What's new

Raiden General Discussion

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
To test if something is safe you can try to set the bot to again do a fast special move because reversal specials come out 1f faster (assuming MK1 blocking still works the same way as previous games). But idk what the fastest move in the game is. You can probably still use EX slide though, if you can block it in time after the TP then you‘re safe
I think Li Mei has a metered reversal which is 7 frames, and thus can punish anything -6 or worse.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Anyone found an use for DB2 (the 9f special that deals no damage)? Also, does his passive do anything more than reduce chip damage? At first I thought maybe it improves db2 somehow

Anyone found an use for DB2 (the 9f special that deals no damage)? Also, does his passive do anything more than reduce chip damage? At first I thought maybe it improves db2 somehow
when you're out of meter you can cancel grounded strings into db2, it's +21 so you get some free pressure. meterburned you can use it to side-switch. its a rather situational tool.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah that would be neat, but currently not loving that the game won't tell me about it at all.
In fact there's no character guides at all outside of shitty combo trials.
On one hand it’s kind of annoying on the other it’s kind of cool to have to figure shit out like the old days. There’s a lot of surprising info popping up already

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
when you're out of meter you can cancel grounded strings into db2, it's +21 so you get some free pressure. meterburned you can use it to side-switch. its a rather situational tool.
Yeah that makes sense but i think I'd rather just use the projectile and squeeze some damage in and still be +7

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
One of the kombo trials makes use of it as a kombo extender on airborne opponents in the air. But still, you can just use a bar for EX shocker and get much more damage

Mahjunia

Noob
It's usefull in the corner, you can followup f224 into db2 and connect 12 or 24 I think into ender

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah that makes sense but i think I'd rather just use the projectile and squeeze some damage in and still be +7
I’ve just been using it like a button. It has a 9 frame start up and good range, +21.

it forces them to eat the b2/f4,3 mixup

it’s unsafe but, I’ve been catching people with it a ton

Mahjunia

Noob
Been testing with Kameo Sektor.

some combos with him:

with meter just amp df2 and then f2 or 4 df2 depending if you are in the corner or not

meterless

f43-bKameo, 34, f34, f2-df2 (341.29 dmg)
f22-bKameo, 34, f34, f2-df2 (342.29 dmg)
2421-bKameo, 34, f3, f2-df2 (367.42 dmg)
2421-normal kameo (call it when u press practically 24 tight timing), df1 (rocket lands when df2 hits), f34, f34, f2-df2 (411.08 dmg)

corner
starter, bKameo, slighty step back, 34, 34 (you can f34 here but timing is tight), 24 (timing is tight but you can 242)-df2

while df2 is being done you can call kameo for the rocket and setup?

Last edited:
Okay so the defensive buff activates when Raiden blocks 55 dmg in chip rather than a set number of hits.
When i first read that comment about that, my first thought was "wouldn't it be great if it's activated automatically based on something". Turns out that's exactly what they did.

I like that they've done this, adds some things that were interesting in MK11, but doesn't overcomplicate the character by making it another special that you have to manually input.

So just a defensive buff on chip? No buffs on normal/specials like MK11?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
When i first read that comment about that, my first thought was "wouldn't it be great if it's activated automatically based on something". Turns out that's exactly what they did.

I like that they've done this, adds some things that were interesting in MK11, but doesn't overcomplicate the character by making it another special that you have to manually input.

So just a defensive buff on chip? No buffs on normal/specials like MK11?
Apparently not, but I hate that this game tells you nothing about the characters and move properties (like this passive isn’t even in the move list and there are no character tutorials)

On one hand it’s kind of annoying on the other it’s kind of cool to have to figure shit out like the old days. There’s a lot of surprising info popping up already
There's always things to discover and discovery is fun, but obscuring unique mechanics is just bad. I really shouldn't have had to sit there counting attacks and adding up chip damage just to figure out how this thing activates. It could still have some secret function for all we know and that's pretty dumb tbh.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
On unrelated note. Is there a way in MK1 to play as the old, Richard Epcar Raiden? Not the asian one

They should fix the online and actually bring back some form of character tutorials first. At least some kind of description of the moves would be nice
the whole thing feels a little rushed, be it the barebones training mode with no move pin, the fact that "friendly rematch" ist the first option after a ranked set again after this was removed in mk11, the wrong framedata in some places... i hope we see a patch soon. but to be honest, even though i like the gameplay and the balance, this already feels like another "18 months of support and done" thing by NRS to me. what would be a shame, because this game deserves better.

the whole thing feels a little rushed, be it the barebones training mode with no move pin, the fact that "friendly rematch" ist the first option after a ranked set again after this was removed in mk11, the wrong framedata in some places... i hope we see a patch soon. but to be honest, even though i like the gameplay and the balance, this already feels like another "18 months of support and done" thing by NRS to me. what would be a shame, because this game deserves better.
As long as WB is in possession of Netherrealm studios, 18 months and done will be the standard. This is why I won't buy the game (even though I want to play this Raiden). Hopefully we will have pros playing him.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I agree it does feel rushed.