What's new

Questions about the MK lore!

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I agree, his post is like 600lbs fat woman's ass which covers every inch of family size couch. You better save his post on 400gb hard drive and send to NRS in reinforced steel box so they can lock it up in shinnok's amulet. 500 years from now this whole world will be full of autism but don't worry people will develop telepathy and when they discover the hard drive they will be thanking you not him. Your words are full of wisdom would read your post to my children as bedtime story.
Well this thread has taken an odd turn...

Charybdis

1. And Shao Kahn was one of Onaga generals before he poisons him and took control. Kahn is a sorcerer not a god.
As per MKD Konquest: "Shao Kahn was an advisor to Onaga, much like Raiden is to Earthrealm's heroes".

Shao Kahn is also said to be the same race as Raiden in MKD.

The story is that Onaga rose to become Emperor and Shao was his advisor. However, because Shao is stated to be the same race as Raiden (God) and his role in relation to Onaga is compared to the role Raiden has to the Earthrealm champions, I contend we can presume Shao Kahn was once an Outworld God who poisoned Onaga to kill him. The Elder Gods copped this, stripped him of his Godhood (or maybe he renounced it himself) and he then proclaimed himself Emperor. This would explain the fact that he seems to be the only being in the Universe, prior to Scorpion in MKA, who openly scorns the Elder Gods and Gods in general. He dismisses Shinnok as a threat in MKA and openly mocks Raiden and the Elder Gods repeatedly.

I'd love to address the rest of your post but I have no idea what on Earth you're trying to say. I presume English isn't your first language, so I apologize for that but it looks as though it's the interpretation of Scorpion's story in the Kittelson comics mixed with the plot of MKM. In which case you've got it close enough, though the Lin Kuei were hired for the MK tournament by Quan Chi. He knew Sub Zero betrayed him in MKM and so resurrected Scorpion to kill him, hiring the Lin Kuei to assassinate Shang to ensure that Sub would be at the tournament.

It's important to note, however, that Scorpion is very much of the Netherrealm. He leaves of his own volition to hunt the Sub Zero brothers and then makes a deal with Shao in UMK3 that he will be free from Hell if he serves him, but then he sees Kuai Liang on the other side and changes allegiances as he's sworn himself to protect Kuai to atone for killing Bi Han (see this NRS? When you had actual character development?)

It's explicitly mentioned in MKDA and MKD that Scorpion is a denizen of the Netherrealm and draws power from merely being in the Netherrealm. I don't really understand why you claim he isn't of the Netherrealm when he's most patently a 'ninja spectre', but again I presume English isn't your first language so that's cool

2. He killed the Great Kung Lao, helped Shao conquer Kotal's people and was unbeaten in Mortal Kombat for 450 years. He's a pretty big deal but people are mistaken in thinking he killed Cage in any canon or that Cage killed him. It's a franchise in-joke that Johnny dies in every game but he survived from MK1-MK2. If he died in MK1, he'd have to be revived for MK2 and the first character to return from the dead in the original timeline was Mileena. She was killed by Kitana in MK2 and resurrected to serve Shao while actually serving Shinnok in UMK3.
Actually, excluding Scorpion since he was already undead at the start of Mortal Kombat (1992), Noob Saibot was the first character to return from the dead. He was in Mortal Kombat II while Mileena was still alive, though we didn't know Noob was Bai Han until Mortal Kombat: Deception.

And according to some latest tweets from NRS employees Mythologies stuff never happened in this new timeline which MK9 started. That doesn't make sense of course as it was before the MK1 tournament, but hey it is their game, they make the rules )))
Didn't know Mortal Kombat Mythologies was no longer cannon in the new timeline. Link to those tweets?

Even in Mortal Kombat (2011) though, the new timeline has stuff that Dark Raiden sending his memories back couldn't alter; like the Lin Quei being in the first tournament helping Shang Tsung, and Mileena being a new clone instead of growing up with Kitana, etc.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK Mythologies is still canon, which NRS employee said this? Unless it's Shawn Kittelsen or Vogel I don't buy it, because MKM happened BEFORE MK 9 MK 1, 2 and 3 tourneys...and Raiden even admitted himself referencing after Scorpion killed Sub-Zero/Bi-Han "A shame, he once protected Earthrealm from the forces of Shinnok and Quan Chi" so MKM is canon.

