What's new

problems with mame32k "practice mode"

While practicing umk3 on mame32k.64 with no timer and infinite health, I can't perform specials after about 10 minutes of playing. I don't know if the computer feels sorry for the character taking such a savage beating or what but it is getting very annoying. I am using the moe30w cheat for the record if that has anything to do with it. Also, after installing this cheat, human smoke will not appear for nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Someone help!!

This has nothing to do with MAME. After about 10 minutes all specials stop working and you can't do multiple punches in a row. It happens in many other versions of the game. I'm sure it would also work on arcade.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Bad testing glitch...classic of Midway.

Anyways, just reset or turn off inf health and go to another match.

Ah, this sucks. Well not so much, just an inconvenience. Thanks for the help, though.

In regards to Human Smoke, yeah it worked before the cheat was installed, but also I changed controllers from a generic pc controller to the wired 360 controller. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. I just figured I would practice with what I would be using till my "beast" is completed :twisted:

i have same problem as thisisjust :(

is there any way to fix this? or where can i download others cheat.dat for mame? i only found that broken pugsy's cheat.dat

ZAQ

Noob
UMK3Player said:
i have same problem as thisisjust :(

is there any way to fix this? or where can i download others cheat.dat for mame? i only found that broken pugsy's cheat.dat
F3 Resets. F6 Disables/Enables Cheats

dreemernj

Ambassador
Given the game's processor speed, if a counter starts when the round does and increases by 1 every tick of the game, it'll reach 32767 in about 10.26 minutes. Could the game depend on a 16 bit signed INT for something?

That said there might be a way to make a cheat to set whatever counter is maxing out back down to zero. Might be fun to look into it.

RoGE

Noob
dreemernj said:
Given the game's processor speed, if a counter starts when the round does and increases by 1 every tick of the game, it'll reach 32767 in about 10.26 minutes. Could the game depend on a 16 bit signed INT for something?

That said there might be a way to make a cheat to set whatever counter is maxing out back down to zero. Might be fun to look into it.
I am sure ace kombat could do something about this if you asked him.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Already found the problem.

There's a counter that runs for the whole round and when it reaches about 8A in value (hex) you get the problems everybody here described.

I made a cheat for mame32k 0.64 that stops it and lets you play infinitely without specials, combos, and rapid punches disabling. Just double checking it real quick right now.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
That's awesome Dreemer, just post the cheat text and we can all add it to the Moe Cheat file we have.

dreemernj

Ambassador
This works for me in mame32k 0.64:

Code:
:umk3:00000000:0020BB01:00000000:FFFFFFFF:No 10 minute limit.
EDIT: I just tested it out. with 2 copies of the game running full throttle, one with the cheat on and one with it off.

The one with it off hit the 10 minute limit, the other didn't. The one that hit the limit, I turned on the cheat and the limit went away.

So I think this will work.

im prolly gonna sound really stupid for saying this...but where can i get the moe30w cheat and how do i get it to work with mame? because ive always just practiced by putting it on free play and continuing everytime i kill player 2...and now that i know there is a far far far better way to practice id like to do it that way...obviously :oops: