What's new

Breakthrough - Ethereal Pushing Ethereal Further Still - EX Fade Tech

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This makes me want to play Ethereal so much. Time to put some work in! :)

Edit: That music inspiring! :O

Now I'm curious about this because before I played Mileena I mained Sub and one string in particular that Mileena had to respect was b33xx clone, which is his low, low string. The only time Mileena could punish is on a point blank b33 with nothing canceling it. Can Mileena use ex fade towards to bypass the clone and punish the clone recovery here?

Typical Sub post knockdown pressure game in the corner can end in njp, njk, or f12/b33d3. With the latter setup placing the clone a little further away. There's a few other setups that lend themselves to shatter combos but that's for another day. Going back to the initial setups, can Mileena ex towards to get pass the clone here if Sub tries to do run in throw, b33 or spaced b2 or does she just appear in the clone? Or can she just ex fade towards while yelling YOLO even if Sub has a clone out and standing there (look at that knee!).

Furthermore as we know Subs love to sit behind clone and toss projectiles, while we already have an on reaction move in teleport to beat ice ball, can Mileena stay at a relatively spaced distance and ex fade towards to punish things such as iceball, clone toss, shatter and stage interactions, or at the very least establish pressure?
Nope, nope, and nope.
She goes forward right into the clone and gets frozen. You can hold the Fade, but as soon as you let go she gets frozen. (if the clone is still out).

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Ethereal is def gonna be a weapon for me thanks to your videos. Instead of counter picking I will be just switching between her variations. Despite being meter dependent, in the right situation this a good option.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I told everyone on my stream the other night that you shouldn't sleep on Ethereal. It has way too many good options vs the Higher Tier Characters that she normally struggles with.

Right now I've only played Ethereal for about a week. I still have a lot of tech & tactics to discover.
Whoa Whoa, I am the original Up player, lbsh :p

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Great Video.

Ethereal's meter building and run away game is simply fantastic. A lot of characters are never truly plus against her if she has a bar.

Awesome video @ZeroEffect

Going to add this into the guide as well :)

Great Video.

Ethereal's meter building and run away game is simply fantastic. A lot of characters are never truly plus against her if she has a bar.

Awesome video @ZeroEffect

Going to add this into the guide as well :)
Yeah to be honest I was gonna ask you about throwing it in there, or may have done it myself anyway. So yeah, feel free.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
@ZeroEffect nice to see ethereal mileena get some love. I've been high on this variation since the buffs and glad more people are starting to realize the potential of this variation. Also mileena telaporting with those color filters looks Hella hype.

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
@TakeAChance but in all seriousness all I had to see was the way to use EX Fade & everything clicked for me. I immediately thought on how I can have an edge vs rushdown characters once I have the knowledge on all their strings & gaps.

And I never up play or down play. I just play the game & use what I have avaliable to me. And whatever that may be I can & always will find a way to make it work.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
You were originally but who has made it shine in tournament play? :p:D
Lol, I wish you had xbone man...I really do. Would love to share some notes and tidbits. That's pretty much what I do with this game now. Pick a character that interests me and share whatever I can find.

Seriously tho, I love that more people are taking notice of Ethereal and I love that you are seeing its uses. Don't be surprised if it takes over your main spot. The utility is so good, and having a free wakeup is something I can no longer trade away.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Great video. After watching Saltface use Ethereal during a set with MIT and this I'm convinced about this variations potential. The pressure strings on this variation is great but the reversal utility of ex fade is awesome.
Do you have the link of that video to share? (Salt face using Ethereal vs MIT)

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Fought someone utilizing this kind of tech the other day, first time I'd fought it, it was very confusing to deal with compared to regular Milleenas lol.

To be fair, It's not that important for me to be known as the "first person to discover this hidden tech". I'm just the first one to showcase it and break it down. I mean, for all we know some random Mileena player who doesn't have a TYM account or an offline scene could've discovered this when the patch dropped. Or maybe we all had ideas of it at the same time, lol.