The discussion regarding Noob-Saibot, it was always Bi-Han but the MK writers never established this until MK Deception-now.

1. Johnny has powers because genetics. He belongs to master race. Liu kang was trained by Raiden and learned to harness chi.

2. Goro is indeed jobber, prince is just a title. Do you know who else is prince? yeah you guessed it right, Rain.

3. If its your story chapter then you are the most powerful. Though Angry Raiden would body pretty much everyone in MK.

4. oh the memories but that's not why he was banned.

5. Liu kang is in love with Raiden but Raiden doesn't love him, he loves Johnny cage and Johnny cage is straight.

6. They are evil, they don't even give Raiden his salary and you thought your boss was cruel.

7. Sub-zero, the answer is always sub-zero.
You're right, I was banned (that was like over 5 years ago btw from that site) for actually telling off an ignorant troll, ask @Onilordasmodeus he'd agree and knows all about the many MK haters on CV. That won't work on here though, I dare nick to try that shit here he'll get destroyed with is ridiculous claims like "Batman can oneshot Sub-Zero" lol

1. Why can human characters like Johnny Cage and Liu Kang cast magical attacks and survive high impact damage like falling out of choppers? Has that ever been explained, or do they simply live in a world, where people can have special abilities (superpowers)?

2. How big of a deal is "Prince" Goro? The comic is overhyping him as hell and so was the MK movie, but to me Goro always looked like a jobber (someone, who is there to lose to other characters, so that they end up looking good).

3. Who is the most powerful being in the MK universe and what are some of his / hers capabilities?

4. How powerful is Raiden? I remember MKFAN30 getting banned from Comicvine, because he was aggressively claiming, that Raiden could beat Thor in a fight, which I don't see happening at all.

5. Is Liu Kang + Kitana actually a thing, or was that just in the movies and a little bit hinted at in MK9?

6. What's the reason that Raiden's bosses can't simply help him out, when he needs their help against Shao Khan? Why does he always have to participate in convoluted tournaments instead?

7. Who is the better warrior: Scorpion or Sub-Zero? In the trailers Scorpion always wins, but didn't the first Sub-Zero straight up kill Scorpion in a fight? And then Scorpion got a power upgrade and returned the favour, but then again lost to that first Sub-Zero's brother in a straight up fight?

Thanks!

1. MK characters are vastly underrated, I see it in battle topics all the time and people who think "MK characters are normal humans" this is FAR from true. They're metahumans and VERY, VERY strong and extremely DURABLE. All powers aside, this is just a fact about MK characters. But take Cage vs. Scorpion in the chopper for example, that fall would kill most people or break a lot of bones even someone as "Batman" or Daredevil who are peak human would have been hurt from that, that on top of Cage's inner chi power which seems to amp him and protect him. Even though he didn't channel it in that situations, it's just a great example of MK character's durability.
The latest comic for example Scorpion impales Sub-Zero and isn't even effected then Sub kicks Scorpion's ass, nearly KO's him out and freezes him and Takeda.....

Cage is also descendant of a powerful metahuman breed of magical warriors with inner chi energy thus amping them. He's not a normal "human" like most comic book fans think. Nor is LK.

There's many more examples, when Ermac jobbered against Stryker, prior to that in MK 9 he tossed Stryker down a subway stairs, onto concreate from street level that would have broken a ton of bones if not killed someone...yet he was fine.

Shao Kahn tanking LK's death punch, though QC helped heal him he still survived the punch himself.

Can go on but I'm sure you get the point.

2. I do think they overhype him, but to be fair his best feats are winning for 500 years with 9 MK titles under his belt and beating the great ancient Kung Lao who was one of Earthrealm's best fighters historically. That and killing and beating tons of other great warriors of time and The Osh-Tekk(Kotal Kahn's people and his father, Goro recently killed with ease)

3. Most powerful being in MKU are the Elder Gods and The One Being, they're both omnipotent and forever though I'd say the EG are more powerful since they defeated the OB then trapped it's essense within the Kamidogu, then created the realms from it's shattered body eons ago. The EG are pretty much the God of MKU more or less. They can do anything.

4. Like I said years ago on CV, the normal Raiden is limited in power but still immortal. EG Raiden anyone here who knows MK lore knows he'd destroy Thor flat out. The normal versions Thor would probably have the edge, though Raiden would just keep coming back. EG Raiden destroys Thor though. BTW, I didn't get banned for arguing on behalf of Raiden it was for cursing out that known troll nick hero, who @Onilordasmodeus could also attest to.

