What's new

Quitting Smoking

BookBurning

Voidwards
I've been a smoker now since the age of 16. I'm 21 now going on 22 and am curious if anyone here on TYM has effectively quit.

If you did, anyone have any advice? I'm trying to but a lack of nicotine puts me in a pretty bad depressive state.

yeah e-cigs help a lot. If you're in the states you can get nicotine cartridges for them too which end up costing a bit less than actual cigarettes. They also give off little to no scent, and are not a tobacco product so you can "technically" smoke them anywhere.

I personally think all the nicorette products are shit.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I smoked from about 16 to 22, as well. I started again a while back for about 2 months but stopped again cold turkey. What I've found works the best for me is, to replace the cigarette with something else. You've gotta still give yourself a reward, since that's the mental connection with the cigarette which will cause your mood drops.

Some people use altoids, gum, or candy also since those can be substitute as an oral fixation. I just substituted my cigarettes for hot chocolate, mints, candy or gum for a few weeks and I eventually stopped even thinking about smoking. Once you get to those 3 weeks or so, you'll start feeling much better and you'll start noticing the smell on your clothes which will help deter you from picking it back up in the future.

When I started again, for a few months, I was working in a restaurant; so I used the smoke break as essentially a way to go outside and get away from the drama/stress temporarily without being bothered. So, just make attempts to avoid said situations, if at all possible, or bring along something to use as a stress reliever.

The hot chocolate worked best when I was stressed and wanted to go outside on my porch, the mints worked best when I wanted to emulate smoking by breathing in the mints through my mouth, the gum worked when I just needed a quick fix oral fixation substitute. You can also substitute popsicles and so forth since the summer's coming up. Toothpicks also work for some people, as well.

My vice however, is if I'm drinking, it's hard to deny a cigarette. It just goes together so well. I have had one here and there when drinking but didn't crave one the day after. I also don't drink often, generally only socially. Ideally, you should just stop completely but I don't think it's the end of the world if you have a few on occasion like that, just avoid buying your own packs. If you have roommates/friends who actively smoke, try to avoid hanging out with them until you've hit that point where the smell bothers you, otherwise it'll make it increasingly difficult to quit.

If you want to quit, you'll quit. Get some gum/mints and hit the lab or stick to other activities which involve BOTH hands; I smoked like a damn chimney when I played WoW because hey...90% of the time I was idle doing nothing and I'd get bored.

I quit smoking for a week and it got worse everyday. I felt like shit and couldnt concentrate and it kept getting worse and worse. 3 am one night I drove to the store and bought a carton. Since that Ive accepted that cigarettes will probably be the death of me someday as I never have any plans of quitting again. I quit smoking weed and drinking which were two things that I did everyday but were destroying my life. Was easy compared to cigarettes. Is probably different for me though because I like smoking so much and even if they werent addicting I would still smoke. Plus I smoke 2+ packs a day so that might have contributed to the difficulty in quitting. I know a lot of people who quit so obviously its a doable thing for most people. Not me though...

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I quit smoking for a week and it got worse everyday.
The first few weeks are the hardest, you just have to endure it. I smoked around a pack a day. I changed my attitude about it though and stopped telling myself that I NEED to smoke. Tobacco and alcohol are certainly bad for you, well processed tobacco filled with rat poison and formaldehyde anyways. Marijuana if you're using it medicinally isn't bad for you at all in retrospect.

You'll never develop chronic health problems due to pot, might gain a few pounds from the munchies though and slightly lower aspirations towards life, that's the worst of it! :)

I started smoking when i was 13~ (now 27) and quit smoking about a month ago. I didn't use any patches or anything but what I did do was quit drinking booze (only temporary!) too as for me personally they go hand in hand.

I had a real bad cough for a while and stomach cramps like never before but it all seems to have passed now and I am pretty much free of cravings. Stick with it and stay occupied! Whenever you USED to smoke before you need to replace it with something else.

BookBurning

Voidwards
I quit smoking for a week and it got worse everyday. I felt like shit and couldnt concentrate and it kept getting worse and worse. 3 am one night I drove to the store and bought a carton. Since that Ive accepted that cigarettes will probably be the death of me someday as I never have any plans of quitting again. I quit smoking weed and drinking which were two things that I did everyday but were destroying my life. Was easy compared to cigarettes. Is probably different for me though because I like smoking so much and even if they werent addicting I would still smoke. Plus I smoke 2+ packs a day so that might have contributed to the difficulty in quitting. I know a lot of people who quit so obviously its a doable thing for most people. Not me though...
Thanks for the inspiring tips FlsGDd.

