What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

does anybody know what pokes can be punished by kung laos spin on block? and with that I mean character specific pokes, pokes that are minus a lot of frames after getting d1 or d3 blocked. and can ex spin be used to punish really bad d4's on block?

Maxter

Noob
i know d1's are -14 on block, and can be punished by the spin is u are close enough and respond on time, but d4s and d3s they are slower moves but they are safe for most of the cast, to my knowledge i don't know if there is any punishable d3s or d4s, specially d4s they have good stunt on block, and are plus 13 on hit, maybe only punishable one is cyber sub, not quite sure if they fixed his

Maxter

Noob
Thank God. Offline I do this regularly, online I can't, i can't even spin punish a F21 online (ya I know online is crap, just sayin).....
you have a lot of input delay online, also the delay of the hd television if u have one, the time you need to see and react to a move online is the same input delay on the execution of a move which will make the move you are trying to punish looks safe if you are used to the online timing.
thats why the controversy of kung lao hat, raiden teleport reptile dash sonya dive kick etc, even i didnt know why i couldnt even d1 a kung lao spin when i was first visiting VSM and going to tournaments, their hd television had like 4 or 5 frames of input delay, thanks god they made the game mode on some hd ones, and the monitors move almost perfect, kung lao down hat wasnt overpower but the input delay made it look like that, so sad nrs nerfed that move and ruined that character

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
you have a lot of input delay online, also the delay of the hd television if u have one, the time you need to see and react to a move online is the same input delay on the execution of a move which will make the move you are trying to punish looks safe if you are used to the online timing.
thats why the controversy of kung lao hat, raiden teleport reptile dash sonya dive kick etc, even i didnt know why i couldnt even d1 a kung lao spin when i was first visiting VSM and going to tournaments, their hd television had like 4 or 5 frames of input delay, thanks god they made the game mode on some hd ones, and the monitors move almost perfect, kung lao down hat wasnt overpower but the input delay made it look like that, so sad nrs nerfed that move and ruined that character
Daaaamn this I did not know. sooo, should I change my HD tv settings (I do have a game mode..)? Or does it not make that much difference? Like, a question of making pretty shit look less pretty and slightly more functional, but it's still shit if you know what I mean (that came straight from my brain so it may sound like incoherent drivel, I apologize in advance)

xQUANTUMx

This may seem like a stupid question but I'm a noob...does plugging in the controller help too? I always noticed a delay while practicing some Njp combos with Lao...

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
buying a fightstick i couldnt imagine playing KL without one (especially 21212 combo mixup)

but to answer your question i think the difference would be negligable. but for your own enjoyment use ANYTHING ELSE before you put too much prac in on 360 pad and get used to it. although everything is likely possible on pad, the control a stick will give you far outweighs the convenience of pad

Thank God. Offline I do this regularly, online I can't, i can't even spin punish a F21 online (ya I know online is crap, just sayin).....
Pretty sure Kitana's F21 is 0 on block so that'd be why you can't spin it.

Also wouldn't a blocked kitana d1 push you back to far to spin her unless you're in the corner? Do you have to EX spin mid screen?

Maxter

Noob
i play with a pad and most of the good mk players does, if you feel you need a stick go for it, but using a pad is good on this game

xQUANTUMx

Pretty sure Kitana's F21 is 0 on block so that'd be why you can't spin it.

Also wouldn't a blocked kitana d1 push you back to far to spin her unless you're in the corner? Do you have to EX spin mid screen?
I've done regular spin on reaction not on purpose. Usually with a buddy of mine who plays kitana and d1's me after a blocked F21. He follows up with 2 D1's so I'll get hit (blocking) by the first one and he'll get caught by spin in the middle of the 2nd (he has since adjusted). If I let go of block early enough after the animation on 1 of F21 I get the spin launcher (offline only)...

gdf

Noob
I agree with Maxter about the pad, it is good in this game.
Doing 2,1,2,1,2 becomes second nature when you practice it enough on pad.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
really? i played pad my whole life, went stick 4 years ago and never looked back. i spit on my old pad using ways!

maxter you really think they ruined Kl? Thats what I thought so to a while ago and was pretty mad at the nerfs because I really liked looking at people play kung lao. maybe a few weeks ago I picked him up as my second and I have to say he still has a lot of options and things like walking back to whiff pokes and use ex spin to check them is a ridiculously dangerous tool, whiffed dive kicks are great too, ex dive kick can be safe on block at a particular height and deals good chip and gives you advantage I think. What I really dont like is the damage nerfs. his bnbs are barely 30% without meter and the low hat nerf was too much, they should have either removed the advantage on hit or the recovery on block but not both man, removed pushback on spin is stupid too because some characters can now punish it with higher damaging bnb's.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+2,1 is -1 on block so spin would beat her d+1.

Yes it is possible to punish a d+1 on block with spin in open space. You have to be quick and close range. You will spin her before the push back pushes her out of range.

f+2,1 is -1 on block so spin would beat her d+1.

Yes it is possible to punish a d+1 on block with spin in open space. You have to be quick and close range. You will spin her before the push back pushes her out of range.
WOW, why is nobody using this stuff?

BTW Im heavily experimenting with kl right now and exploiting his chip possibilities, I am starting to think the reason kung lao's damage was toned down so badly is because of all the chip damage he can inflict to opponents.

xQUANTUMx

I got D3'd into multiple D3's into hat into plum like crazy during a mirro yesterday. Didn't even think to exploit that shit. Here's to learning :cool:

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
How many negative frames is spin on block again? I don't want to dig through 22 pages and it's not on his frame data.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey I guess this is a good place to ask this. I have heard about kung lao being able to jail large hitbox characters with his teleport 3. How do you do this exactly? I heard people specifically talk about doing this to sub zero. Thanks in advance.