5. Yes, not just from the movies but in the canon they kind of like each other and have a connection as we saw more so in MK 9 and MK X.

6. The EG can't help Raiden out because it's their choice, they're of much higher power and take a neutral stance on everything. The only time they will aid Raiden as if it serves their purpose or if they're feeling generous, normally Raiden would destroy Shao Kahn however due to yet another rule of Raiden's limitations he's weaker/powers are compromised in Outworld or if OW merges with Earthrealm....he even states this in MK 9. If it was fair play in say Zaterra or Earthrealm Raiden vs. Kahn, Raiden would destroy him. Raiden was also jobbing bigtime in end of MK 9 relying on the EG to intervene which they did and vaporized Shao Kahn before going back to the heavens and then restoring the realms seconds later. Raiden being a powerful immortal Thunder God also has rules to abide by, he can't even fight in MK tourneys unless directly challenged and has to take a "human form" for fairness.

7. Depends which version of Sub-Zero.

Scorpion/Hanzo vs. Bi-Han Sub-Zero, Bi Han killed normal Hanzo Hasashi without powers but then in Mythologies, Sub-Zero beat Scorpion in Netherrealm before getting the amulet back for Raiden in Netherrealm taking on Quan Chi and Shinnok's forces. Then Scorpion vs. Bi-Han Sub-Zero in the first MK tournament, Scorpion defeated him then killed him wrongfully but beat him none the less. Then Kuai Liang aka Tundra aka Second Sub-Zero and more powerful arguably, beat Scorpion in the second MK 2 tournament was about to kill him again but was zapped from behind by cyber ninjas taken unaware.

To sum it up, Sub-Zero/Kuai Liang beat Scorpion. Scorpion is Ed Boon's fav character so in promos, Scorpion always kills or beats Sub-Zero but in the canon Sub-Zero has actually beaten Scorpion more often than not. Currently in the comics, HIGH LIGHT to see
if you read today Sub was beating the hell out of Scorpion and froze him though to be fair that's with the kamidogu which amps him and now the fight is continuing but Takeda took away the kamidogu during Sub's fight with Scorpion, so now it's like MK 2 tournament again normal powered Kuai Liang-Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion. So far though it's clear Sub-Zero is winning.

Both are badass characters though for the record.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Charybdis

Actually, excluding Scorpion since he was already undead at the start of Mortal Kombat (1992), Noob Saibot was the first character to return from the dead. He was in Mortal Kombat II while Mileena was still alive, though we didn't know Noob was Bai Han until Mortal Kombat: Deception.
Oh yeah I forgot Noob was a secret fight in MK2

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Iirc liu kang was trained by bo rai cho not raiden
He was trained by the Shaolin, then further trained by Bo Rai Cho. Raiden was his mentor through all / most of his training. How much of a role Raiden actually played is unclear, but he probably gave him a bunch of insight into the inner workings of the tournament, the gods, and other "other worldly" understandings.

I do find it pretty interesting that Raiden explicitly states that liu and kung "were like sons" as I never thought they were that close, but maybe that's a clue as to how much of a role he did actually play.

6. The EG can't help Raiden out because it's their choice, they're of much higher power and take a neutral stance on everything. The only time they will aid Raiden as if it serves their purpose or if they're feeling generous, normally Raiden would destroy Shao Kahn however due to yet another rule of Raiden's limitations he's weaker/powers are compromised in Outworld or if OW merges with Earthrealm....he even states this in MK 9. If it was fair play in say Zaterra or Earthrealm Raiden vs. Kahn, Raiden would destroy him. Raiden was also jobbing bigtime in end of MK 9 relying on the EG to intervene which they did and vaporized Shao Kahn before going back to the heavens and then restoring the realms seconds later. Raiden being a powerful immortal Thunder God also has rules to abide by, he can't even fight in MK tourneys unless directly challenged and has to take a "human form" for fairness.
I know Ed Boon has stated that normally, Shao Khan is the top of the Mortal Kombat food chain (no link, but I recall him saying this when promoting Mortal Kombat (2011) years back), so I don't think Raiden could top him in the new timeline.