That sounds pretty rough man :(

McNasty

Moist.
A big thing is who your around and where you are. I never considered myself a smoker when I live in washington state only on occasion when I drank mostly. Since I moved to las vegas which allows smoking indoors and is pretty much a mecca for drinking its increased to the point now that ive had to remind myself to stop and think before doing it. So depending on where you are if you want to quit id recommend not going to your favorite dive bar or what have you if you truly want to stay on a path of quitting.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I cannot imagine my life without it...getting up in the morning with hot espresso and a smoke on the balcony...without that my whole day is a mess and my existence meaningless...

I'd make a bet on that, but it would be unlikely I could collect.
The only way you will collect is if I send you the cash from the afterlife... :-D

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Hey
I smoked from 12 - 26. I tried to quit heaps of times but gave up each time due to frustration. I recently took it up again after 5 years off it and I have quit again after a few months. Both times I used patches - they are really good. You don't have the craving as much so that you can just deal with the habit. One thing I strongly recommend is to change your routine. eg I used to have a smoke as soon as I came home from work so instead I would go straight to my room and put on a DVD of some 30 minute comedy show or I would go to the gym at lunch instead of after work. Fill your day with other stuff and it will help you heaps.

Good luck!!!

I wont quit no matter what....
You can't smoke when you are dead.

I smoke occasioanlly, kind of how I drink occasionally. I have a bad habit of getting stuck in bad behaviours though, so I'm monitoring my usage pretty strictly.
I think having a substitude is better then cold turkey, since it is not just a nicotine thing.

Eternal

Noob
I started smoking about a pack a day everyday from the age of 14 to 25, thats 11 years of smoking weed and cigs everyday.. It has fucked my throat up so bad that I got scared and quit smoking everything last year... What I id was smoke less and less until I got down to a few cigs a day, then I started only smoking have a cig every 5 hours. I got down to I think 3 cigs a day before I just quit cold turkey and never looked back...It was hard but that was a year ago and I no longer have cravings.. You need to change how you LIVE... This means dealing with not smoking as soon as you wake, on the drive to work, on breaks, after eating, after sex ect.. Deal with the feeling of not smoking

Its all fun and games until you get cancer and have to have your voice box removed or worse, DIE.... Us youngsters treat our body's like shit and most of us will pay for it when we get older and start getting sick.. I sound like some boring 50 year old man but what I say is true....Smoking cigs is a crutch to help deal with our weaknesses....Fuck being weak and fuck smoking

AC1984

Kaballin!
pack per day is a lot...I would smoke no more than 6-7 cigs per day and around 14-15 if I'm out at a pub.

I quit smoking about 2 months ago now cold turkey. I had been smoking for almost 8 years. The way I managed to quit cold turkey was looking at the hard consequences, my relative a lifelong smoker becoming ill due to smoking was all it took. I haven't touched a cigarette once and I live in a house with all smokers.

Well the more you guys wait the tougher it's gonna be to stop smoking.

People don't seem to realize just how bad it can control your life. Sure when you're a teenager you don't care about your health, heck you think you're immortal and that bad things only happens in movies or to other people. You just smoke cuz it's cool and because you wanna be a part of a group. But eventually you become addicted. You become a slave to it. And before you know it, you're dying at 35 when you could've lived up to 80.

It's completely irrational to smoke. I mean think about it, you're paying money for a product that's gonna make you dependant, weak, stressful, smell like shit and possibly get lung cancer. How dumb you gotta be to buy that DLC.

Quitting is easy if you WANT to quit. If you don't want to then you will fail. Prove me wrong.

I was a heavy smoker for many years. Then the thought "I have one life to live, why intentionally shorten it?" Guilt took over and I quit. I start back up every now and then, but after a few weeks/months guilt comes back.

Even if you don't get cancer/heart failure, smoking will still shorten your life. You may say "oh I know ppl that lived to be in their 80's who smoked" But if they didn't chances are they could have seen their 90's +. One life to live, after it's over you never get a second chance. Why shorten it?

The craving never go away btw. They get less frequent, but be prepared to fight them off the rest of your life.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
If you quit don't make the same mistake i made:

After i quit and 1 1/2 years of not smoking i thought, i could smoke every once in a while.
After that i smoke more cigarrettes a day than before quitting, way more.

JrK

Probably Drunk
I quit with patches. They help a ton.

Try to surround yourself with other non smokers. It makes a big difference. Fill the void where you're normally smoking with something better.

smoked from 12 1/2 to 17 1/2 and i quit because i played world of warcraft and i chew. so i just avoided the whole needing to go outside to smoke and i told myself i was only gonnna smoke bud because my girlfriend is about to lose her aunt to cancer. i have not smoked a cigaretter in going on 7 months!