What's new

Putting Reptile's Dash in Perspective

Seapeople

This one's for you
It's kind of funny... A couple days ago I started to make a thread to talk about how important the "random" elbow dash is, and how Reptile players should use it in their metagame. I ended up not posting about it yet because I'm still figuring out how to word everything lol.

But off the top of my head, ChrisG vs M2Dave at Evo is a great example of how powerful the dash can be. (Those matches can be found here btw: watch?v=78uhEnJi_HE)
It's not to be abused, but at the same time you can't be afraid to pull the trigger ocassionally.

It's kind of funny... A couple days ago I started to make a thread to talk about how important the "random" elbow dash is, and how Reptile players should use it in their metagame. I ended up not posting about it yet because I'm still figuring out how to word everything lol.

But off the top of my head, ChrisG vs M2Dave at Evo is a great example of how powerful the dash can be. It's not to be abused, but at the same time you can't be afraid to pull the trigger ocassionally.
Yeh can of like how Raiden sometimes needs to establish the threat of superman

which means it's actually not putting it in perspective.
or at least comparatively.
Actually would you even consider blade charge a dash? Reptile and Kabal recover so much quicker it can actually be used as a dash, while baraka's blade charge you can't actually use it as a dash becasue of its recovery.

reptiles only has the name dash, it's still not a dash, it's an attack, same for kabal's. the point is to compare similar attacks. blade charge is the most similar attack, it's much worse, and it's still really annoying.

reptiles only has the name dash, it's still not a dash, it's an attack, same for kabal's. the point is to compare similar attacks. blade charge is the most similar attack, it's much worse, and it's still really annoying.
But I wanted to compare reptiles "dash" to the best "dash" to show people that If you are going to complain about reptiles dash, you should be complaining about Kabal's dash beacuse it is significantly better. Comparing it to baraka would't help that point. All the advantages I listed for Kabal could have in theory, If NRS wanted, bin applied to reptiles dash.

Actually reptiles dash might be closers to Skarlet's the more I think about it.

Edit Also if anyone complains about baraka's charge feel free to tell them at least its not like reptiles dash.

... this is going nowhere. people know what reptile's dash is, compare it to whatever you want, it's not going to change that it's what makes reptile viable and it's by far the most broken thing this top 10/12/15 (it's debatable, pick whichever one you want, i dont care) character has

... this is going nowhere. people know what reptile's dash is, compare it to whatever you want, it's not going to change that it's what makes reptile viable and it's by far the most broken thing this top 10/12/15 (it's debatable, pick whichever one you want, i dont care) character has
See this where you are completely wrong. First of all read the OP I said Reptiles dash was good and I never said Reptile wasn't viable. This is why I compared it to Kabal's dash because it is not the most broken thing in the top 10/12/15. Kabal's dash is so much better then reptiles dash. I listed out all the reasons why. This is why Kabal is the best character in the game. Also I would argue that reptile's dash is not even broken. Its good but not broken.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Apparently Reptile's dash is more "broken" then Kabal's dash
Neither move is even close to comparable is the issue. One is used strictly for mobility and punishment, the other can be used for mobility and overall offensive presence. They serve totally different roles for their respective characters as a whole.

And mashing jab in SFIV (I presume this is the one you're talking about) gets you counter hit to all sorts of funny shit.

Neither move is even close to comparable is the issue. One is used strictly for mobility and punishment, the other can be used for mobility and overall offensive presence. They serve totally different roles for their respective characters as a whole.

And mashing jab in SFIV (I presume this is the one you're talking about) gets you counter hit to all sorts of funny shit.
They both serve for more then those two purposes. (see advantages) But one move is CLEARLY better then the other. Not only is better in terms of advantages, it fits the rest of that characters tools better then reptiles dash and his set of tools. This is why Kabal is the best. So the point of this thread was to stop the complaining about reptile and reptile's dash. Even though reptiles dash and how it goes with the rest of his tools is good, it does not come close to Kabal's dash and the rest of his tools. This why I find it insane the amount of hate this character gets.

THTB

They both serve for more then those two purposes. (see advantages) But one move is CLEARLY better then the other. Not only is better in terms of advantages, it fits the rest of that characters tools better then reptiles dash and his set of tools. This is why Kabal is the best. So the point of this thread was to stop the complaining about reptile and reptile's dash. Even though reptiles dash and how it goes with the rest of his tools is good, it does not come close to Kabal's dash and the rest of his tools. This why I find it insane the amount of hate this character gets.
Again...

One is not better than the other. They both do too different of things to even be compared. Kabal does not use his dash in the same way Reptile uses his own. None of the command dashes are comparable, not Reptile's, not Kabal's, not Skarlet's. I don't see why you keep trying to draw a comparison that doesn't exist. It would be different if you were comparing something like similar projectiles like Kano's knife to Jax's energy wave.

Again...

One is not better than the other. They both do too different of things to even be compared. Kabal does not use his dash in the same way Reptile uses his own. None of the command dashes are comparable, not Reptile's, not Kabal's, not Skarlet's.
Reptile can't use his dash like Kabal's dash because he doesn't have the option to in many cases. But Kabal can use his dash a lot like reptiles and do even more. They are comparable, For instance

Sonya uses her military stance a lot different then liu kang uses his dragon stance but I can still compare them and say that sonya's military stance is better than liu kangs dragon stance.

Also people compare every special move all the time. Like when that one guy said that Reptiles dash is the most broken thing. He made a comparison not just with all of the dashes but all of the specials. (maybe with all moves because he did say "thing") which I find to be wrong.

THTB

Kabal cannot use his dash to punish jump distance stuff at approximately 10f.

Kabal cannot do a normal ND to avoid cross ups entirely on reaction.

Kabal cannot convert his projectiles to combos even on trade.

Kabal cannot interrupt some gaps elbow dash can without taking some damage using EXND.

Kabal has no 6f punisher in his dash.

Please stop doing the comparison. There is none.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

Kabal cannot interrupt some gaps elbow dash can without taking some damage using EXND.

well to be fair a lot of those are just EN Dash.

He can punish a lot of jumps with it, beat crossups with it, interrupt gaps with it, etc.

And he does use it so that he can combo off of his projectiles, it's just only if they hit AA, so that is sort of similar.

The only one that he strictly can not do is punish with it in 6 frames haha

Flagg

Noob
CSZ can punish a blocked elbow with 11 ice ball, EVEN ONLINE! Raiden can punish a blocked elbow with 22 into a special, EVEN ONLINE!

I think what people hate about the elbow is, that most feel they can only punish it if they are scouting for it, which leads to respecting him too much and allows him to do his thing.

But it's not the be all and end all.

EDIT: I think people in general hate being tagged with an elbow and it pisses them off, which proves detrimental to their playstyle.

I said a lot not all or there would be nothing unique about reptiles dash.

Also Kabal being able to armor through cross ups with 1 meter and getting a combo is better then reptile dashing out and getting no damage for no meter. These are comparable.