What's new

Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

Hey guys, what's the best way to punish a whiffed teleport from someone. Typically I end up uppecutting or doing f12 trance or 11 trance. I'm assuming there's probably a better punish but I didn't go into training mode and test it out. Also, for Mileena she's a bit tricky since she can use sais to stay in the air and does't do that spinning thing when you block a teleport.
If you block a teleport attack, like scorpion's or smoke's, the best punish is 3, trance. It works really well. 3 has quick recovery so you can get basically juggle into the trance.

Ok, you know what: scaling is so messed up in this game.

b+2,1 > dash > 3 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 4%)
b+2,1 > dash > 3 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 5%)
Conclusion: b+1,1 scales better than 2,1,2

b+3,1+2 > dash > 2,1,2 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 6%)
b+3,1+2 > dash > b+1,1 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 5%)
Conclusion: 2,1,2 scales better than b+1,1... wait, what?

Where am I going wrong here? This is making it really hard to tell which string is the better choice.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Ok, you know what: scaling is so messed up in this game.

b+2,1 > dash > 3 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 4%)
b+2,1 > dash > 3 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 5%)
Conclusion: b+1,1 scales better than 2,1,2

b+3,1+2 > dash > 2,1,2 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 6%)
b+3,1+2 > dash > b+1,1 xx EX Ground Burst (Final hit deals 5%)
Conclusion: 2,1,2 scales better than b+1,1... wait, what?

Where am I going wrong here? This is making it really hard to tell which string is the better choice.

you should be ending those combos in 11 db3. resetting the damage and then the 212 will do like almost 10% more. Which is huge

you should be ending those combos in 11 db3. resetting the damage and then the 212 will do like almost 10% more. Which is huge
The point of those combos isn't to actually be used in a fight >_>. I was trying to figure out the differences in damage and scaling between the strings b+1,1 and 2,1,2. And blocked 2,1,2 does about 5%.

Error

DF2+R2
I feel like the scaling of 212 vs B11 is dependent on the combo it's used in, but from what I've seen B11 seems to better

I feel like the scaling of 212 vs B11 is dependent on the combo it's used in, but from what I've seen B11 seems to better
Yeah, earlier in a combo, definitely b+1,1. Toward the end, like shown in one of the above situations, not always, it seems. But I'm really curious as to what exactly is causing the difference... The first thing that I considered was repeat proration, but I made sure neither string is repeated and still got contradicting results. I can't really see NRS having made scaling be different depending on what attack follows what, both because I can't see the reasoning for the strange and minor scaling differences and because I doubt they put that much effort toward this minor detail when other parts of the game were/are so buggy.

I know it's not a huge difference, but it still bugs me.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
The point of those combos isn't to actually be used in a fight >_>. I was trying to figure out the differences in damage and scaling between the strings b+1,1 and 2,1,2. And blocked 2,1,2 does about 5%.
ya I meant 212 xxrune.

ahh gotcha. I thought you were talking strategy, I was like wtf is this lol

It's just the decrease in damage from the combo going on longer. If you count the number of strikes in the combo's you have less actual strikes in the combo that is producing the final hit in the one that does the most damage.

It's just the decrease in damage from the combo going on longer. If you count the number of strikes in the combo's you have less actual strikes in the combo that is producing the final hit in the one that does the most damage.
...No. Read it again.

On a side note, just realized while experimenting around with this that attacks on grounded opponents scale less than the same attacks on aerial opponents... bet that was already known, though. Resolves my confusion about some Cyber Sub-Zero combo damages at least, but this doesn't seem to explain Quan Chi's situation.

I'm noticing, though, that longer combos do more damage when ended with b+1,1 xx special move, but shorter ones don't... trying to figure out why. I guess b+1,1 scales better at the end of longer combos, but not at the end of shorter ones? I'll keep messing around with this later and see if I find anything that contradicts that; perhaps if I find one that stands out, it can be used for comparison to figure out exactly what's going on.
It might have something to do with the number of juggle hits, but that's something I'll mess around with as well... thinking damage scaling might get increased proportionally by the amount of juggle hits: perhaps something along the lines of scaling due to juggling times the base scaling due to the attack equals the total scaling of the attack... not sure if that would make sense; I'll think about it later... kinda tired right now.

EDIT: After thinking about it a bit more, it'd be way too much of a hassle to figure this out for how much it's worth, and I really don't have the time right now.

myth

Noob
I keep having problems with an opponent who jumps over/ teleports (radien) from side to side.

Quans teleport has a input of d,b,4 (i think thats the right number...) but every time they go to the other side of Quan it changes the command to d,f,4. This makes it so instead of teleporting, Quan is trying to dance at them.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Any solutions?

Essay

Noob
As we all know, there is a bit of a margin to mistime our 1,1,skydrop after wiffing multiple moves on a tranced opponent: A little early and you just get one punch, and a little late and your skydrop chain is blocked. I mean, it's not the most strict link in fighting games, but tournament nerves don't tend to discriminate.

What I've done to compensate is always hold forward so that the skydrop switches sides. If your timing's true, 1,1,skydrop connects and you continue in the rune trap as always, going the other direction. If it doesn't, the skydrop isn't blocked (...right?). Obviously, this is of no use if your opponent is cornered, but corners have never been a big part of my playbook.

Anyone have a reason not to hold forward every time you do the 1,1,skydrop chain?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Started using quan,LOVE HIM,rarely lose with him and when i do i learn what's safe and what isn't but for the love of god i can't connect the U3 online.

offline it's extremely easy but online i press em at the same time and the damn move won't come out!

