What's new

Tech - Summoner Quan Chi's Ex Trance damage boost)

I have finally had time to lab Summoner for the first time after the XL update. I was looking for new damaging HTB set ups with him and accidentally found something interesting:

First thing to note. In this video HTB set goes Overhead then Low. And when NJP (which is the overhead here) connects, opponent is still in the Ex Trance hitstun. The combo is finished by that time, and opponent can block, but the hitstun still doesn't allow to do anything else. You can't actually see it in the video (as the two hits of the HTB connect too fast) but the NJP causes a SPLAT!! Like it hits 2nd time in one combo, but it is a new combo starting with NJP as you can see by the hit counter)) the Low bat hits before opponent is splat on the ground which allows the combo to continue. Now I remember that impostor has this problem if he uses an NJP in a combo, ends in Mimicry trance which ends the combo, but the NJP will splat opponent out of it's hitstun like it is the same combo. We have a similar situation here with Summoner, but it gets even more interesting.
We all remember that Ex Trance has reversed damage scaling and acts like a little damage boost. Turns out that boost also carries over to the combo which the NJP starts. In my video you can see that The combo after the HTB reset does 34% damage:
NJP,Low bat, 4xxtrance, jump back 1, f2122,141 = 34% damage in the video above.

But here I am doing that same combo without opponent being in the hitstun from the Ex Trance:

Again NJP, Low Bat, 4xxTrance, Jump Back 1, f2122, 141 but it does 29% damage)
Now these aren't the most damaging combos, but I can imagine that this May allow for some interesting damage options we all can look for. The key here is to end your combo with Ex Trance and hit the opponent with a mix up while he is still recovering from the Ex Trance, but you have to do it late enough for it not to combo). It also seems to be applicable to all Quan's variations, but extremely good for Summoner cause of all the HTB BS that can come after the Ex Trance.

@STB Shujinkydink
@michaelangelo
@WhoIsYams
@all the Quan mains

Another thing to note is that I didn't have time to try to combo into Ex Trance after starting a combo boosted. I wonder if it will stack?!?))))

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Looks like the splat causes the counter to semi reset. For instance if you can land a NJK into low bat the low has no scaling at all.

Poshib

The Artman
Every time stuff like this is found I always think to myself, "What if folks found this when Quan was still ridiculous?"

@legion666 Have you tested to see if Quan keeps the boost after a B2 ~ Low Bat reset?

Arzumis

Noob
Nice stuff, I've been putting a lot of time back into Summoner recently and he's still certainly a high tier character. He has, imo, the best corner game in the entire game. Very damaging mixups, HTBs, chip damage and most of it is still safe.

People be sleeping on our homie.
I think sorcerer has the best corner game

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I think sorcerer has the best corner game
I could agree actually. It's definitely easier than Summoner's, I don't really know if it's better though. Summoner still has the crazy damage, and hard to blocks and he also has the armor breaking and mixups into mixups that Sorcerer has.

What does Sorcerer actually have over Summoner in the corner? Genuine question, I don't really play Sorcerer.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I completely disagree. 100%.
I don't think Quan can afford to fight Shinnok up close anymore. That being said, you kind of dominate from full screen. If you get your zoning started I can risk teleporting because your njp is godlike. Have to get in honestly

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I don't think Quan can afford to fight Shinnok up close anymore. That being said, you kind of dominate from full screen. If you get your zoning started I can risk teleporting because your njp is godlike. Have to get in honestly
Let's take this to PMs, so we don't clutter the thread. What with this not being a mu thread and all. ;-)

Every time stuff like this is found I always think to myself, "What if folks found this when Quan was still ridiculous?"

@legion666 Have you tested to see if Quan keeps the boost after a B2 ~ Low Bat reset?
I have tried b2, lowbat reset but it is really hard to time to hit in hitstun frames of the EX TRance where the combo no longer continues, at least I haven't been able to do that.
Looks like the splat causes the counter to semi reset. For instance if you can land a NJK into low bat the low has no scaling at all.
It looks like it. But the next combo counter actually counts the splating NJP as it's first hit, so the combo is already over by the time NJP hits.

AeWhole

Noob
This is a nice find! It's nice to see fairly safe damage return from the reckoning of meterless damage scaling he received. I will definitely be using it.

Side note: Quan is still really great. It's just a shame he's negative on everything unless you got a jump in or you spent a bar. He's seriously meter dependent now. His redeeming qualities are that he has a tool for all the important situations so I will have to say that the Imposter Shinnok is definitely an even match and might even be in favor of Quan if you can make some reads with back dashes and rob plus frames from Shinnok as much as possible. In my opinion Quan's worst match-up might be Hellfire Scorpion and Ronin Takeda currently. That could just be me though.

Nice stuff, I've been putting a lot of time back into Summoner recently and he's still certainly a high tier character. He has, imo, the best corner game in the entire game. Very damaging mixups, HTBs, chip damage and most of it is still safe.

People be sleeping on our homie.
My guess is that people don't like it when actual thinking is required.

Lokheit

Noob
It's not a damage boost (EX Trance just has a softer penalty than regular one): As you can see the damage from the NJP (which starts the combo so no accumulated scaling at that point) is 7 in both cases, so the damage isn't boosted.

BUT if you look at the following numbers, in the first example the bat damage is 6.65 (95% of original damage) while in the second one it's 5.6 (80% of original damage). The next attacks are also affected by these penalties and the ones from following moves.

NJP launchers have a 0.8 damage penalty so the damage on the second video is the logical one. For the first case, my personal theory is that the "splat" version of NJP takes place instead of the launching one (I need to test but you said it's a splat, so I'm going to assume that if the jump animation starts while the opponent is stun locked from a combo that used a NJP it still counts as the second NJP splat even if the combo ends before it hits) has the 0.95 damage scaling that most non launching/non stunning moves in the game have and that's how you get your increased damage.