What's new

Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

Error

DF2+R2
I've looked around, and unless I was blinded by the Woolay, I could not find one of these threads here. So let us discuss, general things, about Quan Chi.

So today I think I saw Shujinkidink(sp?) do a standing 3 into trance as an anti-air, looked pretty cool, never thought of doing that.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Is 212 ex rune guaranteed? Saw that canadian Quan do it a lot I always thought 21 ex rune was the only guaranteed rune. Also is 11 a good reset for doing the low/overhead string? Saw him do it as well, pretty tricky. Last question, when trying to build meter whats a good string to end a trance with to continue meter building? 11 sky drop is decent but if the person jumps you can be in trouble rushing in and throwing out a 212 or something, looking for a different way to get a little meter.

Last thing, good pokes? Seems like d3 is the only decent one, upperct is nice but everything else seems slow.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
thanks for the mention guys and I hope you enjoyed watching my chi at devastation..even tho nerves got the best of me.

if you do the skydrop, as long as you buffer 212, rune trap is guaranteed. dont rush first because then they can jump out of it. Hit confirm it tho, if you accidentally dashed and they tried to jump 212 should still combo them in the air and you can just do a trance again. and yes, once you do one 212exrune, you can safely dash and do them again till meter is drained. meter building wise, depending on the matchup throwing skulls and then dbf1 immediately after builds good meter, as well as 212 on block builds a ridiculous amount. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have...i dont know everything but I might be able to help out the beginners.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to buffer the 2 (can you even buffer it?) and you have time to dash, but dashing doesn't really help unless you feel it makes the 2 easier to time. I think you are able to dash before you are able to 2... either that, or the dash is bufferable/easier to buffer, but I find it a bit easier.

STB Shujinkydink

as far as pokes go, master the uppercut. it is his fastest move next to d3, and can punish the shit outta anything that doesnt hit special mid or overhead...like jabs, close projectiles,kitanas fan cutter etc.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Hey guys, what's the best way to punish a whiffed teleport from someone. Typically I end up uppecutting or doing f12 trance or 11 trance. I'm assuming there's probably a better punish but I didn't go into training mode and test it out. Also, for Mileena she's a bit tricky since she can use sais to stay in the air and does't do that spinning thing when you block a teleport.

Hey guys, what's the best way to punish a whiffed teleport from someone.
I do:

b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > 1,1 xx Sky Drop

You don't have to wait for the opponent to hit the ground, but you can if you'd like. The only problem is that b+2 whiffs over the opponent's head if he/she is at a certain point of the landing animation. The opponent's downward acceleration is one hit greater if you hit the opponent while he/she is still in the air, but since he/she started high enough, you can still land the combo; you just have to be more precise... it's your call between the two choices, really.

For Mileena's EX Teleport Kick, I just crouch block and uppercut.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
thanks for the mention guys and I hope you enjoyed watching my chi at devastation..even tho nerves got the best of me.

if you do the skydrop, as long as you buffer 212, rune trap is guaranteed. dont rush first because then they can jump out of it. Hit confirm it tho, if you accidentally dashed and they tried to jump 212 should still combo them in the air and you can just do a trance again. and yes, once you do one 212exrune, you can safely dash and do them again till meter is drained. meter building wise, depending on the matchup throwing skulls and then dbf1 immediately after builds good meter, as well as 212 on block builds a ridiculous amount. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have...i dont know everything but I might be able to help out the beginners.
you shouldnt forget to note wat isnt safe, such as 1,1 ex groundburst, is not safe, however 1,1,2 ex GB will be guarenteed after skydrop. they can only breaker or jump into the hit which will allow you to combo the trance. i find 1,1,2 as his safest combo so if you wanna play as quan you must explore all posibilities of 2,1,2 and 1,1,2. also note ending a combo with a hit combo is a bad idea. end with specials for more damage and to be safer

STB Shujinkydink

you shouldnt forget to note wat isnt safe, such as 1,1 ex groundburst, is not safe, however 1,1,2 ex GB will be guarenteed after skydrop. they can only breaker or jump into the hit which will allow you to combo the trance. i find 1,1,2 as his safest combo so if you wanna play as quan you must explore all posibilities of 2,1,2 and 1,1,2. also note ending a combo with a hit combo is a bad idea. end with specials for more damage and to be safer
unless im misunderstanding you, none of this makes sense.

you can uppercut the first 1 of 112. 212 is much safer. you can also hit confirm 212 into trance if you want as well. most combos should end in skydrop if you have meter. But maybe im missing something, im open to ideas!

unless im misunderstanding you, none of this makes sense.

you can uppercut the first 1 of 112. 212 is much safer. you can also hit confirm 212 into trance if you want as well. most combos should end in skydrop if you have meter. But maybe im missing something, im open to ideas!
You can't hitconfirm 2,1,2 into Trance unless it's off a jump-in punch; the first 2 is the only hit that will combo into Trance on a grounded opponent. I think you'd be better off going for a mix-up, using 1,1,2, or rune trapping off a jump-in punch instead.

