What's new

QUANculations: The Math of Quan pt 2. (100% Rune Traps)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Welcome back to TYM everyone!!

What better way to come home than by celebrating your return with "QUANculations: The Math of Quan part 2." The ultimate culmination of a year's work with Quan Chi.

Here we're looking at the exact calcuations of 100% Rune Trap setups from combo launchers. 7 different options that end in precisely 100%, requiring LESS than 2 bars in many situations. I spent many days with the calculator and training mode to make sure that the damage in these set ups is calculated and executed in such way as to minimize numbers of escape opportunities, repetitive attacks, and unnecessary excesses of meter.

So kick back, grab your favorite mayonnaise-based beverage , and prepare to celebrate your love for all things Quan. It is my profound honor to present to you, my most epic and ridiculous creation..."Quanculations." - Mayo

Attachments

You can jump backwards after a trance to do an empty trance and still have enough space for a jip. Dunno if the extra meter is worth it though, it's only possible depending on how high the opponent was when caught in trance.

Too bad jump back punches don't combo.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm watching this entire video not because I play Quan, but simply because I despise Dane Cook and think Big Bang Theory is shit. Well played, Mayo. Well played.

Also, I love the Baraka sneaking in between Kenshi and Kabal in the "top tier characters rum rampant" part in the beginning. Truly an amazing video, man. Haha.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You can jump backwards after a trance to do an empty trance and still have enough space for a jip. Dunno if the extra meter is worth it though, it's only possible depending on how high the opponent was when caught in trance.

Too bad jump back punches don't combo.
I know! I wish that jump back punch worked. I experimented plenty with whiffing a trance, and I just decided it was more practical to go with the rune. If you can hit the trance, go for it though. it's 3% more meter.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
St
What's the frame data on 11 and st1? It looks like you could easily react and escape it.
Standing 1 is 11 frames and is guaranteed after an EX Rune. It's neutral on block, and 1 1 is also neutral. The usefulness of the 1 1 stagger is that if they try to poke out and you are completing the string of 1 1 2, they'll end up in a trance combo into rune trap all over again. It's extremely handy once you've instilled that fear.

Mixing standing 1 and 1 1 throughout these setups means if they're waiting for 1 1, and you just do standing 1 back into 2 1 2 rune, they're blocking and giving you that chip. If they let go of block , you're taking more damage from your string, and you'll end up killing them even if you're not building the meter.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
St

Standing 1 is 11 frames and is guaranteed after an EX Rune. It's neutral on block, and 1 1 is also neutral. The usefulness of the 1 1 stagger is that if they try to poke out and you are completing the string of 1 1 2, they'll end up in a trance combo into rune trap all over again. It's extremely handy once you've instilled that fear.
Damn it's neutral? it looks like it's around -4 or something due to the slowness of st1 but 11 frames isn't THAT slow either.

Too many Kung Lao 2's spoil me.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
hahaha top tier chars.. that kabal , kenshi, and baraka! lol... anyways good stuff man.. i dont play quan chi.. but i watch to prepare for him. lol

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
212 is escapeable. The 4th EX Rune is a nice find but you can jump out of it. 21 EX Rune is guaranteed.
Would you like to demonstrate how 2 1 2 is escapable but 2 1 is not? And I never said any of these setups were guaranteed. Did you watch the video?

Would you like to demonstrate how 2 1 2 is escapable but 2 1 is not? And I never said any of these setups were guaranteed. Did you watch the video?
after 212 EX Rune, you can jump out, after 21 EX Rune not. It´s tricky but possible. Yes, I watched the vid. In my opinion guaranteed damage is better then setups, where the opponent has the chance to escape and can whiff-punish you. For Quan it´s important to keep the opponent under constant pressure, so I prefer 21 EX Rune. sorry for my bad english, i´m from germany

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
after 212 EX Rune, you can jump out, after 21 EX Rune not. It´s tricky but possible. Yes, I watched the vid. In my opinion guaranteed damage is better then setups, where the opponent has the chance to escape and can whiff-punish you. For Quan it´s important to keep the opponent under constant pressure, so I prefer 21 EX Rune. sorry for my bad english, i´m from germany
You can jump out, yes...but not before eating the 212, which can be hit-confirmed into another Trance, which sets the whole thing back in motion.