What's new

Predictions For Who Will Be top tier In Injustice

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
From the videos I've seen, I imagine Luthor's going to be high tier. I think Batman's going to be the Scorpion of this game: so popular that everyone will know how to fight him after the first week.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
If you're going to come to a site known for developing and discussing high-level competitive strategies -- especially one that takes such a divisive (and often volatile) stand on tier lists -- and start predicting tiers, it would be beneficial to imbue more objective facts into your arguments.

I understand we all have varying levels of competitive fighting game experience, and that's absolutely fine because everyone is here to learn, but proclaiming someone to be "top tier" on a site like this is typically considered a statement meant to be followed by convincing arguments supported by facts. You have to be particularly careful when the game isn't even out and you're judging characters based on a build 5 months old for which the goal was to simply be playable. Allow me to explain, and please understand that in no way am I attempting to be facetious, aggressive or negative:

In the case of Batman:
You argue that he's Batman, and thus he's likely top tier stuff. Oddly enough, Batman was garbage in MK vs DC; which is a lot like Scorpion being mediocre or straight up bad, but that's exactly what happened in MK9. If we're going to discuss why Batman would or could be fantastic and do so convincingly, you'd have to mention his wealth of combo-granting anti-airs, versatile pressure options due to distance granting combo strings and his remarkable air approach game made possible by his ambiguous glide-assisted jump-ins (supplemented by remote bat safejump setups).

In the case of The Flash:
You mentioned the build 5 months old in which people used the Flash because of his simple 50% combos that are likely to be removed. Instead, we should discuss the things unlikely to be removed that work in the Flash's favor, notably: his ability to phase through projectiles and his time slow, which can be used to circumvent zoning, apply dirty, dirty mixups or extend combos.

In the case of Green Arrow.
Green Arrow has the ability to initiate combos from full screen and covers almost every approach angle thanks to the bow-aiming ability. Being able to hold his shots and even jump is like a more developed, and subsequently more effective version of Stryker's gun stalling. Additionally, his ability to presumably cancel blockstrings into his leaping arrow special serves as a way to re-establish distance once someone finally gets in.

Note: I don't necessarily believe these characters will be top tier whatsoever, I'm just giving examples of a more developed argument which would serve as the foundation for an objective tier list discussion. The most important word here is "objective" because subjectivity will often get you nowhere in a tier list discussion. I also don't think there should be any real tier list discussions until a while after the game's release.

Anywho, all this technical stuff is only really necessary on sites like this because "tier list" can be a taboo word if thrown around dauntlessly and can even be interpreted as a declaration of war in some instances. It seems silly, it really does, but it's a mentality sites like this develop for the best interest of the community. To be completely sincere, there's plenty of negative effects an oversaturation of knee-jerk or uninformed tier-related proclamations can have on a game and its community. I've seen it happen and the results are never pretty.

With that said:

Note 2: Yes, I was aware that absolutely nobody would care about this half-way through writing it but the teacher in me wouldn't let me stop. Please accept his mildly humorous image (see above) as compensation for this ridiculous expatiation.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Everyone knows things will change from the first build to the final but if that's the case then why discuss the game at all when it comes to gameplay? Beyond mechanics and movelists there's little point to discussing anything else taking that stance.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
My picks for Top 3 top tier characters

Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, Cyborg

*Now I want to say Batman or Flash because of the things I've seen, but there are a couple of reasons I can't pick them yet.

The Flash is a pressure machine with a gimmick that slows time to extend combos and screw people in general. He even has a vibrate through projectile tool. However, I just get the feeling folks are going to start finding out things of his aren't as safe or as good as it appears so far once they learn his main ways to approach you. I believe that even with his vibrate move that folks will find a way to zone and out space him. He has strong potential to prove me wrong, but I am going to wait until folks learn how he moves to judge how difficult he is to handle.

Batman I want to pick because he has the counter gimmick, the ability to use the remote bats to maintain pressure on characters trying to recover and great crossups and mixups off of this. Even his zipline mobility looks great. However, he's starting to show that some of the things I was excited for are actually unsafe on block. He's likely a mid screen character with weak zoning who will have to rely on counters/crossups and just plain good punishes to get started against some of the pokes others get. He'll be a dude that people dig deep on, but I get the feeling zoners and air projectiles will screw him.

Anyhow why I chose who did for top tier is simple.