I'd say 2,1,2 is safer outside of combos, as well, since the first hit has more range and hits crouchers, but 1,1,2 is more rewarding, whether you hitconfirm 1,1 xx Trance or 1,1,2 xx Trance. If you're fast enough, you can block-confirm the 1,1 and stop there as well, remaining neutral on block and potentially performing more pressure. 1,1,2 is also three frames faster than 2,1,2, so I can see it being situationally preferable for that reason, as well.

As for ending combos with 1,1 xx Sky Drop, I think it's rather situational... my choice of whether or not to do so depends on both players healths, meters, positioning, how much damage is being forfeit, what round it is, etc.

And yeah, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the post as well.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Your Quan Chi is sick Shujinkydink...I'm thinking about picking him up but he looks difficult to master. Sheeva is hard as it is...lol

STB Shujinkydink

You can't hitconfirm 2,1,2 into Trance unless it's off a jump-in punch; the first 2 is the only hit that will combo into Trance on a grounded opponent. I think you'd be better off going for a mix-up, using 1,1,2, or rune trapping off a jump-in punch instead.

I'd say 2,1,2 is safer outside of combos, as well, since the first hit has more range and hits crouchers, but 1,1,2 is more rewarding, whether you hitconfirm 1,1 xx Trance or 1,1,2 xx Trance. If you're fast enough, you can block-confirm the 1,1 and stop there as well, remaining neutral on block and potentially performing more pressure. 1,1,2 is also three frames faster than 2,1,2, so I can see it being situationally preferable for that reason, as well.

As for ending combos with 1,1 xx Sky Drop, I think it's rather situational... my choice of whether or not to do so depends on both players healths, meters, positioning, how much damage is being forfeit, what round it is, etc.

And yeah, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the post as well.
I hit confirm 212 trance all the time....odd. I dont like 112 unless im ending a combo in which I have a life lead, then I go into SB. perhaps ill try that tho.

STB Shujinkydink

Your Quan Chi is sick Shujinkydink...I'm thinking about picking him up but he looks difficult to master. Sheeva is hard as it is...lol
thank you my good man :D Quan is one of those characters that takes like months to play at a high level. If you go into a tourney or something not knowing a specific matchup your getting murked! lol

I hit confirm 212 trance all the time....odd. I dont like 112 unless im ending a combo in which I have a life lead, then I go into SB. perhaps ill try that tho.
Skeletal Boost when you have a life lead? I always felt like that was something you'd only pull out if you were losing and desperate, or at least not when you're ahead. Does it really work for you?

And yeah, I don't use 1,1,2 as often as I think I should be since I don't feel confident about my ability to hit-confirm it... I usually just end up doing 1,1 > throw, but I can see why 1,1,2 would be preferable

And you mean 2,1,2 comboing into Trance on a grounded opponent? Hell, 2,1,2 doesn't combo into anything unless it's hitting an aerial opponent, though you can force the opponent to block a special afterward. I even checked it again just now; the only hit that combos into Trance is the first 2... you can hitconfirm 2,1 into Skull Ball or Ground Burst, though.

STB Shujinkydink

Skeletal Boost when you have a life lead? I always felt like that was something you'd only pull out if you were losing and desperate, or at least not when you're ahead. Does it really work for you?

And yeah, I don't use 1,1,2 as often as I think I should be since I don't feel confident about my ability to hit-confirm it... I usually just end up doing 1,1 > throw, but I can see why 1,1,2 would be preferable

And you mean 2,1,2 comboing into Trance on a grounded opponent? Hell, 2,1,2 doesn't combo into anything unless it's hitting an aerial opponent, though you can force the opponent to block a special afterward. I even checked it again just now; the only hit that combos into Trance is the first 2... you can hitconfirm 2,1 into Skull Ball or Ground Burst, though.
yep, depending on the character. Prolly wouldnt against raiden or scorp. but anyone with slow teleports or soemthing ya. I find it useful. But thats just me. Oh I was talking about 212 if the opponent tries to jump. if you end up catching them in the air with 212 you can hit confirm a trance

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I think a big part of Quan's game that we're missing is the AA punch in the air. Yeah, it's hard as shit to do on reaction, but how many times do you get the opportunity? I'm guess a lot. Just ONE collision of punches in the air, into F1 2 Trance, can lead to a full 60% rune trap. I think all Quans need to make this their new focus now that the meter building has become standard. I'm also a fan on Dink's standing3 into rune!