For me, once I saw it was such a good wakeup move, I started wondering what I could get using meter for EX Fade in every other situation where EX Roll could be used. Started with Jacqui 1212 into D3, and Cassie B124 into D3... then moved on to EX Punch Walk... and I was sold.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Absolutely excellent presentation on this video, dude. Take note everyone who makes MK videos (especially those with blaring, offensive rap music, or shitty dubstep, for that matter), or any gaming videos for that matter. The music is great and reminds me of Witcher 3, as well. I subbed to your channel, OP.

Last edited:

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
@ZeroEffect well put together tutorial on the use of ex fade.

@TakeAChance chance has been pushing the ethereal hype train the hardest for sure and when hardly no one seemed to care when i posted about how ex fade cant be stuffed after the patch and people seeming to ignore when chance posted about how it gives safe combo options like f4~ex fade, 21~ex fade etc and people fanning over the safe wakeup like it wasnt a big deal i was starting to think "do people realize what we got given here?"

im glad the masses are starting to see what the ethereal og's have been shouting since the patch,
sleeping on ethereal is the folly of the unwise ;)

@ZeroEffect well put together tutorial on the use of ex fade.

@TakeAChance chance has been pushing the ethereal hype train the hardest for sure and when hardly no one seemed to care when i posted about how ex fade cant be stuffed after the patch and people seeming to ignore when chance posted about how it gives safe combo options like f4~ex fade, 21~ex fade etc and people fanning over the safe wakeup like it wasnt a big deal i was starting to think "do people realize what we got given here?"

im glad the masses are starting to see what the ethereal og's have been shouting since the patch,
sleeping on ethereal is the folly of the unwise ;)
I actually think that was a case of it being TOO soon after the patch. Remember pre-patch Ethereal was damn near worthless, so only like 4 people played it. Naturally there needed to be a bit of time before people bothered to really look into it after being so comfortable with Piercing & Ravenous.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
To be fair, It's not that important for me to be known as the "first person to discover this hidden tech". I'm just the first one to showcase it and break it down. I mean, for all we know some random Mileena player who doesn't have a TYM account or an offline scene could've discovered this when the patch dropped. Or maybe we all had ideas of it at the same time, lol.

For me, once I saw it was such a good wakeup move, I started wondering what I could get using meter for EX Fade in every other situation where EX Roll could be used. Started with Jacqui 1212 into D3, and Cassie B124 into D3... then moved on to EX Punch Walk... and I was sold.
it was just a couple of days ago actually, are you on psn? would be funny if it was you.

Absolutely excellent presentation on this video, dude. Take note everyone who makes MK videos (especially those with blaring, offensive rap music, or shitty dubstep, for that matter), or any gaming videos for that matter. The music is great and reminds me of Witcher 3, as well. I subbed to your channel, OP.
Yo are you kidding me? Lol, I watched one episode of Akame ga Kill and heard this track. Immeeediately, I got that shit and was like, I am definitely using THIS music for something. But yeah, thanks for that. And for the sub.

Also rap music can be done really well for the right kind of vid.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I actually think that was a case of it being TOO soon after the patch. Remember pre-patch Ethereal was damn near worthless, so only like 4 people played it. Naturally there needed to be a bit of time before people bothered to really look into it after being so comfortable with Piercing & Ravenous.
yea that a good point.

yea i only used ethereal prepatch because of how much i dislike ravenous.
the heal buff made me like it a tad more but the way low pounce doesnt know if its a throw or overhead drives me mad,
if it works like a command throw and can only "tic throw" for certain normals it should grab standing hitboxes, its currently a overhead that only works of certain strings, thats well dumb :/

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I don't play this character, but now I want to. This is some of the coolest tech I've seen in this game. Defensive shit is so hype. Please please please let this character (and variation) get hype representation.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Nice video. Ethereal is no joke. I agree Ex-Fade is quite possibly the best Ex move in the game.

Also, your voice sounds just like Alan Wake

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Yo are you kidding me? Lol, I watched one episode of Akame ga Kill and heard this track. Immeeediately, I got that shit and was like, I am definitely using THIS music for something. But yeah, thanks for that. And for the sub.

Also rap music can be done really well for the right kind of vid.
Yooo. I didn't even realize it was from Akame. That show's amazing.