What's new

General/Other - Hunter PREDATOR - When the hunter becomes the hunted

ando1184

Noob
I completely understand what you mean now. It is really early though and trap/setup characters do usually take more time to shine, it just takes longer to find that stuff. Right now HQT does definitely look stronger but that could change.
Very true, I'll keep at it man :)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Well here's an example: Against D'vorah, I would be max range and d4 cancel into far mine setup. D4 hits but D'vorah runs in and does f1, it hits me before I recover from the mine animation and she gets a full combo plus oki. Scenario 2: Same start only I place a close mine, she comes at me and starts f1 pressure again, only I'm blocking it but I'm being pushed away from my mine. Scenario 3: same start except d4 is blocked, she runs up and hits me with f1 while I'm in the throw mine animation. Basically, His animations and recovery are too slow so doing mine, disc, or anything else doesn't warrant a rewarding opportunity in most cases. Mine setups appear to only be that useful post knockdown, but even then, the opponent has way more options to get out of the setups :( This isn't just vs D'vorah either, anyone can run up and stop Hunter setups by just being in your face because predator has limited defensive options. Plus, he doesn't excel at building meter more than any of the other mid/low tiered characters and he seems to rely more on meter in this particular variation.
That because you're not using the right moves for the right situation, D4 isnt something you use to set up anything other than a block string/throw attempt in this game.

D4 mine isnt a thing.
Gotta hit confirm your pokes brah.

ando1184

Noob
That because you're not using the right moves for the right situation, D4 isnt something you use to set up anything other than a block string/throw attempt in this game.

D4 mine isnt a thing.
But that's the issue, even Lex could safely land a b2, f2, or d3 into a mine setup. If I were to do a hard knockdown into a mine, I'd still eat an advancing wakeup attack because of the horrendous mine recovery. He should be able to set something up from a max ranged d4. Doing 21, 12, 122, b22, f212, f2, and f21 is pointless to set up a mine on hit because I could just do EX SS and get full combo damage plus a mine setup.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Well here's an example: Against D'vorah, I would be max range and d4 cancel into far mine setup. D4 hits but D'vorah runs in and does f1, it hits me before I recover from the mine animation and she gets a full combo plus oki. Scenario 2: Same start only I place a close mine, she comes at me and starts f1 pressure again, only I'm blocking it but I'm being pushed away from my mine. Scenario 3: same start except d4 is blocked, she runs up and hits me with f1 while I'm in the throw mine animation. Basically, His animations and recovery are too slow so doing mine, disc, or anything else doesn't warrant a rewarding opportunity in most cases. Mine setups appear to only be that useful post knockdown, but even then, the opponent has way more options to get out of the setups :( This isn't just vs D'vorah either, anyone can run up and stop Hunter setups by just being in your face because predator has limited defensive options. Plus, he doesn't excel at building meter more than any of the other mid/low tiered characters and he seems to rely more on meter in this particular variation.
I'm going to have to agree with @A F0xy Grampa here man. D4 trap clearly isn't the answer. Get yourself some space before you start throwing things out. Use a smart disc to cover your trap recovery. You can't start canceling normals into trap and expect it to go well. If you want to do that you will have to use ex trap

ando1184

Noob
I'm going to have to agree with @A F0xy Grampa here man. D4 trap clearly isn't the answer. Get yourself some space before you start throwing things out. Use a smart disc to cover your trap recovery. You can't start canceling normals into trap and expect it to go well. If you want to do that you will have to use ex trap
Ok, say I do d4 disc, it's the same thing. what I'm getting at is, his disc go away on block so having them out to set up a mine is a gimmick. They take too long to set up and if you have a mine out and throw out a disc afterwards your mine will still be blocked if opponent is within range. Mine doesn't get you more damage or anything, it's just another combo started. So why are we limited to MBing it to have it operate correctly? He doesn't build meter fast enough to be this reliant on it imo.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
But that's the issue, even Lex could safely land a b2, f2, or d3 into a mine setup. If I were to do a hard knockdown into a mine, I'd still eat an advancing wakeup attack because of the horrendous mine recovery. He should be able to set something up from a max ranged d4. Doing 21, 12, 122, b22, f212, f2, and f21 is pointless to set up a mine on hit because I could just do EX SS and get full combo damage plus a mine setup.
So go throw them after the d4. Put them full screen and then you have all the space in the world to put something on the screen.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Thing is, any blockstring ending in ex trap is interruptible except for s4 ex trap. this is really what worries me in a high level play where most characters would armor through and launch you in some cases. Which in turn, makes it harder for you to do any blockstring coz you will end up mostly negative and susciptible for pressure or in cases getting blown with armored specials