Remember, in the new story he isn't an Elder God yet (Raiden), but the God of Thunder and a servant of the Elder Gods. In the original timeline he became an Elder God after the events of Mortal Kombat Trilogy (or was it after Mortal Kombat Gold, it's been a bit), and then of course he became "Dark Raiden" and was killed by Shao Khan wielding the power of Blaze. Shao Khan won, and proved he was the mightiest warrior in the history of ever, thus forcing Dark Raiden to send his memories to his original past self to change things.

In the new timeline, when Shao invaded EarthRealm, Raiden didn't turn into some kind of elemental form and crush him, he begged the Elder Gods to intervene and then tried to make a deal with Quan Chi out of desperation. Raiden believed Shao had broken the rules by that point, so there was nothing stopping him from going all elemental, but he didn't. Which means realistically Shao Khan > Raiden.

He needed to be empowered by The Elder Gods to stop Shao.

Which worked, but at a cost.

MKF30

I know Ed Boon has stated that normally, Shao Khan is the top of the Mortal Kombat food chain (no link, but I recall him saying this when promoting Mortal Kombat (2011) years back), so I don't think Raiden could top him in the new timeline.

Remember, in the new story he isn't an Elder God yet (Raiden), but the God of Thunder and a servant of the Elder Gods. In the original timeline he became an Elder God after the events of Mortal Kombat Trilogy (or was it after Mortal Kombat Gold, it's been a bit), and then of course he became "Dark Raiden" and was killed by Shao Khan wielding the power of Blaze. Shao Khan won, and proved he was the mightiest warrior in the history of ever, thus forcing Dark Raiden to send his memories to his original past self to change things.

In the new timeline, when Shao invaded EarthRealm, Raiden didn't turn into some kind of elemental form and crush him, he begged the Elder Gods to intervene and then tried to make a deal with Quan Chi out of desperation. Raiden believed Shao had broken the rules by that point, so there was nothing stopping him from going all elemental, but he didn't. Which means realistically Shao Khan > Raiden.

He needed to be empowered by The Elder Gods to stop Shao.

Which worked, but at a cost.
Raiden could stop Shao Kahn in fair setting, he beat Shinnok a few times(Shinnok is way more powerful than Shao Kahn) I think Raiden could take him, plus they tend to jobber Raiden against Shao Kahn a lot of late why I don't know, he didn't even try fighting in the end of MK9....

When Boon said top of the food chain, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he just meant the head bad guy of MK known to most fans. Not necessarily the most "powerful" however.

Yeah, Raiden most of the time is just normal Raiden who works with and for the Elder Gods much like Fujin. But just pointing out he's been more powerful in the mythos original timeline he became an Elder God, then relinquished it himself to help the mortals directly(since Elder Gods take no bias) Then end of MK 9 he was more or less possessed and amped by the EG's which healed him, defeated Shao Kahn swiftly then they extracted from Raiden and destroyed Kahn. Then he becomes Dark Raiden after he blew himself up and killed Shang Tsung and Quan Chi in Deception's timeline. But yes, that's why MK 9 was time travel because since Shao Kahn had killed Blaze and took his power in the canon anyone who defeated and killed Blaze canonically was granted unlimited power to do whatever they chose. Kahn's case killed everyone else remaining and merged the realms with a thought, before supposedly killing Raiden, Raiden used his powers to use time travel visions to his past self to thus alter and change, prevent armageddon which he did. But at a cost.

That's why I had said the only reason end of MK 9 why Raiden was struggling was because Kahn was merging OW with Earthrealm, he had also absorbed millions of souls from Earthrealm and amped his powers. Normally though if Raiden vs. Shao Kahn no power compromises, silly rules etc I'm pretty sure Raiden would destroy Shao Kahn considering he's beaten Shinnok a few times. Once centuries ago, then in MK 4/MKX timeline etc Shinnok is a Fallen Elder God and ruler of the Netherrealm/hell, who he also took out Lucifer during that time. The MK 4 canon comic confirms that, but the games never touched on it much but it's more or less how he became ruler of Netherrealm...

So overall Raiden>>>>>Shao Kahn, both at their most powerful EG Raiden would stomp Shao Kahn. That and centuries ago during the fight with Shinnok, Raiden literally nearly destroyed Earthrealm with his power defeating Shinnok the first time. That alone and banishing Shinnok is much better feat then Shao Kahn's feats.

MKF30

LK is cool, but one thing I noticed sometimes people overlook is this.

