What's new

PS5 Controller Options

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Threads here seem old so I'm making this one.

I haven't had a reason to get a PS5, so I don't know... but in watching some of these stress test streams, seems like a lot of people are complaining about the PS5 controller. I don't know if it's like Xbox 360 bad or what.

Which controllers or converters are guys using on PS5? Or is the PS5 pad not actually that bad, just takes getting used to?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

I haven't had a reason to get a PS5, so I don't know... but in watching some of these stress test streams, seems like a lot of people are complaining about the PS5 controller. I don't know if it's like Xbox 360 bad or what.

Which controllers or converters are guys using on PS5? Or is the PS5 pad not actually that bad, just takes getting used to?
PS5 controller is a slighter fatter dual shock 4 (PS4 controller).

If you’ve tolerated a PS4 controller, it’s honestly not that hard to transition to it. I find it’s certainly more ergonomic for me; but I have larger hands which means less cramping.

Any change to a new controller will feel weird at first, but I think some of the complaints with the controller are probably due to negative edge being auto turned on in the stress test.

ChaosTheory

PS5 controller is a slighter fatter dual shock 4 (PS4 controller).

If you’ve tolerated a PS4 controller, it’s honestly not that hard to transition to it. I find it’s certainly more ergonomic for me; but I have larger hands which means less cramping.

Any change to a new controller will feel weird at first, but I think some of the complaints with the controller are probably due to negative edge being auto turned on in the stress test.
Thanks, man. If that's the issue people are talking about, that's not as concerning. But I should clarify... I'm talking more specifically about the d-pad and whether it has functional issues similar to what the 360 d-pad had back in the day.

I keep seeing guys complaining about back-forward motions, unintentional diagonal inputs, etc. Again, just makes me think of the "floating" d-pad on the 360 that would just miss inputs. Needed a converter for a DS3.

So if that's the case, I'll need another option whether it's a better PS5 controller or a converter.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Thanks, man. If that's the issue people are talking about, that's not as concerning. But I should clarify... I'm talking more specifically about the d-pad and whether it has functional issues similar to what the 360 d-pad had back in the day.

I keep seeing guys complaining about back-forward motions, unintentional diagonal inputs, etc. Again, just makes me think of the "floating" d-pad on the 360 that would just miss inputs. Needed a converter for a DS3.

So if that's the case, I'll need another option whether it's a better PS5 controller or a converter.
I’ve played MK11, MKX, injustice 1, Injustice 2, and even MK9 with it without issues.

I’m not having trouble hitting anything in those games; nor getting extra/eaten inputs. That’s just me though, I’d try it out yourself and see how you find it.

It feels like I've been getting neutral jump when I really shouldn't, which is a complaint I've seen with the PS5 controller. I've been looking into the Victrix Pro BFG controller since it has the changeable face buttons and d-pads but it is a bit of a hefty investment at $269 AUD. There are other fighting game focused controllers on the market, but I've seen consistently good reviews for the Victrix.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Get a box of some sort.. Hit mix fight.. Etc or an arcade stick.. Pads are lame AF imo

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

The most recent brook converter, converts any controller in existence to play on PS5, even Sega Genesis

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
IS that Hori PS5 fightpad any good?
If you're talking about the Octa, not really.

One thing I'd like you to notice is the inner 80-90% of the pad. It's one, totally flat surface. You have the arrows on the extreme edges that you can barely feel and need to be closer to the center. I'd never experienced "getting lost" on a pad until I bought one of these. Also, the pad is HARD. If you play for any more than a few hours, your thumb WILL be sore.

That being said, I've used Horis for about 7 years now. Got this when I could no longer find the FC4 and still use it to play FGs on PS4 (hate the DualShock pad) every day. With band-aids (smooth cloth kind). I love that the triggers are buttons and not triggers. However the trigger buttons on the octa are GINORMOUS. It's extremely easy to let your left index finger depress the switch stance when inputting specials, resulting in them not coming out.

Still better than a DS in my opinion. Though since I just had to get a Series S for the MK1 online stress test, I might look into a converter for PS4. I adjusted to using triggers quicker than I thought I would and I really like the pad on it. Never get lost and it doesn't hurt my thumb at all

Holy shit, it’s Chaos. Good to see you’re still around brother! Been a long time.