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Ok, say I do d4 disc, it's the same thing. what I'm getting at is, his disc go away on block so having them out to set up a mine is a gimmick. They take too long to set up and if you have a mine out and throw out a disc afterwards your mine will still be blocked if opponent is within range. Mine doesn't get you more damage or anything, it's just another combo started. So why are we limited to MBing it to have it operate correctly? He doesn't build meter fast enough to be this reliant on it imo.
Don't cancel d4 into his specials in this variation. And you can totally get a smart disc on the screen. If they are throwing a projectile to try and make you block or whatever you have a long range armored combo starter. Once the smart disc is really on the screen the opponent will respect it (or get hit I guess lol) and you can use that respect to put a trap down wherever. Once you have a trap down you are forcing them to do something, even if it is just low block it. Now you can use that to your advantage to run up throw/strike mixup. If they decide they don't want to sit there and take it that maybe they jump, so AA them with an uppercut into trap. They have a fair amount of options yes but the point is you are forcing them to make a decision and play your game. You just need to capitalize on that with your read.

ando1184

Noob
So go throw them after the d4. Put them full screen and then you have all the space in the world to put something on the screen.
So d4, then run half screen for them to visibly see that I'm trying to throw them....? Throw also has ASS recovery frames, any advancing wakeup beats your attempt to put something on screen.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Thing is, any blockstring ending in ex trap is interruptible except for s4 ex trap. this is really what worries me in a high level play where most characters would armor through and launch you in some cases. Which in turn, makes it harder for you to do any blockstring coz you will end up mostly negative and susciptible for pressure or in cases getting blown with armored specials
I didn't say string or normal into ex trap was good. This guy is just obsessed with d4 into special so I said if you want to do that you have to use ex trap. And of course that only works on hit so it's really not good. I agree with you though, blockstrings aren't really this character's strong suit. It's more about screen control.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
So d4, then run half screen for them to visibly see that I'm trying to throw them....? Throw also has ASS recovery frames, any advancing wakeup beats your attempt to put something on screen.
If they are just holding block, yeah run up throw them. We see players run up throw in the middle of the neutral game all the time. If they aren't respecting you then use a normal. It's a mixup. And okay so you threw them and they want to wake up attack from that range to stop you from putting down your trap.... Do you not see how you can't exploit that? Most of the wake up attacks you can probably just block and punish and even those you can't I'm sure you can find a way to punish. Once again, you're forcing a reaction and then you have to punish it.

True

From Scrubs to Pros
Can I create a thread on my phone. If so how..how? I have questions to ask the community.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Can I create a thread on my phone. If so how..how? I have questions to ask the community.
Who is stopping you? You dont need to ask permission br0.

I haven't touched HQT because I feel like a scum bag when I zone

Hunter is awesome but definitely has its shortcomings...

I am having issues in the neutral getting my game going. He is also pretty meter dependant, and does not build meter well.

Hes a beast in the corner

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Is it about predator? If so just ask in the general discussion. You should be able to create a thread if necessary though, at the top of the thread list for predator their should be a create thread option

D4 mine isnt a thing.
Foxy how are U liking hunter predator. You think he's as weak as some people are claiming. Always love a top players opinion on characters.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
D4 disc is also a bad idea, d4s on hit you're supposed to press advantage, not just throw out random 'set ups'

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Foxy how are U liking hunter predator. You think he's as weak as some people are claiming. Always love a top players opinion on characters.
If you read the op, you would clearly realize its admitted that hunter is a solid variation especially on knockdown set ups. However, it does indeed has its own shortcomings.

ando1184

Noob
Firstly, I'm not obsessed with d4 into special. Like I said, it's an example of what he can't do. Secondly, he only effectively gets a trap out at either fullscreen or post knock down combo. My point this entire time has been for him to be a setup/trap character as we see him. He doesn't have proper tools to setup his mines. Luther had mines that were set up via hard knockdowns, good blockstun from specials, his trait, and mobility. Predator has to take risks when trying anything, he's slow as all hell, and specials don't contribute to actually setting up his traps the majority of the time.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Hello TYM !

please note: i am not here to complain, downplay or ask for either buffs or nerfs. its just a simple thread to see the variation hunter through other`s perspective and what they think about it in comparison to hish qu ten.

Now, i have played the hunter variation heavily since predator release. Indeed, its a variation built around trapping and controlling space or as some people like to call it: Subzero 2.0.

Admittedly, this variation has a strong set up aspect and a very mind confusing one, However, the more i play the more i begin to see lots of flaws down the road. So far, hunter only shines on knockdown.