Robotic

Gentleman.
I think a big part of Quan's game that we're missing is the AA punch in the air. Yeah, it's hard as shit to do on reaction, but how many times do you get the opportunity? I'm guess a lot. Just ONE collision of punches in the air, into F1 2 Trance, can lead to a full 60% rune trap. I think all Quans need to make this their new focus now that the meter building has become standard. I'm also a fan on Dink's standing3 into rune!
The opportunity does present itself quite often...I'm going to have to remember that.

I just recently picked Quan backed up from a VERY long hiatus. I was wondering if anyone does this commonly: From almost full screen, i launch skulls and immediately do far rune, when the situation presents itself, of course. I land this many times and it creates a paranoia in my opponent's mind that after a skull, a far rune is coming, making them continue to block. Pretty soon, they won't attempt projectiles of their own as they are expecting to be stopped by the rune. I find this situation to be VERY advantageous to Quan as it builds meter very well. Other opportunities open up for Quan Chi when your opponent needs to make moves and close distance.

This is situational, of course.

Yeah, I do it all the time. Really easy to do and still lands even if you just barely catch the opponent with the f+1.

And is the standing 3 into rune just used as a poke, then? I've been using the f+1,2,1+2 string instead; it's only a frame slower and it has a significantly larger range, does about the same damage on block and more on hit, builds more meter on block, includes a low hit, can be easily hit-confirmed into Trance with the opponent at minimal downward acceleration if f+1 connects (and provides the option of doing the risky low hit to Trance), pushes the opponent a lot farther back during the string, and ended with 1+2 on block, pushes the opponent away from Quan Chi and is (I believe) neutral on block. Pretty solid, I think. Or did you perhaps mean his 3 xx Trance anti-air? I've been meaning to try that, myself, but keep forgetting not to just uppercut.

I just recently picked Quan backed up from a VERY long hiatus. I was wondering if anyone does this commonly: From almost full screen, i launch skulls and immediately do far rune, when the situation presents itself, of course. I land this many times and it creates a paranoia in my opponent's mind that after a skull, a far rune is coming, making them continue to block. Pretty soon, they won't attempt projectiles of their own as they are expecting to be stopped by the rune. I find this situation to be VERY advantageous to Quan as it builds meter very well. Other opportunities open up for Quan Chi when your opponent needs to make moves and close distance.
Yeah, I've done it... usually, the opponent just jumps over the Skull Ball at that distance, though, so I've only done it when I know the opponent is going to block it. But I do think the standard runes are underrated, honestly. If properly aimed, they're a lot faster and harder to avoid than Skull Balls from farther distances, and are capable of OTG from a distance as well. And of course, they're helpful against Smokes and Nightwolfs(Nightwolves?).

Error

DF2+R2
I was practicing this just the other day with dash 2 into trance, I do it all the time with Ermac, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around doing it with Quan Chi.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I was practicing this just the other day with dash 2 into trance, I do it all the time with Ermac, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around doing it with Quan Chi.
It's hard because it SHOULD be hard! The fact that an AA punch can grant a 60% rune trap is pretty absurd. Stop doing it with dash 2. The beautiful thing about F1 is that you don't have to do a full dash due to the forward momentum of the punch.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I was about to ask, but I guess f12 trance is how you follow up the air air to exchange? I usually go for NJP instead since that's much easier to followup. But if f12 works I'll practice that.

Error

DF2+R2
It's hard because it SHOULD be hard! The fact that an AA punch can grant a 60% rune trap is pretty absurd. Stop doing it with dash 2. The beautiful thing about F1 is that you don't have to do a full dash due to the forward momentum of the punch.
I don't find it hard, I just forget to do it. Half dashes always mess me up and I can do dash 2 trance quite easily, but I'll see how well I do with F1, 2.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Alright so Im just going to assume this is like a QnA thread.

What are some of Quan's BnBs?

Corner BnBs?

Which of his strings are safe on block?

Which of his specials are safe on block?

What exactly are the rune traps and how do you perform them?

What are his worst matchups?

What are his best launchers?

What are his overheads?

I had an urge to learn him today, as I really need a strong secondary. Thanks in advance.

