What's new

Putting Reptile's Dash in Perspective

Any player with average reaction can punish Elbow Dash on block 90% of the time.

Games like SF leave you to punish a whiffed/blocked move with less than 10f in a lot of cases. a -15 punish is in no way hard to pull off.

On the other hand, the dash should always be in your mind, so when you see it you'll punish it.
That's good for sf man but I've never played it.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Any player with average reaction can punish Elbow Dash on block 90% of the time.

Games like SF leave you to punish a whiffed/blocked move with less than 10f in a lot of cases. a -15 punish is in no way hard to pull off.

On the other hand, the dash should always be in your mind, so when you see it you'll punish it.
Aren't moves in SF like 3-5f though? Hard to compare the two.

Alot of wiff punishment on SF are based on reads not just on reaction. When daigo does down heavy kick to punish a down light, thats a read not a reaction punish.

I dont think reptile would be good with kabal's dash tbh. Kabal has an 18 frame dash, the mobility is nowhere near the speed of reptile dash.

Aren't moves in SF like 3-5f though? Hard to compare the two.
Balrog's Dash Straight punches are -3f to -8f on block depending on if he uses L/M/H. Ryu's counter is a 3f Shoryuken. However, that still depends on the distance from which he did the Dash Straight.

Even tho the moves are faster you still have smaller punishment windows with more factors involved.

With MK, if I'm running a Rain vs Reptile MU I'll be able to punsh his dash on block with 4xxRH/Water bubble every single time on reaction.

That's good for sf man but I've never played it.
Which is exactly why you feel like you have to anticipate an Elbow Dash to punish it. Even though it's -15 on block.

Playing other fighting games only helps you as a player in general. Maybe you should give it a try. I'll feel honored to teach you some SF.

You guys got to realize that MK has a lot of 3D game component. MK start up is a lot slower than SF start up frame, common jab in sf is 3 frames that lead to a combo. MK is 6-7 frames for a poke and 9-12 frames for full combo. This is a stupid comparison.

You guys got to realize that MK has a lot of 3D game component. MK start up is a lot slower than SF start up frame, common jab in sf is 3 frames that lead to a combo. MK is 6-7 frames for a poke and 9-12 frames for full combo. This is a stupid comparison.
But both have small windows to punish though. 3-5 frames to react to is still 3-5 frames to react to in both games. So why can't MK players do it with simpler inputs like SF players do all the time.

Alot of wiff punishment on SF are based on reads not just on reaction. When daigo does down heavy kick to punish a down light, thats a read not a reaction punish.
It's footsies and spacing.

It's like a flowchart in your mind. So if my opponent whiffs this, I'll punish with that.

It's very possible to make a read, and throw off your opponent's spacing to whiff punish. Idk about reading a whiff punish.

Yeh that true, but Reptile's dash is a 3-5 window to punish for some chars as well and players in other games react to those windows all the time.
Because a lot of it is based on reads... Ive said this already. The reason why SF players does crouch jab all the time is because it can beat out certain pokes and jab has fast recovery rate. Then your opponent can read that poke is going to come and counter that with another move.
Example would be ryu's low hard kick, you can use that to punish a down poke on read but if you miss it then it is -28. You shouldn't talk about a game you dont know about.

It's footsies and spacing.

It's like a flowchart in your mind. So if my opponent whiffs this, I'll punish with that.

It's very possible to make a read, and throw off your opponent's spacing to whiff punish. Idk about reading a whiff punish.
SF is a different game, people spam jabs to beat out moves. However there are moves that can counter jabs like ryu down heavy kick.
You can also make a read punishment by dash back and do a long reach move.

Because a lot of it is based on reads... Ive said this already. The reason why SF players does crouch jab all the time is because it can beat out certain pokes and jab has fast recovery rate. Then your opponent can read that poke is going to come and counter that with another move.
Example would be ryu's low hard kick, you can use that to punish a down poke on read but if you miss it then it is -28. You shouldn't talk about a game you dont know about.
The fact remains that it should be impossible to consistently punish reptiles dash, even if its just an uppercut.

How?
That guy was saying you have to anticipate an Elbow Dash, even though it's -15 on block.

I simply made a comparison to SF to show that there are moves that you literally have 1-2f to punish with a 3f move. You still have less frames to punish even though the game has faster moves.

It's clear that you don't know what the hell your talking about.

A better comparison would be counter poking in MK9. Some players have claimed that it's hard to counter poke a d1 lol.

SF is a different game, people spam jabs to beat out moves. However there are moves that can counter jabs like ryu down heavy kick.
You can also make a read punishment by dash back and do a long reach move.
Lol Ryu's sweep shouldn't be used to counter low jabs. You use frame traps for players who like to spam out 3f moves, and they work like a charm!

On reaction maybe but I can dash d1's on block online so it's def doable and even more so offline.
It's really not hard. It's a common misconception among players that you have to hold the block button longer than the active frames of the blocked move.

If I'm punishing a move like KL's spin I'll let go of block directly after the hit to get the most accurate punish possible. It's no need to hold the button longer than you should.