GREEN ARROW
  • fast dashes
  • fast zoning
  • slide
  • freeze
  • a gtfo bow spin to counter rushdown
  • an unblockable finish. This is huge for destroying people's recovery.
He looks to be able to extend combos using slide/freeze, should get resets and he can punish anything from anywhere. Up close he might get pressured out which means he'll be a top tier with bad matchups others wont have, but he seems solid and folks who use his bow spin often in footsies should be good to the point of having an answer for everything. Just keep moving and hit confirm off specials looks to be his main plan.

LEX LUTHOR
That armor looks insane and he is a character with screen traps. I seriously see him being someone slower who folks will unlock absolutely devastating screen control and setups for. That armor is just amazing. Here is a full breakdown of why I think he will shoot up the ranks.
  • Armor
  • He has a low trap that holds you stunned in place and not just an enormous range and speed on his dash, but some kind of dashing chest ram from 1:18 in the battle arena. In other words he can toss a trap behind you and easily force you into it with his pressure.
  • He controls space very well with his pull ability that sucks you towards him for free combo. If this beats normals or jumps it will screw with folks trying to footsie.
  • His jumping axe looks to have even more range that Haggar's pipe. NO jump ins on him.
  • Setups off of his satellite missiles which look to be quick enough to get free resets with. Knockdown, pop the missile go for crouching kick.
  • He can combo into his hyper as is shown in the video meaning he can end combos with INSANE damage with this.
He just has too many good setup, pressure, defense, and spacing options to say he'd be a waste. I'm thinking he will infuriate many folks...especially Green Arrow who will rely on his ability to space and zone which is hindered by Luthors dash, attack range, and armor.

CYBORG
  • A huge amount of mixups.
  • Zipline mobility.
  • Big damage
  • his specials look to give juggle state extensions for combos
He could very easily be the big letdown for folks if his normals turn out to be utter crap or if his zoning moves turn out to be extremely unsafe on whif. He just seems though to be a guy who can get resets, mixups, and extensions really easily and if he is a guy who can hit often and combo for long periods (especially in the corner) then I cannot see him as anything but top tier. Dudes that get free combos off of their tools the easiest tend to stay at top tier so I put Cyborg up there. I think his toughest match so far is going to be Lex Luthor due to the armor and the air/ground traps that may interfere with his mobility. I simply feel Lex will out control space on him. Especially in the air with that ax and his traps.

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
OK, so what if Grundy can create a comer mix-up that lets him continually command throw you for the kill? Wouldn't everyone be pissed? I wouldn't ;)

Amazon

Noob
If you're going to come to a site known for developing and discussing high-level competitive strategies -- especially one that takes such a divisive (and often volatile) stand on tier lists -- and start predicting tiers, it would be beneficial to imbue more objective facts into your arguments.

I understand we all have varying levels of competitive fighting game experience, and that's absolutely fine because everyone is here to learn, but proclaiming someone to be "top tier" on a site like this is typically considered a statement meant to be followed by convincing arguments supported by facts. You have to be particularly careful when the game isn't even out and you're judging characters based on a build 5 months old for which the goal was to simply be playable. Allow me to explain, and please understand that in no way am I attempting to be facetious, aggressive or negative:

In the case of Batman:
You argue that he's Batman, and thus he's likely top tier stuff. Oddly enough, Batman was garbage in MK vs DC; which is a lot like Scorpion being mediocre or straight up bad, but that's exactly what happened in MK9. If we're going to discuss why Batman would or could be fantastic and do so convincingly, you'd have to mention his wealth of combo-granting anti-airs, versatile pressure options due to distance granting combo strings and his remarkable air approach game made possible by his ambiguous glide-assisted jump-ins (supplemented by remote bat safejump setups).

You mentioned the build 5 months old in which people used the Flash because of his simple 50% combos that are likely to be removed. Instead, we should discuss the things unlikely to be removed that work in the Flash's favor, notably: his ability to phase through projectiles and his time slow, which can be used to circumvent zoning, apply dirty, dirty mixups or extend combos.

Green Arrow has the ability to initiate combos from full screen and covers almost every approach angle thanks to the bow-aiming ability. Being able to hold his shots and even jump is like a more developed, and subsequently more effective version of Stryker's gun stalling. Additionally, his ability to presumably cancel blockstrings into his leaping arrow special serves as a way to re-establish distance once someone finally gets in.

Note: I don't necessarily believe these characters will be top tier whatsoever, I'm just giving examples of a more developed argument which would serve as the foundation for an objective tier list discussion. The most important word here is "objective" because subjectivity will often get you nowhere in a tier list discussion. I also don't think there should be any real tier list discussions until a while after the game's release.