Any advice?currently using him as a main before i make him my secondary (first is sub)

also one thing i tend to do is stay away from corners,i can't find any decent high damage combo to do that isn't particulary hard to time (especially online) so i just try to keep it midscreen as in ill deliberately get my opponent outa the corner.

Started using quan,LOVE HIM,rarely lose with him and when i do i learn what's safe and what isn't but for the love of god i can't connect the U3 online.

offline it's extremely easy but online i press em at the same time and the damn move won't come out!

Any advice?currently using him as a main before i make him my secondary (first is sub)

also one thing i tend to do is stay away from corners,i can't find any decent high damage combo to do that isn't particulary hard to time (especially online) so i just try to keep it midscreen as in ill deliberately get my opponent outa the corner.
B3 1+2 B21 212 Trance 11Skydrop

Midscreen B3 1+2 11 112 Trance (Trance, Rune) 11Skydrop

Also, watch some Quan Gameplay, it will improve your game.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
B3 1+2 B21 212 Trance 11Skydrop

Midscreen B3 1+2 11 112 Trance (Trance, Rune) 11Skydrop

Also, watch some Quan Gameplay, it will improve your game.
the corner combo adds about 8 damage but i can't pressure and the most used characters can pressure insanely in the corner,not to mention the timing is pretty tight online.

the midscreen one i wont use,2% for 2 hits,i'd rather not give that small piece of meter since i rarely use ex trance.

will try to trance and rune,hard to time but worth it.

the corner combo adds about 8 damage but i can't pressure and the most used characters can pressure insanely in the corner,not to mention the timing is pretty tight online.

the midscreen one i wont use,2% for 2 hits,i'd rather not give that small piece of meter since i rarely use ex trance.

will try to trance and rune,hard to time but worth it.
You should whiff that trance and rune, to build meter.

that meter is important for the rune trap/extrance/breaker.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
i already know that,i already use trance,it's just the rune makes getting the 11 drop a close call.
Whiff the rune first. And start buffering the command for it just before your first trance recovers from its animation. You'll actually complete the inputs for the close rune while he's still in trance motion, and then he'll automatically do the rune. Then you can whiff the trance and have a very safe window to land 11skydrop.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
So I've decided to pick up Quan-Chi. I've always liked him (story wise) and I actually started playing around with him on like day 4 but I think I became frustrated with him...idk...but now I love him. After watching Under The Mayo's video with the "math of Quan Chi" or whatever as well as watching Insuperable take out Klassy Sasquatch; I've def decided to devote time to him.

Now, I'm a Kitana/Sindel/Sheeva player so this type of character is foreign to me (meter management, rune trap, the trance!!!) so I need tips. I've watched combo vid's and what not but what are some tactics that are worthy of doing and what are tactics that are just shit that no Quan Chi lover would ever do. For example, as a Kitana player, I would advise to never do F4, 4...it's useless and no Kitana player would EVER use it.

I put him in the lab last night and I'm playing online right now with him and I absolutely love him...I barely know shit with Quan Chi and beating a large number of people...so help a new brotha out!!

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So I've decided to pick up Quan-Chi. I've always liked him (story wise) and I actually started playing around with him on like day 4 but I think I became frustrated with him...idk...but now I love him. After watching Under The Mayo's video with the "math of Quan Chi" or whatever as well as watching Insuperable take out Klassy Sasquatch; I've def decided to devote time to him.

Now, I'm a Kitana/Sindel/Sheeva player so this type of character is foreign to me (meter management, rune trap, the trance!!!) so I need tips. I've watched combo vid's and what not but what are some tactics that are worthy of doing and what are tactics that are just shit that no Quan Chi lover would ever do. For example, as a Kitana player, I would advise to never do F4, 4...it's useless and no Kitana player would EVER use it.

I put him in the lab last night and I'm playing online right now with him and I absolutely love him...I barely know shit with Quan Chi and beating a large number of people...so help a new brotha out!!
Umm, you're not allowed to play him! Just kidding bro... I know this is kinda baby shit, but I don't see it too often in SOME Quan players. When you're almost at full screen and they block your skull, they have to block your far rune. It's not much, but it's a cool little projectile trap.

Hit me up on PSN and we'll do some mirrors and I'll show you some stuff.

RunwayMafia

Umm, you're not allowed to play him! Just kidding bro... I know this is kinda baby shit, but I don't see it too often in SOME Quan players. When you're almost at full screen and they block your skull, they have to block your far rune. It's not much, but it's a cool little projectile trap.

Hit me up on PSN and we'll do some mirrors and I'll show you some stuff.
Listen bitch, I'm plan on bringing some much needed *snap* *snap* fierceness to Quan...Hooooonnnneeeeey Chiiiiiiillllddd!!!! Lol jk (kinda). In regards to your tip...that's exactly what I'm talking about...shit that only experienced players know. Good shit...thanks bud! I've discovered (which I know is not news to you guys) just how amazing the range on his trance is...my god!

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Quan is fun to play. He's pretty much my 4th most used character.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

RunwayMafia

Hmmm...I've noticed a landed JK straight into teleport is a nice little 13% gem...wow I must sound like such a Quan noob....lol

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Hmmm...I've noticed a landed JK straight into teleport is a nice little 13% gem...wow I must sound like such a Quan noob....lol
It's alright "Situation", we all have to start somewhere :p

P.S. Try B+2, 1 (x3), B,1,1 trance in the corner!

P.S.S [MENTION=3201]BigDaddyKrames[/MENTION] What system do you play this on?