a grab. He holds the face and holds up his other hand and that hand gets hit by lightning a bunch of times ands it kinda pulses through him and into the opponent. I think it is in the running for the coolest move I saw on the reveal day.

SINGH E

Noob
Raiden has never looked this badass since MK2 in my opinion. I love his MK11 incarnation really made done the 7ft Thunder god justice. He looks tall and menacing and I love his new lightening stomp, it's a brilliant anti-air as seen in the SonicFox vs Rewind matches. Also loved his Superman into that powerbomb slam, it was so badass!!!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
When they showed us Raiden trailed back in 2015 (?), before MKX release, he also looked awesome, like expanded and improved version of his MK9 incarnation but with so many more tools.

Turned out almost all of those new tools were either unusable shit, or locked in dead variations, or both.

This time it looks a bit different because at least we have actual players using stuff in real matches showcasing characters, so I hope it'll turn out better.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Raiden was a character I really started playing a lot more towards the end of MKX and I ended up liking him a lot more than I thought.

With MK11's version of him I really want to try him out now.

John Grizzly

There's a floating move he has at 6:29. Seems like some kind of a stance, but only does a projectile from it. Pretty cool.
During the Sonic Fox vs Rewind exhibition, Rewind performs the float in the corner and does a Superman out of it. I think he has several options out of it. It would be sick if it worked a bit like Spectral Ermac as far as combos, although it looks like the startup might be too slow to work into juggles.

John Grizzly

OP says Raiden is the sub boss. Is this confirmed or an educated guess?
It's not confirmed but it was mentioned in several of the leaks. It would be a bit of a waste to have him turn full heel and not at least be the sub boss. I'm hoping Kronika has another unplayable form as the final encounter, somewhat like Corrupted Shinnok.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
During the Sonic Fox vs Rewind exhibition, Rewind performs the float in the corner and does a Superman out of it. I think he has several options out of it. It would be sick if it worked a bit like Spectral Ermac as far as combos, although it looks like the startup might be too slow to work into juggles.
The superman can be delayed and the start-up looks like floating too, so he probably delayed it a bit. That other float looks indeed like Ermac's only he slightly floats forward. Or maybe the player just pressed forward, hard to say.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It’s definitly a different float.

The one in the angry joe video starts with a teleport and is super high up, the one for the Superman is slower and is more of a hover.