I have noticed that i am very limited in the blockstrings, wake ups and safety department. So i went to the lab and tried to break things down , so i picked subzero as my opponent and set the icy slide reversal to see how things go regarding both his strings gaps and cancelling mid or at the end of the string into either disc or trap and it kinda put me off. because i realized :

blockstrings:
- 212 interruptible before last hit
- 211 interrutible before last hit
- b22d2 interruptible before last hit

cancels:
- 21 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- 122 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- b22 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- 32 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- d4 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- b311 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible
- f12 disk, trap or ex trap interruptible

The only true blockstring that cannot be interrupted is 4 ex trap, which is ironically very similar to subzero`s only safe f4 clone cancel. Now, the predator is generally slow compared to most of the cast although he excels at the range department. His wake up game is rather poor and he is easily rushed down with no real answer to characters in your face, apart from d3.

Well, applying the aforementioned cancels only with Hish qu ten variation, ending with a close low plasma shot, not a single time subzero was able to interrupt me which means there were no gaps and i was -1 which is safety.

Now, this really made me wonder, how good is this variation and is the predator really a solid character with all those gaps and below average speed, or is it because its a recently released character and something new?

My attention is shifting automatically towards Hish qu ten in the last few days because they share the same universal damaging combos and here you have the plasma which is good at mix ups, excellent recovery and its literally a meter filling machine.

Keep in mind, if we are talking about an armored launcher like kung lao`s spin it means you might get launched every time you try these primary strings or cancels, against someone who knows the gaps of course since most of them are slow and visually recognizable.

My question is, do you see this variation as a good competitive one that is going to leave a mark on the long run or is it just a matter of time before everyone moves on?

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts everyone, thank you !
This is an interesting post with some very astute points. However, I still firmly believe the answer to your question is that Hunter is absolutely a "good, competitive" variation in MKX for three primary reasons:

1) Even if what you claim is true (namely, that "Hunter only shines on knockdown"), being really good on knockdown in this game is a big deal. Virtually all of the top tier characters in MKX are particularly good at causing the opponent problems on knockdown. With the wake-up attack being so less dominant in MKX than it was in Injustice, shining on knockdown is of quintessential importance in MKX.

2) Hunter being able to initiate traps and disks from the air is HUGE. This essentially gives him a form of mobility that set-up characters very rarely have. Various people have mentioned Lex in this thread. The big issue Lex always had in Injustice was that he was a set up character with a lot of zoning tools who got badly out-zoned by the vast majority of the cast. But, imagine if he had the ability to put all of his toys onto the screen from the air. Doing so would have let safely him avoid a lot of zoning, while simultaneously setting up traps. This is what Hunter can do and do very well.

3) The hit-box on Hunter's snag/trap is ridiculously good.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
2) Hunter being able to initiate traps and disks from the air is HUGE. This essentially gives him a form of mobility that set-up characters very rarely have. Various people have mentioned Lex in this thread. The big issue Lex always had in Injustice was that he was a set up character with a lot of zoning tools who got badly out-zoned by the vast majority of the cast. But, imagine if he had the ability to put all of his toys onto the screen from the air. Doing so would have let safely him avoid a lot of zoning, while simultaneously setting up traps. This is what Hunter can do and do very well.
To be honest, his Air disc recovery and Air snag recovery are extremely slow. If you try to use it against any character in a neutral situation, you'll get blown up nearly 100% of the time. Any teleport, ground projectile that hits you after you land, or run into combo starter will work.
His only chance to setup traps safely is at the end of a combo

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
To be honest, his Air disc recovery and Air snag recovery are extremely slow. If you try to use it against any character in a neutral situation, you'll get blown up nearly 100% of the time. Any teleport, ground projectile that hits you after you land, or run into combo starter will work.
His only chance to setup traps safely is at the end of a combo
Nah, it should be used to avoid zoning. You have to anticipate your opponent throwing a projectile and then jump over it and set a trap or disk. It's not full proof by any means, but it's an option.

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
Traps aside, what do you think about the healing crap? I've not found an opportunity where healing myself is worth more than comboing, maybe I'm missing something here.

ando1184

Noob
Traps aside, what do you think about the healing crap? I've not found an opportunity where healing myself is worth more than comboing, maybe I'm missing something here.
To be honest idk why he even has healing in this variation. It would suit warrior much better but hey, NRS knows what they're doing right? :DOGE
That being said, heal works out best if you do it immidiately after a trap hits. It's like you said though, it's better just to finish the combo in most cases. Like everything else he has, heal is another special move with ass recovery.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I want to see footage of these matches where predator can't get anything on the screen at all because that is not the experience I'm having with this character