In MK, LK messed up Shao Kahn, nearly kills him. Yet Raiden jobbers to Shao Kahn, yet Raiden easily kills LK without hardly doing anything...

So I'd say overall Raiden>>>>LK>>>>Shao Kahn

But story logic to "make things interesting" Shao Kahn>>Raiden>>>LK

@MKF30 Yes, Boon might have meant that, hard to say. I agree that Shinnok is likely more powerful than Shao Khan, but keep in mind Shinnok was masterminding the events behind Mortal Kombat (2011), with the intention of bolstering his forces with the souls of dead champions and intending to see both Raiden and Shao Khan dead prior to his own pending attack.

This means that he considered Shao Khan a serious threat, one he'd rather remove through deception than direct confrontation, so that says something.

And in the original time line, I believe Raiden always defeated Shinnok (twice) with the aid of others, gods and mortals alike, and never solo. I don't think Raiden could take Shinnok one on one, just like I'm confident he can't with Shao Khan.

Another thing to keep in mind is the original time line ended with the intro to Mortal Kombat (2011), and we're now in a new timeline where NetherRealm Studios has changed story elements that memories going back in time couldn't change, so not everything from the old time line applies any more. The following has minor spoilers from Mortal Kombat X's story mode, Chapter 1. Don't know if you've watched the video from IGN where they show the full chapter and I don't want to ruin anything for you if you haven't:

Even if Raiden could beat Shinnok one on one in the original, he can't in the revised time line. Shinnok nearly trapped both him and Fujin in his amulet, and would have if Johnny, Kenshi, and Sonya hadn't intervened.

I actually just watched most of the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 sections of Mortal Kombat (2011) to refresh my memory since it's been a few years, and Shao's invasion of Earthrealm was quite different (and far less successful in my opinion) than the original timeline. In the new timeline, he did _not_ catpure all of EarthRealm's souls and power himself up, he didn't bring his fortress into the heart of a downtown US city, and there was still a lot of resistance to him. He was stronger in the original timeline than in the reboot here, and still Raiden had to try and get the Elder Gods to intervene, and then try to ally with the NetherRealm for aid. If he could take Shao himself, he wouldn't have had to do those desperate things.

In the current timeline, I suspect it's Shinnok>Shao Khan>Raiden, honestly. We'll of course see what happens in Mortal Kombat X in just over a week!

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Which, when you think about, makes Liu Kang a fucking badass
This times a-fucking 1000.

Liu is so underrated as a character because people don't understand the gravity of what goes on in MK as a whole. People look at liu's surface and see a Bruce Lee knock who gobbles like a turkey, not realizing how ridiculous this guy really is.

Liu isn't my favorite character, but he's up there...mostly because of just how badass he really is.

MKF30

@MKF30 Yes, Boon might have meant that, hard to say. I agree that Shinnok is likely more powerful than Shao Khan, but keep in mind Shinnok was masterminding the events behind Mortal Kombat (2011), with the intention of bolstering his forces with the souls of dead champions and intending to see both Raiden and Shao Khan dead prior to his own pending attack.

This means that he considered Shao Khan a serious threat, one he'd rather remove through deception than direct confrontation, so that says something.

And in the original time line, I believe Raiden always defeated Shinnok (twice) with the aid of others, gods and mortals alike, and never solo. I don't think Raiden could take Shinnok one on one, just like I'm confident he can't with Shao Khan.

Another thing to keep in mind is the original time line ended with the intro to Mortal Kombat (2011), and we're now in a new timeline where NetherRealm Studios has changed story elements that memories going back in time couldn't change, so not everything from the old time line applies any more. The following has minor spoilers from Mortal Kombat X's story mode, Chapter 1. Don't know if you've watched the video from IGN where they show the full chapter and I don't want to ruin anything for you if you haven't:

Even if Raiden could beat Shinnok one on one in the original, he can't in the revised time line. Shinnok nearly trapped both him and Fujin in his amulet, and would have if Johnny, Kenshi, and Sonya hadn't intervened.

I actually just watched most of the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 sections of Mortal Kombat (2011) to refresh my memory since it's been a few years, and Shao's invasion of Earthrealm was quite different (and far less successful in my opinion) than the original timeline. In the new timeline, he did _not_ catpure all of EarthRealm's souls and power himself up, he didn't bring his fortress into the heart of a downtown US city, and there was still a lot of resistance to him. He was stronger in the original timeline than in the reboot here, and still Raiden had to try and get the Elder Gods to intervene, and then try to ally with the NetherRealm for aid. If he could take Shao himself, he wouldn't have had to do those desperate things.