Anywho, all this technical stuff is only really necessary on sites like this because "tier list" can be a taboo word if thrown around dauntlessly and can even be interpreted as a declaration of war in some instances. It seems silly, it really does, but it's a mentality sites like this develop for the best interest of the community. To be completely sincere, there's plenty of negative effects an oversaturation of knee-jerk or uninformed tier-related proclamations can have on a game and its community. I've seen it happen and the results are never pretty.

With that said:

Note 2: Yes, I was aware that absolutely nobody would care about this half-way through writing it but the teacher in me wouldn't let me stop. Please accept his mildly humorous image (see above) as compensation for this ridiculous expatiation.
hahahah ^ LOVED THAT.

Thanks for your balanced view, I do completely agree with you, I am here to learn as I have not always been a strong fighting game afficiando, but Injsutice looks set to change this, and I do take everyting you've said on board. thanks!

Justice

Noob
Batman, Flash and Wonder Woman are looking broken as fuck. Don't see that changing before the first post-release patch.

shaowebb

When considering your choices for a top tier just consider these main points.
  1. How easy does it look to be for this character to mix you up and hit you with their setups? Is a crossup or a pressure high low all they got? If so how good is it once people learn to avoid it?
  2. What is their answer vs someone with fast projectiles, or great control over space. IE does their gameplan work if there are hazards either blocking the screen like a trap or if there are a lot of projectiles to wade through?
  3. Do they have a way to mixup someone and start another combo on them as they try to get up from the last one? The ability to place hazards on the ground or summon a hazard above them and go for an extra attack in addition to that hazard means once your offense starts the opponent doesn't really see it slow down even after the first combo ends. Resets, and strong mixups on recovering characters equates to perfects.
  4. Do they have a decent AA tool?

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
i'm sorry what

have you not seen his kabal-sektor zoning? that shit's gonna be nerfed day 1 if it hasn't already. :(

why are you only looking at the damage though? batman's already looking stupid good thanks to his crazy mobility + the electric bats supposedly make moves unpunishable and let him continue pressure. I honestly think Harley will do pretty good though, cartwheel and the guns are nice but so far her gimmick is horrible.
Video please?

I'm usually pretty good at picking top-tier characters right off the bat on accident and I am planning on playing Shazam and Catwoman based off of the playstyles that i've seen.

SLy

Noob
If I had to take a guess..

Lex Luthor gonna be top.
He looks like he's going to have something broken about him

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Green arrow will body everyone. why I think so? BECAUSE HE LOOKS HELLA COOL AND HE'S FUNNY!

but really, you can't decide shit tell a game come out. at this point none of the game play has been anywhere close to high level. I don't even know what blocking looks like. if you're only looking at tool and what a character should be able to do it can be very misleading, cough JADE cough, so tell we actually see what they can do nothing can really be said. Green arrow will be broking though =)

In the case of Batman:

With that said:

You are easily becoming one of my favorite community member.

shaowebb

I'm betting that Luthor and Cyborg will run rampant initially online. They look to have the most mixup potential and the most space control. Those two will limit your mobility, and trap you. Sounds perfect for online where its usually about who can get the most hits the easiest.

As far as when the game drops?
So far:
Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn, Superman or strong chances for top 5 once this game drops....Lex Luther is looking like a threat as well. I think batman will be a huge threat when it comes to pressure if u let him charge up his electric bats, there will be much setups to find with b man that will hurt the competition...which is why i will be playing him strongly along with superman.

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
As far as when the game drops?
So far:
Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn, Superman or strong chances for top 5 once this game drops....Lex Luther is looking like a threat as well. I think batman will be a huge threat when it comes to pressure if u let him charge up his electric bats, there will be much setups to find with b man that will hurt the competition...which is why i will be playing him strongly along with superman.
SOoooo, coming from a guy who played the game FCP/EMP Scar... Do you think there's any hope for Grundy? <Come on we all saw your post, with your playtest video>

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I'm betting that Luthor and Cyborg will run rampant initially online. They look to have the most mixup potential and the most space control. Those two will limit your mobility, and trap you. Sounds perfect for online where its usually about who can get the most hits the easiest.
I'm going to have to disagree. For a game like this, I think online will be filled by characters who fall into one of two classes: Popular characters and zoning characters.

The reason being, the vast majority of people getting this game won't tournament players looking characters with good tools and such. The casual players will pick their favorite characters--the popular ones--and hop online with those. The others looking to win and win easily, will gravitate towards zoners that take advantage of players inexperience and lack of mobility. Just like MK9 was filled with online Scorpions due to his popularity, and there were tons of Ermac players abusing his lifts into easy damage. If I had to guess, I'd say there's going to be a ton of Batman/Joker players to due to popularity/story and lots of Green Arrow players taking abusing the newer players.