I play SF6 on the PS5 pad (classic controls) and it seems fine to me. Nothing special but I don’t have any major issues. My favorite dpad was the OG XBOX type s controller tho. I still wish I could find one that mimics it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When I’m playing RE4 remake or Elden Ring, it’s my favorite controller out there. But good lord that DPad fucking sucks for fighting games. I might get a brook converter so I can use the Xbox series x controller, since I played injustice 2 with the Xbox one controller and preferred that.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker

i played sf6 beta using it and couldnt do a shoryuken to save my life! i didnt know what was going on? but i just figured i have to keep playing with it to break it in. the D pad isnt clicky enough or in better words i couldnt feel the difference moving from down to right in a motion. i dont know what it is but i havent played my brand new copy of sf6 yet due to the experience i had with the ps5 controller. i need to see if the actual game feels different from the Beta and then i can have a fair assestment. i remember mk11 beta being really slow vs the actual game. maybe thats the case with st6?

ChaosTheory

Holy shit, it’s Chaos. Good to see you’re still around brother! Been a long time.

I play SF6 on the PS5 pad (classic controls) and it seems fine to me. Nothing special but I don’t have any major issues. My favorite dpad was the OG XBOX type s controller tho. I still wish I could find one that mimics it.
Hey, man. Seen a few us older guys poke around lately. Might actually try to put some time into this game. Haven't done that since MK9.

I haven't had an Xbox since the 360 so I don't know if they're good again. Type S dpad was the way, though.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
I don't have one, but I'm planning on selling a bunch after seeing its performance, I have a ps3 and ps4 stick as well, the review confirms the input lag it's nonexistent.

this is a must have! im about to order mine because the ps5 controller for fighting games aint it lol

Hey, man. Seen a few us older guys poke around lately. Might actually try to put some time into this game. Haven't done that since MK9.

I haven't had an Xbox since the 360 so I don't know if they're good again. Type S dpad was the way, though.
I hear you. My old ass hasn’t had the time like the old days. I bought SF6 because the reviews were so good and it honestly didn’t disappoint.

I came here to kick the tires on MK1. I’m hoping they can continue the trend of polished fighters coming out.

I might get a brook converter so I can use the Xbox series x controller, since I played injustice 2 with the Xbox one controller and preferred that.
Keep in mind the D-Pad on the Xbox Series Controller does feel different than the Xbox One Controller for fighting games. It take a bit more getting used to, but I've found it solid, which I was worried about being disc shaped again.

I haven't had an Xbox since the 360 so I don't know if they're good again.
The Xbox Series consoles, and the Xbox brand as a whole, is good again. It does a lot of things PlayStation does not, many of which people just don't seem to be aware of, sadly.

For the Controller, it's a solid pad for fighting games.

ChaosTheory

Keep in mind the D-Pad on the Xbox Series Controller does feel different than the Xbox One Controller for fighting games. It take a bit more getting used to, but I've found it solid, which I was worried about being disc shaped again.

The Xbox Series consoles, and the Xbox brand as a whole, is good again. It does a lot of things PlayStation does not, many of which people just don't seem to be aware of, sadly.

For the Controller, it's a solid pad for fighting games.
I like Xbox fine, had Xbox before I got a PS2, had 360 before I got a PS3. Opted for PS4 and don't play enough to justify two consoles.

As Iceman brought up above, he and I cut our teeth on the original Xbox S Type and I fucking loved that dpad.

But since that's not a possibility... I know I can work with a DS3, so I'll probably do that with the Brook converter.

REYTHEGREAT

I just received the hori Octa for ps5 and I’m really enjoying it. I bought it for sf6 and I find it a lot easier to input certain strings and combo routes. I’m not good at sf6 but I got really far in marissa’s combo guide with it. The dpad is amazing.

I just received the hori Octa for ps5 and I’m really enjoying it. I bought it for sf6 and I find it a lot easier to input certain strings and combo routes. I’m not good at sf6 but I got really far in marissa’s combo guide with it. The dpad is amazing.
I was just coming here to ask if anyone has experience with the Hori fighting commander Octa. Dpad looks similar to Xbox type s. I would consider purchasing this if the dpad checks out. I like the floating pad but not the Xbox 360 style. That was an absolute nightmare.

REYTHEGREAT

I was just coming here to ask if anyone has experience with the Hori fighting commander Octa. Dpad looks similar to Xbox type s. I would consider purchasing this if the dpad checks out. I like the floating pad but not the Xbox 360 style. That was an absolute nightmare.
i can confirm, the DPAD is great.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Glad to see this thread pop up and glad to see people saying the Octa is worth it because the normal PS5 pad is killing my fingers in SF6 and I don't have room for a stick in my tiny apartment lmao. I'd probably end up using it for MK1 as well, the PS5 pad just doesn't do it for me with fighting games like the PS4 one did

On an aside, I'm curious how well that odd disc shaped D-Pad from the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 would do in fighting games.

I know the pad comes with a more traditional "plus" D-Pad as well, but curious about the disc as I know the current Xbox (Series) Wireless Controller's D-Pad is based off it, and it works well.