In the current timeline, I suspect it's Shinnok>Shao Khan>Raiden, honestly. We'll of course see what happens in Mortal Kombat X in just over a week!

Well to be fair nobody can beat Shinnok when he has that Amulet, except the Elder Gods. The Amulet itself can't be destroyed it's an ancient, powerful artifact. That's in all timelines since Shinnok has always had it.

Yeah I know, but that should also alone prove that Shinnok underestimated Raiden and how powerful he is which in a way is surprising because Raiden beat him centuries ago....

Shao Kahn is just an angry child with some powers compared to Raiden IMO, who is a lot wiser, smarter then Shao Kahn. Notice how impatient Kahn got when he lost fairly to LK in Mortal Kombat so he said "fuck it, invasion!" after Quan Chi so easily convinced him/fooled him.

I think Raiden can take Shinnok on one on so long as Shinnok doesn't have the amulet, anyone who has that amulet is a threat. Notice Raiden sucked him into it the same way Shinnok tried sucking Raiden and Fujin into it before Cage knocked it out of his hands from behind. Ahh the key word is NEARLY, not DID. Raiden trapped Shinnok and he and Fujin alone took out an army of demons from Netherrealm, undead heroes and Fujin oneshotted with a kick QC while Shinnok was fighting Raiden, Fujin and Cage. Without the amulet even Cage can fight him, Raiden is obviously way past Cage so I'm sure Raiden could beat Shinnok if Cage can hold his own at least without the amulet. Then Raiden trapped Shinnok in it beating him. Then there's the plot in MKX which if you're not aware I won't spoil anything if you'd like I can IM you with details. Let's just say you'll change your view I think once you play MK X ;)

Take that amulet away and Raiden can beat Shinnok. Not saying it'll be easy but Raiden has done it before.

Shinnok's power>>>>>>Shao Kahn

Raiden>>>Shao Kahn(normal circumstances)

Merged Realm or OW Shao Kahn vs. Raiden, Shao Kahn>>>Raiden

MKA Shao Kahn>>>>>Raiden

EG Raiden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any version of Shao Kahn

Raiden in fair setting can beat Kahn or Shinnok, but remember Raiden is weaker in OW or if OW merges with Earthrealm...otherwise I'd say he's more powerful than Shao Kahn especially if LK can beat him, yet Raiden killed LK easily without hardly doing anything so I think there's that to consider too you know?

New timeline I'd say Raiden and Shao Kahn are around even, unless in Earthrealm then Raiden stomps him or of course if EG Raiden vs. any version of Kahn then Raiden wins. Raiden has beaten Shinnok more times than not so I'd say

Raiden>>Shao Kahn>>>>>>>>>>>Shinnok as far as canon is concerned. One other thing I forgot Raiden seems to get new powers as time goes on, example MK 9 he had power to heal, power to use time travel visions change the future, in the MKX comic he can show visions via his powers in a holographic way etc, etc

But we can disagree no biggy.

Well to be fair nobody can beat Shinnok when he has that Amulet, except the Elder Gods. The Amulet itself can't be destroyed it's an ancient, powerful artifact. That's in all timelines since Shinnok has always had it.

Yeah I know, but that should also alone prove that Shinnok underestimated Raiden and how powerful he is which in a way is surprising because Raiden beat him centuries ago....

Shao Kahn is just an angry child with some powers compared to Raiden IMO, who is a lot wiser, smarter then Shao Kahn. Notice how impatient Kahn got when he lost fairly to LK in Mortal Kombat so he said "fuck it, invasion!" after Quan Chi so easily convinced him/fooled him.

I think Raiden can take Shinnok on one on so long as Shinnok doesn't have the amulet, anyone who has that amulet is a threat. Notice Raiden sucked him into it the same way Shinnok tried sucking Raiden and Fujin into it before Cage knocked it out of his hands from behind. Ahh the key word is NEARLY, not DID. Raiden trapped Shinnok and he and Fujin alone took out an army of demons from Netherrealm, undead heroes and Fujin oneshotted with a kick QC while Shinnok was fighting Raiden, Fujin and Cage. Without the amulet even Cage can fight him, Raiden is obviously way past Cage so I'm sure Raiden could beat Shinnok if Cage can hold his own at least without the amulet. Then Raiden trapped Shinnok in it beating him. Then there's the plot in MKX which if you're not aware I won't spoil anything if you'd like I can IM you with details. Let's just say you'll change your view I think once you play MK X ;)

Take that amulet away and Raiden can beat Shinnok. Not saying it'll be easy but Raiden has done it before.