What are some of Quan's BnBs?
b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst
b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst
u+3 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx far Ground Burst
f+1,2 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst
1,1,2 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx far Ground Burst
Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst
NJP > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst
air-to-air punch > dash > f+1 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst

After any Trance, you can instead do 1,1 xx Sky Drop for a reset. Keep everything in mind when deciding whether or not to do this: both players' meters, health bars, positioning, damage being forfeit if you choose to Sky Drop, etc.
After any Trance, you can either choose to gain meter by whiffing a Trance and a Ground Burst or, more easily but less rewarding, a Ground Burst and a Sky Drop, or perform a jump-in punch for some extra damage. You can also go for a mix of the two by whiffing a Trance and doing a jump-over punch, but off anything other than a max-distance Trance, it's a bit strict and requires that you switch sides with the opponent, since you have to whiff a neutral jump punch as they pass under you, then do a jump-in punch and continue the combo. Whiffing a Ground Burst is an easier method of doing this, but you build less meter and still have to switch sides except off max-distance Trances.

After any Sky Drop ender, you can perform the Rune Trap:
2,1,2 xx EX close Ground Burst > dash > 2,1,2 xx EX close Ground Burst (repeat)
The unblockable EX Ground Burst provides enough time to dash up and repeat the Rune Trap, or continue pressure with most of Quan Chi's strings (u+3 is too slow to be guaranteed). The only way out of this trap is to breaker unless Quan Chi is too slow. If, while doing the Rune Trap, the opponent doesn't block, you can choose to hit-confirm 2,1 xx EX Skull Ball, which staggers the opponent and gives Quan Chi a safe jump, but does about 3% less damage.

Corner BnBs?
I usually just do what I'd normally do mid-screen, but replace Ground Burst enders with close Ground Burst. However, you can, off certain starters (b+2,1; NJP; f+2,1 xx Trance; Trance; etc.) that have not yet juggled the opponent, perform an additional b+2,1. (e.g. b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+1,1 xx Trance... or f+2,1 xx Trance > b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+1,1 xx close Ground Burst) Be sure you can do this consistently, however, since dropping it often ends with Quan Chi in the corner and swinging in the wrong direction as the opponent wakes up behind him. Additionally, you can replace b+1,1 xx Ground Burst in any juggles with 2,1,2 xx Ground Burst for a slight increase in damage.

Which of his strings are safe on block?
Not certain about the frame data, but judging from jumping with both characters after blocking:

f+1,2,1+2 is neutral on block and pushes most opponents out of d+1 range
1,1 is neutral on block, but the first hit can be crouched under
1,1,2 is neutral on block and pushes the opponent back, but the first hit can be crouched under
2,1,2 is -1 on block and pushes opponents back
2,1 is neutral on block
b+3,1+2 is neutral on block and pushes opponents back, but Quan Chi can be hit out of it between hits by pokes, uppercuts, and other fast specials/normals
b+2,1 is neutral on block

Which of his specials are safe on block?
Skull Balls are safe on block, but can be crouched under (about -2/-3 at point-blank range)
Ground Burst is safe on block against a large number of characters at farther ranges, but at close-range, I believe it's punishable by pokes and other fast normals/specials.

What are his worst matchups?
IMO: Cyber Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Kabal

What are his best launchers?
b+2,1; b+3,1+2; and 1,1,2

What are his overheads?
u+3; the 1+2 in b+3,1+2; and the u+3 in 2,1,u+3 (almost never use this last one)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that b+2,1 is neutral on block. Also, you can end combos with 1,1,2 xx Trance(whiff) if the opponent is grounded or b+1,1 xx Trance(whiff) if the opponent is being juggled for a bit less damage and a bit more meter.

EDIT 2: Also just realized you can replace b+1,1 xx mid Ground Burst with 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst in mid-screen juggle combos. It does slightly more damage and might be easier to land, but also moves the opponent further. However, b+1,1 xx Trance(whiff) is still better if you want meter since the opponent recovers much more quickly from 2,1,2 than b+1,1.

EDIT 3: When doing b+3,1+2, if you're playing someone decent, you won't be able to catch them with the overhead the vast majority of the time, but in the case that b+3 is blocked, a connected 1+2 mid-screen can only be followed up by dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 on a few characters(Kung Lao, Quan Chi, and a couple others), so be ready to follow-up a connected 1+2 instead with either:
dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > 1,1 xx Sky Drop or
dash > 2 xx Trance > b+2,1 > dash > 2,1,2 xx far Ground Burst.