Shinnok's power>>>>>>Shao Kahn

Raiden>>>Shao Kahn(normal circumstances)

Merged Realm or OW Shao Kahn vs. Raiden, Shao Kahn>>>Raiden

MKA Shao Kahn>>>>>Raiden

EG Raiden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any version of Shao Kahn

Raiden in fair setting can beat Kahn or Shinnok, but remember Raiden is weaker in OW or if OW merges with Earthrealm...otherwise I'd say he's more powerful than Shao Kahn especially if LK can beat him, yet Raiden killed LK easily without hardly doing anything so I think there's that to consider too you know?

New timeline I'd say Raiden and Shao Kahn are around even, unless in Earthrealm then Raiden stomps him or of course if EG Raiden vs. any version of Kahn then Raiden wins. Raiden has beaten Shinnok more times than not so I'd say

Raiden>>Shao Kahn>>>>>>>>>>>Shinnok as far as canon is concerned. One other thing I forgot Raiden seems to get new powers as time goes on, example MK 9 he had power to heal, power to use time travel visions change the future, in the MKX comic he can show visions via his powers in a holographic way etc, etc

But we can disagree no biggy.

No spoilers beyond Chapter 1 of Mortal Kombat X's story mode please; I'm really looking forward to enjoying the story on the 14th!

And yeah, I think we'll need to agree to disagree, as I still think Shao Khan can tromp Raiden, but as you said, that's no biggy. We both love the franchise and that's the important thing!

I wouldn't call Shao Khan an angry child, that's more Mileena in Mortal Kombat (2011) (and from the previews, it looks like the character is maturing for Mortal Kombat X, which I like since she's one of my favourties), I'd call him arrogant and overconfident. It's those traits that Shinnok, through Quan Chi, manipulated to Shao's undoing.

Even though Liu Kang and Shang Tsung have often been portrayed as rivals in the original timeline, I've always viewed things as Raiden and Shang Tsung being more counterparts and equals of opposing sides as they're both powerful beings that use others for direct intervention and organize and plan on the behalf of greater powers. I see Liu Kang and Goro being more opposites as the Champions of Realms, and Shao Khan being a rival to, but not as powerful as the Elder Gods.

I also haven't read the Mortal Kombat X comics yet, though I've kept up with some of the story. I have the graphic novel compilation on pre-order and should get it a week-ish after Mortal Kombat X launches. Looking forward to that too!

Shad

Magnificent ninja hairspray
@Shad how'd I do? Might need Razor's corrections
You're more or less spot on dude. Mad props. :D

To the OP, if Goro doesn't seem like a big deal in recent games, it's because MK9's Story mode did a terrible, bad job of establishing him and most of Kahn's goons as credible threats ( or even establishing who could beat who in a fight - I like Smoke as much as the next guy, but having him beat Shang Tsung and Kano one after another is beyond dumb, for example). This is a guy who nearly helped Outworld win the tournaments and killed the original Kung Lao when Shang Tsung couldn't do it.

Also, strongest is a relative term. This ain't Dragonball, bad idea to try and break it down and place people explicitly . There are levels - dare I say tiers - of strength, but nothing's absolute. Like for example, Kintaro is considered stronger and faster than Goro, but that doesn't mean he's more experienced; Goro very well could take him in a fight; There's a reason the Prince is the Kuatan champion.

In terms of overall levels of power and ability - theoretically - I'd roughly put the Earthrealm gods, Kahn, Onaga, Shinnok, etc. on the top level, extremely skilled primary protagonists and antagonists like Liu Kang, Quan, Shang, the Shokan and most sub-bosses on a second level, pretty much everyone else at a third, then probably comes Mokap in a tier all his own. :p Doesn't mean people from levels below can't take people from levels above, though. Noob killed Goro by stabbing him in the back.

Now I shall continue to run away from boards for the next week because motherfuckers out there have the game and I ain't having spoilers. :D